(Topic ID: 215650)

What is John Popadiuk's Greatest game and the one CGC should do first?

By FarFromHeaven26

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which John Popadiuk pinball machine should CGC do first? CV, TOTAN or TOM?”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180429-180708 (resized).png
C9CA6F40-A308-4304-A3BB-CDD7879974B9 (resized).jpeg
67277529-3280-4E3D-8D47-F589727F6A3B (resized).png
85AA220C-36A9-4E89-BA54-F2DC68E28E5B (resized).jpeg
bag o dicks (resized).jpg
3 dots (resized).png
Cirqus-Voltaire-Pinball-Machine (resized).jpg
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

See... that's not how that's supposed to work. That's "gaming" the system. You'd think as a career teacher you would have a better grasp of ethics.

Nah I didn't find what I did such a glaring ethical breach at all, just a desire to win some recognition for an underrated machine. As to "that's not the way it works" it works the way each person would like it to work. The top rating in any case reflected my true feelings anyway.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

JPOP games are pretty, but not that fun for me personally. I wouldn’t be buying any of them. If you are drawn to his art style, then I can see the attraction.
My casual observations are that JPOP fans tend to be more aesthetic collectors than players and tinkerers. The “JPOP makes artful masterpieces” group usually doesn’t care for WCS94. Conversely, WCS seems to be the only JPOP game most regular players and tinkerers are drawn to.
Considering that this is an enthusiast forum and JPOP recently took a lot of money from collectors and gave them nothing, he’s not the most popular name in Pinball right now.
My pic below is a quick search of IPDB using the JPOP name.

Nevus, this is a fair and reasonable post down the line. I do well understand that JPOP was involved in this lamentable episode, and I feel this is somewhat unjustly affecting his past work with some. (Others here have still defended his artistry in this divided thread). Though I stand solidly with the pinsiders who have celebrated the excellent game play in his most beloved machines, I fully acknowledge that aesthetic beauty is a large part of the appeal. I do feel that this aspect of pinball collecting remains paramount to my own tastes, as it does with so many others.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

As to "that's not the way it works" it works the way each person would like it to work.

It's nice you can make up your own version of reality and create a nice little cognitive dissonance.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's nice you can make up your own version of reality and create a nice little cognitive dissonance.

Pretty much as YOU have done here in forging your own rules, which you feel others must follow. And getting pretty personal as well in these undeserved attacks you've heaved my way on this thread, all because I have the temerity to love some games by JPOP, games pinsiders have rated mightily.

#105 5 years ago

Attacks? I must have missed something.

You know if you go to a persons post and hit the little black head and shoulder in the upper right it will only show that persons posts in that thread? If you think Astro personally attacked in this thread you won't make it long here unless you get a box of chill pills.

Back to the subject. I have only ever played CV so my opinion doesn't matter but as has been said the past dealings from jpop matter more than the games to many here.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Attacks? I must have missed something.
You know if you go to a persons post and hit the little black head and shoulder in the upper right it will only show that persons posts in that thread? If you think Astro personally attacked in this thread you won't make it long here unless you get a box of chill pills.
Back to the subject. I have only ever played CV so my opinion doesn't matter but as has been said the past dealings from jpop matter more than the games to many here.

Ah a cheerleader employing gang up. Thanks but no thanks. Maybe YOU need to take the chill pill. I posted to spread positive energy for beloved games.

#107 5 years ago

My friend has CV, TOTAN, and TOM a in pristine condition. The one I play the most is CV. It is a different experience than most games. Of the three I want a CV most

#108 5 years ago

For a remake: I would say likely: (those 3...)
1: TOM
2:CV (only 2700 made)
3: totan

For the Totan, rerwriting the software a bit would have been great because some stuff made the pin too easy or missing: advance jewel with lamp, save ball during multiball ...

#109 5 years ago

Ah a cheerleader employing gang up. Thanks but no thanks. Maybe YOU need to take the chill pill. I posted to spread positive energy for beloved games.

Me a cheerleader? Carry on.

