3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture_(resized).PNG

#1 3 years ago

WPC audio board lists all the capacitors in uFd and pFd. Except for one, which is listed as 100M. Can anyone definitely tell me what that translates to? I'm finding a lot of different answers on google.

#2 3 years ago

Probably microfarad or uFd.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Probably microfarad or uFd.

Yeah, except there seems to be multiple definitions, and I don't want my board to explode, I want to know for sure what it means.

It seems like sometimes this can be interpreted as 100 microfarads, but it doesn't make sense for the manual to document all the other capacitors as 'uFd', and this one as 'M', if that is the case. And there is a technical definition that says this is a value code and tolerance, and is 10 pico farads +/- 20%. And then some sites convert 10 pf as .01 uf, and some convert 10 pf as .00001 uf.

Sciencey stuff is usually a bit more strict than what I'm finding in this case.

#4 3 years ago

Is there any more like it on the board.If another is marked the same just measure the capacitance with a multimeter.

#5 3 years ago

It's milifarads, technically lowercase but not often adhered to. Micro is always stamped with u even though it's technically Mu. 100 is huge though, are you sure it isn't .100?

Quoted from EvanDickson:

And then some sites convert 10 pf as .01 uf, and some convert 10 pf as .00001 uf

This is going to be because the manufacturers left the decimal point out of the stamp, rather it is implied (67 is actually .067, etc), causing the offset by three digits.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

It's milifarads, technically lowercase but not often adhered to. Micro is always stamped with u even though it's technically Mu. 100 is huge though, are you sure it isn't .100?

This is going to be because the manufacturers left the decimal point out of the stamp, rather it is implied (67 is actually .067, etc), causing the offset by three digits.

It says 100. But I did hear that there was once a mistake in a pinball manual somewhere. Just once though.

Capture_(resized).PNG

#7 3 years ago

Aha, I just realized an alternate way of determining this. The Williams part #. Marco has lookups by manufacturer part number. In this case, it appears it is 100 uF. It's weird they labelled it different than the rest.

Thanks all for helping me talk through this!

#8 3 years ago

That Williams part number reference is helpful. Wish more electronic PB parts suppliers would do this. Caps give me fits trying to find the correct ones on websites.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    € 279.00
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside