(Topic ID: 244955)

What is a needed service in the pinball industry that's not available.

By Epistaxis

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D246EC34-793C-4ABD-90E9-790E6AB67F03 (resized).jpeg
    AFB94892-25EB-4312-AD45-283D17C7334C (resized).jpeg
    6F687D42-B085-4B4C-90D0-FEFFE3D4D2C1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

From the recent wave of weird posts. I think we need a dating service for all the single males in the pinball community.

Oh my god. A more certain business failure has never been devised.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Having the option on buying a new game as a 'kit'. You get all the parts and your assemble it yourself.

OMG can you just IMAGINE.....

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Having the option on buying a new game as a 'kit'. You get all the parts and your assemble it yourself.

That would be really cool... and fun !

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Playfield swap services

I've been doing more and more of these. All are local as it costs too much to ship the game.

$1500 plus parts and it will come back looking brand new.

#55 4 years ago

More reproduction of spare parts. I've turned down buying pins because of 1 or 2 broken, non-existing spareparts (like certain plastic ramps) and so on. I won't buy a pin if I know I can't get it back into top shape because of no availability of parts.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

Pinballers dating service. Alot of pinsiders need to get laid.

LOL

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've been doing more and more of these. All are local as it costs too much to ship the game.
    $1500 plus parts and it will come back looking brand new.

good deal. that is about what Mike used to charge.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I would LOVE a kit! I miss Heathkits.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I would rather sell my game to my distributor at a greater discount than to deal with a bunch of tire kickers coming in and out of my home.

Really. I've sold 5 in the past 5 year and 0 have shown up at my house and not purchased. Do others have this same issue?

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Really. I've sold 5 in the past 5 year and 0 have shown up at my house and not purchased. Do others have this same issue?

I was thinking the same thing...I've sold 60~ in the last 10 years and I don't recall anyone ever actually coming to my house and not leaving with the pin. I feel like pricing and an accurate ad takes care of that issue naturally, but maybe I've just been lucky.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

More techs are needed.

Quoted from Budman:

More techs- All eras including EM

Quoted from hawkmoon:

Like having a good Doctor

This will continue to be a need. I have met several collectors that have very little clue how to repair their game; some don't even care to learn.
    I bet distributors spend a fair amount of time with service after the sale. Perhaps they need a service department, like a car dealership?

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Mike (homepin) looked in to this. insurance is the biggest hurdle

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

There is absolutely ZERO probability that I would ever purchase a brand new pin that was assembled by anyone other than the OEM.

I can't believe this is even an idea.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

There is absolutely ZERO probability that I would ever purchase a brand new pin that was assembled by anyone other than the OEM.

LOL. No worries - seller will probably include box of parts left over from the build that he doesn't know where they go.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

There are a lot of people who like to build things and put things together as a hobby. Some people who aren't designers/artists who might not want to design and build a game *completely* from scratch might just enjoy putting a pre-designed game together.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

This has been brought up in the past. Shades of the old Heathkit Pinball days.

Only thing I would add is you do your own tech support too.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : I'm still hoping for a self cleaning playfield.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This has been brought up in the past. Shades of the old Heathkit Pinball days.
    Only thing I would add is you do your own tech support too.

Some of us are more than qualified to assembly a game from parts and troubleshoot. I like the kit idea because I can get the bare playfield clear coated before assembly. The quality control would be in my hands and not some line worker at Stern.

#68 4 years ago

Insurance for what ?

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Some of us are more than qualified to assembly a game from parts and troubleshoot. I like the kit idea because I can get the bare playfield clear coated before assembly.

I agree.

Unfortunately what I deal with daily in tech support. The mere thought of it gives me the willies. I believe the qualified are too few in numbers.

Disclaimer : I hope the person doing this doesn't mix up the "y" and "e" in the instructions.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Insurance for what ?

When someone builds their game. Plugs it in. And burns their house down. Their home owners insurance will be looking to the manufacturer of this kit to get their money back after they build a new house.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Insurance for what ?

a pinball machine deals with Mains power, not a battery pack

#72 4 years ago

a pinball machine deals with Mains power, not a battery pack

So why would that require an insurance ? One of my side hobby is to build high end audio equipment from kits, some of them are pretty big power amplifers and I don't think they come with any kind of insurance.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

So why would that require an insurance ? One of my side hobby is to build high end audio equipment from kits, some of them are pretty big power amplifers and I don't think they come with any kind of insurance.

