(Topic ID: 4383)

What is expected voltage drop on Sys11B hold flipper coil?

By soren

12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinmike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 12 years ago

I'd like to add some punch to the flippers on my Sys11B machine, as I suspect they're getting somewhat weaker than they should.

The flipper supply voltage drops from 72v to 63v when a flipper (anyone, not on the same time) is energised and hold. I'll expect to see a drop, but can anyone give wise words as to if this is too much. And might indicate that the powersupply is weak or connectors too loose/dirty.

Further hints to gain flipper strength is gladly accepted. The moving part is cleaned and working great. EOS switch is brushed down. The coils though, I have not replaced. I measure 0.3 to 0.5 ohm on the EOS.

#2 12 years ago

The volts to flippers should 50v but you might want to take a look at
the coil sleeves and they might need replacing and they do play a big part .it would be a good idea to change out the coils and the coil sleeves this would make flippers very snappy

#3 12 years ago

Sleeves replaced recently. Sorry for not making this point.

The "weakness" I experience is mostly on the last 1/4 of the flipper's movement. By paradox, this makes it easier to handle the ball. The ball tends to soft land so to speak. Also when multi-ball cradle, you can sometimes see how the flipper struggles under the weight and drop a little.

Anyone seen behavior like this.

#4 12 years ago

It sounds more like a EOS problem but it could also be the coil.Are both flippers
doing the same thing?

#5 12 years ago

I'd say more or less the same.

#6 12 years ago

# Make sure the EOS (end of stroke) switch is properly adjusted. On non-fliptronics games, the EOS switch should open no more than 1/16" to 1/8" at the end of the flipper stroke. If the EOS switch is misadjusted, this can cause a slightly weaker flipper on old and new WPC games.
# On non-fliptronics games, file clean the EOS switch contacts and the cabinet flipper switches. These are high-voltage tungsten switch contacts, and a metal file will be needed to clean them. These switch contacts often become pitted and tarnished, and resistance develops, weakening flippers.
# Check the flipper power connections. On non-fliptronics games, this is connectors J109 and J110 on the power driver board. Make sure the solder joints on these board header pins are not cracked, and that the connector and header pins are in good shape.
# Check the bridge and capacitor that supplies voltage for all coils (BR3 and C8). An open diode in the bridge rectifier that supplies power to the flippers can cause weak flippers. A fatigued or cracked solder joint on this bridge (or its associated capacitor) can do that too. Soldering jumper wires from the bridge to its associated capacitor is a good idea. This is rare, but does happen. This problem will effect BOTH flippers equally

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 109.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-expected-voltage-drop-on-sys11b-hold-flipper-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.