• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kiss my grits.PNG
images.jpg
Flo.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I hear a lot of people throwing the word "flow" around -- especially on games that I consider have ZERO flow... And sometimes I'm thinking -- What? Is he f***ing crazy? Perhaps -- Or... do we just have different definitions of flow?

Let's see if we can create a "best" definition of flow...

1. Read all posts before you post, and see if your opinion has already been stated.
2. If you see a post that matches your precise view, vote for it !
3. If you don't see a definition you agree with, give your unique definition of flow, and expect some votes.
4. When we see some heavily voted definitions, I'll create a poll, and we can vote for the best definition.

Suggestions for creating your definition of flow:
1. Define what you think flow is.
2. Define what you think flow is NOT.

--> In this thread, since we are not rating baby pictures, please DO use your "thumbs down" button liberally. If you disagree with a definition, knock that sucker down. We want the definitions with the most points to rise up.

-mof

#3 10 years ago

1. I think flow means player interaction with the ball. I think the formula would look like this:
(Flipper Button Pushes** + Cabinet Nudges / Time) = Player Interaction.

(FBP+CN)/T=PI=Flow

I think flow is NOT the following:
2. anything that slows the ball down -- such as most ramp ball returns (habitrails)
3. anything that stops the ball (multi-ball lock, cellars, (some toys), unnecessary DMD animations/sounds/songs, flippers that force a trap nearly every time they are raised, etc.)
4. when shots cannot be made via backhand, requiring a post-transfer (which sometimes takes many steps) to make a shot**

** Ideally, most shots can be backhanded from either flipper. I would hesitate to count flipper passes as "action" -- alley passes to activate inlane switches, I certainly *would* count.

-mof

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

She was the waitress in dumb and dumber

LOL ! No... she was the waitress in Alice... "Kiss my Grits!"
-mof

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

Flow for me is the ability to string multiple different shots together without ever needing to trap the ball, do a dead flip etc. Combo'ing shots together.

STTNG - Alpha ramp to Beta Ramp To left orbit to Delta ramp to Left orbit to Delta, rinse and repeat - ball never stops.
ToM - center stairs, center stairs, inside loop, inside loop, right stair case, left orbit, left orbit ........ball never stops

(I don't know those two games very well.) You say the ball never stops. Curious -- does the ball ever lose ANY of its natural momentum in any of these shots mentioned? (For example, on a clean outer orbit shot, I would say "no perceivable momentum is lost.")

-mof

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
11 months later
#47 9 years ago

I'm still seeing the word "flow" kicked around to mean different things to different people.

1. What does "flow" mean to you?
2. In what games do you see the most flow?
3. What is the "ABSENCE of flow" feel like to you?
4. In what games do you see the least flow?

-mof

#48 9 years ago

My updated definition of flow looks more like this:

FLOW IS:
1. The ball is frequently fed from one shot to another (Grand Lizard, Seawitch)
2. The ball's speed is not considerably altered via any toy/ramp/mechanism. (Grand Lizard, Seawitch)

FLOW IS NOT:
1. When the ball is shot, and then the ball is stopped via toy/ramp/mechanism, to the point that the physics I applied to the ball with my shot is drastically, or completely removed from the ball. Either the trajectory or speed of the ball should still be influencing where the ball is seconds later. (Most DMDs and Moderns)

I'm starting to think it might be helpful to start using the phrase:

"Solid state flow" -- to mean my definition of flow
and
"DMD ramp flow" -- to mean the "spoon feed the ball safely back to the flippers after you make a ramp shot" definition.

But I don't want to assume there are only 2 definitions of flow being used. There may be 3 or 4 or more...

-mof

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I think it's largely uninterrupted shots that flow back to flippers.

Would you call it flow, when you hit the ball to the ferris wheel in Cyclone, and wait about 10 seconds to shoot again?

What does "uninterrupted" mean to you?

Back to Cyclone -- is it flow (for you) when you hit the Dracula shot, and wait 10 seconds for a prize on the backbox, and the ball comes back via the scoop to the flippers?

I'd say in that case the ball is "held hostage" for 10 seconds, and I can't interact with the ball. I'd say the same thing for the Ferris wheel ramp. My "action" is held hostage for the sake of an amusing toy/ramp/mechanism.

-mof

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

No. These 'held hostage' shots are not flow. They're things that stop the flow dead. They may be OK, but they contribute to the overall feeling of whether or not the game has "flow" in a general sense.
To me, uninterrupted means what it means. Don't stop the ball. If you do, you've interrupted it.

But the Ferris wheel never "held" the ball like a scoop or ball lock does, it always moves.
Help. This flow stuff is t-r-i-c-k-y.
-mof

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Not tricky at all. To me, that it an interrupted ball. It's slowly moving toward me. Too slow.

So it sounds like "velocity manipulation" is a factor for you.
-mof

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

no doubt about SeaWitch, nice FAST ball flow. very nice resto (and video) going on there too mof.
games that stop the ball too often and long can get tiresome-tedious-boring for putting the adrenaline on hold.. I do think its relative terms in that regard.

Thanks -- I'm starting to think that my favorite flow games are simply 4-flipper games (pre-DMD) where you are almost NEVER more than 1/2 a second away from having another action available to you (flip/nudge). What I can't explain is why I don't "feel" like Black Knight has great flow, perhaps it's the "way" the ball feeds abruptly to the lower flippers, and not-gracefully to the upper flippers. Perhaps the frequent ball locks takes away from the "feel" a little bit. It's REALLY tricky to lock a ball in GL, and there just isn't a ball lock in Seawitch. The ball travel is very graceful from lower to upper PF in GL since it's on one level.

I don't have this flow stuff "all figure out" yet -- I'm taking stabs at trying to figure out when games "feel" like they have flow and which ones don't -- and trying to see what traits they have in common to make sense of it all.

-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 16.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-flow?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.