What is good and safe to use on “sticking” flipper buttons?

(Topic ID: 225130)

What is good and safe to use on “sticking” flipper buttons?

By ezatnova

35 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by bzbatl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 35 days ago

Got a new AC/DC Vault Edition and installed some red/yellow changing LED flipper buttons since they look fantastic with the color theme of the machine.

Unfortunately, they aren’t quite the quality of the OEM buttons. They sometimes “catch” or “stick”, especially if they aren’t pressed in exactly straight (ie if they are pressed at a sort of down angle).

I’ve been contemplating what to use to fix this. I’m not sure if the inside button easily comes out of the outer ring portion, so maybe I could sand down around the sides to give it more room or smooth it out. Otherwise, I’ve hesitated to spray any kind of silicone or anything that might make it work better, out of fear for making fingers gross when playing and/or dripping down the cabinet sides, inside or outside.

Any suggestions (other than reinstalling the OEM buttons )?

#2 35 days ago

They probably stick because there is already too much space between the inside button and the outer ring. The extra space is allowing the button to go in at an angle and jam so sanding it would probably only make it worse.

I would try some gel lube that is safe for plastics. I used to use plain old Vaseline on Rubik's cubes and they would turn smooth as butter. Something like that should help without being messy. You should be able to disassemble them to get the lube inside.

#3 35 days ago

Vasoline will attract dust/dirt over time unless it's sealed so that might get messy. I would try a silicone spray. Works well on plastics.

#4 35 days ago

Thanks. Tried a minimal amount of white silicone spray. Feels a bit better off the bat...hopefully it lasts.

#5 35 days ago

A machine I picked up a while ago had some clear/LED flipper buttons installed that had the same problem and it annoyed the hell out of me. Thankfully, the machine also came with the original buttons, which I switched out and was much happier.

1 month later
    #6 7 hours ago

Reporting back about a month later. The little bit of white lithium grease that I sprayed in the buttons is still doing well. 90% improvement, which is enough to not have them truly stick anymore, or really annoy me with the feel.

#7 5 hours ago

Good tip. Have the same issue with my replacement buttons for Cyclone... will try out the lithium grease.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 16.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 15.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    € 27.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 68.00
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside