Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A4999189-5085-4FF1-B060-FAE9AE7D47E4 (resized).jpeg
    5080C45E-F5D7-4AAE-B94A-30784ABCC0BD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koops.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I've seen this banded around as if its common knowledge but i've seen huge variations on what people are guessing the cost of "raw materials" that goes into a new machine.

I've seen some saying "retail price is 3 times", others that its only like 20%.

It would be interesting to know how close to the mark that actually is.
    I've always heard "pro's are the best value", for what you physically get in a box are they?

Note: I'm not talking about costs to develop and manufacture a machine as there are tons of other costs such as staff, dev, ordering, paying to have a factory etc. This is just strictly parts.

Example.

Quoted from WillSmuz8999:

The manufacturers wish they only cost $1000 - $1500 to build. That number is so far off. Our BOM at Williams in the 90s was $2000. Labor was $250, and you had all the tooling, and development costs -- Design, Programming, Sound, Art, etc. The games were being sold for low $3000 - $3500 range. Fortunately, in our hay-day, we were making 70K games annually. The margins are not near as profitable as you think. Decent volume, low overhead, and/or cost cutting measures is the difference between losing or making money in pinball.

So thats a BOM of 66% on the low side vs retail price during a time in which they were making tons of machines so margins could afford to be lower.
    Let's take that as the low margin, call it the "williams bom" for lack of a better term.

So ball parks for new Avengers

Retail price - bom
    Stern $6.2k pro (aka ~$4092 williams bom)
    Stern $7.8 premium (aka ~$5148 williams bom)
    Stern $9.2 LE (aka ~$6072 williams bom).
    (MSRP taken from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-game-release-history/page/4#post-5832945).

Not entirely fair as williams didnt have premium's and le's.
    And you'd probably classify a normal williams as atleast a stern premium.

Has anyone done an accurate analysis of what a machine would cost in terms of just parts?
    Even at "retail" (ie. purchasing replacements from macros and build a machine) vs how stern would get parts in bulk.

Various members have quoted other manufactures about the costs of large components (playfields, cabinets, ramps etc) so it should be fairly easy to get an accurate cost ... or is it?

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

You need to account for the cost of staying in business... I don’t think stern is building a giant war chest with all the profits they are taking in...

And your missed the entire point of the thread.

It wasn’t about what it costs to stay in business (entire careers are built around that sort of analysis) rather a simple “how much in parts is in a machine.

The other avenue I looked down was what did it cost a home brew for comparable components. That price was very low in comparison (3-4K aus).

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

the general public would not have a clue
    that bracket you bought from Marco for $20.00, probably cost stern $1.50
    displays that cost you and me $200, they probably pay $20
    buying in bulk by the 1000's saves a lot of money

Exactly. Even if you went and used retail prices it would still have to be magnitudes over what the reality of the machines parts cost them.

If it’s like 4K of retail parts then the actual physical components you pay for are only a small portion of the take home cost.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koops.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-an-accurate-bom-of-a-new-stern?tu=koops and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.