Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I was wondering what do people consider a call out on a pinball machine?

I always considered it as a voice sound clip that mentions something pinball specific. Ex: Jackpot! Shoot the right orbit! Extra Ball! Get the extra ball!...ect....

I never considered sound clips from movies or custom jackpot "sounds" to be call outs, but I'm guessing that others do.

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I never considered sound clips from movies or custom jackpot "sounds" to be call outs, but I'm guessing that others do.

"YOOOUUU SHALL NOT PAASSSS!" is a pretty freakin cool movie clip call out in a pin.

#3 11 years ago

I may be wrong in this but to ME a call out is any voice quote. Like I said, could be wrong. Hopefully one of the designers or some other pinball guru can give a definitive definition.

#4 11 years ago

Yes, voice clips from movies and custom voice clips are both call-outs.
    Pretty much anytime the game "calls out" to you, in a language, to do something.

#5 11 years ago

Somebody get me a RAZAAAARR!!

#6 11 years ago

"Your not gonna eat that are ya?"

#7 11 years ago

The Wizard of OZ:

SHOOOOT THHHHEEEE RAAAMP!

#8 11 years ago

In the music industry, they call them "samples". Kinda weird coming from a music background and into this hobby and no one calling them samples. But I digress.

#9 11 years ago

I thought 'call out' was a bit strange too, from my point of view it's an American pinhead thing.

#10 11 years ago

"Give Me Your Money!!!" not really a call out durning the game, but a great call out either way.

#11 11 years ago

When Anderson Cooper tells us what we already knew BEFORE he confirmed it.

#12 11 years ago

"Shoot the Pyramid" StarGate

#13 11 years ago

He wasn't asking what is a great call out or the best call out. Just "What is a call out?" It seems the answer is any Voice Sample in a game.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

He wasn't asking what is a great call out or the best call out. Just "What is a call out?" It seems the answer is any Voice Sample in a game

Most people don't read thread tittles correctly. They just see the words "what" "call out" and then want to post their favorite.

#15 11 years ago

Get to the choppa. Predator - Skit B

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

In the music industry, they call them "samples". Kinda weird coming from a music background and into this hobby and no one calling them samples. But I digress.

So would something custom recorded also be called a "sample" in the music industry? I always assumed a sample was a sound clip that was lifted from another source.

#17 11 years ago

i always wished they made an american idol pin....

would kill for a "seacrest out" call out

#18 11 years ago

I always thought a call out was when a pin was in attract mode and it would "call out" to you trying to get your attention to play the game.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

He wasn't asking what is a great call out or the best call out. Just "What is a call out?" It seems the answer is any Voice Sample in a game.

I don't agree with this definition. As mentioned earlier, a pin "call out" is probably best defined as a sound bite (spoken words, or maybe even a particular sound effect) that lets the player know that a certain pin shot or mode or something is going on in the game. In other words, it's something that indicates strategy or game state to the player without looking at the display. Sound clips or "samples" (spoken words or other) that don't relate to a specific shot or strategy aren't call outs, imo. Not the same thing as a generic audio "sample."

#20 11 years ago

I guess that is what we are trying to determine here. Is a call out just any voice sample or is it game play specific like Extra Ball or Jackpot? We should make this a poll.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I guess that is what we are trying to determine here. Is a call out just any voice sample or is it game play specific like Extra Ball or Jackpot? We should make this a poll.

Well, I guess I'll vote for the latter! Seems to me that a "call out" has a purpose, in that it calls out to the player. Music, sound effects, and random speech or other audio clips are just sounds. "Call out" implies a purpose imo, not just arbitrary sounds.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

So would something custom recorded also be called a "sample" in the music industry? I always assumed a sample was a sound clip that was lifted from another source.

Taken from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(music)

#23 11 years ago

This was taken from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callout

#24 11 years ago

Although the pinball usage would be by analogy only, it seems clear to me that a "callout" is an audio cue that gives information relevant to gameplay, and not just any triggered audio in a pin.

#25 11 years ago

God I love wikipedia!

#26 11 years ago

"Now get out"......Whirlwind

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I was wondering what do people consider a call out on a pinball machine?
    I always considered it as a voice sound clip that mentions something pinball specific. Ex: Jackpot! Shoot the right orbit! Extra Ball! Get the extra ball!...ect....

Kind of agree and was expecting more of these in X-men. Hoping those closer to Stern who mentioned custom speech, can give update.

Still not sure if there is a Jackpot call in X-men? So simple to do but they are one of the reasons the 90's pins are so great.

#28 11 years ago

It's what I will do when I get my first NIB.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-a-call-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.