Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,090 posts
  • 853 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by matt68061
  • Topic is favorited by 531 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

snaps.gif
    Screenshot_20240318_201633_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    7136153e-4781-4514-8f75-26077beb0e35-1655665323130 (resized).jpg
    designer-delays (resized).png
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1455.gif
    Skinner (resized).png
    26CDA9FF-5625-4BC0-AECC-1FF8C139FBFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5780 (resized).png
    bobbymcgeestub.png
    JT.gif
    IMG_5830 (resized).jpg
    hmm-futurama.gif

There are 8,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 162.
    #6301 10 months ago

Kind of surprised they'd be running more AIQ - it seems like most distribs have stock already and the used market is full of them.

#6302 10 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

Non refundable deposits should only exist on items that would not have been inventoried if not for a specific order
    With games like JP, GZ, FF it seems like distributors are taking whatever Stern gives them, so it’s a little silly to take a “non refundable” $1000 (or $2000????) from a customer for a game that will sell one way or another. To be fair, all the distributors I’ve dealt with have had really fair policies in this respect
    Yes this topic has been beaten to death, but new people come along every week and I think it’s just as relevant as a production schedule that changes daily

See, I see it being MORE reasonable to take a deposit for high-demand games. Otherwise you would get people gaming the system, putting orders in at every distributor they can, and then just accept delivery on the first one that arrives, canceling all the other ones, throwing the waiting list and time estimates for everyone else into complete disarray.

For games that wouldn't have been inventoried otherwise, lets be honest, it's a buyer's market and there's probably some distro out there who's got it in stock and can ship immediately. Forcing a large deposit would just lose a potential customer, though it's up to the distro to decide what's worse, that or having to keep stock if they bail.

#6303 10 months ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Kind of surprised they'd be running more AIQ - it seems like most distribs have stock already and the used market is full of them.

I was about to say the same thing. AIQ is dropping down there with Mando and Turtles in terms of demand and value.

My guess would be Stern already has the parts on hand so may as well build the machines anyway. Can't exactly use a Captain Marvel wireform for anything else.

#6304 10 months ago

Ive said this before, but as MBL says, new buyers are coming in this thread and may not have read all the past post, which i understand with 8k+ post

Go with a distributor that you feel comfortable with, if a distro isnt making your experience as enjoyable as they can, then they are not the right one. Now this doesnt mean that they can pull a game out of their ass, but as long as they are doing what they can, then stick with them

Deposits. They are almost useless in a sense. No one really seems to understand the true purpose of a deposit. In reality, if you place a deposit and the dealer has stuck to their terms, ie, able to provide you the game you placed it on, in a reasonably close time to what was thought at the time you placed it then really it should not be refundable in instances where you changed your mind, or found another cheaper, or found one in stock

Now in reality. We (Tilt Amusements) have always made the deposit refundable, this is just our practicve, and the deposit is only 100.00 so its not like we are holding a ton of your money. When someone ask for a deposit back, i will ask them why, not that it matters, they will be refunded. But id like to know if it was something that i did that caused them to ask for it back. Just so that i can always grow and improve my customer service.

Lastly, COMMUNICATION!!. There is NO excuse why a dealer should not reply to your emails, we work for you! I will always reply to your emails, I cant guarantee it will be an answer you like (when asking about timeframes/delays) but i will answer every single email you send. Now im not going to lie, some of them are frustrating for us to deal with. For example. You place a deposit on a Foo Fighters premium, at the time you placed the order, I tell you that we are expecting a 6-8 month wait currently, as our best guestimate. So a week after placing a deposit, ill occasionally get an email asking for any update on their order. Its been a week and i said 6-8 months, clearly, the game is not ready. But ill still answer reminiding them that its a 6-8 month wait. Also, one of the things that some ask for is updates, Thats a hard one. With all of us having waitlist with deposits, and the ever changing production schedule, its not that we dont want to give updates, its that we dont know the answer. Believe me, the day that the game is ready to ship, I WILL BE CONTACTING YOU. We dont make anything until you pay for the game. Which brings another point often brought up. Paid in full, I really dont understand why anyone would want to accept payment in full before the game is ready. I dont want to sit on your money for lenghtly times. We only require it on LE models. all pro and premium are only due at time the game is ready to ship. Not when we get our allotment numbers for an upcoming run. Because we dont want you upset if the run gets pushed back and we are sitting on your money. So only buy from a distributor that you are happy with the payment terms period, If you dont like the terms and still place the order/payment, the only person to be upset with then is yourself

Transferring of deposits. Personally, im not a fan of it, ide rather just return it, its more paperwork on us. Although i do it, if i have a person do it multiple times, i eventually will just tell them that ill refund the original deposit and when they are actually ready to purchase, then let me know. I had someone place a deposit, then when the next shiny thing came out, they asked to transfer it. I did, but then the next shiny thing came out and they wanted it transferred again, again, i did. But then they did it again, so that is when i finally said, here is a refund, let me know when your ready

#6305 10 months ago

This is great to hear. Communication is SUPER important to me and really top on my list. Lack thereof is the #1 way to ruin any relationship, and this is certainly not limited to hobbies. Thanks for posting this.

