(Topic ID: 215650)

What is John Popadiuk's Greatest game and the one CGC should do first?

By FarFromHeaven26

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which John Popadiuk pinball machine should CGC do first? CV, TOTAN or TOM?”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180429-180708 (resized).png
C9CA6F40-A308-4304-A3BB-CDD7879974B9 (resized).jpeg
67277529-3280-4E3D-8D47-F589727F6A3B (resized).png
85AA220C-36A9-4E89-BA54-F2DC68E28E5B (resized).jpeg
bag o dicks (resized).jpg
3 dots (resized).png
Cirqus-Voltaire-Pinball-Machine (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FarFromHeaven26.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Preliminary indicators based on a previous press release by Chicago Gaming point to an imminent re-make of Bally's THEATER OF MAGIC. Though nothing has really been confirmed, the statement posed the term "likely." Which of Popadiuk's three big pinball masterpieces from the 90's do YOU think CGC should tackle FIRST? I believe it should be the aesthetically gorgeous and addictive CIRQUS VOLTAIRE, with the nearly equally sublime and wonderfully-themed TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS a close second. For my taste TOM is a distant third, perhaps even behind Popadiuk's underrated World Cup Soccer machine. I'm curious to see how the Popadiuk votes goes here if you'd be so kind to indulge. Thank you. (I do LIKE TOM, if not on the level of the others.)

Cirqus-Voltaire-Pinball-Machine (resized).jpgCirqus-Voltaire-Pinball-Machine (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I vote none. There are better Williams/Bally games to remake like CC, MB, TAF, TZ, IJ.
I'd rather see BBB than anything from JPOP. His games are pretty but the rules are shallow and not fun.

Thank you so much for responding "luvthatapex2." We certainly have MB and CC coming and probably in that order so I am with you there passionately. I am also hog wild about BBB which could well be third. However, obviously we are not in agreement on the Popadiuk games, which I count as pinball masterpieces, and I am hoping TAF, TZ and IJ are done AFTER them. But fair enough, and I thank you.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Post a poll.

Mop, though I am a long time pinball enthusiast at age 63 (with five pinball loving children), I am fairly new to pinside membership and am not sure how to post a formal poll. I thought I'd just add up the votes cast in this comment section, short of that.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I've owned every popadiuk game except ToM and none of 'em are worth reproducing.
WCS is fun, if basic, but they made plenty of 'em
ToM is OK, if exploitable, and they made plenty of 'em.
ToTAN is a beginner level game and gets real boring real fast - no legs at all.
CV is a 3 shot game (left orbit, RM, ramp), and a PITA to keep running on location.
SWep1 was an appropriately bad game for a pretty bad movie.
CGC is gonna do what CGC is gonna do, but IMHO any of these is a waste of time and resources.

Hmmm. And yet CV, TOTAN and TOM are hugely popular as can be ascertained from talking to legions of pinball fans and looking right now at the Pinside Top 100 where each sits in enviable rankings. We could virtually take down every single machine with this kind of analysis. I know several veteran pinball techs who count them as masterpieces and loads of sustained fun, but I asked for your vote and commentary and you gave it. Thank you.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Polls are stupid. The discussion is where the meat is.

This is true. The only good one in the bunch is WCS and no point in reproing a lower value game. And even that gets old.
JOn's the most overrated pinball designer in history. Most of his games are gimmick-laden and look cool, but play poorly, or at the very least get old quickly due to repetition of dull tasks and poorly balanced scoring.
Never in history has a designer got so much mileage out of such a weak track record. He parlayed 1 decent game a bunch of average-playing eye candy into the greatest scam in pinball history and beyond.

And again I ask then WHY oh WHY does the pinball community at large and this very Top 100 dispute this opinion? I do NOT find John Popadiuk overrated at all and believe the re-makes will sell big, but I do understand some resentment connected to other matters. I wish myself to give this man his due, and his work speaks for itself. Thank you so much for the commentary.

#14 5 years ago

"This is true. The only good one in the bunch is WCS and no point in reproing a lower value game. And even that gets old."

Every last machine "gets old." Every one. Without exception. MM gets old. MB gets old. TZ gets old. IJ gets old. AFM gets old. There is not a single machine that escapes that sighing final judgement. But we must decide which we want most in our midst with a glowing a sublime sense of permanency.

