• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kiss my grits.PNG
images.jpg
Flo.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toddsolus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

To me flow is constant movement without having to wait too long for ramp returns, modes, and game interactions. For example: Return time on ramps with diverters like LOTR and BDK make flow slow and gets annoying after time. Another example is JM. I could not wait to get one. It lasted one week in my collection before the slow glove mode drove me crazy and I had to sell it. Avengers is another title that does not flow well. The playfield design with close distance between flippers and shots makes it a very difficult pin and also affects overall flow. I still enjoy it because of the difficulty but I have had very few games that I feel "flow well". Games that have tremendous flow in my opinion are Tron, Metallica, X-Men, IM, and ST to name a few.

I can't believe someone thumbs downed this post and didn't add anything....uh maybe it was just JM love that caused it. You can't argue with the full stop of the glove. I like that kind of thing in a pin though ,it gives me time to take a drink or 3.

but I think Pinmister is on the right track in his def though.

Steve Ritchie=flow Barry Oursler=not so much

#40 10 years ago

Yonkiman is referring to Flow Theory I think as introduced by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

"The flow state is an optimal state of intrinsic motivation, where the person is fully immersed in what he is doing. This is a feeling everyone has at times, characterized by a feeling of great absorption, engagement, fulfillment, and skill—and during which temporal concerns (time, food, ego-self, etc.) are typically ignored."

It is a theory of Optimal experience and can certainly apply to pinball. Maybe that is what SR is referring to in his designs.

here is a link to a TED talk http://www.ted.com/talks/mihaly_csikszentmihalyi_on_flow.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toddsolus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-flow?tu=toddsolus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.