Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,174 posts
  • 859 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by bwalter
  • Topic is favorited by 532 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glasses.gif
    nedry.gif
    snaps.gif
    Screenshot_20240318_201633_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    7136153e-4781-4514-8f75-26077beb0e35-1655665323130 (resized).jpg
    designer-delays (resized).png
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1455.gif
    Skinner (resized).png
    26CDA9FF-5625-4BC0-AECC-1FF8C139FBFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5780 (resized).png
    bobbymcgeestub.png
    JT.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darth_chris.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I think you are right. COVID sparked a frenzy and that frenzy has already slowly started to fade and will continue over the next couple years. There are guys who got into the hobby last year and this year who are already selling their collections off. These guys jumped in head first and dropped lots of money on overpriced machines and they will be wanting to cash out and get their money back. Stern should be cautious because if all these guys start selling there is going to be a flood of games for sale on the secondary market.

That is exactly what i'm waiting for. Why put a deposit for a nib stern which I have no clue when or if i'm going to get it when I could wait for people to get out of the hobby. If stern were reliable with their production I would have bought a few nib like I did many time the previous years. But wait for 1 year for a pinball is a joke. If stern doesnt want my money the secondary market will get me what i'm looking for at a discount. The more people will start leaving at the same time, the better deals will be for my wallet. Just my opinion.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

So, if a manufacturer can't get the parts to produce the item you want to buy, that means that the manufacturer has proven to you that it doesn't want or care about your business?
    Geesh, man. Tough crowd.

You make it sound like I’m unreasonable. The fact that people put a deposit on a pin months ago and now they are getting push further because they come out with an elvira super magical edition who can sell for way more than a pro or premium. I think it's disrespectful.

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

look at the used market you can get a DP premium for $10-12k (asking price) or wait for Stern to make them and pay $8k.

I hear you, now is a bad time because of scarcity. But it's not always going to be like that. When the shine wears off and the FOMO on the newest toy come into play price will drop.

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

“Fire sales” where people sell off their entire collection at a discount are very rare events. More than likely a person getting out of the hobby is going to ask market price - which is currently above MSRP.
    Unfortunately (and oddly ironically), the best deal on a pin is NIB at MSRP - and the only way to get that is to make a deposit and get on a list. It’s sucks - but that’s where we are right now.

You are right about that but if stern doesn’t catch up at one point who knows. Do you feel confortable to make a deposit and wait 2 ? 3 years ? I'm not trying to be negative but it doesn’t seems like these problems will just disappear and still, they come up with 3 or 4 games a year. That could become a monstrous backlog.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

So the theory here is that shortage of inventory and increase in demand will lead to price decrease due to abandonment of the hobby by those frustrated with the finite number of available machines in the marketplace? Bally/Williams went under in 1999 and hasn't produced a single game in 22 years now. How did that lack of production effect the secondary market of those games in the time since?

There is no theory friend just my 2 cents opinion. I'm not saying I have any clue of what's to come, I was just saying that I prefer to wait before buying NIB again. I know people who buy rolex and sports cars make deposits years before getting the actual product. I'm not like that. It's not like thousands of people did not already take my place in the line.

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

The problem is they built a new 25k model while the people with deposits on the premium model continue to wait.

Right on 1000%

3 months later
    #1255 2 years ago

Last call would be brilliant but communication about production seems to be a problem with Stern

1 week later
    #1559 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Hell, I personally know of one person in the hobby who automatically gets an LE from a dealer and he/she ALWAYS puts it up for sale at a profit within 3-9 months (with very rare exception, and it's always NIB still). Not saying it's right or wrong, but if it's a title you REALLY want, too bad for you.. going to have to buy from the flipper.
    That's my $.02. Love you guys and the hobby. Sucks that it's gotten to this...

That's exactly what I understand. Distro will reserve LE's to their best customers who buy an LE on each release. If you want to be on the LE train you have to commit to buy an LE on each release. So this kinda force people who have FOMO to commit to that and flip the LE's they don't want for a profit. The way I see it it's only going to get worse.

#1622 2 years ago

Stern indeed is leaving a lot of money on the table to flippers. I know Stern doesnt want to get involve with the sales and leave that to distro but flipping a pin you bought at $10000 for $15000 to $20000 within a few days or weeks is a lot of money stern could get instead of these leeches.

Maybe they could see the potential with a sale department. More money for them and we might pay more but I prefer encouraging Stern and their product development than flippers leeches.

At least that's the way I see it. These distros lists who doesnt mean anything without knowing exactly how many they'll get is also a big turnoff.

7 months later
    #4221 1 year ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

WOW!!!! You’re kidding right? Astronomically high price, even with exchange rate factored. And that price spread of $9,000.00 between a pro and an LE: super WOW!!!!!!!

Makes you wonder what’s in Stern mind. If they can sell these pins at these prices all around the world no kidding they will keep increasing prices in North America.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darth_chris.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-on-the-line-at-stern-pinball-delays?tu=darth_chris and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.