(Topic ID: 238352)

What is best way to smoothly cut out home-printed target decals?

By AdjustFailure

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Has anyone found ideal way to cut out home-made target decals so they look professionally cut?

I saw one post suggesting cuticle scissors.

I wanted to try reprinting Firepower target decals, including cutting out the little center hole smoothly, as well as a smooth cut around the outer edge.

Also, I am guessing adhesive decal "paper" is best, but welcome any advice on best method (inkjet or color laser? type / brand of paper?) ?

#2 5 years ago

I'm sure others will have different ideas. But it seems to me if you're doing this for yourself, you can easily cut the outer circles by hand: use a quality pair of scissors and go slowly, turning the paper as you close them. Unless you truly mungle one up, nobody is going to notice they were "hand cut" once they are installed.

For the center hole: I haven't measured, but at a glance I wonder if a handheld single-hole punch would make the same size hole. Should be close.

For how to print: whatever gives you the best quality; some say lazer, others say inkjet... I say don't overthink the print process if it looks good. What actually matters most is an overlay - some kind of mylar film or covering. The ball will just annihilate plain paper and wear it right off. So a DIY approach would be to laminate them before cutting. You could use thick crystal-clear packing tape: adds protection AND a nice gloss finish.

As for the adhesive: printing on plain white labels works OK. Obvioulsy those are "plain paper" hence the need for lamination. If you printed on fancier substrate then you'd have to figure out how to apply adhesive... so keep it simple.

FWIW, I've used the above approach to make custom targets which held up fine for a year before I sold the game; I played it on location months later and they were still holding up fine! (I didn't have to punch rivet holes in them though).

#3 5 years ago

Thank you for your response, very helpful advice.

#4 5 years ago

Firepower are round targets, yeah?

If so, you can get a round punch from your favorite craft store or online retailer. They come in just about every size, hopefully the one you need!

#5 5 years ago

Get a cricket or Silhouette Cameo. One of the best tools I ever purchased for pinball restoration.

#6 5 years ago

The Cricut is awesome. Or you can go DIY old school and find a shotglass or bowl at the same circumference of the Target, and use a Xacto knife around the perimeter of the bowl!

#7 5 years ago

What's the width? possible a hole punch.
I've used different diameter sized copper tubing to punch 3/4 circles, 1/2

#8 5 years ago

Best tool is a hole punch - https://www.amazon.com/EK-tools-Circle-Punch-1-Inch/dp/B00C90WM14/ref=sr_1_5

Can't remember the exact size but I believe the round targets are a 1" circle. I may have used 7/8" or another size. You should be able to pick one up locally at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joanne's etc.

#9 5 years ago

Thank you all for the good suggestions. Yes they are 1 inch targets. Having just peeled off the original shabby and faded stickers and cleaned the targets, it is surprising how nice they look with just the bright red plastic. However I will endeavor get the proper decals back on there ASAP.

#10 5 years ago

I would think a shot glass and an xacto knife would do it, but cuticle scissors could certainly fit the bill too.

#11 5 years ago

Check out this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club/page/7

I use a silhouette cutter, you can even set it to cut around a printed design.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-best-way-to-smoothly-cut-out-re-printed-target-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.