(Topic ID: 215650)

What is John Popadiuk's Greatest game and the one CGC should do first?

By FarFromHeaven26

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by FarFromHeaven26
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which John Popadiuk pinball machine should CGC do first? CV, TOTAN or TOM?”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20180429-180708 (resized).png
C9CA6F40-A308-4304-A3BB-CDD7879974B9 (resized).jpeg
67277529-3280-4E3D-8D47-F589727F6A3B (resized).png
85AA220C-36A9-4E89-BA54-F2DC68E28E5B (resized).jpeg
bag o dicks (resized).jpg
3 dots (resized).png
Cirqus-Voltaire-Pinball-Machine (resized).jpg

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago

my Vote would be Totan version 2.0. Throw in some new code to make it deeper along with the enhancements they did for afm.

#152 1 year ago

JPop isn't even creative - most if not all his ideas are stolen from EMs. Other people do his art and rules. At best he does some AutoCAD.

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Agree. WCS is his best game in my opinion, but doesn't warrant a remake for the obvious stated reasons. The rest of his games are pretty to look at--but at some point you have to press the start button, and then it all falls apart.

Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

Not an opinion I remotely agree with and not one pinside voters concur with by a longshot, but I asked for opinions here and you gave yours which is fair enough. When one presses the start button on CV, TOTAN or TOM one is transported with heavenly bliss to a rapturous pinball dimension, a place where ownership beckons in a big way

Translation: For.my time and money CV, TOTAN and TOM play as magnificently as they look and sound.

I'll qualify my previous statement, even though I'm sure it's been covered before. Jpop games seem to be wrapped up in mechanical novelties--a pejoritive term would be "gimmicks". This manifests itself in his obsession with designs and playfield features from the bygone EM era, where a game could be built around one good gimmick (gameplay be damned). Watching these gimmicks unfold before your eyes the first time is pretty darn cool. This is probably where your terms "heavenly bliss" and "rapturous” come into play (it sounds like you need a cigarette and some towels after playing a Jpop game using that kind of language!). But, I, and judging by some of the comments left here so far, need a bit more than just cool spinning saws and a few diverting magnets to justify their purchase, because while gimmicks could carry a game in an arcade, it may not in a home environment. The ultimate, sad conclusion to all of this Jpop "gimmick" arguement is Magic Girl, which upholds the same formula: as a box of lights it looks great, but as a game it doesn’t play (QUITE LITERALLY).

I’m not a good player. At all. I stink. I’ve never owned a CV or a TOTAN. But playing my friends’ games, I could reach the wizard mode and see the “end” of both CV and TOTAN more than 50% of the time that I stepped up to them. This is how I formed my conclusion that Jpop games are all flash and little substance to sink your teeth into. I’ve got a World Cup Soccer, and it seems the most polished and challenging of the bunch, but still near the middle of the pack as far as WPC games go. If you were tweaking rules and releasing them with the remake of the game, I think there'd be a more viable market for TOTAN or CV.

Hopefully the informal survey pans out you. I would also like to see the link to the FB post about TOM being the next game on the remake radar.

#154 1 year ago

Jpop may be a swindler, but I love his titles. They can become easy, but the easiness can be rectified. If you own a Pinball machine, you can adjust the outlanes, angle and rules via adjustment menus, ya know? And for software issues, adjust your play. For example, in TOTAN, I just avoid collecting jewels via wishes. This makes the game quite difficult. It’s like avoiding “lock freeze” every time you get the claw on demolition man... His games are beautiful and offer cool toys and gameplay.

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

No, nobody responded but I’m almost certain that CGC hasn’t made any press release regarding future titles. They are very tight-lipped and won’t announce anything until it’s ready. I think the OP was referring to the posts Rick from PPS has made which indicated TOM is on the list of potential remakes along with MB, CC, and BBB.
Remake #3 is one of the best kept secrets in Pinball. Hopefully we will find out the title soon. I do know from talking with Doug at TPF that they plan to raise the bar as far as enhancements are concerned to a similar level that occurred from MMr to AFMr. He said the delay in announcing was so that they could add more features to the game.

Thanks for replying. I've also heard that TOM and select others are on a "short list" for remakes.

#156 1 year ago

just a desire to win some recognition for an underrated machine. As to "that's not the way it works" it works the way each person would like it to work.

You must excuse me for availing myself of the pinside rating system during such a biased period of initiation when literally all the specific ratings points were made during a time of infatuation.

So which is it? These are not compatible explanations.

Your ethics are dubious at best.

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So which is it? These are not compatible explanations.
Your ethics are dubious at best.

Both actually. That''s why both were stated. As to dubious ethics, based on my desire to celebrate pinball machines....God you seriously need to get a life, and stop trolling me on this thread like a broken record.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I'll qualify my previous statement, even though I'm sure it's been covered before. Jpop games seem to be wrapped up in mechanical novelties--a pejoritive term would be "gimmicks". This manifests itself in his obsession with designs and playfield features from the bygone EM era, where a game could be built around one good gimmick (gameplay be damned). Watching these gimmicks unfold before your eyes the first time is pretty darn cool. This is probably where your terms "heavenly bliss" and "rapturous” come into play (it sounds like you need a cigarette and some towels after playing a Jpop game using that kind of language!). But, I, and judging by some of the comments left here so far, need a bit more than just cool spinning saws and a few diverting magnets to justify their purchase, because while gimmicks could carry a game in an arcade, it may not in a home environment. The ultimate, sad conclusion to all of this Jpop "gimmick" arguement is Magic Girl, which upholds the same formula: as a box of lights it looks great, but as a game it doesn’t play (QUITE LITERALLY).
I’m not a good player. At all. I stink. I’ve never owned a CV or a TOTAN. But playing my friends’ games, I could reach the wizard mode and see the “end” of both CV and TOTAN more than 50% of the time that I stepped up to them. This is how I formed my conclusion that Jpop games are all flash and little substance to sink your teeth into. I’ve got a World Cup Soccer, and it seems the most polished and challenging of the bunch, but still near the middle of the pack as far as WPC games go. If you were tweaking rules and releasing them with the remake of the game, I think there'd be a more viable market for TOTAN or CV.
Hopefully the informal survey pans out you. I would also like to see the link to the FB post about TOM being the next game on the remake radar.

Spiro, there was never any statement from any source that intimated that Theatre of Magic was the "next" re-make. The press release, easily accessed online mentions TOM after MB, CC and BBB but the point is that it IS one of the ONLY four that have been mentioned, meaning we probably won't see until 2021 unless the frequency of release is speeded up. Speculation has also focused on TOTAN and CV, but unlike TOM it is just educated guessing unlike TOM which was named.......I like your post a lot, even if I love JPOP''s work much more because your arguments are intelligent, knowledgeable, humble and polite, devoid of name calling and anger employed on this thread when a respondent is unable to separate JPOP from his work.

#159 1 year ago

God you seriously need to get a life, and stop trolling me on this thread like a broken record.

Trolling trolls is secondary hobby.

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from AFM95:

jjhlh - Did anyone respond? I have the same question as you.
farfromheaven26 - Where did you read the CGC press release about hinting at remaking TOM? Thanks in advance.

AFM95, I am on my cell phone at home but will be sure to post the link to you as soon as I get on the school PC in the morning.

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Trolling trolls is secondary hobby.

Yet I am the one who created this post and politely asked for votes. You came barging in full of anger spewing opinions as if they were facts. Nah, YOU are the troll trying unsucessfully to crash a pinball celebration party. Rather than making endless appearances here I have a better solution. Copy a photo on line of JPOP and attach it to that dart board hanging in your basement. Maybe that will allow you a better outlet for your anger management issues.

#162 1 year ago

World Cup Soccer gets my vote, not the prettiest but the most fun to play! Poll not working for me, zero options coming up?

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from mark9:

World Cup Soccer gets my vote, not the prettiest but the most fun to play! Poll not working for me, zero options coming up?

