(Topic ID: 244955)

What is a needed service in the pinball industry that's not available.

By Glycerin

70 days ago

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D246EC34-793C-4ABD-90E9-790E6AB67F03 (resized).jpeg
    AFB94892-25EB-4312-AD45-283D17C7334C (resized).jpeg
    6F687D42-B085-4B4C-90D0-FEFFE3D4D2C1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 67 days ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

There is absolutely ZERO probability that I would ever purchase a brand new pin that was assembled by anyone other than the OEM.
    I can't believe this is even an idea.

Since it wasn't mentioned in the post you quoted, Homepin announced this "idea" of a soon to be released DIY pinball kit close to ten years ago on the Aussie forum and it never went any further than that.

#102 67 days ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

There is absolutely ZERO probability that I would ever purchase a brand new pin that was assembled by anyone other than the OEM.
    I can't believe this is even an idea.

I would rather have a game assembled by myself with care, rather than a low level worker just punching the clock and trying to get through the day. Takes all kinds I guess.

#103 67 days ago

How about a pick your own theme pin - you upload the graphics, they are printed on the playfield, cabinet and translite. assembled or dyi.

#104 67 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Are people -really- paying 800+parts for a PF swap?
    I may SERIOUSLY have to reconsider offering my services out to our local groups if that's the case. At that point, it's definitely worth MY time, and if people can be considerate of delivery timeframe....psh. Bring me your game, I'll do the swap in my living room. I think you guys are talking more about like restoration than just a straight up swap at those prices, yeah? You're talking about crazy talk stuff like washing the bloody harness and re-wrapping coils that don't even have toasty wrappers to start with, and making dimple templates. That's not something I'd normally do on my own games.
    A PF swap by my book isn't a full shop job, but lots of that stuff IS easier to do with the PF pulled out and parts off the board, and I naturally do things that make sense like cleaning guide rails, rebuilding pop bumpers, replacing star posts.. I've done it both ways with my games. Crescendo got a full rebuild of damn near everything during the swap... so did Space Shuttle (including resoldering every...bloody....wire. Oops.)....but Jackbot, not so much. PF swap was done in the cabinet and everything was dropped in the cabinet connected to the harness, and put back on in the cabinet working from the bottom up.

Like anything, the work to be done in the playfield swap needs to be detailed so that people know what they are getting. Simple disassemble/reassemble, or make everything like new again, or something in between that range of work. Everyone is different with regard to what they want and the amount of time to do various tasks can add up quick, as can the cost. Also, everything needs to be tested once complete, that takes time, too.

#105 67 days ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Like anything, the work to be done in the playfield swap needs to be detailed so that people know what they are getting. Simple disassemble/reassemble, or make everything like new again, or something in between that range of work. Everyone is different with regard to what they want and the amount of time to do various tasks can add up quick, as can the cost. Also, everything needs to be tested once complete, that takes time, too.

Agreed, and I have no issues with that at all. Most of the people I've shipped games to that I sold long distance actually said that I OVERDID the protection on the cabs. I'm just like....really? It takes me and my wife an hour and a half to prep a game for shipping. Seemed reasonable to me LOL. I don't think I'd even honestly offer a service where I didn't clean stuff like ramps and the metal. My OCD would kill me, and frankly, I don't want my name attached to work *THAT* lazy!

#106 67 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Agreed, and I have no issues with that at all. Most of the people I've shipped games to that I sold long distance actually said that I OVERDID the protection on the cabs. I'm just like....really? It takes me and my wife an hour and a half to prep a game for shipping. Seemed reasonable to me LOL. I don't think I'd even honestly offer a service where I didn't clean stuff like ramps and the metal. My OCD would kill me, and frankly, I don't want my name attached to work *THAT* lazy!

Agree and thumbs up. Whats the point in buying a beautiful new pf then moving dirty or broken parts over? I did a BSD swap for a friend and i didn’t ask if he wanted me to clean the mechs, ramps and subways, and replace coil sleeves etc. just felt it was part of the job. And when is it ever easier to do?

