(Topic ID: 215650)

What is John Popadiuk's Greatest game and the one CGC should do first?

By FarFromHeaven26

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which John Popadiuk pinball machine should CGC do first? CV, TOTAN or TOM?”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180429-180708 (resized).png
C9CA6F40-A308-4304-A3BB-CDD7879974B9 (resized).jpeg
67277529-3280-4E3D-8D47-F589727F6A3B (resized).png
85AA220C-36A9-4E89-BA54-F2DC68E28E5B (resized).jpeg
bag o dicks (resized).jpg
3 dots (resized).png
Cirqus-Voltaire-Pinball-Machine (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

I've owned every popadiuk game except ToM and none of 'em are worth reproducing.

WCS is fun, if basic, but they made plenty of 'em
ToM is OK, if exploitable, and they made plenty of 'em.
ToTAN is a beginner level game and gets real boring real fast - no legs at all.
CV is a 3 shot game (left orbit, RM, ramp), and a PITA to keep running on location.
SWep1 was an appropriately bad game for a pretty bad movie.

CGC is gonna do what CGC is gonna do, but IMHO any of these is a waste of time and resources.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Just curious did you beat the wizard mode on Totan?

Beat it every time I got to it, which was pretty often. No-brainer mode, just plunge balls and hit switches. Actually, you can make it a challenge if you deliberately try to not win, and instead stretch it out for more points.... but not really worth the time. Correction, the entire game isn't worth the time

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

Hmmm. And yet CV, TOTAN and TOM are hugely popular as can be ascertained from talking to legions of pinball fans and looking right now at the Pinside Top 100 where each sits in enviable rankings. We could virtually take down every single machine with this kind of analysis. I know several veteran pinball techs who count them as masterpieces and loads of sustained fun, but I asked for your vote and commentary and you gave it. Thank you.

Pinside top 100 is voted on by collectors, not players. Here's a question for you: how often do you see ANY Popadiuk game used in competition? WCS94 is pretty popular, but that's it - the rest are turds and suck for competitive play.

Every last machine "gets old." Every one. Without exception. MM gets old. MB gets old. TZ gets old. IJ gets old. AFM gets old. There is not a single machine that escapes that sighing final judgement. But we must decide which we want most in our midst with a glowing a sublime sense of permanency.

I've owned my AFM and TZ since 1999. I've bought and sold Popadiuk's entire resume during that period. Yea, all games get old after a while, but some have *very* short shelf lives.

#46 5 years ago

Collectors and players are in a sense interchangeable. Impassioned players in large measure collect and collectors are mostly players albeit in domestic surroundings. I stand by the pinsiders who have proven themselves knowledgeable and articulate.

The collectors who buy JPOP games are not interchangeable with "impassioned players." The latter favor exciting games with good rulesets, which is exactly the opposite of what JPOP produced. There is a market for JPOP games among newer players and those who favor art more than anything else, but I don't think that market is big enough for a repro. OTOH it seems that "pinside-top-100" folks like you tend to have deep pockets, so perhaps you'll get your CVR after all.

#50 5 years ago

Notice Metallik, I did NOT nor WILL NOT downgrade your answer as you did mine (above) as I am seeing this as a civil discussion. Not sure how or why Jersey Pinball was brought in as my post was solely to access the viability of titles being posed or considered by Chicago Gaming as part of their re-make schedule

I didn't "downgrade" your post, I simply disagreed completely with your opinion. I also never mentioned Jersey (Jack) Pinball. Please pay attention if you want to carry on a civil discussion.

Quoted from bjsilverballs:

I've played ToM and CV in competition as well and it's way different than just grinding away at it in your home. Once I cleared the wizard mode in ToM I ditched it due to the massive letdown but it was always fun to play. I ditched WCS94 because we had it in league. I still have CV & TotAN and neither one is leaving. Haven't made the wizard mode in either one yet either.

Not sure how you haven't made wiz mode in TOTAN yet, but if it challenges you, that's all that matters. The modes are extremely low scoring, so wishing away two at once with a ruby+bazaar a couple times makes for a quick trip to the end.

#126 5 years ago

I have long felt GILLIGAN'S ISLAND was grossly underrated and thought I'd try and boost it so it would place in the Top 300.

And this is exactly why the pinside top 100 ratings are complete bullshit. The only people who actually care about them are so busy manipulating them with ridiculous scores, the end result is a cesspool of misinformation. The rest of us watch with mild amusement as folks like you continually tout the numbers as actually meaning something

Really? Is that why TOM, TOTAN and CV are all entrenched in the pinside Top 25, with glowing assessments and eternal love?

Yep, enshrined by cheaters like you who game the system with crazy ratings. But hey, it's fitting that his games would be promoted by shysters...

#129 5 years ago

Fix your post so it doesn't look like I'm stating your rant, please. And I'm just calling it as I see it - you admitted to gaming the very system you keep promoting. Sorry if the truth hurts. Enjoy your JPOP remakes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 11.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-john-papadiuk-greatest-game-and-the-one-cgc-should-really-be-r?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.