Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,156 posts
  • 858 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by big-c66
  • Topic is favorited by 533 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glasses.gif
    nedry.gif
    snaps.gif
    Screenshot_20240318_201633_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    7136153e-4781-4514-8f75-26077beb0e35-1655665323130 (resized).jpg
    designer-delays (resized).png
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1455.gif
    Skinner (resized).png
    26CDA9FF-5625-4BC0-AECC-1FF8C139FBFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5780 (resized).png
    bobbymcgeestub.png
    JT.gif
    There are 8,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 164.
    #5651 1 year ago
    Quoted from mronemoretime:

I ordered my GZPrem on 3/4/2022, and it is scheduled to finally be delivered 3/28/2023. 389 days later. I paid in full over 2 months ago, and I've been reminding them periodically. It seems like these are widely available now. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong here. Plus this is the 5th game I've bought from them. Should I find another distributor? I know this has been a HOT pin, but am I an outlier, or does this seem normal?

Waiting since Oct 21 here. GZ arrives tomorrow. There seems to be so much demand the GZ that it’s just really tough to find. I did find one about 6 months ago I could have swapped too, but I decided not to burn the bridge with a distro I’ve enjoyed working with for years.

#5652 1 year ago

Ya, maybe I should try a smaller distributor next time. Thanks for the insight.

#5653 1 year ago
    Quoted from mronemoretime:

I ordered my GZPrem on 3/4/2022, and it is scheduled to finally be delivered 3/28/2023. 389 days later. I paid in full over 2 months ago, and I've been reminding them periodically. It seems like these are widely available now. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong here. Plus this is the 5th game I've bought from them. Should I find another distributor? I know this has been a HOT pin, but am I an outlier, or does this seem normal?

For the most part aside from Pulp Fiction LE it looks like we are going back to when the games will just be in stock shortly after reveal no matter the distro. But the bigger ones had much longer lists and smaller distros didn't so they have inventory now. Same thing with Elvira there are larger distros with lists still but some have inventory. Personally if the distributor is a good one I would stick with it and figure GZ was a bit of an odd situation of demand and production challenges.

#5654 1 year ago

Stern has publicly stated that they are bringing some of the external operations in house at the new facility. It can be assumed that these are some of the operations which caused delays in the past, so they can be more in control of lead times.

Having another production line running will also hopefully allow them to be able to better stock their distributors going forward. I am not sure how many lines they are going to have...but having at least 3 separate lines would allow them to produce new release Pro/Prem/LE machines concurrently at launch, and strike at the point of peak FOMO and "gotta have it now" folks.

#5655 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Stern has publicly stated that they are bringing some of the external operations in house at the new facility. It can be assumed that these are some of the operations which caused delays in the past, so they can be more in control of lead times.
    Having another production line running will also hopefully allow them to be able to better stock their distributors going forward. I am not sure how many lines they are going to have...but having at least 3 separate lines would allow them to produce new release Pro/Prem/LE machines concurrently at launch, and strike at the point of peak FOMO and "gotta have it now" folks.

Making LE, prem, and then Pro in that order is a calculated decision and I doubt they'd make them all at the same time even if they could.

If they had 3 lines right now I assume 1 would run GZ, 1 would run FF, and one would cycle between other games (dp,imdn,jp) over the next month or so.

#5656 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

A full month dedicated to IMDN? I would bet May gets split up with another title.

I am thinking of getting the Maiden. Quick question are any issues if existed on previous made 2018 version being addressed or fixed or tweaked for new run that anyone is aware of on Maiden?

#5657 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Making LE, prem, and then Pro in that order is a calculated decision and I doubt they'd make them all at the same time even if they could.

And worse, putting a 5-6 month gap between the first location-only Pro run and the home run is absolutely to push as many people into the Prem tier by making the wait for a Pro huge. It didn't use to be that way and is all about de-emphasizing their low-margin Pro for home users.

#5658 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

I’m surprised theyre making more Bonds

Agreed - Bond seems to be everywhere and anywhere you want to buy one.

#5659 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I am thinking of getting the Maiden. Quick question are any issues if existed on previous made 2018 version being addressed or fixed or tweaked for new run that anyone is aware of on Maiden?

One thing is that the art will be pulled back from the posts (original runs did not do this) to prevent pooling.

#5660 1 year ago

hopefully they will ditch that awful yellow T-molding on IM Premium. It’s one of the first things I’ll be changing when mine arrives.

#5661 1 year ago

Stern changed something with the playfield backboard in 2021's run (the last one). I don't know what it is yet, but it made the clearance different so the 3D Anubis won't work on the Prem anymore and needs different screws to work on a Pro. I have one of these new run Premiums coming to hopefully figure out a workaround. A lot of people still want them, but I can't sell it to 2021 run owners because I can't be sure it will work.

