(Topic ID: 352340)

What is Eric Meunier’s Best Design so far?

By Vino

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Eric Meunier best design to date?”

• Guns and Roses 22 votes
    18%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean 68 votes
    56%
  • The Godfather 32 votes
    26%

(122 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240224_223504416 (resized).jpg
FF38C872-DC91-42E9-8284-8041EED2648B.gif
#1 4 months ago

Eric Meunier now has three JJP titles under his belt. What layout do you feel is his best to date?
It’s possible some haven’t played all three, they are not all common on location.
Thanks for any input!

#2 4 months ago

Pirates is the correct answer. A bit rare to come across, but blew me away!!

#3 4 months ago

Pirates gets my vote

#4 4 months ago

I honestly don’t find any of them to be that good. I want to like Pirates but don’t enjoy it at all. I would say GnR is his best, especially with the snappier flipper upgrade. But to be honest, I would take most Stern designs over any of Eric’s games. I also would say Elton John’s layout is better than all of Eric’s designs. I like Eric a lot but just not a big fan of his game layouts

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from eharan:

I would say GnR is his best, especially with the snappier flipper upgrade.

Good point. Wondering how these new upgrades may impact how people feel about his pins.

#6 4 months ago

As an Eric I really like his GNR SE layout

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Good point. Wondering how these new upgrades may impact how people feel about his pins.

Ill go Godfather but I haven't played it. Played GNR SE and it's a total dog for me. Wasn't impressed much with POTC

#8 4 months ago

Played gnr, pirates and I own a gf.... I love everything about gf. Gnr I enjoy, has a cool and wild layout. I feel each game has a different layout

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ill go Godfather but I haven't played it.

Yeah not many out there.
Many more GNR on location, sometimes Pirates pops up at a show.

#10 4 months ago

Godfather definitely isn’t for me, but the pall path count is impressive. Haven’t played Pirates. GnR wins by default. Met Eric at TPF and chatted for a bit, very nice guy.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

sometimes Pirates pops up at a show.

Belive I played it with the triple disks...or I'd that just a Mandela effect?

#12 4 months ago

Not sure on his best game thus far, but definitely hoping his magnum opus is coming up next with Harry Potter , the responsibility on your shoulders with that behemoth theme can go a long way to defining your career as a designer

#13 4 months ago

I've owned all 3 and Pirates is the one I've enjoyed playing the most so far. Godfather is still under evaluation, but GnR is a definite third place finisher for me.

#14 4 months ago

Looking at that poll made me realize that all three of Eric’s games have been left incomplete and or not polished. This is a shame as Eric’s designs are great.

Finish the code JJP, it’s been years overdue in some cases.

#15 4 months ago

I don’t know what’s going on at JJP where they can’t finish anything, but Pirates gets my vote (I’ve not played GnR). That game was incredibly fun. Finally sold it when it became clear they would never finish it. I do regret selling

#16 4 months ago

Not overly impressed with any of his designs. His coding partner hasn’t done him any favors either

#17 4 months ago

Big fan of GnR. Mine plays fast and flowy - especially with the new board

#18 4 months ago

I've tried to like his game, unfortunately none of them click long term. I think his games suffer from similar unfinished multiball mania code.
I'm done with JJP until they step up to the plate and fix things.

#19 4 months ago

Does Godfather have complete code? Enjoyed that layout but haven’t followed the game since release. Looks like Pirates may be the favorite design wise.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Does Godfather have complete code? Enjoyed that layout but haven’t followed the game since release. Looks like Pirates may be the favorite design wise.

It's missing kiss the ring mode... I've owned it for 6 months and haven't gotten to baptism yet... it kicks my ass but I love it

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

My understanding (as I haven't got that far yet) is that "Kiss the Ring" - the final wizard mode - is awaiting additional code to be playable.

I'm enjoying Godfather's special gameplay features more as I better learn its rule nuances and get the shots down. A bit of a drain monster for me currently though.

Pirates is a great game in my book. One of my all-time favorites!

GnR is a beautiful game. Certain aspects with its layout and gameplay didn't end of being super fun for me though.

#22 4 months ago

Played GF last week, did absolutely nothing for me, easily down in the bottom with ts4.

I'd have to say pirates, gnr is for show.

#23 4 months ago

I guess… Pirates. Was hoping it would have been GNR.

#24 4 months ago

Id say pirates, I like his designs and he's a good dude!

#25 4 months ago

Played them all. Had them all on location near me for a while - pirates left about a month ago. Not a fan of any of them really. Layouts are cool. Light packages are cool. Art and sound is great but for some reason they never get my money. If someone else wants to play one I will - but its usually stern games for me.

#26 4 months ago

I think godfather is overlooked here personally, I only played it for a short time while a friend had it and didn't really understand the rules by the time he sold it but playfield spoke volumes.

#27 4 months ago

Have never been able to play Pirates.

I’m a big Eric M. fan and love my GNR and GF pins

The attention to detail with all of his games, and JJP in general I suppose, is amazing

Most importantly they are FUN

#28 4 months ago

I dig GF, its a somewhat unique design that won't nesscesarily "hit you" right away and that lends itself to the way the game is played.

On the code, some of his games list 3-6 people as worked on it, is it just a hard deal to get these people back in a groupchat or they've been told to abandon this? Just seems like if it was down to one guy who could finish things off on a few of his games that would not be a terrible investment.

But if its like twenty people would need to come back to work on the animations/sounds/ETC just to put in the final wiz mode, I can see that being left undone.

#29 4 months ago

I'm a big fan of Eric's games. They've always clicked with me and I love the fact that the rule sets are so deep that I keep learning new things even after owning a game for months. His games are perfect for a home environment. I have all three of his games and I like them all.

For design I would have to say Pirates is the best game. The rocking ship upper playfield with two flippers and a Canon that works is probably something we will never see similar on a game again. Pirates grabbed me from the first time I played it at SS billiards. I never thought I'd be able to get one and now that I have one, I can't imagine ever selling it even for some of the crazy prices they go for.

For music and concert integration guns n' roses is unmatched in my opinion. Every non-pinball person that plays it can't get enough of it. They just can't believe something like that exists in a pinball game. It's truly a concert under glass.

Godfather is his newest game to me. I've never seen the movies and I'm still figuring it out but I'm definitely enjoying it. There's so much to it I don't even have the skill shots down yet. And I don't know if he had any input on the topper, but that really takes it over the top for me. To be hitting super jackpots and hearing machine gun fire from the topper while the gangster moves and sprays bullets just really works.

Really the only criticism that I can get behind is the fact that for some reason his games that have super deep code sometimes lack that final polish. It's weird that you could put so much into a game and then leave it without a wizard mode or with some really unbalanced scoring that wouldn't take a lot to correct. I love his games as they are but I really do hope they get that final bit of polish at some point to make them shine even more.

PXL_20240224_223504416 (resized).jpgPXL_20240224_223504416 (resized).jpg
#30 4 months ago

Does anyone else notice that the exact same guys flock to *every* JJP thread to voice their hatred for these games and thumbs-up eachother, like a moth to flame? I can't be the only one. I agree JJP needs to step it up on code completion, but c'mon, find a better way to enjoy the hobby.

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Does anyone else notice that the exact same guys flock to *every* JJP thread to voice their hatred for these games and thumbs-up eachother,

FF38C872-DC91-42E9-8284-8041EED2648B.gifFF38C872-DC91-42E9-8284-8041EED2648B.gif
#32 4 months ago
Quoted from eharan:

I honestly don’t find any of them to be that good. ...

JJP games are not going to be to everyone's taste of course, but for me they have a richer immersive vibe to them.

I pretty much like almost all manufacturers' games, but higher price aside, if I got to choose the one to make my favorite themes, it would typically be JJP.

#33 4 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Does anyone else notice that the exact same guys flock to...

Did you ever notice *everyone* says the exact same thing over & over again for the last 13 years? Me too.

Now part 2 if you're bored. Point out the posts in here that

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

...voice their hatred for these games..

and we can see which ones were up voted by the usual cronies. I can find maybe 1.

#34 4 months ago

Pirates for sure.

#35 4 months ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I've tried to like his game, unfortunately none of them click long term. I think his games suffer from similar unfinished multiball mania code.
I'm done with JJP until they step up to the plate and fix things.

Not a fan either.

#36 4 months ago

I think Pirates is his best. He may never beat it.

But for my arcade it just wasn't great. Maybe a better home pin ?

The Godfather CE I traded my Pirates for has been awesome for my arcade.

You can't go wrong with an Eric pin.

LTG : )

#37 4 months ago

Pirates, but so far his designs are snoozers for me

#38 4 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

Pirates, but so far his designs are snoozers for me

You need to wake up then Woody

#39 4 months ago
Quoted from vic_vp:

It's missing kiss the ring mode... I've owned it for 6 months and haven't gotten to baptism yet... it kicks my ass but I love it

I'm sure it's coming just like the Pirates final wizard mode, 2028 is right around the corner.

#40 4 months ago

I think Eric is fine.... just fine. A bit over rated. I like gnr and pirates. Didn't care for GF at all. I guess I'd say Pirates, for me, but gnr is super fun. Just ruined by code, which may not be his fault?

#41 4 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Just ruined by code, which may not be his fault?

He is the Designer, so yeah that's what he wanted.

#42 4 months ago
Quoted from Jigs:

He is the Designer, so yeah that's what he wanted.

In that case, he's a fool. Hitting a single stand up 4 times equals multiball? Weeeee! How stupid.

#43 4 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

In that case, he's a fool. Hitting a single stand up 4 times equals multiball? Weeeee! How stupid.

I agree.

To each their own. Cheers.

#44 4 months ago
Quoted from Jigs:

...I edited my original post #35, because I sounded like a dick. So here I go again...

#45 4 months ago

I’m dying to play godfather

Love my GNR - shit is bolted to the floor, love blowing up a score and bagging score of like 90-100k - sits good in my line up as different to other pins - here in Aus, most people who didn’t like it had a GC if like 10k - then say the game is shit because they don’t understand the rules

Pirates is awesome but whoops my but - great shot selection - can’t justify $28k AUD but - that’s two QUALITY machines for that

#46 4 months ago
Quoted from Youcheatdrjones:

Love my GNR - shit is bolted to the floor, love blowing up a score and bagging score of like 90-100k - sits good in my line up as different to other pins - here in Aus, most people who didn’t like it had a GC if like 10k - then say the game is shit because they don’t understand the rules
Pirates is awesome but whoops my but - great shot selection - can’t justify $28k AUD but - that’s two QUALITY machines for that

But surely you can appreciate the combination of not knowing the rules and yet getting absolutely overwhelmed by multiballs for doing seemingly nothing can be vexing, right? Not to mention the first pinball machine in history where people actually prefer to time out wizard modes... This game needs a software overhaul badly.

#47 4 months ago

None of the above. I don't like any of his games but there are plenty of fish in the sea. I don't like any Lawlor DMD games so Eric is in good company and should sleep well at night without worrying about my opinion.

#48 4 months ago

One of my issues with GnR was the seemingly over frequency of multiballs and the increased chaos caused by the playfield layout tending to contain the balls within its lower half.

While multiballs were pretty frequent in Godfather when it was first released, the code has since been updated to make them shorter in duration and started less easily. Other than a possible one-time Super Skill Shot activation for the latter, Turf War and Compound multiball both require physically locking balls before they can be played. Sicily multiball needs to be set up and started by various shots. As a result, multiballs now play a more strategic role in supporting progress through the jobs (modes) - which is the primary focus for advancing in the game.

Additionally, Godfather's playfield layout allows greater access to, and makes more use of, its upper portion than GnR seemed to. As a result of the above, I enjoy playing Godfather more. My only real complaint with it is the frequency of cold SDTM drains for me.

#49 4 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

But surely you can appreciate the combination of not knowing the rules and yet getting absolutely overwhelmed by multiballs for doing seemingly nothing can be vexing, right? Not to mention the first pinball machine in history where people actually prefer to time out wizard modes... This game needs a software overhaul badly.

Yep agreed , but putting time into watching people like Karl play can make you much better

Needs an update absolutely, but since people still waiting for wizard mode on POTC, seems all hope is lost

#50 4 months ago
Quoted from Youcheatdrjones:

Right on with GNR. Love it, bolted down, especially with a new I/o board.

You will really like GF too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 210.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 11,999.99
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,389 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Land O' Lakes, FL
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.