(Topic ID: 64848)

What is done to a pin when it's "shopped".

By FoghornLeghorn

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by FoghornLeghorn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

New here and learning a ton, but I'm a little confused about what exactly is meant by a pin being "shopped." What all does this imply? I just bought a Getaway that seems to be in very good shape (especially the playfield and backglass) but does seem to need a few things addressed, such as: the ball takes a while to reload after draining, the battery pack has some corrosion and probably needs to be replaced, the left flipper doesn't reset quickly or all the way down when you let go of the flipper button. Do I need to get the pin fully "shopped" to fix all these? What should I expect to pay to have someone fix these issues?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

shopped is a subjective term. Definition depends on who you ask. When talking with a seller who says the pin has been shopped - better ask for more probing questions as to what was done during the "shopping" of the pin.

#3 5 years ago

Here is what I do...

www.habosarcade.com/Pinball%20Shop%20Out.htm‎

Still working on the page so excuse the mess.

#4 5 years ago

Shopped just means the pin was cleaned (ie playfield clean and waxed/parts cleaned/old rings replaced). Does differ on how far you clean depending on the person. Fixing problems is altogether different.....you don't NEED to shop it to fix problems, but I would rather play clean pin and it is fun to work on them IMO.

If you have to take a lot off to repair something, might as well clean it while your there

#5 5 years ago

Okay, so it sounds like I can do the "shopping" myself if that basically means cleaning, waxing, replacing rubber. So back to my question about what I should expect to pay to have those problems fixed that I mentioned. Any idea as to what those might run me?

#6 5 years ago

I think the popular definition implies a cleaning and waxing, with rubbers replaced, but not repairs. Not sure if that entails a full tear-down or not, but at least a partial one to gain access to necessary areas.

Agreed that one must ask the level to which the previous owner went. For example, I've stripped the entire PF on my Shadow, put the metal pieces through the buffer, plan to Treasure Cove the playfield, Wax it, then put everythign back with new rubbers. Then I'll rebuild the flippers, rebuild the slings, etc.

I think that goes a bit beyond the popular definition of a shop.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from FoghornLeghorn:

Okay, so it sounds like I can do the "shopping" myself if that basically means cleaning, waxing, replacing rubber. So back to my question about what I should expect to pay to have those problems fixed that I mentioned. Any idea as to what those might run me?

I would think you would be looking at around a hundred an hour to have a pinball tech to come and fix the issues...plus the parts, if you need something, hopefully they would have it. If you get involved with other local pinsiders you might be able to get the issues fixed for a couple of beers

#8 5 years ago

Yeah, like they said above, such a broad term and comes down to the person doing it, so if you seek that service from an individual ask what specifically will be done. For some its taking everything off the top of the playfield, cleaning it and replacing all rubbers. For some that includes taking everything off of the top AND the bottom and cleaning it and replacing all coil sleeves. For some it may mean rebuilding flippers, for some it wont. I never really trust that term when looking at a pin someone is selling, I ask specific things. Heres a quick list of what to ask when buying a "shopped" pin or having someone "shop" out your pins:

1. Will you be taking everything off of the top? What do you automatically replace? All rubbers, faded posts, do you swap out all bulbs for new ones and will those new bulbs be LEDS? How will you clean the playfield, will it be waxed?

2. Will you be removing everything from under the playfield? Washing the wire harness? Replacing all coil sleeves? rebuilding flippers? washing all of the mechs? Changing all bulbs under playfield, using standard or LEDS?

3. In the back box. Will you be checking all of the fuses for correct values? New Batteries? Will any burnt connectors be replaced? Changing all bulbs in backbox?

To answer your original questions, I don't know if they would fix those things you mentioned. As far as the left flipper not coming to a full rest, consider doing a flipper rebuild, its inexpensive and helps a game play better than ever. Check this link out:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

If that seems too daunting, just take the plunger out that goes into the coil, clean it really well with something like Purple Power or other type cleaner, and put new coil sleeves in it, they cost less than a dollar.

For the batteries, I would look into removing that battery holder and putting a new remote one on it. Do a search on here and you will find lots of options.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from FoghornLeghorn:

the battery pack has some corrosion and probably needs to be replaced

Fix this right away, change the batteries and get a remote battery holder. Battery leakage will do a lot of damage to your boards. Once you get it on the boards, its a cancer that is hard to get rid of. As for cost of having it fixed there is a post on pinside somewhere where some techs posted what they charge per hour. If I recall correctly the average was around $75 for in home service and $45 if you take it to them. But you should learn to do a lot of that stuff yourself. Go to pinwiki.com and read up on how to repair your machine. It will save you a lot of money and isn't very hard if your a little mechanically inclined. And you will have the support of pinside if you get stuck on how to do something.

#10 5 years ago

Want to add that if you plan on buying more pins, the issues you mention are the common ones you will find. You will do best to learn to do it yourself, and you will learn I promise. I was the least mechanically inclined person ever before I got into this hobby. You can rebuild your flippers for 30$ yourself or you can pay someone more than 100$ to do it for you. Like Jmule said, find others near you to show you the ropes or just read as much as possible and DIY.

Always remember its safer to do repairs with a game OFF, and in a lot of cases its necessary.

#11 5 years ago

Okay, it sounds like I need to start making friends with other Nashville pinsiders so I can get some firsthand instruction. I am good at providing lots of free beer! Thanks everyone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 41.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.95
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 64.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.50
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside