• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tommy_Prototype_#2.jpg
Tommy_Prototype.jpg
#1 11 years ago

With a super mint MM selling for $20,000, AFM's selling for $8100, a really nice RS selling for $5000 , Monster Bash's going for $8000

What is a Prototype Tommy Worth!

#2 11 years ago

Shit I would say in the 15 K range

Skooter

#3 11 years ago

Based on other prototype games, realistically, $1,800.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Based on other prototype games, realistically, $1,800.

HUH? there are only 9 in existance did you mean 18,000K

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from skooter710:

HUH? there are only 9 in existance did you mean 18,000K

Generally, prototype games (although there might be a few exceptions), do not command more than the actual game. You can get a great condition Tommy for $1800.

#8 11 years ago

Actually prototypes command a lot more money than the production games.

AFM Proto just sold for 9500
A Diner Proto in Chicago just sold for $4500
MM Proto sold for $20,000
I sold a Fishtales Proto for $4500 5 years ago when FT were selling for $1800

Every Proto I have sold has sold have commanded a premium over reg production

#9 11 years ago

Another great example is Lazer Lord.

Only one made AND the last game that Stern ever made before going out of business = $7k

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Actually prototypes command a lot more money than the production games.
Every Proto I have sold has sold have commanded a premium over reg production

Like I said, there are some exceptions on some games, but prototype Comet went for $400 and Hyperball for $700.

Put the Tommy up for auction and see what it goes for....not $15,000 I would think.

#11 11 years ago

Now if the prototype Tommy had music by The WHO and had the studio album graphics by Mike McInnerney, I'd pay $15k for that!!!!!!!

#12 11 years ago

The 10 you paid for it. lol Scott your funny. There is only 9 of them and your right but only 9 people who want them.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Trying to tread lightly here, but those are all.....really well liked games
MM can sell for any level at any time.
Diner sold in Chicago, which has the worst pin prices in the world.
AFM is selling basically that high anyway.

The person that bought your FT got ripped off.

#14 11 years ago

i wouldn't pay any more than for a regular production run machine.

#15 11 years ago

There is actually a lot of people who just collect prototype machines and don't buy the reg production games.

#16 11 years ago

Cool, put it up for auction!

#17 11 years ago

You thinking of selling it mike? Contact http://www.thechurchofthesilverball.com/ he might want another one. This is who i worked with when i was doing research on the chimes and shakers before you got yours.

[email protected]

#18 11 years ago

What was different with the fish tales you sold ? I know they had a illuminated shooter button, anything else different?
Tommy proto would certainly command a premium for sure.

#19 11 years ago

No not selling it. Just think pin prices are crazy right now. kinda fun to watch and see!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

There is actually a lot of people who just collect prototype machines and don't buy the reg production games.

Well you seem to deal with proto-hunters a lot more than us...so I guess you should be telling us how much it's worth.

#21 11 years ago

Tommy is unique because the prototype is so unbelievably different than the production game. Different art, different playfield, different ramps, and even some different music. Plus, it's got the chimes. The only way to know for sure what it is worth is to put it up on eBay and find out. My guess is that it would go for 10K+ easily. Despite the fact that the economy is in the toilet, there are obviously still a lot of collectors out there with deep pockets and a major hard-on for the rare stuff.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Tommy is unique because the prototype is so unbelievably different than the production game. Different art, different playfield, different ramps, and even some different music. Plus, it's got the chimes. The only way to know for sure what it is worth is to put it up on eBay and find out. My guess is that it would go for 10K+ easily. Despite the fact that the economy is in the toilet, there are obviously still a lot of collectors out there with deep pockets and a major hard-on for the rare stuff.

Proto Tommy are not the only Tommy with chimes. There is about 20 regular Tommy out there with them as well.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Tommy is unique because the prototype is so unbelievably different than the production game. Different art, different playfield, different ramps, and even some different music.

So is this version worth playing?

#24 11 years ago

Ben

how do you know there is 20 machines out there with chimes. It would be cool to buy a Tommy and come to find out you have chimes in your game. It would then have to have the prototype software to drive the chimes

#25 11 years ago

I sold 20 kits before calling it quits. They where way more in depth then the ones scott got in his aka my old machine. Driven from targets and pops alike.

I could go back threw my paypal records from 07/08 and get the names of the twenty that got them from me.

I still have the shaker plans here.

#26 11 years ago

I thought they came from the factory that way.

#27 11 years ago

You would have to ask Lyman but i seem to also recall a batch of 3-5 test games that also had chimes in them.

Shaker was in the Japanese machines for the 3 motor rule but never functional at all.

#28 11 years ago

Here is a youtube video of a Tommy prototype

#29 11 years ago

Thats mike machine.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Here is a youtube video of a Tommy prototype ...

Yep, that's GAP's game.

#31 11 years ago

3000 for the game + 3000 dollars for the dealer markup? haha...sorry couldn't resist hahaha

#32 11 years ago

I don't see the airplane on that one. I also can't tell the difference at that camera angle from the regular game.

#33 11 years ago

That was cool with the shield that hid the flippers! Never saw that before!

#34 11 years ago

Lovin' my Tommy!

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

skooter710 said:HUH? there are only 9 in existance did you mean 18,000K
Generally, prototype games (although there might be a few exceptions), do not command more than the actual game. You can get a great condition Tommy for $1800.

Whoever has a great condition tommy for $1800.00. Please hit and up. It's on the short list

#36 11 years ago

I don't see the airplane on that one. I also can't tell the difference at that camera angle from the regular game.

It's hard to tell from the video, but the playfield is completely different. For starters, there are two sets of pop bumpers. The ramps are also really cool. When you shoot the right ramp, there is a diverter that can return the ball to either flipper. These photos show what I'm talking about ...

Tommy_Prototype.jpgTommy_Prototype.jpg Tommy_Prototype_#2.jpgTommy_Prototype_#2.jpg

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That was cool with the shield that hid the flippers! Never saw that before!

The blinders are the coolest feature on Tommy, and one of the most clever toys in all of pinball.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Here is a youtube video of a Tommy prototype

Great vid thanks for sharing!!!!

#39 11 years ago

Mwong168....

That is not a proto Tommy! Proto has (6) pop bumpers...(2) groups of (3). Also has other features...like the multi ball silvers drop from out of the plane!

#40 11 years ago

Chris S

$1,800? Good luck. Not being cocky...really mean good luck with that. Let us know how it goes

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Mwong168....
That is not a proto Tommy! Proto has (6) pop bumpers...(2) groups of (3). Also has other features...like the multi ball silvers drop from out of the plane!

The video I posted looks to be the same as the pics shown above and has two sets of pop bumpers.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Mwong168....

Hell it aint i know who sold it to him. some people i tell yah. I dedicated a year of my pinball life to the Tommy proto I feel safe to say i can tell you as much about it as the designers and the whole bally story and every thing. Look me up on pinball news in the learn section lol. Thats a proto tommy. I even have a proto trans in my den.

All you need to do if your a noob is look at the art as its no where even close to being in the same planet as the production game.

Sorry if that comes off rude but throwing around bold statements like that is just ignorant.

#43 11 years ago

Trust me, that's definitely a prototype in the video. It's Mike's game, and I've played it myself.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Chris S
$1,800? Good luck. Not being cocky...really mean good luck with that. Let us know how it goes

That's what I'm saying. Haven't seen one that low in a couple of years. I got my brother into the hobby back in like 2001-2002. I thought he was crazy to pay $1200.00 for his at the time and maybe he was. Now he won't sell it to me for less than $2700.00. I think he is just trying to wind me up since he really doesn't wasn't to sell.

I know there is something lost in translation when using sarcasm.

#45 11 years ago

I had like 7 of them originally sold the last one a few years ago.... 7500... Actually I thinkI had 8 Herb got 1

#46 11 years ago

Mike how did this story go again you traded DE Alvin G's NOS Balls for them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-my-tommy-prototype-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.