Mark, I did something wrong in posting the poll formally, but be rest assured my friend your vote for WCS has been officially counted. Thank you.

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from AFM95:

jjhlh - Did anyone respond? I have the same question as you.
farfromheaven26 - Where did you read the CGC press release about hinting at remaking TOM? Thanks in advance.

AFM95, here is the promised link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-more-speculation-planetary-pinball-to-remake-mb-bbb-tom-and-cc

#165 1 year ago

I'd vote for CV. I love the game. The odd playfield layout, the Ringmaster toy that can throw the ball all over the place, act like a bash toy, then become a subway shot makes for a cool toy. The two different physical ball locks and the two different wizard modes of Join the Circus push the game over the top IMO, and makes the game one of my favorites. I also love the crazy green cab art and the neon tube which makes it stand out in a line up.

TOM would be second, then TOTAN, then WCS bringing up the rear. WCS is still great though, even though I'm ranking it last. JPOP was great at concepting stuff and getting so far in design. Obviously, as we know, it was paramount to pair the guy with a competent mechanical engineer, coder, and design team to push all of these games across the finish line when he worked with Williams.

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I'd vote for CV. I love the game. The odd playfield layout, the Ringmaster toy that can throw the ball all over the place, act like a bash toy, then become a subway shot makes for a cool toy. The two different physical ball locks and the two different wizard modes of Join the Circus push the game over the top IMO, and makes the game one of my favorites. I also love the crazy green cab art and the neon tube which makes it stand out in a line up.
TOM would be second, then TOTAN, then WCS bringing up the rear. WCS is still great though, even though I'm ranking it last. JPOP was great at concepting stuff and getting so far in design. Obviously, as we know, it was paramount to pair the guy with a competent mechanical engineer, coder, and design team to push all of these games across the finish line when he worked with Williams.

Awesome, absolutely fantastic comment here in every sense Rum-Z. I so agree with your wonderfully framed and passionate position on CV and the other games! Thank you so much!

#168 1 year ago

Yes, that’s what I thought he was referring to. It’s not a press release from CGC, but Rick from PPS is the license holder working with CGC and would definitely know what’s in the pipeline. Looking forward to the announcement, hopefully soon.

#169 1 year ago

I find it hilarious that someone voted a gilligan's island a 10. You are basically saying that GI is a better game then DI or TWD.

#170 1 year ago

I understand all the hate for the guy and the big mess with Zidware stuff but... why so many people were ready to buy/discuss/ follow the Zidware pinball stuff? It has been nb 1 subject on this website for months and months. Ok the guy is not a genious but I'm not sure that with all this we could seriously discuss his past work in a regular way.
Game designers are not genious, they mostly working with a good team and everyone is helping. Jpop was a newby at first: Wcs94 and then lead for great design and fun pins. If he was that bad: no one will never have cared with his past work after Williams. I don't spend my life here but it's still a hobby so if we don't like the pin or the guy, don't waste your time with this topic and play / disuss other pins instead

#171 1 year ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yep i think cv with home rom is the best overall of the bunch especially set up difficult. Im picking up a blinged out huo cv this week actually....

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I find it hilarious that someone voted a gilligan's island a 10. You are basically saying that GI is a better game then DI or TWD.

I find it hilarious that you would waste my time and your own time visiting a thread created to discuss favorite prospects of a well-known designer for possible CGC re-make to instead divert to attempt mockery for my ratings of a newly acquired machine that my family and I have been enjoying greatly. But heaven forbid you would dare say anything nice in view of my previous explanations, but since I have NOT rated DI or TWD and in fact have only rated six (6) machines in total, how can you assert that I found GI "better" than those two? Since I issued 10s to several others, it seems likely I'd have spread the wealth. When I return home later from a family dinner I will be removing my six ratings from pinside so trolls on this thread will no.longer be able to focus on an issue that is wholly insignificant and irrevelevent to the query I have posed.

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep i think cv with home rom is the best overall of the bunch especially set up difficult. Im picking up a blinged out huo cv this week actually....

Wow that"'s so fantastic bigd!! Best wishes with your beautiful new CV acquisition!!

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I understand all the hate for the guy and the big mess with Zidware stuff but... why so many people were ready to buy/discuss/ follow the Zidware pinball stuff? It has been nb 1 subject on this website for months and months. Ok the guy is not a genious but I'm not sure that with all this we could seriously discuss his past work in a regular way.
Game designers are not genious, they mostly working with a good team and everyone is helping. Jpop was a newby at first: Wcs94 and then lead for great design and fun pins. If he was that bad: no one will never have cared with his past work after Williams. I don't spend my life here but it's still a hobby so if we don't like the pin or the guy, don't waste your time with this topic and play / disuss other pins instead

That is fair enough and very well stated and reasoned. Would you happen to have a favored choice among JPOP''s machines to be re-made by CGC?

#175 1 year ago

I do already own CV and totan among others . I really like original game because i like owning/restoring original pins. In Europe, most of those pins have seen bars for years and are often not in great shape. So to answer your question: as a remake i would buy the TOM i think. I have room issue and my house can no longer have a new pin anyway.

#176 1 year ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I do already own CV and totan among others . I really like original game because i like owning/restoring original pins. In Europe, most of those pins have seen bars for years and are often not in great shape. So to answer your question: as a remake i would buy the TOM i think. I have room issue and my house can no longer have a new pin anyway.

Thanks so much Noitbe1!!!

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

My six game ratings have officially been cancelled and will be reflected in next Monday''s new cumulative standings.

#178 1 year ago

My six game ratings have officially been cancelled and will be reflected in next Monday''s new cumulative standings.

You should rate games however you want if that is what you truly believe.

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

You should rate games however you want if that’s what you truly believe.

Thank you so much for that JJHLK!! Much appreciated. You are right methinks, and standing my ground was an appealing option. I only buckled in fear that the main focus of this thread would be compromised. I do intend to return to the ratings and also expand in volume. Thanks again.

#180 1 year ago

I am finding it very difficult to choose between these three great games for Chicago Gaming re-visitation. Count me as someone who recognizes John Popadiuk's recent fiasco, but also appreciates he is one of the best pinball designers in the history of the game. CV, TOTAN and ToM are among the very best games ever made, and truth be said all three should be re-made by CGC. Since you are asking for an order here is my suggestion:

1. Cirqus Voltaire
2. Theatre of Magic
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights

I also love WCS, but don't consider it in a league with the above three, all of which are with the most beautiful tables visually. Sorry you had to endure such mean-spirited posts, FarFromHeaven26. I understand why, but great work is great work, no matter how a person could be tainted for other reasons. A little Richard Wagner or Woody Allen anybody?

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead6446:

I am finding it very difficult to choose between these three great games for Chicago Gaming re-visitation. Count me as someone who recognizes John Popadiuk's recent fiasco, but also appreciates he is one of the best pinball designers in the history of the game. CV, TOTAN and ToM are among the very best games ever made, and truth be said all three should be re-made by CGC. Since you are asking for an order here is my suggestion:
1. Cirqus Voltaire
2. Theatre of Magic
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights
I also love WCS, but don't consider it in a league with the above three, all of which are with the most beautiful tables visually. Sorry you had to endure such mean-spirited posts, FarFromHeaven26. I understand why, but great work is great work, no matter how a person could be tainted for other reasons. A little Richard Wagner or Woody Allen anybody?

Pinhead, you are a man after my own sensibilities. Your uplifting post is music to my ears, and your vote and engagement here deeply appreciated!

#182 1 year ago

VOTING RESULT ANNOUNCEMENT!

It seems this thread has ebbed, though it is also conceivable further action may come to pass.

At present here is where we stand:

1. Cirqus Voltaire 10
2. Theatre of Magic 8
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights 6
4. World Cup Soccer 4

Thanks so much to all who have engaged and cast ballots!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blandon, PA
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside