Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by QuietEarp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

22558ED3-53C1-4FB6-BD21-B68CCC424DEB (resized).jpeg
    image103 (resized).jpg
    241B89D8-4A95-44C8-8892-5CA01E18CED0 (resized).jpeg
    20969236-33B3-4585-A0D2-64065DD5EF11 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

What is a flipper?

People are buying and selling pinball machines all of the time. Sometimes for a profit. Sometimes for a loss.

1) Is a flipper someone who drags a pin home, does nothing to it, and puts it up for sale the next day?

Maybe he is guilty of trying to make a quick buck?

What if he just has 2nd thoughts and want to sell it for what he paid for it?

What about if he really has 2nd thoughts and he is going to take a loss to move it on?

2) What about if he drags it home, leaves it folded up, and then while still not doing anything to the pin, he puts it up for sale 6 months or a year later?

Does the 6 months time shift make him no longer a flipper? Now, instead of a quick buck it is a slower buck. Does that make it OK?

3) What about if he drags it home on day 1 and wipes down the play field and puts new rubbers on? Does 30 minutes of elbow grease and $15.00 worth of rubbers mean he is not a flipper?

4) Does he not get any credit for locating the pin, either by actively working a deal, or just by good luck falling into a sweet deal?

If he lumbers the pin up from the basement or drags it down from the attic, does he not get credit for that labor?

What is acceptable in your mind?

By your definition, what is a flipper?

Why do so many get PO'ed because someone made a sweet deal on a pin? If he decides to keep it then he is called a lucky SOB. But if he decides to sell he now becomes a dirty, greedy bastard?

Are you jealous because the sweet deal did not come your way?

What is a flipper?

What say you?

#2 5 years ago

Someone buys a game with no intention of keeping it, marks it up, sells it.

I have zero issue with someone doing this.

#3 5 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #4 5 years ago

A "proper" flipper would buy a high speed for $800 wipe down the playfield and put it on EBay for $2500. The proper flipper will also use false pretenses to obtain pins, and that may be the ultimate sign of a "proper" flipper.

#5 5 years ago

Sometimes a flipper won’t even put legs on a game or setup the pin. It seems to sell better sitting on the side of the road in a neighborhood. Use the term “imamaculate” for better results. Mention the amount of plays in the last 12 years, and you’re good to make a profit
    20969236-33B3-4585-A0D2-64065DD5EF11 (resized).jpeg20969236-33B3-4585-A0D2-64065DD5EF11 (resized).jpeg

#6 5 years ago

I had a guy come and look at a pin I had on craigslist for sale at a very fair price. He claimed he was new-ish to pins and wanted It for him and his kids to have fun with. He slowly described how it was a little out of his range but always wanted this pin. So I lower my price (I’m a sucker for getting kids to play pinball) and he takes it. A week later it is on Craigslist for $1000 more than I sold it for. Found out that this was how he works from a few other pinball freinds. They fell for the same shit. That is what a “flipper” is.

A “flipper” will tell a little old lady that her AFM is not worth her $100 dollar asking price- only give her $50.

#7 5 years ago

No , um, this wasn't a taxi it is just yellow primer.

Flippers suck, I just buy the machines and part em out.

#8 5 years ago

Flippers constantly clog up CL with want to buy ads, say they'll pay top dollar, then claim the pin has little value and talk you down.

To answer your questions:
    1) A flipper will never take a loss on a machine unless they get stuck with something they really overestimated the value of.
    2) Still a flipper, just hides it better.
    3) Still a flipper, because most likely he will add the cost of the services he performed.....at 3x or 4x what a real tech would charge.
    4) Whether or not he gets credit depends on who you talk to. These guys sit around all day scouring online ads to find deals and get there before legitimate buyers can. Ten minutes can make all the difference between getting a game you want for, say, $2500 vs. $1500. On the flip side (pun intended), I've bought a couple games from a local flipper. I'll periodically check with him to see what he has. Sometimes I get games I want without having to be Johnny-on-the-spot.

#9 5 years ago

A really good flipper will only have the game in his garage for 1 hour, maybe overnight. Selling it for a profit. Of course he/she would do the same to profit from their own mother.

2) He has to sell it quickly, having it folded up for 6 months with out advertising it, is not the correct method of flipping pins.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

A really good flipper will only have the game in his garage for 1 hour, maybe overnight. Selling it for a profit. Of course he/she would do the same to profit from their own mother.
    2) He has to sell it quickly, having it folded up for 6 months with out advertising it, is not the correct method of flipping pins.

Ok. If I understand you correctly, if he does not turn the pin immediately and sits on it for some time then he is not a flipper? Even if he just brings it home and does nothing to it and then sells it some time later he does not qualify as a flipper? Is this what you are saying? That time is the only difference? A 24 hour turn makes a flipper and couple of months does not?

#11 5 years ago
    241B89D8-4A95-44C8-8892-5CA01E18CED0 (resized).jpeg241B89D8-4A95-44C8-8892-5CA01E18CED0 (resized).jpeg
    #12 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Flippers constantly clog up CL with want to buy ads, say they'll pay top dollar, then claim the pin has little value and talk you down.
    To answer your questions:
    1) A flipper will never take a loss on a machine unless they get stuck with something they really overestimated the value of.
    2) Still a flipper, just hides it better.
    3) Still a flipper, because most likely he will add the cost of the services he performed.....at 3x or 4x what a real tech would charge.
    4) Whether or not he gets credit depends on who you talk to. These guys sit around all day scouring online ads to find deals and get there before legitimate buyers can. Ten minutes can make all the difference between getting a game you want for, say, $2500 vs. $1500. On the flip side (pun intended), I've bought a couple games from a local flipper. I'll periodically check with him to see what he has. Sometimes I get games I want without having to be Johnny-on-the-spot.

I see those CL ads all the time. I have a pin up for sale now and have had the "please pity me. I want one for my kid and did not think they were so expensive".

Where you say" legitimate buyers" I read that as "hobby buyers" such as myself.

What about if the guy who is scouring the ads and who jumping for the good deals is a pinball retailer with a shop and he is paying rent for the footage to operate from? Does that change things?

What you are describing sounds like a used car dealer. We used go to dealer auctions, hopefully buy cheap enough to make a profit. Sometimes we would make a good buy and not have to do anything at all to car. Other times we would get a car with problems that cost a fortune to fix. The big difference I see with my used car dealer analogy and a pin flipper is that the general public was not chasing cars that way we all are chasing pins.

The other big difference, at least i my state is that Joe Public can only sell 6 cars a year out of his yard. After 6 cars he has to have a dealer's license. I am guessing there is no such restriction in the pinball world.

#13 5 years ago

That really added a lot to the conversation. Cudos.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Ok. If I understand you correctly, if he does not turn the pin immediately and sits on it for some time then he is not a flipper? Even if he just brings it home and does nothing to it and then sells it some time later he does not qualify as a flipper? Is this what you are saying? That time is the only difference? A 24 hour turn makes a flipper and couple of months does not?

No. It just makes them a slow flipper, which is uncharacteristic of flippers.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The shorter time frames make it easier to identify as a flipper. When someone buys up games, sits on them for months, and resells them at a markup with little or nothing done to them - well, we have other words for that. This is someone who doesn't care about the hobby and just makes it worse for everyone else. The prices are driven up, it takes genuine hobbyists a long time to find games they want, and the games themselves suffer because they don't get cared for and brought up to better condition, much less restored. A flipper simply cares more about the money than the games, and is likely flipping just about anything else they can buy low and sell high later.

#16 5 years ago

Flipping is fine if you pay the seller his asking price.If it's too high move on.

#17 5 years ago

God Bless America and Capitalism.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What you are describing sounds like a used car dealer. We used go to dealer auctions, hopefully buy cheap enough to make a profit. Sometimes we would make a good buy and not have to do anything at all to car. Other times we would get a car with problems that cost a fortune to fix. The big difference I see with my used car dealer analogy and a pin flipper is that the general public was not chasing cars that way we all are chasing pins.

There are flippers that do this for a living. They buy and sell anything of value, not just pins. The local flipper I was referring to is one such person.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

In general, a flipper will buy something then sell it quickly for a profit. Cars, pins, even homes. 'Quickly' is the key word. Flipping is something they do everyday as an income source. A hobbyist might still buy and re-sell, but usually not flipping games quickly.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Either he (a) overpriced it and can't sell it, or (b) plans on fixing it for more money, which of course he has no idea how, so it just sits there until he finally gives up.

#21 5 years ago

Great topic.

One who buys any item and resells it for profit with little to no value add. In Pinball replacing the rubbers and adding LEDs is NOT value add - IMO.
    It Could be a flip for $50, $500 could be $5000, depends on the item.
    There are flippers in everything, check out HGTV, all they show are house flippers... American Pickers, Pawn Stars... anyone who has surplus capital to spend and does not get emotional about sales of the "unit". It's just that, an item to them. Car dealers move numbers of units, not cars. Real estate agents sell X units...
    Are there those who intentionally deceive to obtain a low ball cost to just immediately re-sell to make 25 - 50%, sure, but I think it is usually about volume.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Someone buys a game with no intention of keeping it, marks it up, sells it.
    I have zero issue with someone doing this.

I noticed nobody feels bad about getting a good deal on a pin or selling a pin for top dollar. Many do seem bothered when others do the same, though. It's fine when it's a business but somehow it's the worst if an individual. I just hate when people are dishonest about it or misrepresent things. If they are selling, their pile of trash is a treasure but if buying your treasure is a pile of trash. In the end, you just have to be responsible for your own buying and selling.

#23 5 years ago

I am self defined "flipper". I typically buy with the intent to resell. I have never bought a working machine and am quite adept at fixing them, rarely selling a project. Love me or hate me, it is the part of the hobby that I love.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

In general, a flipper will buy something then sell it quickly for a profit. Cars, pins, even homes. 'Quickly' is the key word. Flipping is something they do everyday as an income source. A hobbyist might still buy and re-sell, but usually not flipping games quickly.

OK. Define "quickly", please. Is quickly one day? Or one week?

"Flipping is something they do everyday as an income source." That sounds like someone who is making a living buying and selling.

Tell you what, when you are trying to sell a car (and in the old days you had to pay for newspaper ad) and no one calls, you might not the price a "flipper" offers you, but no retail buyer has come around and you are still sitting on that piece of shit, you are glad to have the flipper at your door step. You could tell him to go to hell but but when he starts flashing the cash you will take the deal.

#25 5 years ago

Technically, most everyone is a flipper since we sell most pins at some point.

I guess, however, I would consider someone an actual "pin flipper" if they bought a pin with the explicit intention of selling it as quickly as possible at the greatest profit. Some find a great deal, do nothing but re-list it, and make money. Some extensively rebuild them from top to bottom.
    Obviously, some people frown on those that buy, do nothing to it, and sell for more.

The truth is, we live in a capitalistic, free market society, and knowledge is power. It isn't "noble" work, but flipping requires knowledge, skill, grunt work, and marketing...all of which are free to anyone willing to apply themselves.
    We are all just trying to earn a buck. If soneobe puts forth the effort to flip, I see no problem with it.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

and you are still sitting on that piece of shit

I'm sure there are car collectors somewhere that would love to take that piece of shit, restore it or at least make it better - possibly even to cherish it for a lifetime. Maybe someone was looking for that specific vehicle for a long time. Unfortunately, the flipper bought it now it's priced out of range to obtain.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'm sure there are car collectors somewhere that would love to take that piece of shit, restore it or at least make it better - possibly even to cherish it for a lifetime. Maybe someone was looking for that specific vehicle for a long time. Unfortunately, the flipper bought it now it's priced out of range to obtain.

This literally happens to everything eventually. It has ravaged the housing market, cars, collectibles, etc.

It is ingrained in our society. Everyone praises it until it costs them money.

#28 5 years ago

If you buy a new/used game with the SOLE PURPOSE of reselling it for a profit, you are a flipper. Pretty simple.

If you buy a used game with the sole purpose of reselling it for a profit after you refurbish/shop it because you enjoy the refurbishing process, you're probably not a flipper, especially if you get deep into the game.

If you buy a game because you plan to play it for awhile and then manage to sell it for more than you're into it, even if it's reasonably quickly, you're probably not a flipper, although you may look like one to others.

If you lie and cheat to get deals on games whether you intend to flip them or not, you're probably just an asshole.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Years ago, I bought a 1959 Corvette for $900.00. I drove it and enjoyed it. Eventually, I had to rebuild the engine. Turned out the block was cracked so I built up a 350 C.I. I couple of years later I need to sell the car. I was going to lose money not matter what I did. If you overprice it you will keep eating newspaper ads.

The hardest car in the world to sell was a Vette. Everybody wanted one. Nobody had any money. I lost count of how many called and then came by to get their eyes full and waste my time. I finally made a trade deal to move it out. It was not a great trade. I moved on with life. That was in 1973.

