Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Amenvox
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

alien-0116_cigar.gif
    -ufos.gif
    cyclops09.gif
    movie.gif
    thingheads.gif
    clown_scare.gif
    its_alive.gif
    There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Don't know where you get your info but Family Guy sold terrible. I remember Steve Ritchie posted a few years ago on RGP something like: they ordered parts for 1200 games, built 700, had a hard time selling these and decided to re-theme to Shrek to use the remaining parts...

Do you have a link? I thought Stern's official reasoning was they were saving money on programmers and layout design people.

#102 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Oh well
    X-men turned out to be a good player though the PRO may play better.

For what reason would the pro ever play *better*? There are 3 features:
    - Night crawlers - don't negatively impact game play. Are neat
    - Moving ramp - if you dont like it, disable it then you got same play as pro
    - Spinning disk with magnet vs no disk and just magnet - again if you don't like this, just disable the spinning disk or unplug it and it plays the same.

In no way does the pro have an opportunity to play *better*.

#103 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

For what reason would the pro ever play *better*? There are 3 features:
    - Night crawlers - don't negatively impact game play. Are neat
    - Moving ramp - if you dont like it, disable it then you got same play as pro
    - Spinning disk with magnet vs no disk and just magnet - again if you don't like this, just disable the spinning disk or unplug it and it plays the same.

Well that's a good observation. Will the ramp on the PRO jiggle every time a ball moves down it?

Will the ball not have to cross a night crawler holes or spinning disc lips?

The pro may end up being more smooth

#104 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It wont break as much haha lol. No need for e clip or aux driver board woes pffffft.

#105 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Well that's a good observation. Will the ramp on the PRO jiggle every time a ball moves down it?

After playing both side by side one after the other. And this is just my honest opinion so please no one get offended I am not stating this as fact just an opinion. The Pro was (for me) smoother with Wolverine placed in the proper position in no way blocking the beast shot (on both Pros I have played so far). The Magneto magnet had much more affect on the ball on the Pro throwing it much faster around the field without the spinner slowing the balls momentum and while I did not see NC it seems like this would be an element that will stop the flow of shots. The moving ramp was a very forgettable feature for me. I actually preferred the art package on the pro as well. So I was stoked when I realized I preferred the pin that cost a lot less then the other it was like hitting the jackpot for me. I loved both and again my opinion is not aimed to anger anyone, pinheads are not all going to agree on these type of things.

Quoted from smokedog:

One question. Currently on the LE, when you hit one of the green 'lock' stand ups near Mags, the disc spins, adding some uncertainty to where the ball is going to go (makes hitting the targets risky). Does the Pro instead engage the magnet as the ball is coming back down the play field, or does nothing happen?

Sorry I saw this late Smokedog. Yes when you hit the lock the magnet flickers to throwing the ball around.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Reply to smokedog.

#106 11 years ago

Would love to play X-Men....just waiting for someone in Jersey to get one....

cyclops09.gifcyclops09.gif

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

After playing both side by side one after the other. And this is just my honest opinion so please no one get offended I am not stating this as fact just an opinion. The Pro was (for me) smoother with Wolverine placed in the proper position in no way blocking the beast shot (on both Pros I have played so far). The Magneto magnet had much more affect on the ball on the Pro throwing it much faster around the field without the spinner moving and while I did not see NC it seems like this would be an element that will stop the flow of shots. The moving ramp was a very forgettable feature for me. I actually preferred the art package on the pro as well. So I was stoked when I realized I preferred the pin that cost a lot less then the other it was like hitting the jackpot for me. I loved both and again my opinion is not aimed to anger anyone, pinheads are not all going to agree on these type of things.

I have not played a pro yet but I did play a LE and I had the same thoughts as you did.
    Thank you for confirming what it seem like playing the LE. I really like the Pro art work but I am an avenger fan so...

#108 11 years ago
    Quoted from SDZZExtraBall:

It has to be the New Rambo 2014 ?
    see the rambovideogame coming out soon...................

In that case I'm sure we're due for Raven II.

#109 11 years ago

Is the spinning disc slow and doesn't have much grip? Surprised to hear the magnet on its own is more effective than magnet + disc.

#110 11 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Is the spinning disc slow and doesn't have much grip? Surprised to hear the magnet on its own is more effective than magnet + disc.

No it is not slow (although it could be quicker) but it is rarely spinning in the exact direction the magnet would be flinging the ball so the magnet throws it and the disk seemed to slow the momentum down a decent amount. And it is not set up like in tron where the ball would be slowed down (after hitting disc shot) and then fall slowly back to disc to be whipped back to the playfield. Usually on X-Men the ball is moving at a decent clip when it reaches the disc (except for mutli-ball of course). The magnet when left to it's own just whips that ball in a single direction really quickly without any obstructions or hesitation.

