Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,174 posts
  • 859 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by bwalter
  • Topic is favorited by 532 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glasses.gif
    nedry.gif
    snaps.gif
    Screenshot_20240318_201633_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    7136153e-4781-4514-8f75-26077beb0e35-1655665323130 (resized).jpg
    designer-delays (resized).png
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1455.gif
    Skinner (resized).png
    26CDA9FF-5625-4BC0-AECC-1FF8C139FBFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5780 (resized).png
    bobbymcgeestub.png
    JT.gif
    There are 8,174 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 164.
    #1551 2 years ago
    Quoted from sarty51:

Why would you want to wait that long? I ordered my GZ Premium at the end of February and received a March order.

Does seem that as more and more people flock to trusted/reputable/well-known distributors they end up back of the line. Those places can get 1k requests, but stern will only give them a small percentage. While smaller distributors might get something like 50 requests and have a better chance of getting all of them in.Its a weird balance. Sure Stern could give the bigger shops a higher allocation, but then they'd end up screwing over smaller/newer businesses.

#1552 2 years ago

Is it currently AIQ pro and Rush pro on the line (at the same time) and then AIQ premium and Rush Premium ?

#1553 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sleal16:Does seem that as more and more people flock to trusted/reputable/well-known distributors they end up back of the line. Those places can get 1k requests, but stern will only give them a small percentage. While smaller distributors might get something like 50 requests and have a better chance of getting all of them in.Its a weird balance. Sure Stern could give the bigger shops a higher allocation, but then they'd end up screwing over smaller/newer businesses.

Or they could just fill all orders and not do allocations. Want 1000 units? Here's a 1000 units.

I can see (maybe) them doing allocations for dealers, but distros? Sell them as many as they want. Distro's should be holding stock for a long time after a game ceases, that's why they're distros after all (and why they get better wholesale pricing over a dealer).

#1554 2 years ago

Makes ZERO sense now to try and order from one of the big distributors like XXXXXX (removed the name, I love them, just an example that's been mentioned here several times- pick any of the big Distros!).

There is already a bunch of people in this thread that are showing how they got GZ Premiums from smaller dealers already. Who wants to be "300" in line when they get 60 machines? When you can be #7 in line for a dealer getting 10. Everyone THINKS they are a VIP at some of the big dealers... but now that the lines are getting big and the heat is turned up, seems like people are getting hosed or left in line to fight it out with others just like the lines at Walmart on black Friday. I think some (including me) are finding out that we actually aren't the VIP's we thought we were lol. Numbers are slim, and some are going to have to be burned.

This is really going to change things going forward... on the next Stern release, it will be a shit show of who gets to be put in line first! Lots of pin flippers to fight with and you're going to get placed behind each of the big distributors real VIP's. How the hell is anyone actually going to try and get a game with the desperate onslaught of everyone here trying just to get a (new release) game? You know, a new release game without a year wait???

Hell, I personally know of one person in the hobby who automatically gets an LE from a dealer and he/she ALWAYS puts it up for sale at a profit within 3-9 months (with very rare exception, and it's always NIB still). Not saying it's right or wrong, but if it's a title you REALLY want, too bad for you.. going to have to buy from the flipper.

That's my $.02. Love you guys and the hobby. Sucks that it's gotten to this...

#1555 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz: Lots of pin flippers to fight with and you're going to get placed behind each of the big distributors real VIP's. How the hell is anyone actually going to try and get a game with the desperate onslaught of everyone here trying just to get a (new release) game? You know, a new release game without a year wait???
    Hell, I personally know of one person in the hobby who automatically gets an LE from a dealer and he/she ALWAYS puts it up for sale at a profit within 3-9 months (with very rare exception, and it's always NIB still). Not saying it's right or wrong, but if it's a title you REALLY want, too bad for you.. going to have to buy from the flipper.

The flippers to me are the most frustrating part of this. I can understand people making multiple orders to get a game to see who gets it’s first. That’s fine… at least they cancel the orders elsewhere when they get it. But the flippers….that’s just wrong I wish there was a way for it to stop and like you said they’re entrenched where they buy them. New machine? Guarantee purchase of possible multiple machines. As a distro they’d be crazy not to take their business but it’s wrong and I’m sure I’m a way it’s helping sterns argument to drive the price up as well. They have eyes, they get on pinside… they see those LE’s sell for 15-20k that new premium going for 12-15k. It wouldn’t be hard to look at that from sterns perspective and go hmmm seems like plenty of people are still willing to purchase at that price why are we shorting ourselves profits ?

#1556 2 years ago

Morons need to stop buying the inflated flipped games. The fomo frenzy is unreal with people (mostly new) in this hobby.

#1557 2 years ago
    Quoted from sarty51:

Why would you want to wait that long? I ordered my GZ Premium at the end of February and received a March order.

Wow! Who did you order with?

#1558 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

Curious how many posting here have actually been part of the process to bring an injection molded part into production. It's a complicated, costly, and lengthy process to get tooling designed, manufactured, and set-up for actual use on a product line. It's not something you simply choose to switch manufacturers on a whim - switching manufacturers often includes having new tooling made to accommodate the specific machines utilized by that different manufacturer.
    In a previous life, I was beholden to a specific supplier for my plastic parts ordered in the hundreds at a time. If that company was backed up with orders for other industries that buy parts by the 100s of thousands, too bad - I simply had to wait (sometimes months) until they ran my small batch. When ordering even 1000 pieces of a given part, the largest expense was tooling set-up time and not the actual parts themselves. And when tools aren't in use for producing parts, there's a cost for stowage in the warehouse until it's time for a new batch of parts to be made.
    I would have loved to bring this part making in-house, but the cost for machinery was beyond prohibitive and I didn't have the cash to also invest in tooling and skilled labor to set-up and operate the machines. O, I should also note that environmental laws are a major factor, in conjunction with labor rates, for these parts being made overseas on not here in the US
    Not offering excuses for Stern, just bringing some industry insight into the discussion to aid in understanding that not everything is as simplae as it may appear on the outside looking in

It is fast, cheap and easy!

Send your CAD files to HLH and get quote for the die mold, then choose to manufacture xxx units anytime you want.
    Few weeks time to be delivered.

https://www.hlhprototypes.com/

Leshine is great for CNC work and sheet-metal (cheaper than HLH)

http://www.leshine-rp.com/

It really couldn't be easier. I get stuff made often from Aluminum, Delrin, Steel, and other
    I machine my own titanium and have a fleet of resin 3d printers.

#1559 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

That's exactly what I understand. Distro will reserve LE's to their best customers who buy an LE on each release. If you want to be on the LE train you have to commit to buy an LE on each release. So this kinda force people who have FOMO to commit to that and flip the LE's they don't want for a profit. The way I see it it's only going to get worse.

#1560 2 years ago

Maybe its time to just do a Pro, Premium, and Ultra (in place of Limited) and not limit any quantities. If you want the Ultra, with different art and toy upgrades, then pay the extra cost for the extras.

This would eliminate the forced rush to buy each LE in case you actually want that Harry Potter LE someday. Or feeling like you have no chance at the Ultra because some bean counter decided only 250 would be the right quantity, so then the scalpers buy them up because they can flip them.

I personally hate the idea of agreeing to buy a game without seeing it and playing it in person.

#1561 2 years ago

Anyone get notified from their distro that their AIQ premium has shipped?

#1562 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

My GZ Pro arrived last Friday. Been playing it non stop. When I was talking to my distributor, he mentioned that Deadpool is scheduled to come late April to early May. If that is true, thats going to be amazing.

If true I'll be a happy man as I wasn't expecting my Deadpool till July.......

#1563 2 years ago
    Quoted from smoothbore19:

Anyone get notified from their distro that their AIQ premium has shipped?

I've got a deposit for AIQ pro myself.

This is my first NIB, does the distributor notify you if they don't get enough pins allocated to fulfill your place in the queue?

#1564 2 years ago

AIQ premium is my second NIB. On my first Mandalorian Premium i was notified for final payment when the distro had the machine in house. They told me the AIQ was the only machine they still had a slot for of any of the machines i would want, so I put a deposit down since they were supposed to be on the line this week and next. I was told with Mandalorian that if they didn't get enough to cover spot they would notify me.

#1565 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gizmata:

Maybe its time to just do a Pro, Premium, and Ultra (in place of Limited) and not limit any quantities. If you want the Ultra, with different art and toy upgrades, then pay the extra cost for the extras.
    This would eliminate the forced rush to buy each LE in case you actually want that Harry Potter LE someday. Or feeling like you have no chance at the Ultra because some bean counter decided only 250 would be the right quantity, so then the scalpers buy them up because they can flip them.
    I personally hate the idea of agreeing to buy a game without seeing it and playing it in person.

That's a great idea that has been floated around at different moments. The market may just about be ripe for this to happen because of how crazy the market as become.

#1566 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Makes ZERO sense now to try and order from one of the big distributors like XXXXXX (removed the name, I love them, just an example that's been mentioned here several times- pick any of the big Distros!).
    There is already a bunch of people in this thread that are showing how they got GZ Premiums from smaller dealers already. Who wants to be "300" in line when they get 60 machines? When you can be #7 in line for a dealer getting 10. Everyone THINKS they are a VIP at some of the big dealers... but now that the lines are getting big and the heat is turned up, seems like people are getting hosed or left in line to fight it out with others just like the lines at Walmart on black Friday. I think some (including me) are finding out that we actually aren't the VIP's we thought we were lol. Numbers are slim, and some are going to have to be burned.
    This is really going to change things going forward... on the next Stern release, it will be a shit show of who gets to be put in line first! Lots of pin flippers to fight with and you're going to get placed behind each of the big distributors real VIP's. How the hell is anyone actually going to try and get a game with the desperate onslaught of everyone here trying just to get a (new release) game? You know, a new release game without a year wait???

Wish I could double upvote some posts! Couldn't agree more..

#1567 2 years ago
    Quoted from JPloof:

Oh boy-- same!

#1568 2 years ago

Pinballs.com says aiq is enroute from factory on homepage so prob any day now.

#1569 2 years ago

following, did not know this thread existed.

#1570 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Yeah it's funny how some people think they are VIP customers with their dealers. Your dealers don't give a fuk about you, they will do whatever it takes to make more money. It's funny seeing people kiss ass to their dealers and talk good about them on the forums. They do this because they are delusional and they think the dealers like them for it and move them up the list. Lol. It never happens.

#1571 2 years ago

Here's a little production update for what's on the line with the JP shift. We should be able to get a more comprehensive plan once Stern releases its 2nd and 3rd quarter production schedule. But this is what it might look like now. I'm hearing from a couple people that JP has been pushed to end of June or beginning of July. I hear Deadpool has moved up to end of May. Not hearing anything for June yet, so there's still a possibility for a vault or special release.

If anyone hears anything different, let us know.

Apr 2022 - AIQ Pro & Premium
    Apr 2022 - Rush Pro & Premium
    May 2022 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    May 2022 - Deadpool Pro & Premium
    July 2022 - JP Pro & Premium
    July 2022 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    Aug 2022 - Star Wars Pro & Premium (original art package)
    Aug 2022 - NEW STERN CORNERSTONE
    Sep 2022 - Star Wars the pin (original & comic art)
    Oct 2022 - JP the pin
    Nov 2022 - Elvira Premium
    Dec 2022 - TMNT Pro & Premium

#1572 2 years ago
    Quoted from JPloof:

Quoted from JStoltz:

Oh boy-- same!

Me three!

#1573 2 years ago

One day, Stern will get caught up and the distros will have stock. One day... Things were so much easier when you could just walk in and buy one. I never did... but "those were the days".

#1574 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

One day, Stern will get caught up and the distros will have stock. One day... Things were so much easier when you could just walk in and buy one. I never did... but "those were the days".

Yep. I remember going into next level in Hillsboro,or and playing Deadpool, Iron Maiden, TMNT, and munsters. All in stock right on sight. All kinds of choices right in front of me! It was nice!