Four years later, I run into some guy who has a '58 Vette for sale. It runs and drives but it is a basket case. He wants $4000.00. I thought he was nuts. And then I started seeing the prices continue to go up on the old Vettes. $6K, $7K. Today, and old Vette is big bucks.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

If you buy a new/used game with the SOLE PURPOSE of reselling it for a profit, you are a flipper. Pretty simple.

But why the venom and the pen/keyboards dripping with acid?

#31 5 years ago

You can be a flipper whose motivation is to simply own a lot of games over the years. I know people who buy a game and sell it a few weeks later and move on. Collection of 10 games at a time, but owned well over a hundred over the last few years. In order to do this, it is often needed to sell at a small loss otherwise the game will be up for sale for months. Also, as a player, it is often needed to fix, repair, upgrade and install LEDs.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

With used deals, I would assume it's always because someone feels like they would have given that game a better home or treatment if they could have gotten it for the original price. I know I've lost nice deals on games I would have LOVED to have to people who didn't even really care about the game but knew it was worth more to someone else. Feels bad, but they were quicker on the wallet draw than I was so it is how it is.

With the NEW stuff, it's because flipping creates a false illusion of demand and causes prices to rise. When the illusion ends and the bubble pops, everyone loses their ass. I used to flip comics and cards back in the 90s. It was fun, but I'll be honest, all too quickly I quit reading the comics and just buying the ones I could resell (anyone need a Superman #75?) because I was in it for the money. Eventually that market collapsed and took years to recover, and comics have never really been the same.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

$6K, $7K. Today, and old Vette is big bucks.

Ok, so using this statement as an example. An auto hobbyist wants to find one of these. It's been on his wishlist for awhile. He's got $7K to spend and just needs to find one of these rare big buck old Vettes. One pops up for sale $6500 close by, but seconds later its no longer for sale, it's gone. The hobbyist is kind of bummed on the missed opportunity, perhaps this has even happened more than once. Then a couple of weeks go by, the same car pops up for sale, nothing is different about it except now the new seller wants $8500. Well, that just plain sucks. Someone wanted just to make money on it and now he can't afford it.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, if you don't understand by now you probably never will.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

You can be a flipper whose motivation is to simply own a lot of games over the years. I know people who buy a game and sell it a few weeks later and move on. Collection of 10 games at a time, but owned well over a hundred over the last few years. In order to do this, it is often needed to sell at a small loss otherwise the game will be up for sale for months. Also, as a player, it is often needed to fix, repair, upgrade and install LEDs.

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. I wouldn't consider that a flipper in the traditional sense. That's just someone with pinball ADD.

The traditional flipper is a pure speculator, buying for the sole purpose of turning a profit. Speculation in any realm is generally bad. It causes inflation and bubbles. It takes products into a pricing realm where they are no longer worth what people are paying, which is exactly what has happened to our hobby over the last 5 years. When people want $2500 for the worst ever DMD pins, and $5000 for 3rd tier pins broke newbs used to start their collections with it's not a good thing.

#35 5 years ago

And flippers almost never price fairly. They always price gouge, testing the highest limits of what someone who really wants one bad, or someone who is really uninformed, might pay. Then other greedy sellers, or uninformed sellers, take notice of the crazy asking price and attempt to do the same. It's all bad.

#36 5 years ago

Flippers only bum me out because they buy the project games that I want to buy and fix, but they don't really fix them and then charge an absurd amount. Hoarders suck for a similar reason. They just sit on their games and put it in an ever growing to-do pile. I genuinely enjoy fixing up games and it's harder and harder to find project games for reasonable prices. I don't even charge a lot for my repair services or for the games I sell (but I will say flippers do drag up the value of games. A decent working EM selling for $1,000 is now a solid deal in today's market)

I don't care about people flipping NIB or barely played games. They're preying on gullible people who fall for the hype train. If you're patient just about any newer game will come up for a reasonable price. People take care of these things like babies now and Stern alone is cranking out several thousand new machines a year.

#37 5 years ago

I don't care if people flip games. It is still a free country (kind of..)

But it's the people who bitch about flippers and then turn around and do the same thing that pisses me off.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Speculation in any realm is generally bad. It causes inflation and bubbles. It takes products into a pricing realm where they are no longer worth what people are paying, which is exactly what has happened to our hobby over the last 5 years. When people want $2500 for the worst ever DMD pins, and $5000 for 3rd tier pins broke newbs used to start their collections with it's not a good thing.

You offer some valid points. Sort of like The Dutch Tulip bulb mania a couple of hundred years back. Or like Avon bottles in the 70s. Or the Bradford Exchange "collector" plates. Barbie Dolls. Beanie Babies. It is a long list. Usually with a manufacturer leading the pack and doing the hype.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That really added a lot to the conversation. Cudos.

Someone has to fill in for Odin while he’s gone

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Someone has to fill in for Odin while he’s gone

OK. I can go with that. But Odin had pizazz. He had that panache. He usually offered some pithy saying to go along with the pic. Sometimes he got me laughing so hard I about split a gut

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. I can go with that. But Odin had pizazz. He had that panache. He usually offered some pithy saying to go along with the pic. Sometimes he got me laughing so hard I about split a gut

True...I can’t live up to his comedy gold. I realize I am not as funny as I think I am...lol.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Hoarders suck for a similar reason. They just sit on their games and put it in an ever growing to-do pile.

I kind of fit this description.

I have amassed my collection faster than I can fully service or restore them. BUT.....at least 25 of my games are keepers. These are games that I loved in the 80s/90s or played for the first time at shows and fell in love with. I intentionally targeted them to be in my collection permanently, so that and the fact that I can only have 10 machines on legs at any given time makes their 'projects in storage' status irrelevant.

As far as the non-keepers are concerned....I'll at least fix and shop them and enjoy them for a while before selling. So even with games I have no intention of keeping there's a 'selection criteria'. I keep my storage limitations in mind when I see games for sale and tend to only buy games that I find fun. Looking back, it's surprising how many games I've turned away.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:By your definition, what is a flipper?

Ok I couldn't resist.

A flipper is a device in pinball made up of several parts, the shaft, the pawl, the bat, a rubber ring and last but not least a coil. This coil aka solonoid is a device which converts electrical energy into mechanical energy via magnetic flux. Magnetic flux is generated when electricity is passed through multiple windings of copper wire wound around a cylinder. By using what's called the left hand rule, when one's hand is wrapped around the conductor, the direction the thumb points is the direction of electricity flow, this flow will cause the coil plunger to move. When properly configured and adjusted the flipper coils plunger retracts into the coil and thus allows the flipper to rotate in a bushing as intended, and thus it flips. We then apply Newton's Third law...

Some folks call them flappers, others paddles, or my fav, that thingie that 'flips' the ball...

now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

image103 (resized).jpgimage103 (resized).jpg
    #44 5 years ago

A flipper adds no value to the game and just resells it solely for profit; a few hours or days after acquiring the game for a pittance.

The thing is that there are other people who usually see the original ad who are interested in the game and wouldn't just flip it for profit. That's what ticks people off. People who would want to add it to their collection to enjoy and/or fix it up get beaten out by a flipper just by answering the ad first. The flipper adds no value whatsoever, and there's a line of people who would buy it regardless of whether or not the flipper saw it first. A flipper isn't typically bringing a hidden item into the public marketplace. They just grab it from the public marketplace and relist it in the same public marketplace.

People who buy games, fix them, and then resell I have no problem with. They add value to the game, and it's perfectly valid for them to charge for their time and effort in shopping, refurbishing, and/or restoring the game to a plug & play ready state.

Some people buy games to enjoy, then later sell and get something else. That's fine too. They're buying/selling/trading for their personal enjoyment and participating in the hobby.

It's also not uncommon for collectors to sell off games to make room for other stuff. I've been guilty of this. I get a good deal on something, but later lose interest and find some new bauble to chase after and acquire. Most of the time, I basically let those go at a break-even price.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I was absolutely expecting a picture of a flipper... AND WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED.

#46 5 years ago

So if a "flipper" is someone that turns around and sells the game for a quick profit after only a few days then a "shark" must be someone that sells a game before he has actually bought it from someone else?

John

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I noticed nobody feels bad about getting a good deal on a pin or selling a pin for top dollar. Many do seem bothered when others do the same, though. It's fine when it's a business but somehow it's the worst if an individual.

Very well said and totally true!!

John

#48 5 years ago

C.R.E.A.M.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Very well said and totally true!!
    John

I second that John. Free enterprise is what makes America great!!! If you’re into Pinball, you flip machines. At some point. Lol.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

BUT.....at least 25 of my games are keepers.

heh heh heh. American Pickers is going to be doing some sessions in Kansas (I don't know when). Nebraska is not that far away. Are we going to get to see Mike and Frank talk about " this guy just not want to sell anything. We haven't been able to break the ice".

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-a-flipper-definition-of-?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.