Quoted from Tilt:

Lastly, COMMUNICATION!!. There is NO excuse why a dealer should not reply to your emails, we work for you! I will always reply to your emails, I cant guarantee it will be an answer you like (when asking about timeframes/delays) but i will answer every single email you send.

#6306 10 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

Non refundable deposits should only exist on items that would not have been inventoried if not for a specific order
    With games like JP, GZ, FF it seems like distributors are taking whatever Stern gives them, so it’s a little silly to take a “non refundable” $1000 (or $2000????) from a customer for a game that will sell one way or another. To be fair, all the distributors I’ve dealt with have had really fair policies in this respect
    Yes this topic has been beaten to death, but new people come along every week and I think it’s just as relevant as a production schedule that changes daily

Seeing how local distro have a ton of unsold sterns NIB, I don't see how that is true. Some games are in demand yes, but the dealers are also stuck with many games when they don't move and these are machines they have to invest thousands of dollars on to "put on a shelf". I'm sure all those dealers with unsold Turtles and other titles for over a year and thousands invested are happy.

Our sole JJP dealer has several TS4 that haven't sold in almost a year.

#6307 10 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Seeing how local distro have a ton of unsold sterns NIB, I don't see how that is true. Some games are in demand yes, but the dealers are also stuck with many games when they don't move and these are machines they have to invest thousands of dollars on to "put on a shelf". I'm sure all those dealers with unsold Turtles and other titles for over a year and thousands invested are happy.

Prior to the COVID pinball boom, dealer stock was a normal, expected thing. Then all these new dealers popped up when they realized they could "float" on preorders and never having to stock games and just have machines pass through them as they were built for a quick and relatively painless profit. When the slingshot snaps back, some of these new dealers are going to get squeezed out.

#6308 10 months ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Ive said this before, but as MBL says, new buyers are coming in this thread and may not have read all the past post, which i understand with 8k+ post
    Go with a distributor that you feel comfortable with, if a distro isnt making your experience as enjoyable as they can, then they are not the right one. Now this doesnt mean that they can pull a game out of their ass, but as long as they are doing what they can, then stick with them
    Deposits. They are almost useless in a sense. No one really seems to understand the true purpose of a deposit. In reality, if you place a deposit and the dealer has stuck to their terms, ie, able to provide you the game you placed it on, in a reasonably close time to what was thought at the time you placed it then really it should not be refundable in instances where you changed your mind, or found another cheaper, or found one in stock
    Now in reality. We (Tilt Amusements) have always made the deposit refundable, this is just our practicve, and the deposit is only 100.00 so its not like we are holding a ton of your money. When someone ask for a deposit back, i will ask them why, not that it matters, they will be refunded. But id like to know if it was something that i did that caused them to ask for it back. Just so that i can always grow and improve my customer service.
    Lastly, COMMUNICATION!!. There is NO excuse why a dealer should not reply to your emails, we work for you! I will always reply to your emails, I cant guarantee it will be an answer you like (when asking about timeframes/delays) but i will answer every single email you send. Now im not going to lie, some of them are frustrating for us to deal with. For example. You place a deposit on a Foo Fighters premium, at the time you placed the order, I tell you that we are expecting a 6-8 month wait currently, as our best guestimate. So a week after placing a deposit, ill occasionally get an email asking for any update on their order. Its been a week and i said 6-8 months, clearly, the game is not ready. But ill still answer reminiding them that its a 6-8 month wait. Also, one of the things that some ask for is updates, Thats a hard one. With all of us having waitlist with deposits, and the ever changing production schedule, its not that we dont want to give updates, its that we dont know the answer. Believe me, the day that the game is ready to ship, I WILL BE CONTACTING YOU. We dont make anything until you pay for the game. Which brings another point often brought up. Paid in full, I really dont understand why anyone would want to accept payment in full before the game is ready. I dont want to sit on your money for lenghtly times. We only require it on LE models. all pro and premium are only due at time the game is ready to ship. Not when we get our allotment numbers for an upcoming run. Because we dont want you upset if the run gets pushed back and we are sitting on your money. So only buy from a distributor that you are happy with the payment terms period, If you dont like the terms and still place the order/payment, the only person to be upset with then is yourself
    Transferring of deposits. Personally, im not a fan of it, ide rather just return it, its more paperwork on us. Although i do it, if i have a person do it multiple times, i eventually will just tell them that ill refund the original deposit and when they are actually ready to purchase, then let me know. I had someone place a deposit, then when the next shiny thing came out, they asked to transfer it. I did, but then the next shiny thing came out and they wanted it transferred again, again, i did. But then they did it again, so that is when i finally said, here is a refund, let me know when your ready

Well spoken!

Communication is key these days in any type of business. I get at times, people and companies are short staffed. You might not get the answer you're looking for because the answer is not readily available or responses may be delayed. But at the end of the day, an acknowledgment to the inquiring person goes a long way.

#6309 10 months ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

I was about to say the same thing. AIQ is dropping down there with Mando and Turtles in terms of demand and value.
    My guess would be Stern already has the parts on hand so may as well build the machines anyway. Can't exactly use a Captain Marvel wireform for anything else.

Erik: As usual, I agree with you - although I WISH there were other machines you could put the Captain Marvel wireform on. It's my favorite ramp in pinball. If they really have surplus, just design another machine that uses it, LoL. My vote would be for a Kill Bill machine.

#6310 10 months ago

I really haven't seen dealers with stockpiled AIQ in stock. Looks like all the big distros are out of stock and just taking preorders. None of the local dealers have it in stock either here. It's a good seller that seems to have no issue moving.

Now Star Wars which is run far more, those are everywhere

#6311 10 months ago

At these prices if a title isn't amazing and has near universal praise it's going to sit. Enough customers know that due to these insane prices that if a game isn't a big hit that they will take a larger loss on the secondary market compared to years past. TMNT, Mando, Toy Story, Bond, GNR, and now Godfather are all examples. Those are all fun games but they are not exactly setting the world on fire. Why buy NIB when you can save $2k and buy used? As for Godzilla it's the opposite, why buy used and save $500 when you can buy new and have the game delivered to your house?

I'm sure some of those titles above will eventually go up in value but it's going to take years (longer then in the past) and for them to go out of production. TMNT, Mando, and AIQ all have something in common and that is there were all under $8k NIB at one point. Stern then did a few big price jobs and now they are suddenly close to $10k NIB for a premium. Customers know this. It's one of the reasons why I had a hard time selling my TMNT Premium for $7500 despite them being close to $10k new.

#6312 10 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I really haven't seen dealers with stockpiled AIQ in stock. Looks like all the big distros are out of stock and just taking preorders. None of the local dealers have it in stock either here. It's a good seller that seems to have no issue moving.
    Now Star Wars which is run far more, those are everywhere

Star Wars was last run 8 months ago, AIQ 14 months ago. 6 months ago, you could definitely find AIQ sitting around.

AIQ Prem: 605 pinside owners, $8.5k avg used price
    AIQ Pro: 380 pinside owners, $6.4k avg used price
    respectable, but does not compare to JP, DP, IMDN.

IMDN Prem: 768 pinside owners, $10.5k avg used price
    IMDN Pro: 759 pinside owners, $7.1k avg used price

Guarantee you AIQ is gonna sit at dealers for 6+ months if they make more than a few of them. One thing helping prop it up is that many people want a full set of Elwins, including people just getting into the hobby now.

#6313 10 months ago

Sorokyl: thanks for pulling those stats together. Very helpful.

#6314 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

many people want a full set of Elwins, including people just getting into the hobby now.

That's right on, my man! And for damn good reason.

#6315 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Star Wars was last run 8 months ago, AIQ 14 months ago. 6 months ago, you could definitely find AIQ sitting around.
    AIQ Prem: 605 pinside owners, $8.5k avg used price
    AIQ Pro: 380 pinside owners, $6.4k avg used price
    respectable, but does not compare to JP, DP, IMDN.
    IMDN Prem: 768 pinside owners, $10.5k avg used price
    IMDN Pro: 759 pinside owners, $7.1k avg used price
    Guarantee you AIQ is gonna sit at dealers for 6+ months if they make more than a few of them. One thing helping prop it up is that many people want a full set of Elwins, including people just getting into the hobby now.

I like your analysis, but wonder if it takes into account like-for-like comparisons? What I am talking about is the topper and it is a valuable asset. Stern prices of toppers range from $900 - $2.5k when issued. Some are highly sought after and market sale prices for those could be much higher even in used condition. Now some toppers are not well respected, but the choice of topper or no topper greatly impacts offer price. So generally if you were going to track only games with toppers, then sales of games without would be excluded from your analysis. Is it a pain to account for the topper in your data? Yes, but seeing how it almost adds $1k-$3k to list price. Ignoring this factor from your analysis would be negligent.

#6316 10 months ago

FWIW, I just picked up another NIB JP-Premium today, shipped from Stern this week. The production line must still be cranking a few more JP-Premium units out! Sounds like they have multiple lines active right now, with 3-4 titles being produced at the same time. What a logistic challenge to be sure....

#6317 10 months ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

FWIW, I just picked up another NIB JP-Premium today, shipped from Stern this week. The production line must still be cranking a few more JP-Premium units out! Sounds like they have multiple lines active right now, with 3-4 titles being produced at the same time. What a logistic challenge to be sure....

Uhh.. How many times have you bought that game?

#6318 10 months ago

Finally received shipping notification of JP Premium a few minutes ago. 1st Time Buyer of a Pin, so nervous about everything. Potential shipping dmg, something not working out-of-the-box. But, mostly worried about things I should be doing to protect my machine up-front.

Only been waiting since making deposit on this back in October of '21!

#6319 10 months ago
    Quoted from FantaZ:

Finally received shipping notification of JP Premium a few minutes ago. 1st Time Buyer of a Pin, so nervous about everything. Potential shipping dmg, something not working out-of-the-box. But, mostly worried about things I should be doing to protect my machine up-front.
    Only been waiting since making deposit on this back in October of '21!

Make sure to thoroughly inspect the machine before signing for it. I had a Godzilla delivered in February that had a perfect box, so I signed for it. Turns out it was smashed up inside with no evidence on the outside. Took about two months to ship it back to stern and get fully resolved. The second time it was shipped to me I made sure to open the box and inspect before signing (and FedEx was cool about me doing that).

#6320 10 months ago

Anyone else hear that Foo premiums are delayed due to smudged artwork? I'm assuming another printing issue like turtles.

#6321 10 months ago
    Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Anyone else hear that Foo premiums are delayed due to smudged artwork? I'm assuming another printing issue like turtles.

Saw a picture on FB from he who is no longer on Pinside.

#6322 10 months ago

I’d prefer they slow things down and actually QC some of the games leaving their plant. Seen some pretty shoddy workmanship leaving the factory in the Foo thread.

#6323 10 months ago

IMDN INVOICED & PAID!!

#6324 10 months ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

I’d prefer they slow things down and actually QC some of the games leaving their plant. Seen some pretty shoddy workmanship leaving the factory in the Foo thread.

Not just foo, here is the crooked ass weld on my shooter lane cover for Elvira from February.
    My disti submitted a warranty claim for a new apron and it was approved. Waiting on the apron but replacement decals showed up yesterday, but they were decals for whoa Nellie not Elvira lol

PXL_20230320_204430346 (resized).jpgPXL_20230320_204430346 (resized).jpg

#6325 10 months ago

I was told today that Iron Maiden Premiums are due to hit the line by 6/12. Schedule Changes almost daily, but glad to get an update.

#6326 10 months ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Uhh.. How many times have you bought that game?

THREE. (I know, I know, don't ask....)

#6327 10 months ago
    Quoted from Walk:

IMDN INVOICED & PAID!!

Pro or Prem?

#6328 10 months ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

I was told today that Iron Maiden Premiums are due to hit the line by 6/12. Schedule Changes almost daily, but glad to get an update.

That’s what I had heard from my dist too.

#6329 10 months ago

I'm surprised more distys don't do weekly email newsletter updates or social media posts to cover the hottest questions. I think that would cut down the number of emails and phone calls looking for updates

#6330 10 months ago
    Quoted from Redliner911:

I'm surprised more distys don't do weekly email newsletter updates or social media posts to cover the hottest questions. I think that would cut down the number of emails and phone calls looking for updates

Great point. Even my board game online stores do this!

#6331 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Not just foo, here is the crooked ass weld on my shooter lane cover for Elvira from February.
    My disti submitted a warranty claim for a new apron and it was approved. Waiting on the apron but replacement decals showed up yesterday, but they were decals for whoa Nellie not Elvira lol
    [quoted image]

Those decals come off easy and can be reused.

#6332 10 months ago
    Quoted from Redliner911:

I pay like $900 a month for constant contact for newsletters. I have a huge email list but still it gets expensive. It really drives in sales. Do a blast or sale in something and it’s worth every penny.

#6333 10 months ago

Foo Prem arrived today...4/20 build date. So it sat somewhere a while until the distributor received it last week. Maybe aggregating a truckload from Stern? Who knows. Game looks fabulous though...no issues to report. Truck driver from R&L did a Ricky Bobby into my neighborhood and did his best to roll it off the pallet jack 3x but I saved him. Haha.

#6334 10 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Foo Prem arrived today...4/20 build date. So it sat somewhere a while until the distributor received it last week. Maybe aggregating a truckload from Stern? Who knows. Game looks fabulous though...no issues to report. Truck driver from R&L did a Ricky Bobby into my neighborhood and did his best to roll it off the pallet jack 3x but I saved him. Haha.

Mine had a 4/19 build date and was delivered here 3 weeks ago, and that was Chicago -> ATL -> Detroit. Somebody took a wrong turn at Albuquerque!

Driver guy for mine did a little shake 'n bake as well but I'm always impressed how they get a big rig spun around in my cul-de-sac.

Congrats on the new arrival!

#6335 10 months ago
    Quoted from Desmodromic:

Mine had a 4/19 build date and was delivered here 3 weeks ago, and that was Chicago -> ATL -> Detroit. Somebody took a wrong turn at Albuquerque!
    Driver guy for mine did a little shake 'n bake as well but I'm always impressed how they get a big rig spun around in my cul-de-sac.
    Congrats on the new arrival!

I'm still waiting for my Foo Prem. Was told last week by Classic Game Rooms, he heard they may be coming this week....But so far I haven't had any shipment updates yet..... Killing me waiting. I don't want the annoy the distro either, so I'm trying my hardest not to e-mail him daily. On the bright side I hit my all time high scores on Godzilla last night hitting 3.2 billion and finally making it to Planet X, and also on Stranger Things hitting 4.5 billion beating the game!!

#6336 10 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

420 dude!

#6337 10 months ago

Any word on if the Deadpool run in August will be its last call?

#6338 10 months ago
    Quoted from nullPinner:

Deadpool can never truly die, so even if they do last call, it's got to be more like a pause to stay true to the license. Stern misunderstood the license terms for an immortal character. It's not "all you WANT TO make" it's "all you CAN make."

#6339 10 months ago

Pro

#6340 10 months ago
    Quoted from Walk:

IMDN INVOICED & PAID!!

Me too!!

#6341 10 months ago
    Quoted from nullPinner:

There were some chit chat last summer on pinside about it being the pre-final run. Mostly because the pin is nearing end of production but they'll formally announce a final run to drum up business.

#6342 10 months ago

I’m just hoping I get a Godzilla in June or July. Let’s see what happens on factory Friday. I won’t be surprised if I see another week of Foo.

#6343 10 months ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

THREE. (I know, I know, don't ask....)

I'm asking... Why?

#6344 10 months ago

hell yeah! Hopefully i get the call today for my pro! I know my distributor is closed friday lol

#6345 10 months ago

just got the email. IMDN Pro
    "I was just told we are picking these up today, so your pinball will be ready to ship next week."

hell yeah!!

#6346 10 months ago
    Quoted from B-low99:

just got the email. IMDN Pro
    "I was just told we are picking these up today, so your pinball will be ready to ship next week."
    hell yeah!!

Awesome!! I finally played a pro on location and it just clicked with me immediately. Then then the pro run was announced and it was meant to be..haha

#6347 10 months ago
    Quoted from jdlang11:

Awesome!! I finally played a pro on location and it just clicked with me immediately. Then then the pro run was announced and it was meant to be..haha

i have been a big Maiden fan since the 80's. I wasn't able to get the first few runs. But saw they were doing a run in May so I hoped on board! I can't wait. I am also picking up a Bally's Kiss on June 9th in Missouri. It's like Christmas!!

#6348 10 months ago
    Quoted from B-low99:

i have been a big Maiden fan since the 80's. I wasn't able to get the first few runs. But saw they were doing a run in May so I hoped on board! I can't wait. I am also picking up a Bally's Kiss on June 9th in Missouri. It's like Christmas!!

I'm getting Iron Maiden Premium soon. I cannot wait!!

I only just became a fan because of Pinball. Same with Rush.

#6349 10 months ago

Stern could re-release many of the Classic games with Stern Insider such as:
    Tron, Spider Man, Met Pro, LOTR and others and sell em slightly lower than a PRO
    and print money.

#6350 10 months ago
    Quoted from B-low99:

Iron Maiden Pro was my gateway drug into this hobby. I bought it because I am a huge Maiden fan. Now I can't stop buying pinball machines.

There are 8,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 162.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-on-the-line-at-stern-pinball-delays/page/127 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.