18423932_10213959230638829_7493304154821395738_n (resized).jpg
18425090_10213959230078815_4391424438482806730_n (resized).jpg
20170523_225849 (resized).jpg
IMG_2346 (resized).JPG
IMG_2345 (resized).JPG
1785385-mav2 (resized).jpg
taxi3 (resized).jpg
bsdpf (resized).jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I love the game. I'm not sure why. Art, I'm a horror nut. A solid game.

Why is it so good? Hard? Looks nice?

Why do I like it? Why do you like it?

#2 6 years ago

Intuitive rules and atmosphere.

#3 6 years ago

I like it because it is a hard game the music, dots, and artwork are great and set the spooky mood for the game.

#4 6 years ago

It's got that "one more game" quality in spades. It can be terribly brutal most games with Lightning flippers, but in the rare event that you line up the three multiballs, it's absolute bliss!

#5 6 years ago

+1 "One more game"

But to me its a system 11 on steroids, which means just plain fun. If you like playing pinball then what's better than trying to stack 3 different multiballs.

I'm a horror nut as well so that helps. as do the epic dots and callouts

It was my favorite game before I got one and its still my favorite game after playing more than 2k games on the one I own. I've had mine for like 3 years and decided I'm going to keep it forever. If I ever got rid of it I would only want another down the road.

#6 6 years ago

Sorry, but not everyone feels the same way...can't stand that game. It's mean to me every time I have tried to play it.

#7 6 years ago

Simple ruleset + challenging layout + good atmosphere

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I love the game. I'm not sure why. Art, I'm a horror nut. A solid game.
Why is it so good? Hard? Looks nice?
Why do I like it? Why do you like it?

Presentation!

#9 6 years ago

30 million!!!!

#10 6 years ago

BSD is great.

THIRTY MILLION!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

BSD is great.
THIRTY MILLION!

Exactly!! In my Homer Simpson voice. I've had the game for three years, and it's shocking how few times I've actually heard "Thirtyyyy Milllllion!" Great game

#12 6 years ago

People seem to like it for stacking Mist multiball? That and the Wolf video mode are the only two things I personally like. The art is mediocre, sound is "eh" and I find it a bit wood-choppy playwise. Not a lot going on other than Mist.

So as to avoid accusations of trolling and/or derailing a thread, this is my personal opinion as an above-average but not particularly amazing player.

#13 6 years ago

I like the fact that it has a system 11 feel but has some great features that certainly are not included on any system 11... Stacking multi balls for higher jackpots was a new thing in pinball at the time it came out. Also, the movie is not bad at all. Killer video mode, the sounds are really good as well. As far as I'm concerned, BSD has some of the best dots ever created in all of pinball. Also has one of the coolest toys in pinball. End of ball carry over bonus was a nice throwback to some of the great 80's games that had that feature. LEDs allow for some really creative mods. Lightning flippers make it harder for certain. Some like that fact, some hate that fact. The game actually has a similar layout to Taxi when you think about it. Probably why I like both games a lot.

For what they sell at, I think it's the best value in pinball right now.

#14 6 years ago

It's an early 90's pin, durring a time when pinball didn't have to go through so much "red tape marketing/licensing protocol."

Just read some of these classic quotes (some of the best in all of pinball) ;

""Welcome to my home." (start game)
"Welcome to the Carpathians." (start game)
"Do you believe in destiny?" (start game)
"Everlasting love." (Love Never Dies)
"Our love is stronger than death." (Love Never Dies)
"You are safe with me." (Love Never Dies)
"I give you life eternal." (Love Never Dies)
"I am Dracula." (random)
"I never drink... wine." (random)
"I hear you are a man of good... taste." (random)
"There is no life in this body." (random)
"I am the monster that breathing men would kill." (random)
"I am the last of my kind." (random)
"Do not fear me." (random)
"See me now." (random)
"There are no limits to science." (random)
"How few days go by to make up a century." (random)
"Get the Extra Ball." (Extra Ball lit by Loops)
"Extra Ball!"
"Winds, Winds, Winds!" (beginning of Mist Multiball)
"Ten Million" (Mist Multiball)
"Twennnty Million" (Double Mist Multiball)
"Thirrrrrrrrrrrty Million" (Triple Mist Multiball)
"Vampires do exist." (Coffin Ramp 500K)
"It is a beast, a monster!" (Coffin Ramp 1M)
"Dracula fears us." (Coffin Ramp 1.5M)
"A moment's courage, and it is done!" (Coffin Ramp 2M)
"It is here that we must find him and destroy him utterly!" (opening Coffin)
"Do not fail here tonight!" (starting Coffin Multiball)
"I've seen many strange things already!" (light Castle Lock)
"I know now that I am a prisoner." (light Castle Lock)
"I just want to cut off her head and take out her heart." (light Castle Jackpot)
"We may yet save her precious soul!" (light Double Castle Jackpot)
"She is the Devil's Concubine!" (Castle Jackpot)
"I cast you out, Prince of Darkness, into Hell!" (Double Castle Jackpot)
"Lives, I need lives for the Master!" (Asylum in Multiball)
"Would you care for an hors d'oeuvres, Dr. Seward?" (Asylum in Multiball)
"Ha ha ha!" (end of Multiball)
"You think you can destroy me with your idols?" (start Rats)
"Your puny efforts amuse me." (fail Rats)
"My revenge has just begun." (start Bats)
"Your struggles are futile." (fail Bats)
"Listen to them, the Children of the Night." (starting Video Mode)
"You are the love of my life, alive again." (Replay)
"I have crossed oceans of time to be with you." (Special)
"Oh, this is too easy..." (quick side drain)
"You are but mortal, after all." (side drain)
"I feel like a blundering novice!" (end of extremely poor game)
"Blood is too precious a thing in these times." (end of game)
"We shall do battle once more." (Match)
"I condemn you to living death." (Match)
"You are a worthy opponent." (high score)
"Behave yourself." (Tilt, only on newer ROMs)
"Aren't you forgetting something?" (press Start, no Credits)"

#15 6 years ago

I've played mine thousands of times. It just never gets old for some reason. It's just such a ball buster

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The game actually has a similar layout to Taxi when you think about it. .

You're smoking something...tell me how this is ANYTHING like Taxi

bsdpf (resized).jpgbsdpf (resized).jpg
taxi3 (resized).jpgtaxi3 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

The shot layouts are exactly the same man.

#18 6 years ago

Never seen those tables compared like that and they are very similar,still...I will own a BSD when the timing and price is right.
-Mike

#19 6 years ago

That's like saying any table with a right and left shot and pops in the middle is similar. My Maverick is more like Taxi than BSD. It also has a 3-bank drop in the center (like Taxis Marilyn bank) and a drop set on the right (like Pinbot bank on Taxi) The VUK on Mav is the same shot as Taxis Santa.

1785385-mav2 (resized).jpg1785385-mav2 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

No it's not. You're over-reacting. Besides, Maverick has no left ramp.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

No it's not. You're over-reacting. Besides, Maverick has no left ramp.

Yes it does....it's disquised as a paddlewheel!

#22 6 years ago

For me it's the sound effects. Love it

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

30 million!!!!

Seeing you said it first, yes, 30 million. It is the essence of this game. On a properly setup game, it is difficult to do. But when you do it, you feel like a pinball god. It is so simple, yet so hard to do.

Quoted from snyper2099:

The game actually has a similar layout to Taxi when you think about it.

You might say Bad Cats, but not Taxi.

#24 6 years ago

what I can't figure out is why it is so so hard to hit the left ramp/loop consistently. I can hit the left ramp in diner 10 times in a row, but the loop in BSD - if it's 3 times in a row it's amazing. It's somehow out of the sweetspot of the flipper. BSD would be a lot easier if the loop wasn't so hard. And it happens often enough that the ball rolls back down because it doesn't have enough speed.

But I get the comparison to Taxi and probably Diner - two ramps which return the ball to the same flipper for repeated ramp shots and this enormous obsticle in the middle of the playfield which you have to avoid at all costs. And the jet bumpers behind the obsticle.

#25 6 years ago

oops - obstacle

#26 6 years ago

Just finished playing BSD. About 10 games and it kicked my ass in everyone of them tonight. I love this game. Simple rule set but can be so brutal at times. Makes that one game where you kick its ass back so gratifying! I picked up TAF and BSD within a couple of days of each other and BSD is racking up games at least 3 or 4 to 1 on TAF.

#27 6 years ago

It is a beautiful game with a simple ruleset. It is very easy to understand, but hard as hell to play. It is the ultimate one more game machine.
I have owned it for 3 years, and have not seen 30 million yet.

The shots feel a bit strange on it, but I think that this is maybe because of the Lightning flippers? Anyone with normal flippers that can share any knowledge about that?

Oh, and it has fluffy the vampire for added score.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

It is a beautiful game with a simple ruleset. It is very easy to understand, but hard as hell to play. It is the ultimate one more game machine.
I have owned it for 3 years, and have not seen 30 million yet.
The shots feel a bit strange on it, but I think that this is maybe because of the Lightning flippers? Anyone with normal flippers that can share any knowledge about that?
Oh, and it has fluffy the vampire for added score.

never seen 30 million

wow you missed something

if BSD did not have this thirrtyyy Milliooon callout it wouldn't be the same game.. awesome callout! that is what i love the most in a pinball machine, the way how it says "jackpot or super jackpot" etc..

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

That's spot on. I'm not a horror nut, and before spending some time with the game, I had zero interest. A few years back, I helped fix a non-working BSD. Played it over and over again. It was addictive. Simple and hard, with good music and call outs. Plus, the Mist Ball is just damn cool.

#30 6 years ago

Game play saw it and liked playing at arcade
Played at pin shows I really like it

Problem for me is ownership. Too many young grandkids my wife disapproved of me getting game

#31 6 years ago

as said by few already : just hearing the "30 millions" callout is something very addictive

#32 6 years ago

This might be considered blasphemy by some, but if I could only own one 90's pin, it would be BSD without question.

The scoring rules are perfectly simplistic, yet difficult to achieve. Great shots, 3 unique multiballs, great sounds & one of the best jackpot callouts. When it's done up right with blue/purple/red LEDs & blood red trim, it's one beautiful looking pin. Always keeps you coming back for more. Stacking all 3 multiballs gets intense.

I will own one someday for sure.

#33 6 years ago

I have no clue what it is, but I want one so bad. Its a hard game, I get my ass kicked by it whenever I play it. Its very rewarding when you score high.

The multiball modes are great and the fact you can stack them is awesome

#34 6 years ago

Because Love never dies.
I will never sell this pin, and i sold many...
Just a perfect game, personnally it's the best Williams for me, excellent music and callouts, great flow, code is perfect, no stupid humor like many others machine from this generation. It's a player game, strategy and ball control are the key. I would never trade my BSD for a TZ MM or MB.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Normal flippers make the game too easy. I get it, everyone should set up their games the way they have the most fun. But every time I play a copy with full sized flippers, I get bored quickly. They are like a stake through the heart of the game.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Normal flippers make the game too easy. I get it, everyone should set up their games the way they have the most fun. But every time I play a copy with full sized flippers, I get bored quickly. They are like a stake through the heart of the game.

I think it would destroy the one more game aspect and make the game too easy.
But how does the shots feel with the intended and the original designed longer flippers?

#37 6 years ago

Just finished playing a few games on my BSD tonight. Had some short games for about 30 minutes. My wife walks into the room with our 7 month old daughter and they're both watching me play. Suddenly I get into a rhythm and hit the right ramp in succession and build up my Coffin Locks. I get Coffin Multiball running. Then I hit Mist Multiball. Now i'm in Rats mode and the game is yelling "TWENTY-TWENTY-TWENTY... MILLION." I'm hitting my shots! I just had ONE MORE Castle Lock to hit until I lose a few balls and the multi ball ended! My wife who knows little about pinball said to me 'wow, what a game!' This game is such a rush, even at just two multi ball modes. I have yet to reach 700+million score, but man, what a game.

#38 6 years ago

After reading all of this there is no doubt I need to own a BSD in the future. I'm certain.

#39 6 years ago

When I traded for my drac It had regular flippers.

My buddy and I both beat the grand champ on the game the next day.

Got lightning flippers which I prefer and haven't gotten to put in my name since.

to me its a hell of a lot better with lightning flippers.

But like I said this was my grail and its the perfect game

#40 6 years ago

It's a god damn masterpiece, that's what it is. I seeked out Bryan Kelly's personal machine and he made me bend over on the price, but I took it like a champ! Looking back on the price compared to the shit I see selling now, it feels like a bargain.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

It's a god damn masterpiece, that's what it is. I seeked out Bryan Kelly's personal machine and he made me bend over on the price, but I took it like a champ! Looking back on the price compared to the shit I see selling now, it feels like a bargain.

would love to see some pics of this one !

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

would love to see some pics of this one !

Here a gallery he sent me before I bought it

https://goo.gl/photos/wt1oka1jgKucMHhV8

1 week later
#43 6 years ago

BSD is incredible, I'll never sell mine. The challenging play and killer music, light show and animations make it a keeper. Out of my games, I'd say AFM and BSD are my favorite games to play, Shadow rocks too. I guess I gravitate toward fast, intense games in terms of play. Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirty Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillion!

#44 6 years ago

Do any of you have an issues with bounce back at mystery scoop?

#45 6 years ago

Best multiball game ever made. Fantastic jackpot sounds along with a well captured theme... Great game

#46 6 years ago

It is a good tournament game to see if players know the ruleset and are able to play the game.
Also it shows the skills of a player, if lightning flippers are installed.
The rest is just a well integrated theme use with animations, artwork, music, and sound.
Some operators got "confused" on how to fix the game, or just thought the Mist Multiball feature was more trouble that it was worth and disabled or modified the use of the function.
This game is not that temperamental in comparison to games such as Shadow or STTNG.
The game is more prone to planking due to insert use and LS manufacture.

As bit of pinball history as far as collectors are concerned, nobody even cared about this game before around 2002.
Many all over the world were in warehouses with a layer of dust.
Some were rescued before they were parted out for the WPC board sets which was common as the PCBs were worth more than the game.
I reimported dozens in the early 2000s.
It is always interesting to see people's opinions when they first "discover" the game today which is much different than those over 20 years ago.

#47 6 years ago

I don't disagree. For years (2000-2008) the game ALWAYS sold for around 1500 (or less). It's still affordable these days but finding one that cheap now would be a parts machine. Once BSD started having issues on location, most operators wouldn't even attempt to fix them. There is a lot to go wrong on the game and bulletproofing one is a test of patience.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It is a good tournament game to see if players know the ruleset and are able to play the game.
Also it shows the skills of a player, if lightning flippers are installed.
The rest is just a well integrated theme use with animations, artwork, music, and sound.
Some operators got "confused" on how to fix the game, or just thought the Mist Multiball feature was more trouble that it was worth and disabled or modified the use of the function.
This game is not that temperamental in comparison to games such as Shadow or STTNG.
The game is more prone to planking due to insert use and LS manufacture.
As bit of pinball history as far as collectors are concerned, nobody even cared about this game before around 2002.
Many all over the world were in warehouses with a layer of dust.
Some were rescued before they were parted out for the WPC board sets which was common as the PCBs were worth more than the game.
I reimported dozens in the early 2000s.
It is always interesting to see people's opinions when they first "discover" the game today which is much different than those over 20 years ago.

Cool bit of history. Mine's a reimport from the UK. Maybe you saved it for me, thanks!

IMG_2345 (resized).JPGIMG_2345 (resized).JPG

IMG_2346 (resized).JPGIMG_2346 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

Had my best game yet last night. Killed Dracula for the first time, got at least one castle jackpot, and a bunch OF THIRRTYYY MILLION!". Was exhilarating. BSD is so awesome when you get it rocking. My favorite game right now.

20170523_225849 (resized).jpg20170523_225849 (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago

I've had mine for a few months now. Came with regular flippers and swapped in lightning flippers. Never even played it with the regular flippers as it got shopped immediately. Had one of the best players in Michigan play a few games on it and got the GC score of over 2B. My best was one game of 1.89B. Too bad I tilted as I had a Rats and Bats bonus I lost.

18425090_10213959230078815_4391424438482806730_n (resized).jpg18425090_10213959230078815_4391424438482806730_n (resized).jpg
18423932_10213959230638829_7493304154821395738_n (resized).jpg18423932_10213959230638829_7493304154821395738_n (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-it-with-bsd/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.