Didn't want to derail the thread anymore then I have Baiter so I posted my reply up here:

Quoted from Baiter:

Wolverine can be adjusted to match the pro position on the LE. I thought I had also read that the magnets were toned down in the v1.2 code? Maybe it was just enabling the Wolverine magnet less, but the disk's purpose is to affect direction, having a hard time understanding how it would slow the ball down a significant amount...

It is a definite plus not to have to alter/cut into a toy on a brand new machine to get it to play as it was designed to. As far as the spinner affecting the ball from the magnet it is physics. Without any obstacle the magnet will quickly redirect and instantly throw the ball in a certain direction. If a magnet is trying to fling the ball and the disc spinning it will inevitably have an impact on the ball impeding the throw somewhat as well as redirecting it a bit. If you played them side by side I think you would see clearly what I am talking about. It is noticeable and I don't think it has anything to do with the magnets power being different. It may not be a bad thing some may prefer it that way.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Reply to Baiter

#111 11 years ago

Thanks for the explanation so it sounds like one is far better without the other, disc is neat when the magnet doesn't get involved and the magnet is good when the disc isn't trying to squeeze in on the action at the same time. Hopefully going to get to play an LE and Pro soon enough, I'm told stern are well behind on there shipping schedule to us ever patient folk in the UK.

#112 11 years ago

Thanks for the hones review. I would tend to think all in all the Pro may play better based on the play on my LE

Hell the Tron Pro plays a hair better though I'd rather own the LE.

Back to what's next?

Better yet is Lonnie doing the code? As that's a deal breaker for me

#113 11 years ago

The Pro was (for me) smoother with Wolverine placed in the proper position in no way blocking the beast shot (on both Pros I have played so far). The Magneto magnet had much more affect on the ball on the Pro throwing it much faster around the field without the spinner slowing the balls momentum

Wolverine can be adjusted to match the pro position on the LE. I thought I had also read that the magnets were toned down in the v1.2 code? Maybe it was just enabling the Wolverine magnet less, but the disk's purpose is to affect direction, having a hard time understanding how it would slow the ball down a significant amount...

#114 11 years ago

Who is doing software for the next Gomez? Can someone confirm?

#115 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Will there be a cat-eating mode?

BLT multi

Bacon, Lucky, and tomato sandwich

#116 11 years ago

I have no interest in KISS, but I know a few people who would so I am pulling for them. Just as long as they don't "waste" a Steve Ritchie design on KISS...

I am assuming Avengers is next and I sure hope SR gets another whack at Star Trek after that!!

1 week later
    #117 11 years ago

I hear rumors of this game being a similar layout to MB. What are peoples thoughts on the layout? will this be another fan layout, who is doing the software, will it have a 3rd flipper? After all the hate on TF from the pin community will this make stern and gomez push that much harder to make a truly incredible game?

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from mummite:

I hear rumors of this game being a similar layout to MB.

That rumor is based SOLELY on the fact that it will be a Gomez design.

And yes, that is a perfectly valid basis on which to make that assumption.

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Who is doing software for the next Gomez? Can someone confirm?

Ropp. Factions have been assembled and the players have their pawns.

#120 11 years ago

Seinfeld pin? Master of my domain wizard mode??

#121 11 years ago

Boy I sure hope it's Kiss

#122 11 years ago

If you played them side by side I think you would see clearly what I am talking about.

One question. Currently on the LE, when you hit one of the green 'lock' stand ups near Mags, the disc spins, adding some uncertainty to where the ball is going to go (makes hitting the targets risky). Does the Pro instead engage the magnet as the ball is coming back down the play field, or does nothing happen?

#123 11 years ago

Avengers....Hopefully a Hulk LE will be developed? To go next to Wolverine LE!

#124 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

The ramp is stable and the night crawlers don't impact the ball movement at all. These were quite a stretch

#125 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Ummm.... Pac-12 anyone?

Going off topic, but USC has a chance to dominate this year...

#126 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Ropp. Factions have been assembled and the players have their pawns.

Shit! Avengers with Ropp programming well that's gonna be a snorfest, wizard mode hit every shot twice?

#127 11 years ago

So is Stern going for a color LCD/DMD and new chipset?

#128 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I think a Rob Zombie themed Zombie Pin would be a cool way to go. I'm still holding out hope for Muppets, Nightmare Before X-mas, Goonies, Matrix, and Futurama, but hey, a guy can dream, can't he!

I'm an SEC transplant, grew up Roll Tide, went to UF. College Football is worthless out here... lol.

That's a kick-ass idea! Unfortunately, calling that highly unlikely is probably an understatement

Rob

#129 11 years ago

How about a NCAA Football pin? Pick a position, then school, and take your team to the BCS title game and maybe winning the Heisman.

Would look great next to a copy of NCAA 13.

#130 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

How about a NCAA Football pin? Pick a position, then school, and take your team to the BCS title game and maybe winning the Heisman.

Would look great next to a copy of NCAA 13.

Would need to have a very punitive tilt penalty - you get caught tilting, it goes back and vacates your previous high score.