#5662 1 year ago
    Quoted from Herm:

I have an HoH premium on order and last week when I checked I was told last week they said there was a parts delay with Elvira. Any weight with that?

Oh, fork!
    For real?
    Not good.
    I'm waiting for my shipping alert from my distro but it's not coming and I'm starting to worry. I know this last run was interrupted and as a result went from one week to three. I also know that some distros are still waiting for their machines. I'm trying to nail down when I can assume that I missed out. Don't you think distros will have all the games their going to get by, say, April 1st? I thought Stern ships games as quickly after they're boxed as possible. If Foo has been on the line for more than a week, EHOH has been OFF the line for more than a week, no?

#5663 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

hopefully they will ditch that awful yellow T-molding on IM Premium. It’s one of the first things I’ll be changing when mine arrives.

Yellow trim is the only reason I bought a premium.
    It’s says: “you’re damn right this is a premium!”

#5664 1 year ago
    Quoted from OGpinball:

Agreed - Bond seems to be everywhere and anywhere you want to buy one.

They will likely cut the run short, most places got a ton of these and it seems like every dealer has some still in stock. I think everyone expected it to do better, initial orders were quite high, our local place got a TON of them in. And then now dealers are kind of stuck with stock now as word of "meh" code is out there. They should consider pushing back the run if possible to help move stock, or if anything they are gonna shorten the planned April run.

#5665 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

They will likely cut the run short, most places got a ton of these and it seems like every dealer has some still in stock. I think everyone expected it to do better, initial orders were quite high, our local place got a TON of them in. And then now dealers are kind of stuck with stock now as word of "meh" code is out there. They should consider pushing back the run if possible to help move stock, or if anything they are gonna shorten the planned April run.

I wish Stern would stop shooting themselves in the foot by releasing games with early unfished code. It kills sales of the game. Same happened with Stranger Things. Then once they get it good they stop making the game. Such a weird business model.

#5666 1 year ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I wish Stern would stop shooting themselves in the foot by releasing games with early unfished code. It kills sales of the game. Same happened with Stranger Things. Then once they get it good they stop making the game. Such a weird business model.

Yes, I'd like to know what the thinking/reason is behind this. If the games have a reputation of "the code sucks," then they are obviously not going to sell as many.

#5667 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grantman:Yes, I'd like to know what the thinking/reason is behind this. If the games have a reputation of "the code sucks," then they are obviously not going to sell as many.

It takes longer to write software than develop the hardware, especailly with all the video assets. Also, you don't exactly know what you want the software to do until you've finished the hardware. Having games out in the wild does help inform how the software should be tuned (but doesn't really excuse lack of modes)

Let's say it takes 1 year to have the SW in a good place after the pin HW is finished. if you're doing 2 games a year, and it took 18 months to develop the HW, you're trying to keep 5 games underwraps simultaneously but that's not working that well, so the community knows about most of the games that are out there, and they're not buying game A because they know they may want game C instead.
    Maybe one of your employees left and went to the competitor, and they know about your killer new feature that you've already developed but aren't releasing for 2 years, so they could realistically beat you to it.
    Maybe your licensing agreement starts when you sign it, and it's not practical to wait 2.5 years before you actually start shipping pins.

I'm sure people can come up with a lot of other reasons you might not want to just sit until your SW is done. I think you guys just don't understand how long SW development can take to get to the 'final' iteration.

#5668 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

It takes longer to write software than develop the hardware, especailly with all the video assets. Also, you don't exactly know what you want the software to do until you've finished the hardware. Having games out in the wild does help inform how the software should be tuned (but doesn't really excuse lack of modes)
    Let's say it takes 1 year to have the SW in a good place after the pin HW is finished. if you're doing 2 games a year, and it took 18 months to develop the HW, you're trying to keep 5 games underwraps simultaneously but that's not working that well, so the community knows about most of the games that are out there, and they're not buying game A because they know they may want game C instead.
    Maybe one of your employees left and went to the competitor, and they know about your killer new feature that you've already developed but aren't releasing for 2 years, so they could realistically beat you to it.
    Maybe your licensing agreement starts when you sign it, and it's not practical to wait 2.5 years before you actually start shipping pins.
    I'm sure people can come up with a lot of other reasons you might not want to just sit until your SW is done. I think you guys just don't understand how long SW development can take to get to the 'final' iteration.

Bond Prem owner here. Right now... the Action Button doesn't do anything and MOST of the modes on the instruction card don't actually exist in the game. You'd think they could atleast program the modes listed on the instruction card which was printed before any of the games shipped.