#1575 2 years ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Here's a little production update for what's on the line with the JP shift. We should be able to get a more comprehensive plan once Stern releases its 2nd and 3rd quarter production schedule. But this is what it might look like now. I'm hearing from a couple people that JP has been pushed to end of June or beginning of July. I hear Deadpool has moved up to end of May. Not hearing anything for June yet, so there's still a possibility for a vault or special release.
    If anyone hears anything different, let us know.
    Apr 2022 - AIQ Pro & Premium
    Apr 2022 - Rush Pro & Premium
    May 2022 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    May 2022 - Deadpool Pro & Premium
    July 2022 - JP Pro & Premium
    July 2022 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    Aug 2022 - Star Wars Pro & Premium (original art package)
    Sep 2022 - Star Wars the pin (original & comic art)
    Oct 2022 - JP the pin
    Nov 2022 - Elvira Premium
    Dec 2022 - TMNT Pro & Premium

So what happened to the Godzilla March/April production? If this is the case, I'm pissed!

#1576 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

So what happened to the Godzilla March/April production? If this is the case, I'm pissed!

Already built and shipped

#1577 2 years ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Can someone share the link to the next Stern thread? I must have drained the topic by mistake..

#1578 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Yep, I didn’t get mine either

#1579 2 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

Yep, I didn’t get mine either

Right? My $1 deposit on Monday didn't get me one either!! ROBBED!!!

#1580 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Can someone share the link to the next Stern thread? I must have drained the topic by mistake..

There you go!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/527#post-6870547

#1581 2 years ago

Stern is very active on social media. It would be really nice if they did a “happy Monday, here’s what’s getting made today.” Sort of quick pic/video on mondays. It’s pretty easy to do now that clips/stories are a big part of FB/IG and even YT.

#1582 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

Morons need to stop buying the inflated flipped games. The fomo frenzy is unreal with people (mostly new) in this hobby.

So you're saying most people new to the hobby are morons. Got it. Thanks.

#1583 2 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

“happy Monday, here’s what’s getting made today.”

Exactly! It says "hey, people want our stuff, we are cranking away!"

#1584 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gizmata:

I think it's time to go back to one model period - the "base" model if you will. This whole tiered versions BS has caused nothing but headaches everywhere all so people can get some stupid ass topper or accessories that no one who really plays gives a shit about.
    Make a base model with a playfield the designer intended, and let all the people who want to decorate their games like a child's bedroom buy all of it online as accessories.

#1585 2 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

I think it's time to go back to one model period - the "base" model if you will. This whole tiered versions BS has caused nothing but headaches everywhere all so people can get some stupid ass topper or accessories that no one who really plays gives a shit about.
    Make a base model with a playfield the designer intended, and let all the people who want to decorate their games like a child's bedroom buy all of it online as accessories.

This isn't about anyone else. It's really not about the pinball buyers. It's that there IS pinball buyers. These models are for the company to make more money. That's the bottom line.

#1586 2 years ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Not fully.

They ran out of parts on the GZ just last week and are finishing it up (now that they have the parts?) after AIQ gets off the line shortly.

#1587 2 years ago

lol says the guy with the Don Knots Avatar / He was not the Brightest deputy ever !

Quoted from BZarrCaptain:So you're saying most people new to the hobby are morons. Got it. Thanks.

#1588 2 years ago

If the new stern is supposed to go on the line last 1/2 of august when would we have news of release? I’d love for everyone to jump the GZ train for something else and move me up in line LOL

#1589 2 years ago
    Quoted from shanksfornothin:

If the new stern is supposed to go on the line last 1/2 of august when would we have news of release? I’d love for everyone to jump the GZ train for something else and move me up in line LOL

Usually announcement/teaser is a couple of days up to a week before they go "on sale"

#1590 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Got my Pro today.
    Ordered Feb 7.
    I guess it depends on which dealer you used.

#1591 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Not fully.
    They ran out of parts on the GZ just last week and are finishing it up (now that they have the parts?) after AIQ gets off the line shortly.

I heard this same thing, hopefully more will be made for us “March” premium people

#1592 2 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

It is - but not as weird as people keeping their distributor a secret. It’s like there is something to lose by mentioning it. Transparency is a good thing for US THE CONSUMERS.

People value their respective personal relationships with their various distributors and don’t want to talk about them and share private conversations they may have had publicly on a message board. Doesn’t seem weird at all.

As Pinball-wiz mentions, a lot of people probably think/thought they have/had closer relationships with their distributor than they actually do. Distributors are salesmen…salesmen are usually nice and charming people by the very nature of their career path they have chosen. The good feelings many of them display for their customers is probably very real, but they can each only make so many people true VIP and they just can’t stock product.

#1593 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gizmata:

How would this help Stern as a business? This FOMO LE model is what toon Stern out of the dark ages when they almost went out of business and made them into a company where they can’t even come close to satisfying the record demand despite twice moving in to bigger and better facilities. The other companies are copying this model…nothing else works to move product as well as FOMO.

Quoted from Gizmata:

This would eliminate the forced rush to buy each LE in case you actually want that Harry Potter LE someday.

Stern benefits from the FOMO. They want the forced rush to buy…it is catapulting their business. If CrazyLevi were in this thread he would be saying how Stern would go out of business if Pinside ran them for a year.

#1594 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Haha! Dude, you were the one that walked into a dealer and bought a floor model GZ just a couple months ago! Those days still exist, just gotta find the right place…

#1595 2 years ago

Has anyone heard anything about accessories? Shortage of shaker motors, rush expression light system, etc?

#1596 2 years ago
    Quoted from shanksfornothin:

If JJP Toy Story-themed pin really is coming in June, maybe Stern will do their usual and make an announcement just before to steal some of JJP's thunder...

#1597 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How would this help Stern as a business? This FOMO LE model is what toon Stern out of the dark ages when they almost went out of business and made them into a company where they can’t even come close to satisfying the record demand despite twice moving in to bigger and better facilities. The other companies are copying this model…nothing else works to move product as well as FOMO.

Stern benefits from the FOMO. They want the forced rush to buy…it is catapulting their business. If CrazyLevi were in this thread he would be saying how Stern would go out of business if Pinside ran them for a year.

Agreed.
    Greed is bad, it will probably kill their business as the prices will continue to rise and more people are priced out.

With this demand is surprising that there are not any more companies making pinball machines which led me to believe the demand is being controlled by Stern.

I can easily get almost any other game. And I recently tried and actually did…Really. But not a Stern. I have to wait several months for one… nonetheless they kept on pumping new titles like there was no tomorrow…
    You dont go pumping new titles out when you have a supply issue, no? Seems really poorly organized.
    They are controlling the market in a sense? Perhaps making less games than they said they did…not sure…
    Weird

#1598 2 years ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Speak for yourself.
    Built: Maybe
    Shipped: "Monday"
    Or so I was told last Thursday when I paid my game off. A week later I am told the same thing "Monday it will ship" Maybe I need to clarify a date....
    Not a huge fan of dropping thousands of dollars and waiting for months for it not to be shipped but at least I got one....I hope

#1599 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Greed is bad, it will probably kill their business as the prices will continue to rise and more people are priced out.

So many people are buying their games that no one can get one anymore.

#1600 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

With this demand is surprising that there are not any more companies making pinball machines which led me to believe the demand is being controlled by Stern.

Well, what is this fabled demand? 300 orders at one of the most well known distributors? LOL!

That’s “insane” demand?

No one here on pinside knows what the real demand is. Pinball is a total niche market and it just happens that the target demographic is *currently* swimming in easy money and throws thousands of $ onto some LE that cost Stern about $98 extra to make.

Stern may control this or they may just be such small fry to their suppliers that they can’t build more toys for the whopping few thousand units target market because of the stereotypical parts shortage.

Even if there are 20000 Godzilla pre-orders, that’s still a total niche. It’s a ridiculously small market in the grand scheme of things and given how fickle (and complicated) this is (cough Ultraman, cough Dialed In, POTC etc.), not that many entrepreneurs and investors will touch this with a 100ft pole. Easier to just invest in Bitcoin or Tesla.

There are 8,174 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-on-the-line-at-stern-pinball-delays/page/32?hl=simpleskin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.