#131 11 years ago
    Quoted from Naf:

Avengers....Hopefully a Hulk LE will be developed? To go next to Wolverine LE!

Oh my glob, if they did a Hulk LE, my little son would probably jump right through the roof he'd be so ecstatic. He LOVES the Hulk, which is part of why we didn't consider getting X-Men. The boy and I just like the Avengers character set more.

So... I hope it is Avengers, and I hope it is announced soon!

#132 11 years ago

Damn I want a Tony Hawk game so friggin bad

Enough music & superheroes already

But it takes sales & money for Stern to live

#133 11 years ago

I'd have to get the Hulk or Captain America LE

#134 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Damn I want a Tony Hawk game so friggin bad

Enough music & superheroes already

But it takes sales & money for Stern to live

So do I. Imagine SR + Radical! + punk rock + Tony Hawk = complete awesomeness

#135 11 years ago

I would still like to see a "Offshore Sportsfishing" theme pinball! Fish on mb. Get the gaff skill shot. A chum bucket mb. Palagic fish only! Deep drop lower playfield and a trolling upper playfield with art of the tuna/marlin tower. Big blue marling being caught with Sportfisher in background with a nice looking lady catching it in distance for backglass...Bumpers are 3 types of sharks (Mako, Bull, Tiger shark)

Please not a FT!!!!!

#136 11 years ago

The more I think about it, I'd prefer night of the living dead to resident evil. "brains! More brains!!!!"

#137 11 years ago

I am with Naf. A fishing pinball would be fantastic.

I am from europe and all those superman like nonsense... dont know why that is so popular in the states.

Musicpins i am not a fan off too. But strangely i think ac/dc is one of the best pins ever, and i am not even a ac/dc fan.

But ok, a fishy one would be great. Add Jaws mode please.

#138 11 years ago

Brains!....Return of the Living Dead...

#139 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Brains!....Return of the Living Dead...

Love that movie. I think a zombie movie themed pin needs to be campy. Humor + Zombies = Awesome.

#140 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Love that movie. I think a zombie movie themed pin needs to be campy. Humor + Zombies = Awesome.

Could not agree more. The more I think about it the more I think resident evil will be too serious. Resident evil would be good for the LCD game though as it has a huge library of movies now for clips. Huge.

#141 11 years ago

Just give me a sci fi pin with monsters, aliens, girls, spaceships and ray guns that will kick the crap out of AFM....and I'll be happy!

-ufos.gif-ufos.gif

#142 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Just give me a sci fi pin with monsters, aliens, girls, spaceships and ray guns that will kick the crap out of AFM....and I'll be happy!

Agreed. An original adult sci fi theme loaded with humor for the win! Just don't let Gomez do it. Give us Borg on that theme.

#143 11 years ago

I'm IN!

alien-0116_cigar.gifalien-0116_cigar.gif

#144 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. An original adult sci fi theme loaded with humor for the win! Just don't let Gomez do it. Give us Borg on that theme.

New systems with LCD screens will make original themes even less likely. Licensed themes come with characters, sounds, music and most importantly art and/or video. It is a win/win for Stern because money spent on the license is more than made up for in money and time developing the software and art package for the pin.

Back in the day of EMs or Alpha Numeric pins, original themes made a lot more sense. A static art package is infinitely easier to develop than high res video and graphics. I'd much rather have the development and BOM money spent on the playfield and toys.

#145 11 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

New systems with LCD screens will make original themes even less likely. Licensed themes come with characters, sounds, music and most importantly art and/or video. It is a win/win for Stern because money spent on the license is more than made up for in money and time developing the software and art package for the pin.
    Back in the day of EMs or Alpha Numeric pins, original themes made a lot more sense. A static art package is infinitely easier to develop than high res video and graphics. I'd much rather have the development and BOM money spent on the playfield and toys.

I totally agree. This is why I am really hoping for another original theme before the end of the dmd era, which is coming to a close.

#146 11 years ago

I'd love a small tease from stern soon I'm starting to get burnt out with the wildfire level of talk on xmen and I have a pro on order. Would love to know what is next as if it's nothing I'm interested in I might get an xmen le, buy a new cabinet and some pro decals and make my perfect le.

#147 11 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I'd love a small tease from stern soon I'm starting to get burnt out with the wildfire level of talk on xmen and I have a pro on order. Would love to know what is next as if it's nothing I'm interested in I might get an xmen le, buy a new cabinet and some pro decals and make my perfect le.

I think this is why Stern gives such little notice of their releases. They don't want to discourage people from buying what's out now due to the buzz of an upcoming release.

#149 11 years ago

I'll go with Lloyd on this, The Avengers with the subtle comic twist would be awesome, who the hell didn't love watching the Hulk toss around Loki like a rag doll!

1 week later
    #150 11 years ago

For me... Blade Runner Stern Pinball Machine!!!!

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-next-for-stern-after-xmen/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.