#5669 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Oh, fork!
    For real?
    Not good.
    I'm waiting for my shipping alert from my distro but it's not coming and I'm starting to worry. I know this last run was interrupted and as a result went from one week to three. I also know that some distros are still waiting for their machines. I'm trying to nail down when I can assume that I missed out. Don't you think distros will have all the games their going to get by, say, April 1st? I thought Stern ships games as quickly after they're boxed as possible. If Foo has been on the line for more than a week, EHOH has been OFF the line for more than a week, no?

I got the arrival notification from my distributor and it’s heading my way today. A friend of mine who was chatting with his distributor about my order said that Stern is half way through the production run. The other half should be done next week.

#5670 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Bond Prem owner here. Right now... the Action Button doesn't do anything and MOST of the modes on the instruction card don't actually exist in the game. You'd think they could atleast program the modes listed on the instruction card which was printed before any of the games shipped.

Thats just ridiculous.

#5671 1 year ago

I was in the second round of most recent EHOH runs. Got shipping notice yesterday and game should arrive tomorrow! Distro in GA.

#5672 1 year ago

That stinks, I’m sorry. A lot of people don’t know that one of the main coders for bond passed away at the beginning of release. It’s why you are seeing Dean Grover appreciation posts on other games. I don’t think anything has gone to plan for bond, but that at least gives you some insight on why it’s been a struggle.

#5673 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

I was in the second round of most recent EHOH runs. Got shipping notice yesterday and game should arrive tomorrow! Distro in GA.

Kicking myself as I got my deposit back last year.

#5674 1 year ago

Has anyone heard any updates or changes to the latest schedule? I’m in on a JP Prem and IM Pro. The excitement has me feelin all giddy.

#5675 1 year ago

Ghostbusters didn't achieve this for 3 years.

#5676 1 year ago
    Quoted from Herm:

I got the arrival notification from my distributor and it’s heading my way today. A friend of mine who was chatting with his distributor about my order said that Stern is half way through the production run. The other half should be done next week.

Thanks for the lowdown!

#5677 1 year ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Kicking myself as I got my deposit back last year.

I think you played it right. Lots of inventory out there now so prices for loaded games are looking more attractive.

#5678 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I see this in a lot of distros. This titles are not sellling? Or is it that actually nothing is selling?

Games always sell. Have for 30 years, despite people claiming the market is “slowing” the market certainly has favorites, some products move faster than others. That is the same with literally everything or every product ever made. Godzilla sells out instantly, TMNT sells in a couple months, they still sell. Not every product will be a door buster.

The games listed in my previous post are all long gone, keep in mind Stern is still making games and refilling our stock. So right now almost every dealer will have James Bond and Foofighters in stock, doesn’t mean they are not selling. Just some thoughts to consider.

I do think we are back to normal times, summers are slower than holidays and tax return time.

#5679 1 year ago

You'd think they could atleast program the modes listed on the instruction card which was printed before any of the games shipped.

The reason they didn't for Bond seems to be media rights, to the various movies/actors/characters involved. It's still an organizational failure that that didn't get sorted out for good before the release, but at least there is a reason other than just laziness or backlog.

(Side note - playing Rush is such a breath of fresh air compared to so many of the other licenses, since Rush was done with full source media and participation from the stars, rather than cheaping out for cartoon/comic or in-house graphical assets, or canned movie quotes or soundalike audio.)

#5680 1 year ago

oops, double post

#5681 1 year ago

Foo Pro's and a random Star Wars cab on the line today.

#5682 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Yeah I saw that too. which version was that star wars?

#5683 1 year ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Thank you, Gubbin for sharing the info you received. I believe Bond 60 is off the line as FF Pros are starting to be shipped out. So let's move the schedule along. I heard some other rumors, but none confirmed so don't want to share that. Also, on the latest George Gomez podcast interview on Free Play Pinball Podcast, Gomez kinda alluded to Stern doing a vault this year. Looks like there's a spot right after Deadpool in July. But putting all these old games first and with the demand of FF, I'm wondering if Stern is ready for another price increase in the summer with a vault or in September? Most likely at least by new year again.
    Mar 2023 - Foo Fighters Pro (mainly for ops)
    Mar 2023 - Foo Fighters LE
    Apr 2023 - Foo Fighters Premium
    Apr 2023 - Bond Pro & Premium
    May 2023 - JP Premium
    May 2023 - Iron Maiden Pro & Premium
    Jun 2023 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    Jun 2023 - AIQ Pro & Premium
    July 2023 - Deadpool Pro & Premium
    July 2023 - FF Pro (home buyers)
    Aug 2023 - FF Premium
    Aug 2023 - Star Wars Pro & Premium
    Sep 2023 - Cornerstone - Rumored to be Venom
    Oct 2023 - JP Pro
    Nov 2023 - Godzilla Premium
    Nov 2023 - Mandalorian Pro & Premium
    Dec 2023 - Bond Pro

Bumping the list.

So Foo pro this week. They're behind schedule.
    Foo LE the next two weeks?

#5684 1 year ago

In another thread, it was stated Friday video is actually a week old. Maybe someone can chime in and confirm or debunk.

#5685 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Hold up! Why is there a Star Wars LE on the line in 2023?! 6 years after they were made?! It's almost as if Stern has access to a time machine of sorts...a DeLorean possibly?

FB_IMG_1673412598201 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1673412598201 (resized).jpg
    #5686 1 year ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

Hold up! Why is there a Star Wars LE on the line in 2023?! 6 years after they were made?! It's almost as if Stern has access to a time machine of sorts...a DeLorean possibly?[quoted image]

Replacement cab..... there's only one right?

#5687 1 year ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

Waiting since Oct 21 here. GZ arrives tomorrow. There seems to be so much demand the GZ that it’s just really tough to find. I did find one about 6 months ago I could have swapped too, but I decided not to burn the bridge with a distro I’ve enjoyed working with for years.

I placed my order for GZ Premium on 7/22/22. Was hoping for February/March, but that did not happen. I didn't really expect it to....just hoping. June will be here soon, and hopefully that will be my lucky month. I knew it would be a long wait, and my dealer told me that right up front. Sounds like I am getting closer.

#5688 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damagio:

I placed my order for GZ Premium on 7/22/22. Was hoping for February/March, but that did not happen. I didn't really expect it to....just hoping. June will be here soon, and hopefully that will be my lucky month. I knew it would be a long wait, and my dealer told me that right up front. Sounds like I am getting closer.

Ouch that is rough. I don’t recall what I was told, but it was a longer than expected wait for me.

#5689 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damagio:

Who is your distributor?

#5690 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damagio:

I placed my order for GZ Premium on 7/22/22.

Same exact time as me! I am thinking June or November run from Flip N Out.

#5691 1 year ago
    Quoted from TonyP66:

Same exact time as me! I am thinking June or November run from Flip N Out.

I am really hoping for June! I've had a hole in the line up for too long! LOL

#5692 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damagio:

I am really hoping for June! I've had a hole in the line up for too long! LOL

I am waiting on a CCR LE as well so I guess I am used to it haha

#5693 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damagio:

I placed my order for GZ Premium on 7/22/22. Was hoping for February/March, but that did not happen. I didn't really expect it to....just hoping. June will be here soon, and hopefully that will be my lucky month. I knew it would be a long wait, and my dealer told me that right up front. Sounds like I am getting closer

Wow. I decided I wanted a Zilla Prem in Feb of this year. Placed an order and got it two weeks later. I find it slightly annoying that some distros take deposits outside their allotment numbers. Not cool in my opinion.

#5694 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Wow. I decided I wanted a Zilla Prem in Feb of this year. Placed an order and got it two weeks later. I find it slightly annoying that some distros take deposits outside their allotment numbers. Not cool in my opinion.

True to that

#5695 1 year ago

March 19th I decided to check out the marketplace here on Pinside on a whim and a Stern Dealer had a NIB GZ Pre for MRSP listed. I called and bought it. They said they had 2 they just got from Stern. I’d keep checking the marketplace here, they seem to pop up the last few weeks.

#5696 1 year ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

March 19th I decided to check out the marketplace here on Pinside on a whim and a Stern Dealer had a NIB GZ Pre for MRSP listed. I called and bought it. They said they had 2 they just got from Stern. I’d keep checking the marketplace here, they seem to pop up the last few weeks.

Stick it on your wishlist and pinside will email you when one comes up.

#5697 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Same here but I paid a bit over MSRP to get it done

#5698 1 year ago

My (former) distributor made me buy an "overstocked" JP pro in order to get the Zilla Premium they had listed in stock, (would only "bundle" them together) then gave me the shaft when the playfield was shit, and also lied about shipping options/cost.

Worst customer service I've ever received.
    No wonder they had games in stock...

Quoted from AMartin56:

Same here but I paid a bit over MSRP to get it done

#5699 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

My (former) distributor made me buy an "overstocked" JP pro in order to get the Zilla Premium they had listed in stock, (would only "bundle" them together) then gave me the shaft when the playfield was shit, and also lied about shipping options/cost.

Name & shame...they do this because we let them get away with it.

#5700 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Only you can prevent others from making the same mistake.
    Which state are they working from?

There are 8,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-on-the-line-at-stern-pinball-delays/page/114?hl=xdetroit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.