#23 5 years ago

I'm appreciating the comments, votes and frank discussion, though it is presenting the "other side of the coin" from the actual ratings en masse of CV, TOTAN and TOM which present a far, far more glowing picture of each. I find nothing simple or tiring with the rule sets, at least in direct comparison with the most vaunted machines. What I do see here at PINSIDE are TOTAN, CV and TOM sitting quite pretty numerically with corresponding ratings that elaborate euphorically.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody really takes those ratings seriously. They are novelty and a Search Optimization Tool for pinside.
Obviously, plenty of people like the JPop games. They are GREAT for newbies and for drawing people in with their novelty appeal. I'm not sure if that's enough to get them remade. Seems like there would be many safer bets for the remake guys.

Levi, certainly no more seriously than any comment YOU or I or anyone else make on this thread and others. hahaha. If you look at the ratings and the ensuing comments you will find many gave it their observational, analytical and passionate all in assessing their positions. So yes, in a fair sense I can afford each each pinsider their due.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

To sell really well as a remake, the originals have to be in the $8000-$10000+ range on the used market. Theatre of Magic is usually in the $6s for a nice one. TOTAN BARELY makes it in the high 7s and low 8s. Cirqus doesn't make it, stuck in the mid 6s and low 7s. I just can't see CGC giving priority to ANY of these for a long time.

Vireland, I see CV as consistently the most expensive of the three at Mr. Pinball, E bay and other outlets. We are talking semantics with 6K, 7K and 8K (or higher), as basically all THREE MACHINES are well within the CGC re-make wheelhouse if they decide to move forward. CONDITION dictates just how high each machine will go.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The "wheelhouse" is historically $8k-$10k for CGC historically. Depending on machine, they are either not in the wheelhouse at all, or just barely in it, holding on by their fingernails.

Exactly, and my contention remains that a collector's condition CV, TOTAN and TOM are right now in the 8K range at least. Hence according to CGC's mission each of the three qualifies for a re-make at the present time, what with their projected commitment to at least six more.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

None. They are all average or below average pins.

Hahahahaha this is hysterical!!!!

Pinside #14 Tales of the Arabian Nights
Pinside #16 Theatre of Magic
Pinside #23 Cirqus Voltaire

With hundreds/thousands of passionate pinsiders offering their informed views, well I'll choose to just laugh!! Average or below average?! Tell that to the pinsiders.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Pinside top 100 is voted on by collectors, not players. Here's a question for you: how often do you see ANY Popadiuk game used in competition? WCS94 is pretty popular, but that's it - the rest are turds and suck for competitive play.

Collectors and players are in a sense interchangeable. Impassioned players in large measure collect and collectors are mostly players albeit in domestic surroundings. I stand by the pinsiders who have proven themselves knowledgeable and articulate.

My post was published to talk about future CGC releases not to access the nature and intricacy of pinball competition.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Pinside top 100 is voted on by collectors, not players. Here's a question for you: how often do you see ANY Popadiuk game used in competition? WCS94 is pretty popular, but that's it - the rest are turds and suck for competitive play.

I've owned my AFM and TZ since 1999. I've bought and sold Popadiuk's entire resume during that period. Yea, all games get old after a while, but some have *very* short shelf lives.

Yeah to each is own in that regard. That is why I never discuss shelf life on these threads as they are so subjective and worthless.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

If I was 63 I would grab what is available now and enjoy it. I don't think I would want to be in my 70's waiting for a remake of CV or TOTAN.

Touche Kiwipinhead, now THAT is admittedly sage advice!!!!!

We do own four though now: TAF, Elvis, MM and Gilligan's Island.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I was expecting to find 43 responses of 'Magic Girl'.

LOL, I knew Magic Girl would be broached on this thread when i posted it.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The collectors who buy JPOP games are not interchangeable with "impassioned players." The latter favor exciting games with good rulesets, which is exactly the opposite of what JPOP produced. There is a market for JPOP games among newer players and those who favor art more than anything else, but I don't think that market is big enough for a repro. OTOH it seems that "pinside-top-100" folks like you tend to have deep pockets, so perhaps you'll get your CVR after all.

Notice Metallik, I did NOT nor WILL NOT downgrade your answer as you did mine (above) as I am seeing this as a civil discussion. Not sure how or why Jersey Pinball was brought in as my post was solely to access the viability of titles being posed or considered by Chicago Gaming as part of their re-make schedule. CGC is of course aiming at the collector's market, which in turn is fueled by on-location pinning dating back decades. I've played DIALED IN, TWOZ and THE HOBBIT many many times and appreciate their challenges and aesthetics and furthermore fully ascertain their appeal in competition, but I am looking at a full picture here, i.e. what do some of us want to own in our home collections based on a consideration of a number of factors, all of which can be accessed in pinsider game ratings.

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I didn't "downgrade" your post, I simply disagreed completely with your opinion. I also never mentioned Jersey (Jack) Pinball. Please pay attention if you want to carry on a civil discussion.

Not sure how you haven't made wiz mode in TOTAN yet, but if it challenges you, that's all that matters. The modes are extremely low scoring, so wishing away two at once with a ruby+bazaar a couple times makes for a quick trip to the end.

I disagreed with your post, but I refuse to advertise it, feeling I can ably elaborate in the discussion. OK, you did not mention Jersey Jack, I accidentally erred by misreading JPOP. My apologies on that.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Nice collection
I guess my point was we don't know if CV or TOTAN will be remade, CGC or PPS have hinted TOM is on the list,
Anyway..... my pick is TOM

Thank you so much! Yes you are quite right methinks. TOM is a very popular choice, and when CGC makes it I'll be there with the green.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I can not wait to buy a remake ToM. This has always been one of my favorite games since it came out and a lot on location are beat, don't work exactly right, or have the trunk disabled (the one at Free Gold Watch last week fit into the last). ToM is a great game but if the example is not good, it plays poorly.
Regardless of the ratings and thoughts of pinsiders, Jpop games have much more visual interest than most games out there. CGC will easily remake these games because they will sell. If you know nothing about pinball, you will buy based upon the looks and the feeling it evolves. If they do any modest updates similar to AFMr, pinsiders will buy to get the upgrade.

DBLM, I have to say I agree with everything you say here. So far aside from the JPOP bashing/indifference that has surfaced in fair measure, TOM is leading the vote in my query. I will continue to monitor it and will release results when the thread has run its course.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think JPOP is HIGHLY overrated. The more that comes out from the past the less he actually designed himself. Left on his own he gets less than nothing accomplished. ALL of his success was due to many others helping him get from A to Z.
I won't buy another "JPOP" game but I did enjoy WCS while I had it.

That's fine, I am less concerned with who the dominant inspiration was behind these games than I am with the prospects of these pinball masterpieces being re-made.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I've owned every popadiuk game except ToM and none of 'em are worth reproducing.
WCS is fun, if basic, but they made plenty of 'em
ToM is OK, if exploitable, and they made plenty of 'em.
ToTAN is a beginner level game and gets real boring real fast - no legs at all.
CV is a 3 shot game (left orbit, RM, ramp), and a PITA to keep running on location.
SWep1 was an appropriately bad game for a pretty bad movie.
CGC is gonna do what CGC is gonna do, but IMHO any of these is a waste of time and resources.

I do agree with ONE of your contentions here for sure, the one that asserts that CV is a pain in the ass to keep running on location. I have seen this in numerous places including Asbury Park Pinball Museum, Sunshine Laudromat etc., but I am thinking/hoping a prospective CGC re-make will successfully address this previous propensity. It seems clear now based on press releases from Rick that TOM will definitely be re-made now, with the others being considered.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I like WCS and it doesn't go for stupid money like CV, TOM, and TOTAN. TOM is probably my favorite of the others but they are all fun games. Just not my favorite so I wouldn't call them masterpieces. Curious to see how well they will sell if any get remade. I would expect a hefty price tag and not sure how many really want those games that bad.

Jawjaw, thank you for the reasonable response here. The "hefty" price tag you are anticipating will be like the previous CGC re-makes.

We are talking 7K with perhaps an additional $500 or so for the expected LE version, so a bit less methinks than MM, AFM and the expected MB in LE incarnation. It has already been announced that your favored THEATRE OF MAGIC will be re-made at this point. Unless the powers-that-be have a change of heart, expect to see it:

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-likely-remakes-revealed-clues-ask-steve-ritchie-twipy-host-announced/

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

They shouldn't make a JPOP game, at least for a while. From a business point of view they need to focus on the top 10 and also the rarest and most sought after machines.
If CGC actually ends up making 5-10 or more of these remakes I think TOTAN or TOM would be first. They made a ton of WCS and it can be found for 2k pretty easily. TOTAN and TOM could be dolled up with improvements that might even lure in current owners.

From a business standpoint, they feel it is a smart move actually.

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-likely-remakes-revealed-clues-ask-steve-ritchie-twipy-host-announced/

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

MMr was/is not 7k. I don't know the exact numbers but it was much higher than that plus you had to throw in hundreds extra for color display. AFMr is cheaper because playfield is fairly empty. I wouldn't expect any other remakes to be that cheap.

My friend I just bought MMR not more than six weeks ago for 8K from a CT dealer. I agree with you that AFMR is a bit cheaper for the reason you say, but let's face it none of us can expect to see ANY future CGC remake for less than 7K. I am hoping it stays at that price point.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Agree. WCS is his best game in my opinion, but doesn't warrant a remake for the obvious stated reasons. The rest of his games are pretty to look at--but at some point you have to press the start button, and then it all falls apart.
However, with NIB games sitting in private collections for years with less than 200 plays on them and the recent morbid interest in JPop's Magic Girl light box, maybe "looking games" ARE more popular than games that actually play well.

