(Topic ID: 152440)

What innovated ideas would you incorporate into a Pinball Machine?

By Pinballlew

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1256 (resized).JPG
    rockemsockem (resized).jpg
    bfb4da4cf2a8161ce270a020a1ce95c7bf188920.png (resized).jpg
    pinout_ramp_apron (resized).png
    02b4650953d943b337a92e44553eb31a165bee9d (resized).jpg
    a4bbd749ad8c829ceefc113eaf0dd4d3_(resized).jpg
    mills_eis_front_(resized).jpg
    6958fd034e2c44ba7fb9ee927a04337d_(resized).jpg
    Musée_Mécanique_160_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    hooked_small_(resized).jpg
    hud_(resized).jpg
    23d54ce306a93622a51349cf7e8304197afdb5e0_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Pachinko tech is where it's at. Multi layered 3d HD screens, Animatronics. If you mixed that with Pinball and magnets. It would be absolutely an incredible experience

I'm amazed that japan still embraces pachinko. It's really not even the same game anymore.

Quoted from tdunbar:

Table flips over to a new game underneath like those pool tables that flip over to air hockey 2 in 1 pinball

I've pondered that, but when you realize how much crap is under the playfield there's just no way unless you figure out how to embed all the lighting and coils in the middle of the playfield via piezo wires.

Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

How about projecting info/data/image from "UNDER" the glass like a dashboard hud in automotive. You would need zones on the glass that have a tint applied so the projected light would be visible like P2k but inverted. This could be as simple as a semi-transparent decal you could apply on glass. In a way it is pinball 2000 upside down but it is much more I imagine the light could emit from various mechanisms all over the playfield. The math checks out, it can be done

HUD is usually just an LCD on top of the dash projected up to the windshield. Of course there are transparent LCD's now (which is what slot machines are using), but they are still prohibitively expensive

2 months later
    #90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think it would be cool to implement this tech into a pinball. mount the metal contacts into the lockdown bar and as you progress through a mode on the game the shock gets more intense. Shock Multiball mode or something LOL

You know that's not really electrifying anyone right? There's shaker motors inside and the handles are mounted on rubber gimbals. My brother used to work for gameworks, and he's never satisfied with anything so he added extra offset weights to bump up the vibration.

5 months later
    #102 7 years ago
    Quoted from Catch86:

Put VR capability with it

I just don't see VR going commercial unless you can clip on displays onto some sort of disposable helmet. Think about how dirty joysticks and buttons get at arcades. Now imagine that same scum getting put on your head. You can wash your hands pretty easily, head not so much.

With that said, I still think a VR-like experience can be made without glasses. You can simulate 3d objects pretty well with a transparent LCD and head tracking. I've seen some technologies that can create basic laser objects in thin air (this could get better over time). Pinball2k was a step in the right direction (but still had flat images and a dark playfield because of the technology). I would love to see graphics augmented over real game play. Had hologram pinball caught on, we might even see virtual balls mixed in with real ones (or make the real balls different colors).

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The ability to enter your skill level, before staring a game. Give at least 3 options for players to choose from. Some choices could be Child, Novice, Average, and Skilled. The adjustments like Easy, Normal, and Hard could also be used.

I think it needs to be better than choosing. I think a pinball should adapt according to how you're playing in realtime. If you start playing really good, maybe the outposts are movable by servo control.. Or the coils on the slings adjust power to aim the ball towards the outlanes, or maybe a reverse kicker is inactive inside a gobble hole until you start having a good ball. Not saying this would necessarily work for tournament play, but for location pinball this would keep long ball times down (but give novice players a fair chance). this is how slots work, it makes you win at first, but then starts changing odds so you lose. It's what encourages gambling more. Imagine the same kind of adjusting difficulty on a pinball?

#109 7 years ago

After completing all 7 levels on pinout app.. (below is a walkthrough, not mine)

I saw some cool things in there I've never seen in pinball. Yes, many of them could not possibly translate to real pinball (controlling ball direction without flipping, endless table length). However:

* I dug the power up mode (motion link) where the song slows to a stop, and speeds back up when you hit the flipper (almost as if you're pushing a turntable), then slows down again. It made it feel more real.

* I like the part where there's like 2 cross ramps that you have to shoot in order to unlock the wall blocking the next table. The ball also drains into the opposite side with great flow.

* I like the part where there's a ramped wall that's the apron for the next set of flippers. Would be neat to split a playfield into 2 even smaller playfields

pinout_ramp_apron (resized).pngpinout_ramp_apron (resized).png

3 months later
    #140 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Has there ever been a pin that has either ramps that moves not vertically but horizontally on the playfield to change the ball path? How about habitrails?

Can't think of any game that has ramps that move horizontally but I like that idea. Doesn't STTNG have diverters in the habitrails?

11 months later
    #150 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

what about save and load for the very long games like TSPP LOTR and others.

im no programmer, but i dont see why this isnt feasible? logic today is smart enough to save the state (current score, whats currently accomplished, what ball number its on, how many extra balls, how many virtual balls are locked).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-innovated-ideas-would-you-incorporate-into-a-pinball-machine?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.