#107 67 days ago
    Quoted from Glycerin:

The hobby of pinball has grown exponentially over the past couple years, and we have a lot of people to thank for bringing services to us that we have not had in the past. But what are some things that are missing in the industry that need to be filled?

PCB repair

#108 67 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I may SERIOUSLY have to reconsider offering my services out to our local groups if that's the case. At that point, it's definitely worth MY time, and if people can be considerate of delivery timeframe....psh. Bring me your game, I'll do the swap in my living room. I think you guys are talking more about like restoration than just a straight up swap at those prices, yeah? You're talking about crazy talk stuff like washing the bloody harness and re-wrapping coils that don't even have toasty wrappers to start with, and making dimple templates. That's not something I'd normally do on my own games.
    A PF swap by my book isn't a full shop job, but lots of that stuff IS easier to do with the PF pulled out and parts off the board, and I naturally do things that make sense like cleaning guide rails, rebuilding pop bumpers, replacing star posts.. I've done it both ways with my games. Crescendo got a full rebuild of damn near everything during the swap... so did Space Shuttle (including resoldering every...bloody....wire. Oops.)....but Jackbot, not so much. PF swap was done in the cabinet and everything was dropped in the cabinet connected to the harness, and put back on in the cabinet working from the bottom up.

I don't get down to wrapping coils, but yes, washing the harness, cleaning and rebuilding all mechs, cleaning or replacing switches, new bodies and skirts for pops, replace broken posts and lane guides, polish metal, tune game after assembly. Lamp sockets are the one thing I don't normally replace. New ones sure look nice and are more reliable, but I've had issues with new sockets too. Depends on the condition of the originals, I guess. It adds a lot of cost to the swap.

There's no way I'd do a straight swap from one playfield to another with no servicing of the mechs, especially for someone else. Even if everything works after the swap, it won't be long before something fails, then something else, and something else. It'll be a neverending battle and you'll have one pissed off customer.

#109 66 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I think you guys are talking more about like restoration than just a straight up swap at those prices, yeah?

Absolutely. It makes no sense to me to do a playfield swap and NOT do everything. I know many do, but things will never get done if you don't do it while swapping the playfield. I've had a few want me to do it without cleaning everything and I refused to do it. I wouldn't put my name on something like that. But that's just me.

#110 66 days ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

neverending battle and you'll have one pissed off customer

'nuff said.

#111 65 days ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Absolutely. It makes no sense to me to do a playfield swap and NOT do everything. I know many do, but things will never get done if you don't do it while swapping the playfield. I've had a few want me to do it without cleaning everything and I refused to do it. I wouldn't put my name on something like that. But that's just me.

Oh brother...
    *rolls eyes*

#112 65 days ago

How about alternate translites for late 70s early 80s games?

I bought a Bally Lost World translite and sandwich it between 2 sheets of glass and it looks great.

Might be cool if they made different versions for the those games too.

#113 64 days ago

A "made to order" printed on plexiglass backglass supplier might be nice. I understand that something like this would not result in a product that's anywhere close to the original screen-printed glasses from back in the day, but in some cases where the glass is completely missing or cooked so badly with serious flaking, a $100-150 repro replacement might do the job well enough for the casual home-owner. And more affordable than a $250-350 repro silk-screened replacement.

#114 63 days ago

How bout properly made plastics , made as original. Never seen CPR plastics but the ones on ebay and marco are garbage. And the option to buy individually ,not just a complete set. Need a supplier of ramp decals too.

#115 63 days ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

How bout properly made plastics , made as original. Never seen CPR plastics but the ones on ebay and marco are garbage. And the option to buy individually ,not just a complete set. Need a supplier of ramp decals too.

How much would you be willing to pay for such a set of plastics?

#116 63 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I'd personally pay a good bit of money for someone to make me a set of plastics for my Bally Safari.

#117 63 days ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Wonder if licensing would still apply to an exact copy?

#118 63 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Rarely do I need a full set. Only two or three that are broken. Usually slingshot kickers

#119 63 days ago

KY Jelly

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 25.50
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.00
    $ 11.95
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 26.50
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside