Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Neal_W
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I saw the expression in some thread and I'm wondering what it means when installing ground braid. In this case, it was about avoiding ground loop around the door hardware.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

I suppose it depends on context. Could be a physical loop hanging down somewhere, or could be an electrical "loop" of wire tying board grounds together with cabinet grounds.
-shrug-

#3 7 years ago

A loop is when you create multiple paths to ground for the same connector. The loop can pick up unwanted current via induction.

If your coin door is already grounded, don't connect ground braid to it. DO make sure it's properly grounded.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If your coin door is already grounded, don't connect ground braid to it.

As my ground will connect with one of the bolt from the door frame, I guess I should avoid connect the ground braid to it as well (the one to the door directly with the tubing around)

#5 7 years ago

The ground braid is a safety ground, and usually not a part of a circuit ground. A pinball machine can operate fine without the ground braid, it's purpose is to make sure that you don't become a part of the ground path for high voltage in the event of a short circuit.

A ground loop is when there are multiple paths to ground and they are not all at the same potential. Ground loops can be anywhere in the system, not just the same connector Problems such as noise in audio systems are caused by ground loops, as noise immunity in amplifier inputs is compromised. Star grounding is one method to combat ground loops. Star grounding is connecting all circuit grounds to the same point, so that they are all at the same electrical potential.

#6 7 years ago

Every metal part that the player could possibly have contact with at some point, needs to be connected to the ground braid. Legs, rails, lockdown, speaker grills.....

That way, those metal parts are a better path to ground than you are.

#7 7 years ago

Ground loops don't involve induction.

#8 7 years ago

[Safety definition] Maybe in the pinball community there is a tongue and cheek definition of a ground loop referring to the ground braid that loops everywhere in the cabinet to ground all metal parts for safety.

[Noise definition] In the electronics trade, we refer to a ground loop as a multi point ground in interconnected systems that generates unwanted AC noise on audio, video, and other sensitive circuits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-a-ground-loop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.