They, the kits don't come with insurance.

The manufacturer carries it in case someone builds their kit and bad things happen and the manufacturer gets sued into the ground.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They, the kits don't come with insurance.
    The manufacturer carries it in case someone builds their kit and bad things happen and the manufacturer gets sued into the ground.

Sorry let me rephrase. Given the (very) cheap price of these hifi kits and since I doubt they sell more than pinballs, I dont see how they would fit an insurance cost in it.

I mean did Ikea ever got sued for a shelf that would collapse and break someone leg ?

Side note : I am new to the US so the joyful concept of American liability is still very hard to get.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Any particular generation/manufacturer of machine?

Something more along the lines of the Bally/Stern tester in a box. I know many guys have machines on a board or small one off jigs but you would think the plans for those testers would become available for something similar to be built.

#76 4 years ago

For those who are new-ish to the hobby like me, but are quickly learning and want to keep learning, I would love to see something like video chat consultations with experienced techs. Most things I've been able to solve with the help of people on Pinside, which has been great and a tremendous learning experience. But, sometimes you want to cut to the chase, show someone exactly what is going on live and have them talk you through things to try without trying to interpret what they are typing. If there were highly experienced techs who would be willing to Skype for 30-60 minutes for a consultation fee, it might be a nice option. And, they could teach as you went along. The best way of learning is sometimes one-on-one hands on instruction.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

...I mean did Ikea ever got sued for a shelf that would collapse and break someone leg ?

Since you asked...
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/business/ikea-settlement-dresser-tip-over.html

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are a lot of people who like to build things and put things together as a hobby. Some people who aren't designers/artists who might not want to design and build a game *completely* from scratch might just enjoy putting a pre-designed game together.

This reminds me of the fake holiday gift boxes I used years ago. I thought they were hilarious.

6F687D42-B085-4B4C-90D0-FEFFE3D4D2C1 (resized).jpeg6F687D42-B085-4B4C-90D0-FEFFE3D4D2C1 (resized).jpegAFB94892-25EB-4312-AD45-283D17C7334C (resized).jpegAFB94892-25EB-4312-AD45-283D17C7334C (resized).jpegD246EC34-793C-4ABD-90E9-790E6AB67F03 (resized).jpegD246EC34-793C-4ABD-90E9-790E6AB67F03 (resized).jpeg
    #79 4 years ago

What about tool rental?

I’d rather pay $50 to rent a WPC warning silkscreen than to buy one and use it once for $250.

I imagine there are other specialty tools or boards people would be willing to rent or test drive before plunking down big $ for something they’d rarely use or might not need.

#80 4 years ago

Insurance on kits? How did Heath/Heathkit stay in b'ness so long? I guess folks were less litigious back then? So the necessary insurance was more reasonable? I dunno. I only know I built 3 of their TV's plus many other kits, and it was great. Never burned the house down either.

Honestly tho, Heathkits were not cheap. With all the instructions, packaging, idiot-proofing, etc., it cost a lot to produce a kit. Still, enjoyed doing it.

#81 4 years ago

As I said, the concept of liability in America is very new to me, and very different to how it works in France, so the insurance on a pinball kit (or a shelf) definitely did not hit my mind.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Bonus points to repeat customers towards future purchases (like buy 10 burritos get one free)

There WERE vendors that used to do this until Stern their "we'll fuck the free market with mandatory pricing" bullshit.

Quoted from Frax:

Hell, I can do that. Problem is, and this has been discussed before....everyone WANTS to pay ~300 bucks for this, but the reality is for most swaps, to do it right, that's like paying 20 bucks an hour, and not including any new parts or any 'problem' issues, like riveted posts/ramps that have to be re-riveted etc. If I want to get paid 20 bucks an hour...I'll just go to work. Nobody wants to pay technician type pay for this work, and if you want it done right...well....

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yeah, I have had some people ask for playfield swaps for $500 and act like they are doing me a favor...

Bwhahahahahaha. When I did AFM, which is probably one of the easiest swaps there is, that took me a good 50 hours to get from disassembling the original PF to installing the new PF with everything 100% dialed in, and that was with nearly zero problems/issues/uh-ohs/while-I'm-in-there things coming up. That was a straight up swap with replacing minimal components and not doing any ultra sonic or tumbling work or new rivets or anything.

If someone can write checks for their $10K NIB games, get ready to pay up, or learn how to do it yourself. Someone offers me $500 to do a PF swap and acts like they're overpaying while I see every Stern, JJP, AP, Spooky game since 2016 in their line-up...I'd remind them that their PF ain't going to fix itself with them being cheap....

Quoted from dothedoo:

I've quoted people $600 + parts. No takers yet. Anymore, I'm not sure I'd even do it for that.

HFS, $600 + parts is such a bargain. Some people in this community are SERIOUSLY some cheap-ass motherfuckers.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

There WERE vendors that used to do this until Stern their "we'll fuck the free market with mandatory pricing" bullshit.

Bwhahahahahaha. When I did AFM, which is probably one of the easiest swaps there is, that took me a good 50 hours to get from disassembling the original PF to installing the new PF with everything 100% dialed in, and that was with nearly zero problems/issues/uh-ohs/while-I'm-in-there things coming up. That was a straight up swap with replacing minimal components and not doing any ultra sonic or tumbling work or new rivets or anything.
    If someone can write checks for their $10K NIB games, get ready to pay up, or learn how to do it yourself. Someone offers me $500 to do a PF swap and acts like they're overpaying while I see every Stern, JJP, AP, Spooky game since 2016 in their line-up...I'd remind them that their PF ain't going to fix itself with them being cheap....

HFS, $600 + parts is such a bargain. Some people in this community are SERIOUSLY some cheap-ass motherfuckers.

Yeah, 1000 min is what I would do. Just too much work that takes times and super patience. I enjoy the work but not sure I would do it for someone else for less than that.

#84 4 years ago

Paint formulas for pinball cabinets.

#85 4 years ago

I agree with better/EASIER CB testing equip for novice techs. Especially audio boards. It took me 90 days to repair a system 11 cpu, with a test rom. It wasnt even able to find my issue. Finally got it working and now the audio board is not working. (Speech from mpu works but no audio board sounds) New ribbon cable, Shotgunning socketed IC chips and ROMs did not get the sound board to work. Ordered RAM and socket for audio board, fingers crossed thats the issue. So as I said, it would be nice to have better CB testing tools.

#86 4 years ago

A legal service that would expose all the false patents, rights, and phony C&D letters. I have a strong feeling, a lot of these people really don't have the rights, or their rights are expired, and nobody is challenging them. Imagine all the parts that would be available to us if this would happen.

I think the ability to buy a game in kit form would be amazing, as long as it cut the cost of the game considerably.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I should have been more clear....I have only had a couple of people in my home to purchase and they were terrific, so batting 1000. Just saying a transaction with a known entity ( trusted distributor) every time, is worth something.

#88 4 years ago

I think a service where one arrives at a show with their games, backs up to the door, and someone unloads the games, checks them in, unpacks, and sets them up for you would be neat. At the end of the show, they pack them up, you back up to the door again, and they load the game for you. Moving games around can be a real pia.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I think a service where one arrives at a show with their games, backs up to the door, and someone unloads the games, checks them in, unpacks, and sets them up for you would be neat. At the end of the show, they pack them up, you back up to the door again, and they load the game for you. Moving games around can be a real pia.

I've seen this attempted before for a first year show, though not followed up on. It's a great idea though... even if the owner is responsible for packaging and unpackaging of their games.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve seen it mentioned a couple times that a replacement wire harness for older games is virtually impossible to find.

Third Coast Pinball is starting to do some of the 80's Bally's

#91 4 years ago

someone to produce replacement Stern node boards as in the future there will be a good market for these as doubt Stern will keep a stock of these

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

someone to produce replacement Stern node boards as in the future there will be a good market for these as doubt Stern will keep a stock of these

There’s a company not to far from here that will reverse engineer boards. The current problem is copyright by stern, but if the boards are no longer produced or supported by stern, then I think it’s open game to rework them. You could send a board to China to have this done, but I’d be concerned about that, vs a local Canadian company

If I ever need a node board, I’ll be looking into getting it done.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

A pinball assembly machine! I dump a tree, a bucket of assorted screws, and a bunch of plastic laying around the house, and a paint sampler set with all the colors, into the hopper bucket of the machine. I then plug in my drawing of how I want the game to look, along with a spec sheet containing statements like "Amazing Art", and "Great flow that includes both stop and go". Finally I flip the switch, and it grinds for 10 minutes, spitting out a new machine designed by genetic algorithm. I play it for 20 minutes to see how fun it is, and if it scores less than the top 10 on Pinside, it goes back into the hopper for the genetic algorithm to evolve into the next game. I figure within 20 generations I'll own the top 30 slots on the top 10 list (because there need to be room for at least 30 games in the top 10). Finally, the machine will then evolve an arm and grab me, stuffing me into the hopper to use as raw material for the machine that will destroy the known universe as soon as it solves the last digit for Pi. And I'm willing to pay up to 10 dollars for this machine. Get building.

THAT is freakin’ amazing.

#94 4 years ago

Not a service but I've always thought a pinball housing community would be cool. Kind of like a golf course community but with just the club house that each neighbor would set up and maintain a few machines that everyone could enjoy. Also a series of sidewalks connecting the homes where people could move their machines for sale, trade or temporary loans to each home collection.

Not likely to happen but fun to consider.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Not a service but I've always thought a pinball housing community would be cool. Kind of like a golf course community but with just the club house that each neighbor would set up and maintain a few machines that everyone could enjoy. Also a series of sidewalks connecting the homes where people could move their machines for sale, trade or temporary loans to each home collection.

There are a few pinball co-ops/clubs throughout the northeast with a central location for people to bring and setup games.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

A walk-in basement in every home!

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I came across one of these co-ops when I was searching for a place to play while on vacation. When I emailed them, they asked me to fill out a questionnaire (How long have you been in the hobby? What games do you own? What tournaments have you competed in? etc.). After that, I was granted a phone interview (which went pretty well) but we couldn't schedule a time for an in-person vetting while I was in town. It was an amusing experience.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Third Coast Pinball is starting to do some of the 80's Bally's

https://www.thirdcoastpinballandgraphics.com/store/c5/Pinball_Products.html

#99 4 years ago

Are people -really- paying 800+parts for a PF swap?

I may SERIOUSLY have to reconsider offering my services out to our local groups if that's the case. At that point, it's definitely worth MY time, and if people can be considerate of delivery timeframe....psh. Bring me your game, I'll do the swap in my living room. I think you guys are talking more about like restoration than just a straight up swap at those prices, yeah? You're talking about crazy talk stuff like washing the bloody harness and re-wrapping coils that don't even have toasty wrappers to start with, and making dimple templates. That's not something I'd normally do on my own games.

A PF swap by my book isn't a full shop job, but lots of that stuff IS easier to do with the PF pulled out and parts off the board, and I naturally do things that make sense like cleaning guide rails, rebuilding pop bumpers, replacing star posts.. I've done it both ways with my games. Crescendo got a full rebuild of damn near everything during the swap... so did Space Shuttle (including resoldering every...bloody....wire. Oops.)....but Jackbot, not so much. PF swap was done in the cabinet and everything was dropped in the cabinet connected to the harness, and put back on in the cabinet working from the bottom up.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Are people -really- paying 800+parts for a PF swap?
    I may SERIOUSLY have to reconsider offering my services out to our local groups if that's the case. At that point, it's definitely worth MY time, and if people can be considerate of delivery timeframe....psh. Bring me your game, I'll do the swap in my living room. I think you guys are talking more about like restoration than just a straight up swap at those prices, yeah? You're talking about crazy talk stuff like washing the bloody harness and re-wrapping coils that don't even have toasty wrappers to start with, and making dimple templates. That's not something I'd normally do on my own games.
    A PF swap by my book isn't a full shop job, but lots of that stuff IS easier to do with the PF pulled out and parts off the board, and I naturally do things that make sense like cleaning guide rails, rebuilding pop bumpers, replacing star posts.. I've done it both ways with my games. Crescendo got a full rebuild of damn near everything during the swap... so did Space Shuttle (including resoldering every...bloody....wire. Oops.)....but Jackbot, not so much. PF swap was done in the cabinet and everything was dropped in the cabinet connected to the harness, and put back on in the cabinet working from the bottom up.

My number of 1000 is what it would take for me to do someone else's playfield. My time is too valuable for my own projects.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-a-needed-service-in-the-pinball-industry-that-s-not-available/page/2?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.