Not an opinion I remotely agree with and not one pinside voters concur with by a longshot, but I asked for opinions here and you gave yours which is fair enough. When one presses the start button on CV, TOTAN or TOM one is transported with heavenly bliss to a rapturous pinball dimension, a place where ownership beckons in a big way

Translation: For.my time and money CV, TOTAN and TOM play as magnificently as they look and sound.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I think the jury is still out on what he's done as far as his actual level of contributions to the games he gets credit for designing . As far as I can tell his only real skill is picking out other people's eye catching artwork and slapping it on a game.

Aye Honch. I knew when I published this post there would be vitriol hurled at JPOP, whose stellar creativity speaks for itself and whose games at Pinside are enjoying a sustained and lofty run in the Solid State Top 25. While a good number here have been passionate there are some dismissive, confusing fact with opinion. As THEATRE OF MAGIC has already been named by Rick for the re-make schedule and CV and TOTAN real possibilities pinball will triumph over cynicism in the end.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Ha. This thread is great. With all the j poop hate, I either missed or didn't realize the deuche nozzle actually made some well liked games.
Who'da thunk?

Aye Tommy P. I knew when I published this post there would be vitriol hurled at JPOP, whose stellar creativity speaks for itself and whose games at Pinside are enjoying a sustained and lofty run in the Solid State Top 25. While a good number here have been passionate there are some dismissive, confusing fact with opinion. As THEATRE OF MAGIC has already been named by Rick for the re-make schedule and CV and TOTAN real possibilities pinball will triumph over cynicism in the end.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You keep calling TOM, TOTAN and CV "Masterpieces". I don't think that word means what you think it means
I'm being snarky with you but honestly there are MUCH better games out there. Not one of those games falls in the top 10...however they do fall into the top 25...which I personally think is still too high. They'd make my top 100 for sure but probably the lower half. TOM might make the top 50 but dang it's easy.

Well my friend, snarkiness can go both ways. You inquire about the generally accepted definition of "masterpiece." Ah, let's see....Dreyer's "La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc", Murnau's "Sunrise" and Ozu's "Tokyo Story" are cinematic masterpieces. Shakespeare's "Hamlet," Miller's "Death of a Salesman" and Sophocles' "Oedipus Rex" are masterpieces of the stage; Mozart's "Clarinet Concerto in A major", Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 (Pathetique) and Ravel's "Bolero" are classical music masterworks; Melville's "Moby Dick", Dickens' "Great Expectations" and Tolstoy's "War and Peace" are masterpiece novels and Da Vinci's "Mona Lisa", van Gogh's "The Starry Night" and Munch's "The Scream" are painting masterpieces. In the far more innocuous world of pinball, I judge masterpieces of the form on the art, sounds, game play, durability, general theme and design and passionate engagement of the machines I feel qualify for the ultimate annointment. Pinsiders have spoken with their ratings, and apparently CGC is listening.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

You’re bringing the green for a game you yourself rated a 4??? You keep touting pinside ratings as holy, when you give Gilligan’s Island a perfect 10... Pinside is no place for a Jpop fanboy. If I had to place a bet I’d say you’re the man himself, trying to stroke his own ego. Or possibly a Russian troll farm.

So I'm a "JPOP Fanboy" by your reckoning, yet I rated THEATRE OF MAGIC with a 4ish rating?! And then you up the ante even further by suggesting I may be JPOP himself in apparent masochist mode. Yes I am JPOP coming on here to downgrade one of my machines. Did you ever think that my ratings, while trying to be close to the way I feel were also tempered with strategic aims? I have long felt GILLIGAN'S ISLAND was grossly underrated and thought I'd try and boost it so it would place in the Top 300. I stated at the outset of this thread that THEATRE OF MAGIC was my least favorite of JPOP's games in an effort to get some affection for CV and TOTAN now that TOM is headed for a re-make. But yes, I would indeed still purchase TOM, because I feel CGC's superb work will make virtually all their new releases irresistible if financially feasible for the buyer...........but anyway, here ya go. My name is Sam Juliano. I am 63 years old, I reside at 7 Spruce Street, Fairview, NJ, 07022. Literature and creative writing teacher for 35 years in my hometown in a school where my wife serves as Principal. We have five kids, all pinball fans (22, 21, 19, 17, 16.) I don't know JPOP from Adam, but have long thought him one creative talent, regardless of some indiscretions connected to his aborted projects.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO I had no idea people were so OCD for polls around here.
It’s like it doesn’t count if there’s no poll!
On topic - ok I give up. J pop sucks but I’ll play - TOTAN would make the most sense as a remake. It’s the highest price and only mildly stupid.

Hahahaha Levil! true what you say!! But be rest assured I am counting and when this thread peters out i will release the results. It should be clear though at this point that TOM is leading, which supports CGC's recent press release, committing to the title.

#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

See... that's not how that's supposed to work. That's "gaming" the system. You'd think as a career teacher you would have a better grasp of ethics.

Nah I didn't find what I did such a glaring ethical breach at all, just a desire to win some recognition for an underrated machine. As to "that's not the way it works" it works the way each person would like it to work. The top rating in any case reflected my true feelings anyway.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

JPOP games are pretty, but not that fun for me personally. I wouldn’t be buying any of them. If you are drawn to his art style, then I can see the attraction.
My casual observations are that JPOP fans tend to be more aesthetic collectors than players and tinkerers. The “JPOP makes artful masterpieces” group usually doesn’t care for WCS94. Conversely, WCS seems to be the only JPOP game most regular players and tinkerers are drawn to.
Considering that this is an enthusiast forum and JPOP recently took a lot of money from collectors and gave them nothing, he’s not the most popular name in Pinball right now.
My pic below is a quick search of IPDB using the JPOP name.

Nevus, this is a fair and reasonable post down the line. I do well understand that JPOP was involved in this lamentable episode, and I feel this is somewhat unjustly affecting his past work with some. (Others here have still defended his artistry in this divided thread). Though I stand solidly with the pinsiders who have celebrated the excellent game play in his most beloved machines, I fully acknowledge that aesthetic beauty is a large part of the appeal. I do feel that this aspect of pinball collecting remains paramount to my own tastes, as it does with so many others.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's nice you can make up your own version of reality and create a nice little cognitive dissonance.

Pretty much as YOU have done here in forging your own rules, which you feel others must follow. And getting pretty personal as well in these undeserved attacks you've heaved my way on this thread, all because I have the temerity to love some games by JPOP, games pinsiders have rated mightily.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Attacks? I must have missed something.
You know if you go to a persons post and hit the little black head and shoulder in the upper right it will only show that persons posts in that thread? If you think Astro personally attacked in this thread you won't make it long here unless you get a box of chill pills.
Back to the subject. I have only ever played CV so my opinion doesn't matter but as has been said the past dealings from jpop matter more than the games to many here.

Ah a cheerleader employing gang up. Thanks but no thanks. Maybe YOU need to take the chill pill. I posted to spread positive energy for beloved games.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Popadiuk did a great game?? Maybe Williams should have released it instead of his crap games they put out with his name on it.
(Disclaimer: Popadiuk's games suck)

Really? Is that why TOM, TOTAN and CV are all entrenched in the pinside Top 25, with glowing assessments and eternal love? But by all means spew forth with the hate. We want some comedy on this thread too in addition to the astute votes and observations being posted.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Owned all three at the same time, not sure which I would bring back. They share a lot of general similarities. In my mind I pick one and can list - good theme, interactive toys, solid rules, great lighting, sound, art, easy to get to wizard mode. Then I pick another and get the same characteristics. Repeat for the third. So think I would be 33 1/3% hoping for each one. However, I would prefer a CV based on it being more difficult to produce though - what with oddball backbox and DMD on playfield. I appreciate the technology.
No doubt JPOP veered off course, crashed and was never CONvicted, but as a designer, will be remembered as the King of Magnets.

Jeff, methinks this is truly a banner response!!!! Awesome! The King of Magnets is most apt absolutely!!

#115 5 years ago

Between all the ranting against JPOP and the genuine veneration for his sublime pinball creations, I have here the current standings for the CGC re-make prospects on Sunday morning, April 29th. By a narrow margin, CGC's intentions have been validated at this point:

1. Theatre of Magic 6
2. Cirqus Voltaire 5
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights 4
4. World Cup Soccer 3

Hopefully there will be more votes cast moving forward. Thanks so much to all!

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Don't think you can tie the results from this thread to CGC's stated intentions to produce TOM. Poll results reflect which JPOP game people think CGC should make next. That is not the same as asking people to list their:
Favorite to play
Favorite to own
Favorite to buy
Favorite to buy not already owned
Favorite to drop money
Favorite you can never find to play
Also it is not the same as asking CGC:
Which has potential to sell max # units
Which has potential to sell acceptable # units
Which has no legal issues remaining to produce
Which has no issues remaining to manufacture
Which costs the most to remaining
But it does reflect which JPOP game some people want CGC to make next.

Jeff, I asked in the title of my query which machine did respondents think CGC should do next, and basically intertwined it with a general and relevant opinion as to what what machine each person likes best. All of the questions you present are connected to what each person will say no doubt. My vote also went to CV, but I would at this stage buy any and all of the three. Though our model here is quite small I think it is somewhat telling that so far CGC's stated commitment to re-make TOM has been modestly validated in this query, but I dare say we do have a way to go if this thread has legs. Also, I have a sneaky suspicion all your framings are being pondered by CGC before and when they move forward with the re-make. Unless there is a drastic misgiving I think Rick has already firmed up with CGC plans to make TOM again, so this thread is just a furthering of the discussion and an innocuous vote in food for thought mode.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

And this is exactly why the pinside top 100 ratings are complete bullshit. The only people who actually care about them are so busy manipulating them with ridiculous scores, the end result is a cesspool of misinformation. The rest of us watch with mild amusement as folks like you continually tout the numbers as actually meaning something

Yep, enshrined by cheaters like you who game the system with crazy ratings. But hey, it's fitting that his games would be promoted by shysters...</blockquote

God all you keep doing is coming back to fight. Give us all a fucking break. I rated what 5 games out of the hundreds available to me and the end result didn't affect the results one hundredth of a point. So disenguous of you to equate that to widespread fraud by thousands of pinside who not only voted but gave detailed and informed reasons for their vote. Yeah, I'll cite consensus over and over and over than bow down to your arrogance and negative energy. I asked for a vote here. Your gave your opinion. Has been duly noted.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Can we stop talking about this guy? Didn’t he jump the shark before 2000? We have three awesome new designers let’s talk about them! Oh and they haven’t folded a business with questionable moral decisions.... next!

Look this is a post about three beloved pinball machines. I asked for a VOTE.I did NOT ask for a character investigation on a person, who coincidentally is also a creative genius. Nobody is forcing you to vote. ....Next.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Fix your post so it doesn't look like I'm stating your rant, please. And I'm just calling it as I see it - you admitted to gaming the very system you keep promoting. Sorry if the truth hurts. Enjoy your JPOP remakes.

Not able to fix prior post right now as I have cell phone and am covering Tribeca Film Festival. I am not gaming any system, as I rated a scant six machines total. Just bought a mint Gilligan''s Island weeks back and was so thrilled and excited with it that I decided to do something I had never done previously, and that is to rate a machine!!!! Pinside needed five more to count my GI What you fail to include in your repeated mentioning of this is that my "boost"coincided with my true feelings on the game........The only truth I see is that all machines are beloved.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can everyone stop poking this troll please.

Hahahahahaha!!! Right. I post a poll thread, express unbridled passion while combating arrogance and venom and for that I am now labeled a "troll." OK. Look in the mirror.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I literally spit out my drink on that one.

Creative geniuses are often quite flawed.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Fix your post so it doesn't look like I'm stating your rant, please. And I'm just calling it as I see it - you admitted to gaming the very system you keep promoting. Sorry if the truth hurts. Enjoy your JPOP remakes.

Thank you. If I live a long life, I'll indeed enjoy playing, looking at and listening to them.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Jpop is not a creative genius. There are literally thousands upon thousands of JPops out there.
As for the games, CV and TOTAN aren't great games. Two of my least liked.

Oh God no, there are millions, billions, trillions of JPOPS out there. In fact there is a JPOP living in just about every town in the world. For decades I considered TOTAN and CV supreme pinball masterpieces but now that you have degreed otherwise I bow down to you oh master.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Giving every game a 10 isn't rating them. Giligans island is ok but nowhere near a 10. Do you understand how a rating system works.

Mitch, this thread is about choosing which JPOP title pinball aficianados would prefer CGC to make first, not the level of real or padded love a New Jerseyite has for a newly acquired Gilligan's Island machine has for said buyer during the honeymoon phase. You must excuse me for availing myself of the pinside rating system during such a biased period of initiation when literally all the specific ratings points were made during a time of infatuation. Perhaps my penchant to spread good will and positive energy does not make me the ideal grader in this sense, that is largely why I have rated so very few machines. It would exceedingly more productive to explore the reasons why thousands of other pinsiders have praised TOTAN, TOM and CV through the rafters to the tune of Top 25 for each rather than sniffing a far reaching conspiracy that at least one other on this thread seems to think was launched or defined by moi........anyway, yes I do well understand indeed how the ratings work, I just in the future if I rate again need to reign in my desire to celebrate.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

IMHO It's not people trying to "game the system" as far as the rate system goes. It's a system that doesn't work. There should be rules for a rateing system that works. The rules will keep everyone in line and honest about their rateings

I am not quite sure how to respond to you here W166, as I am under the impression pinside has revised their rules fairly recently. I understand though that you are making a general statement and a most fair one at that.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Your were bound to get some hate mail posting anything appreciating JPOP here. Lots of haters on here for good reasons. I have owned all three. The one I miss the most is CV. I like certain games for very different reasons than most. One of the things that really attracts me to a game is that very special something it can do. For CV it this: When the ringmaster picks up the ball, I will shake the machine so that his mug wobbles around. If you do this right before he releases the ball, the ball will launch across the play field in any direction. Sometimes it will land on the lock ramp and cause a "sneaky lock". That is the bomb! I will play that game just to make him do that! I will re-aquire a CV at some point, although it will most likely be an original.

Aye my friend, precisely. A number of people are unable to separate John Popadiuk from his work. Yes they have very good reason to be furious, but this should not taint these great machines........all so well stated.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So which is it? These are not compatible explanations.
Your ethics are dubious at best.

Both actually. That''s why both were stated. As to dubious ethics, based on my desire to celebrate pinball machines....God you seriously need to get a life, and stop trolling me on this thread like a broken record.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I'll qualify my previous statement, even though I'm sure it's been covered before. Jpop games seem to be wrapped up in mechanical novelties--a pejoritive term would be "gimmicks". This manifests itself in his obsession with designs and playfield features from the bygone EM era, where a game could be built around one good gimmick (gameplay be damned). Watching these gimmicks unfold before your eyes the first time is pretty darn cool. This is probably where your terms "heavenly bliss" and "rapturous” come into play (it sounds like you need a cigarette and some towels after playing a Jpop game using that kind of language!). But, I, and judging by some of the comments left here so far, need a bit more than just cool spinning saws and a few diverting magnets to justify their purchase, because while gimmicks could carry a game in an arcade, it may not in a home environment. The ultimate, sad conclusion to all of this Jpop "gimmick" arguement is Magic Girl, which upholds the same formula: as a box of lights it looks great, but as a game it doesn’t play (QUITE LITERALLY).
I’m not a good player. At all. I stink. I’ve never owned a CV or a TOTAN. But playing my friends’ games, I could reach the wizard mode and see the “end” of both CV and TOTAN more than 50% of the time that I stepped up to them. This is how I formed my conclusion that Jpop games are all flash and little substance to sink your teeth into. I’ve got a World Cup Soccer, and it seems the most polished and challenging of the bunch, but still near the middle of the pack as far as WPC games go. If you were tweaking rules and releasing them with the remake of the game, I think there'd be a more viable market for TOTAN or CV.
Hopefully the informal survey pans out you. I would also like to see the link to the FB post about TOM being the next game on the remake radar.

Spiro, there was never any statement from any source that intimated that Theatre of Magic was the "next" re-make. The press release, easily accessed online mentions TOM after MB, CC and BBB but the point is that it IS one of the ONLY four that have been mentioned, meaning we probably won't see until 2021 unless the frequency of release is speeded up. Speculation has also focused on TOTAN and CV, but unlike TOM it is just educated guessing unlike TOM which was named.......I like your post a lot, even if I love JPOP''s work much more because your arguments are intelligent, knowledgeable, humble and polite, devoid of name calling and anger employed on this thread when a respondent is unable to separate JPOP from his work.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

jjhlh - Did anyone respond? I have the same question as you.
farfromheaven26 - Where did you read the CGC press release about hinting at remaking TOM? Thanks in advance.

AFM95, I am on my cell phone at home but will be sure to post the link to you as soon as I get on the school PC in the morning.

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Trolling trolls is secondary hobby.

Yet I am the one who created this post and politely asked for votes. You came barging in full of anger spewing opinions as if they were facts. Nah, YOU are the troll trying unsucessfully to crash a pinball celebration party. Rather than making endless appearances here I have a better solution. Copy a photo on line of JPOP and attach it to that dart board hanging in your basement. Maybe that will allow you a better outlet for your anger management issues.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

World Cup Soccer gets my vote, not the prettiest but the most fun to play! Poll not working for me, zero options coming up?

Mark, I did something wrong in posting the poll formally, but be rest assured my friend your vote for WCS has been officially counted. Thank you.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

jjhlh - Did anyone respond? I have the same question as you.
farfromheaven26 - Where did you read the CGC press release about hinting at remaking TOM? Thanks in advance.

AFM95, here is the promised link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-more-speculation-planetary-pinball-to-remake-mb-bbb-tom-and-cc

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I'd vote for CV. I love the game. The odd playfield layout, the Ringmaster toy that can throw the ball all over the place, act like a bash toy, then become a subway shot makes for a cool toy. The two different physical ball locks and the two different wizard modes of Join the Circus push the game over the top IMO, and makes the game one of my favorites. I also love the crazy green cab art and the neon tube which makes it stand out in a line up.
TOM would be second, then TOTAN, then WCS bringing up the rear. WCS is still great though, even though I'm ranking it last. JPOP was great at concepting stuff and getting so far in design. Obviously, as we know, it was paramount to pair the guy with a competent mechanical engineer, coder, and design team to push all of these games across the finish line when he worked with Williams.

Awesome, absolutely fantastic comment here in every sense Rum-Z. I so agree with your wonderfully framed and passionate position on CV and the other games! Thank you so much!

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I find it hilarious that someone voted a gilligan's island a 10. You are basically saying that GI is a better game then DI or TWD.

I find it hilarious that you would waste my time and your own time visiting a thread created to discuss favorite prospects of a well-known designer for possible CGC re-make to instead divert to attempt mockery for my ratings of a newly acquired machine that my family and I have been enjoying greatly. But heaven forbid you would dare say anything nice in view of my previous explanations, but since I have NOT rated DI or TWD and in fact have only rated six (6) machines in total, how can you assert that I found GI "better" than those two? Since I issued 10s to several others, it seems likely I'd have spread the wealth. When I return home later from a family dinner I will be removing my six ratings from pinside so trolls on this thread will no.longer be able to focus on an issue that is wholly insignificant and irrevelevent to the query I have posed.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep i think cv with home rom is the best overall of the bunch especially set up difficult. Im picking up a blinged out huo cv this week actually....

Wow that"'s so fantastic bigd!! Best wishes with your beautiful new CV acquisition!!

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I understand all the hate for the guy and the big mess with Zidware stuff but... why so many people were ready to buy/discuss/ follow the Zidware pinball stuff? It has been nb 1 subject on this website for months and months. Ok the guy is not a genious but I'm not sure that with all this we could seriously discuss his past work in a regular way.
Game designers are not genious, they mostly working with a good team and everyone is helping. Jpop was a newby at first: Wcs94 and then lead for great design and fun pins. If he was that bad: no one will never have cared with his past work after Williams. I don't spend my life here but it's still a hobby so if we don't like the pin or the guy, don't waste your time with this topic and play / disuss other pins instead

That is fair enough and very well stated and reasoned. Would you happen to have a favored choice among JPOP''s machines to be re-made by CGC?

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I do already own CV and totan among others . I really like original game because i like owning/restoring original pins. In Europe, most of those pins have seen bars for years and are often not in great shape. So to answer your question: as a remake i would buy the TOM i think. I have room issue and my house can no longer have a new pin anyway.

Thanks so much Noitbe1!!!

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I find it hilarious that someone voted a gilligan's island a 10. You are basically saying that GI is a better game then DI or TWD.

My six game ratings have officially been cancelled and will be reflected in next Monday''s new cumulative standings.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

You should rate games however you want if that’s what you truly believe.

Thank you so much for that JJHLK!! Much appreciated. You are right methinks, and standing my ground was an appealing option. I only buckled in fear that the main focus of this thread would be compromised. I do intend to return to the ratings and also expand in volume. Thanks again.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead6446:

I am finding it very difficult to choose between these three great games for Chicago Gaming re-visitation. Count me as someone who recognizes John Popadiuk's recent fiasco, but also appreciates he is one of the best pinball designers in the history of the game. CV, TOTAN and ToM are among the very best games ever made, and truth be said all three should be re-made by CGC. Since you are asking for an order here is my suggestion:
1. Cirqus Voltaire
2. Theatre of Magic
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights
I also love WCS, but don't consider it in a league with the above three, all of which are with the most beautiful tables visually. Sorry you had to endure such mean-spirited posts, FarFromHeaven26. I understand why, but great work is great work, no matter how a person could be tainted for other reasons. A little Richard Wagner or Woody Allen anybody?

Pinhead, you are a man after my own sensibilities. Your uplifting post is music to my ears, and your vote and engagement here deeply appreciated!

#182 5 years ago

VOTING RESULT ANNOUNCEMENT!

It seems this thread has ebbed, though it is also conceivable further action may come to pass.

At present here is where we stand:

1. Cirqus Voltaire 10
2. Theatre of Magic 8
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights 6
4. World Cup Soccer 4

Thanks so much to all who have engaged and cast ballots!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FarFromHeaven26.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-john-papadiuk-greatest-game-and-the-one-cgc-should-really-be-r?tu=FarFromHeaven26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.