#110 5 years ago

Owned all three at the same time, not sure which I would bring back. They share a lot of general similarities. In my mind I pick one and can list - good theme, interactive toys, solid rules, great lighting, sound, art and use of magnets. All are easy to get to the wizard mode imo. Then I pick another and get the same characteristics. Repeat for the third. So think I would be 33 1/3% hoping for each one. However, I would prefer a CV based on it being more difficult to produce - oddball backbox and DMD on playfield. I appreciate the technology enough to make that .. my final answer.

No doubt JPOP veered off course, crashed and was never CONvicted, but as a designer, will be remembered as the King of Magnets.

#111 5 years ago

Popadiuk did a great game?? Maybe Williams should have released it instead of his crap games they put out with his name on it.

(Disclaimer: Popadiuk's games suck)

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Popadiuk did a great game?? Maybe Williams should have released it instead of his crap games they put out with his name on it.
(Disclaimer: Popadiuk's games suck)

Really? Is that why TOM, TOTAN and CV are all entrenched in the pinside Top 25, with glowing assessments and eternal love? But by all means spew forth with the hate. We want some comedy on this thread too in addition to the astute votes and observations being posted.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Owned all three at the same time, not sure which I would bring back. They share a lot of general similarities. In my mind I pick one and can list - good theme, interactive toys, solid rules, great lighting, sound, art, easy to get to wizard mode. Then I pick another and get the same characteristics. Repeat for the third. So think I would be 33 1/3% hoping for each one. However, I would prefer a CV based on it being more difficult to produce though - what with oddball backbox and DMD on playfield. I appreciate the technology.
No doubt JPOP veered off course, crashed and was never CONvicted, but as a designer, will be remembered as the King of Magnets.

Jeff, methinks this is truly a banner response!!!! Awesome! The King of Magnets is most apt absolutely!!

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Until Jpoop pays everybody back he can......

Wasn't that the same gift you had for Andrew or Heighway Pinball 1.5? Regifting much? haha. I was hoping for some more creativity Ted.

#115 5 years ago

Between all the ranting against JPOP and the genuine veneration for his sublime pinball creations, I have here the current standings for the CGC re-make prospects on Sunday morning, April 29th. By a narrow margin, CGC's intentions have been validated at this point:

1. Theatre of Magic 6
2. Cirqus Voltaire 5
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights 4
4. World Cup Soccer 3

Hopefully there will be more votes cast moving forward. Thanks so much to all!

#116 5 years ago

Between all the ranting against JPOP and the genuine veneration for his sublime pinball creations, I have here the current standings for the CGC re-make prospects on Sunday morning, April 29th. By a narrow margin, CGC's intentions have been validated at this point:
1. Theatre of Magic 6
2. Cirqus Voltaire 5
3. Tales of the Arabian Nights 4
4. World Cup Soccer 3
Hopefully there will be more votes cast moving forward. Thanks so much to all!

Don't think you can tie the results from this thread's comments with CGC's stated intentions to produce TOM. The results reflect which JPOP game people think CGC should make next. That is not the same as asking people to list their:

Favorite JPOP to play
Favorite JPOP to own
Favorite JPOP to buy
Favorite JPOP to buy not already owned
Favorite JPOP to drop money
Favorite JPOP you can never find to play

Also it is not the same as asking CGC:

Which games of any Designer has potential to sell max # units
Which games of any Designer has potential to sell acceptable # units
Which games of any Designer has no legal issues remaining
Which games of any Designer has no physical issues or hurdles remaining
Which games of any Designer can be made with minimal effort (low fruit)

But rather the results reflect which JPOP game some people want CGC to make next. And that is something....and it's a good start.

#117 5 years ago

Don't think you can tie the results from this thread to CGC's stated intentions to produce TOM. Poll results reflect which JPOP game people think CGC should make next. That is not the same as asking people to list their:
Favorite to play
Favorite to own
Favorite to buy
Favorite to buy not already owned
Favorite to drop money
Favorite you can never find to play
Also it is not the same as asking CGC:
Which has potential to sell max # units
Which has potential to sell acceptable # units
Which has no legal issues remaining to produce
Which has no issues remaining to manufacture
Which costs the most to remaining
But it does reflect which JPOP game some people want CGC to make next.

Jeff, I asked in the title of my query which machine did respondents think CGC should do next, and basically intertwined it with a general and relevant opinion as to what what machine each person likes best. All of the questions you present are connected to what each person will say no doubt. My vote also went to CV, but I would at this stage buy any and all of the three. Though our model here is quite small I think it is somewhat telling that so far CGC's stated commitment to re-make TOM has been modestly validated in this query, but I dare say we do have a way to go if this thread has legs. Also, I have a sneaky suspicion all your framings are being pondered by CGC before and when they move forward with the re-make. Unless there is a drastic misgiving I think Rick has already firmed up with CGC plans to make TOM again, so this thread is just a furthering of the discussion and an innocuous vote in food for thought mode.

#118 5 years ago

I would have to agree with the order stated above although 1 and 2 are very close

#119 5 years ago

Magic Girl though, I have one of those and man does it blow the rest right out of the water! Proves John is getting better with age!

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Magic Girl though, I have one of those and man does it blow the rest right out of the water! Proves John is getting better with age!

How does it shoot?

#121 5 years ago

you did see my emoji right ?

#122 5 years ago

I don't know on this one, its one of the original prototypes which I think was his so I have just left it in the box and will see down the road what the smithsonian willing to pay to put right beside Wizard of OZ

#123 5 years ago

Have the top 3 in my collection. What I call the top 3 anyways. As a collector I prefer to have originals only and I will make them to the quality wanted necessary to keep for me. As long as life will let me anyways.

I understand the want for remakes. Just not for me.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I don't know on this one, its one of the original prototypes which I think was his so I have just left it in the box and will see down the road what the smithsonian willing to pay to put right beside Wizard of OZ

Did you have to sign over rights to American Pinball or later to deeproot .... or did your deal expire? Wasn't sure if there was any ongoing contention or litigation.

#125 5 years ago

Did you have to sign over rights to American Pinball or later to deeproot .... or is that a point of contention?

nope contract stipulates what he needed to deliver to all and well it was not complete nor a 100% working game so my lawyers said they cannot assume it has transferred.

#126 5 years ago

I have long felt GILLIGAN'S ISLAND was grossly underrated and thought I'd try and boost it so it would place in the Top 300.

And this is exactly why the pinside top 100 ratings are complete bullshit. The only people who actually care about them are so busy manipulating them with ridiculous scores, the end result is a cesspool of misinformation. The rest of us watch with mild amusement as folks like you continually tout the numbers as actually meaning something

Really? Is that why TOM, TOTAN and CV are all entrenched in the pinside Top 25, with glowing assessments and eternal love?

Yep, enshrined by cheaters like you who game the system with crazy ratings. But hey, it's fitting that his games would be promoted by shysters...

#127 5 years ago

Having played them all and owned CV. I would repurchase CV.
It's fun to play, makes you laugh and is a work of art to look at. It's not deep but it is FUN!
CGC could have an awesome interactive Ringmaster topper spring out of his box talking some trash to the player. The color DMD was not out when I owned it, that would be a nice plus to go with the colors of the game.

Jpop = scumbag for what he did but that's a different thread.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

And this is exactly why the pinside top 100 ratings are complete bullshit. The only people who actually care about them are so busy manipulating them with ridiculous scores, the end result is a cesspool of misinformation. The rest of us watch with mild amusement as folks like you continually tout the numbers as actually meaning something

Yep, enshrined by cheaters like you who game the system with crazy ratings. But hey, it's fitting that his games would be promoted by shysters...</blockquote

God all you keep doing is coming back to fight. Give us all a fucking break. I rated what 5 games out of the hundreds available to me and the end result didn't affect the results one hundredth of a point. So disenguous of you to equate that to widespread fraud by thousands of pinside who not only voted but gave detailed and informed reasons for their vote. Yeah, I'll cite consensus over and over and over than bow down to your arrogance and negative energy. I asked for a vote here. Your gave your opinion. Has been duly noted.

#129 5 years ago

Fix your post so it doesn't look like I'm stating your rant, please. And I'm just calling it as I see it - you admitted to gaming the very system you keep promoting. Sorry if the truth hurts. Enjoy your JPOP remakes.

#130 5 years ago

Can we stop talking about this guy? Didn’t he jump the shark before 2000? We have three awesome new designers let’s talk about them! Oh and they haven’t folded a business with questionable moral decisions.... next!

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Can we stop talking about this guy? Didn’t he jump the shark before 2000? We have three awesome new designers let’s talk about them! Oh and they haven’t folded a business with questionable moral decisions.... next!

Look this is a post about three beloved pinball machines. I asked for a VOTE.I did NOT ask for a character investigation on a person, who coincidentally is also a creative genius. Nobody is forcing you to vote. ....Next.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Fix your post so it doesn't look like I'm stating your rant, please. And I'm just calling it as I see it - you admitted to gaming the very system you keep promoting. Sorry if the truth hurts. Enjoy your JPOP remakes.

Not able to fix prior post right now as I have cell phone and am covering Tribeca Film Festival. I am not gaming any system, as I rated a scant six machines total. Just bought a mint Gilligan''s Island weeks back and was so thrilled and excited with it that I decided to do something I had never done previously, and that is to rate a machine!!!! Pinside needed five more to count my GI What you fail to include in your repeated mentioning of this is that my "boost"coincided with my true feelings on the game........The only truth I see is that all machines are beloved.

#133 5 years ago

Can everyone stop poking this troll please.

#134 5 years ago

who coincidentally is also a creative genius

I literally spit out my drink on that one.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can everyone stop poking this troll please.

Hahahahahaha!!! Right. I post a poll thread, express unbridled passion while combating arrogance and venom and for that I am now labeled a "troll." OK. Look in the mirror.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I literally spit out my drink on that one.

Creative geniuses are often quite flawed.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Thank you. If I live a long life, I'll indeed enjoy playing, looking at and listening to them.

#138 5 years ago

Jpop is not a creative genius. There are literally thousands upon thousands of JPops out there.

As for the games, CV and TOTAN aren't great games. Two of my least liked.

#139 5 years ago

Your were bound to get some hate mail posting anything appreciating JPOP here. Lots of haters on here for good reasons. I have owned all three. The one I miss the most is CV. I like certain games for very different reasons than most. One of the things that really attracts me to a game is that very special something it can do. For CV it this: When the ringmaster picks up the ball, I will shake the machine so that his mug wobbles around. If you do this right before he releases the ball, the ball will launch across the play field in any direction. Sometimes it will land on the lock ramp and cause a "sneaky lock". That is the bomb! I will play that game just to make him do that! I will re-aquire a CV at some point, although it will most likely be an original.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I've owned every popadiuk game except ToM and none of 'em are worth reproducing.
WCS is fun, if basic, but they made plenty of 'em
ToM is OK, if exploitable, and they made plenty of 'em.
ToTAN is a beginner level game and gets real boring real fast - no legs at all.
CV is a 3 shot game (left orbit, RM, ramp), and a PITA to keep running on location.
SWep1 was an appropriately bad game for a pretty bad movie.
CGC is gonna do what CGC is gonna do, but IMHO any of these is a waste of time and resources.

Really appreciate this post I was really excited to get a new TOTAN or TOM but after reading your well thought out synopsis I think you are right. TOTAN is pretty shallow.

I guess I will hope for more money and space for TAF and TZ games I know I love, well some days not TZ.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Jpop is not a creative genius. There are literally thousands upon thousands of JPops out there.
As for the games, CV and TOTAN aren't great games. Two of my least liked.

Oh God no, there are millions, billions, trillions of JPOPS out there. In fact there is a JPOP living in just about every town in the world. For decades I considered TOTAN and CV supreme pinball masterpieces but now that you have degreed otherwise I bow down to you oh master.

#142 5 years ago

as I rated a scant six machines total. Just bought a mint Gilligan''s Island weeks back and was so thrilled and excited with it that I decided to do something I had never done previously, and that is to rate a machine!!!

Giving every game a 10 isn't rating them. Giligans island is ok but nowhere near a 10. Do you understand how a rating system works.

Screenshot_20180429-180708 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180429-180708 (resized).png

#143 5 years ago

IMHO It's not people trying to "game the system" as far as the rate system goes. It's a system that doesn't work. There should be rules for a rateing system that works. The rules will keep everyone in line and honest about their rateings

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Giving every game a 10 isn't rating them. Giligans island is ok but nowhere near a 10. Do you understand how a rating system works.

Mitch, this thread is about choosing which JPOP title pinball aficianados would prefer CGC to make first, not the level of real or padded love a New Jerseyite has for a newly acquired Gilligan's Island machine has for said buyer during the honeymoon phase. You must excuse me for availing myself of the pinside rating system during such a biased period of initiation when literally all the specific ratings points were made during a time of infatuation. Perhaps my penchant to spread good will and positive energy does not make me the ideal grader in this sense, that is largely why I have rated so very few machines. It would exceedingly more productive to explore the reasons why thousands of other pinsiders have praised TOTAN, TOM and CV through the rafters to the tune of Top 25 for each rather than sniffing a far reaching conspiracy that at least one other on this thread seems to think was launched or defined by moi........anyway, yes I do well understand indeed how the ratings work, I just in the future if I rate again need to reign in my desire to celebrate.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

IMHO It's not people trying to "game the system" as far as the rate system goes. It's a system that doesn't work. There should be rules for a rateing system that works. The rules will keep everyone in line and honest about their rateings

I am not quite sure how to respond to you here W166, as I am under the impression pinside has revised their rules fairly recently. I understand though that you are making a general statement and a most fair one at that.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Your were bound to get some hate mail posting anything appreciating JPOP here. Lots of haters on here for good reasons. I have owned all three. The one I miss the most is CV. I like certain games for very different reasons than most. One of the things that really attracts me to a game is that very special something it can do. For CV it this: When the ringmaster picks up the ball, I will shake the machine so that his mug wobbles around. If you do this right before he releases the ball, the ball will launch across the play field in any direction. Sometimes it will land on the lock ramp and cause a "sneaky lock". That is the bomb! I will play that game just to make him do that! I will re-aquire a CV at some point, although it will most likely be an original.

Aye my friend, precisely. A number of people are unable to separate John Popadiuk from his work. Yes they have very good reason to be furious, but this should not taint these great machines........all so well stated.

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Do you have a link to the CGC press release? I follow them on Facebook and don't see it. Are you referring to Rick's post (from PPS) regarding possible future titles?

JJHLH - Did anyone respond? I have the same question as you.

FarFromHeaven26 - Where did you read the CGC press release about hinting at remaking TOM? Thanks in advance.

#148 5 years ago

Jpop is a creative genius?? Now I've heard everything.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

jjhlh - Did anyone respond? I have the same question as you.

No, nobody responded but I’m almost certain that CGC hasn’t made any press release regarding future titles. They are very tight-lipped and won’t announce anything until it’s ready. I think the OP was referring to the posts Rick from PPS has made which indicated TOM is on the list of potential remakes along with MB, CC, and BBB.

Remake #3 is one of the best kept secrets in Pinball. Hopefully we will find out the title soon. I do know from talking with Doug at TPF that they plan to raise the bar as far as enhancements are concerned to a similar level that occurred from MMr to AFMr. He said the delay in announcing was so that they could add more features to the game.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Remake #3 is one of the best kept secrets in Pinball. Hopefully we will find out the title soon.

I hope so! The wait is driving me CRAZY! At first I was thinking it would be only a few weeks. We are at what, seven now? As far JPop games go, I think a TOTAN or CV with expanded/tweaked rules would be pretty cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-john-papadiuk-greatest-game-and-the-one-cgc-should-really-be-r/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.