(Topic ID: 152440)

What innovated ideas would you incorporate into a Pinball Machine?

By Pinballlew

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1256 (resized).JPG
    rockemsockem (resized).jpg
    bfb4da4cf2a8161ce270a020a1ce95c7bf188920.png (resized).jpg
    pinout_ramp_apron (resized).png
    02b4650953d943b337a92e44553eb31a165bee9d (resized).jpg
    a4bbd749ad8c829ceefc113eaf0dd4d3_(resized).jpg
    mills_eis_front_(resized).jpg
    6958fd034e2c44ba7fb9ee927a04337d_(resized).jpg
    Musée_Mécanique_160_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    hooked_small_(resized).jpg
    hud_(resized).jpg
    23d54ce306a93622a51349cf7e8304197afdb5e0_(resized).jpg

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 8 years ago

Table flips over to a new game underneath like those pool tables that flip over to air hockey 2 in 1 pinball. Also design a much better way to mount remove the playfield glass like in a frame that tilts up or sideways or maybe the cabinet just a little wider and it slides into the side.

#52 8 years ago

A mini camera on the apron, centered between the flippers facing up field. Spectators could watch game play from "ground level" on a screen in the machines head. Or players could cover the playfield and be forced to play by watching via the monitor.

#53 8 years ago

Customization--being able to personalize a table theme, or allowing smaller licenses to be able to offer a reskinned machine to their fanbase.

And yes, being able to drop in your own music!

#54 8 years ago

Networked multiplayer so you can play with others around the world. A camera mounted on backbox captures the action from remote opponents and displays it on your lcd screen also in back box, so you can follow the action when not your turn.

#56 8 years ago

I do like the idea of linking 2 or more games together and have goals be competitive on who can complete them first. Or Destroy your opponents score mode where tasks will subtract their points. So many options here.

#57 8 years ago

Some kind of massager integrated into the coin door so you can stick your fingers in there when they start to get tired.

#58 8 years ago

I like the lit target idea, they can change purpose reflected by changing color.

I like the LCD in the apron, which is where a player's eyes are. It could supplement the primary LCD with mode specific goals.

When that is in place the backbox LCD could be used to display information for spectators, like persistent scores, current mode info, and camera views of the game play.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some kind of massager integrated into the coin door so you can stick your fingers in there when they start to get tired.

I'm guessing this would be abused in some deviant manner.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Forget slot tech.
    Pachinko tech is where it's at. Multi layered 3d HD screens, Animatronics. If you mixed that with Pinball and magnets. It would be absolutely an incredible experience
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

that bumblebee transforming is soooo cool!

#61 8 years ago

I would also like to see LED side rails to draw you to the action and maybe grab onlookers towards the games...

#62 8 years ago

I think swappable playfields would be a huge success. The price would be less than half the cost of a new machine and it would increase the number of tables someone could have with limited space. They could be kept in a hard plastic case and stacked and stored when not in use. When a game loses its appeal simply slide in a new game, plug in and play.

#63 8 years ago

I would like to see flippers and maybe some other field mechanisms change from coils to stepper motor drives. I've got to believe that a stepper could replicate the speed and power and also allow for a curve or tuning. If coupled with an engineered flipper control that can recognize the speed that a player applies the button, the player would have more control and not just be at the variable of a game's set up.

IMO, there haven't been many innovations in game "targets" and "toys" lately. Been a lot with lighting. I may be wrong but the most the toys and features of games haven't taken advantage of how changing the speed and intensity of how they react or operate could change the method of play. As an example off the top of my head, something as simple as a powered spinning disc in the playfield, it doesn't have to be set to run at one speed, it could easily be programmed to increase or decrease in speed depending upon goals met during gameplay. IOW, a good player can get a machine to play at a higher speed, the game should also be able to do the same. Kind of like how a powerball being lighter changes the play of TZ but instead of the lighter ball causing it, the game itself has the ability to ramp things up.

#64 8 years ago

How about projecting info/data/image from "UNDER" the glass like a dashboard hud in automotive. You would need zones on the glass that have a tint applied so the projected light would be visible like P2k but inverted. This could be as simple as a semi-transparent decal you could apply on glass. In a way it is pinball 2000 upside down but it is much more I imagine the light could emit from various mechanisms all over the playfield. The math checks out, it can be done...

hud_(resized).jpghud_(resized).jpg

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

I would like to see flippers and maybe some other field mechanisms change from coils to stepper motor drives. I've got to believe that a stepper could replicate the speed and power and also allow for a curve or tuning. If coupled with an engineered flipper control that can recognize the speed that a player applies the button, the player would have more control and not just be at the variable of a game's set up.

I have thought of this as well. I have a Yamaha Motif music keyboard that has keys that are pressure sensitive and respond by increasing volume with the increase pressure of key strokes. With pressure sensitive flipper buttons you could control the ball like a magician. Imagine the possibilities with being able to control the flipper more accurately and stall the flipper in the middle or rocket a ball with a slap of the button. It would definitely change the entire dynamic as we know it.

#66 8 years ago

No cab suggestions here just game play suggestions. I would spend the money on the playfield and gaming experience.

Yes you would have to hire me to get this
    Simple to more complex.
    1. single shot multiple ball outlets using subways or more modern captive balls.
    I can also see this with a elevator shot opening and a mechanical guide to direct.
    2. During reward round roving shots...Shot reward randomly shows for 3-4 seconds then moves, can also be used during multi ball to add additional balls to the PF (suggested this two years ago to a program fella hoping this happens).

OK now the pricey stuff more out there stuff...

4. Blue tooth dual - player one plays the game player two controls the shots / combos via smart phone in a timed dual. Think of it like the game of HORSE...you challenge the others skill in hopes they fail.
    5. Destroy the kingdom -player one against a random computer program (has to have at least 100 variations). Or players against each other trying to wipe out each others PF.
    Once something is destroyed it vanishes...next ball the player who had it destroyed could rebuild by making specific shots.
    The object bing to clear the others playfiled as you rebuild your playfield.

Oh I got tons of them

hooked_small_(resized).jpghooked_small_(resized).jpg

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

How about projecting info/data/image from "UNDER" the glass like a dashboard hud in automotive. You would need zones on the glass that have a tint applied so the projected light would be visible like P2k but inverted. This could be as simple as a semi-transparent decal you could apply on glass. In a way it is pinball 2000 upside down but it is much more I imagine the light could emit from various mechanisms all over the playfield. The math checks out, it can be done...
    hud_(resized).jpg

This would be a huge Wow factor that I think would draw in the younger crowd!

#68 8 years ago

I was going to say slow down but then noticed it was KPH.....or 49 MPH......SPEED UP!

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Pachinko tech is where it's at. Multi layered 3d HD screens, Animatronics. If you mixed that with Pinball and magnets. It would be absolutely an incredible experience

I'm amazed that japan still embraces pachinko. It's really not even the same game anymore.

Quoted from tdunbar:

Table flips over to a new game underneath like those pool tables that flip over to air hockey 2 in 1 pinball

I've pondered that, but when you realize how much crap is under the playfield there's just no way unless you figure out how to embed all the lighting and coils in the middle of the playfield via piezo wires.

Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

How about projecting info/data/image from "UNDER" the glass like a dashboard hud in automotive. You would need zones on the glass that have a tint applied so the projected light would be visible like P2k but inverted. This could be as simple as a semi-transparent decal you could apply on glass. In a way it is pinball 2000 upside down but it is much more I imagine the light could emit from various mechanisms all over the playfield. The math checks out, it can be done

HUD is usually just an LCD on top of the dash projected up to the windshield. Of course there are transparent LCD's now (which is what slot machines are using), but they are still prohibitively expensive

#70 8 years ago

I always liked the idea of a special ball like the powerball in TZ. You get special modes with the ball or have to make certain shots with it. I would love to see something like this used in a different game.

Another thing I would like to see is more interaction with multiplayer games. You could steal ball locks, jackpots, swap scores, rob points, and work to spoil things for the other player(s). Spoilers could be having to use only one flipper, do or die shots, negative point scoring, etc. It could be like a board game where everyone is involved at all times and the focus is on having fun. Instead of points, perhaps the winner would be chosen by reaching a goal first or something like that.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I always liked the idea of a special ball like the powerball in TZ. You get special modes with the ball or have to make certain shots with it. I would love to see something like this used in a different game.

I agree. I'd like multicolored, shatterproof clear balls that represent a different mode. They obviously wouldn't react to magnets, but would look awesome, nonetheless. Kind of like this:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #72 8 years ago

This is way cool! From the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy pin!

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I agree. I'd like multicolored, shatterproof clear balls that represent a different mode. They obviously wouldn't react to magnets, but would look awesome, nonetheless. Kind of like this:

How long would they last? How heavy are they? Have you tried them? Just curious.

#74 8 years ago

Wifi and a distributable home web server

Webserver could be placed on a HDMI stick (not USB) and you could have game results showing on a big screen mounted up on the wall. Top ten scores per machine, top score per game in your collection...etc. You could then add in diagnostic features and on screen warning messages for games with issues. Pin inactivity with the TV still on would show random game pics and info.

Build on this to included head to head and top scores per game by world, region, country.s I know there will be cheaters but 80% - 20% rules shouldn't ruin your fun.

-Tourney software
    -WIFI updates

If PPS and Stern open sourced their ROM's (stern could do it at the 5 year mark) a lot of games could be retrofitted to make this a reality. Alas, the big picture seems to elude both.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

How long would they last? How heavy are they? Have you tried them? Just curious.

I've never actually tried them, just throwing out a random idea for the heck of it.

I heard that the powerball in TZ required extensive engineering and testing for weight and durability in order to be used in its modes. I'm sure that clear balls like the ones I mentioned would require a similar testing process so they wouldn't shatter into splinters.

#76 8 years ago

Combining several of the excellent ideas here, I am currently cooking up a single cab that will play every early S/S Bally and Stern table. Widebody or single. Chimes or electronic sound. Universal plug-ins. One piece glass/siderails/lockdown bar that will lift to the vertical on gas shocks. Relocation of the boards to facilitate the swap. Beefier power supply. Headphones plug. Etc, etc, etc... And I shall call it the "Multi-Bally."

Not looking to have people chucking cases here. I love a dedicated machine. With companies like CPR pumping out remakes and not to mention those folks who just collect playfields in the event they ever purchase the machine, here's the answer. 10 Bally/Stern S/S games in the space of two. Any questions??? (The goal is to be able to swap out a playfield and reconfigure the innards to play it in under 5 minutes. I've worked out most of the details, with just a few problems lingering. Construction to begin post TPF.)

#77 8 years ago

Open source code with supported mod tools.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Spooky is halfway there...

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

for legal issues / copyright issues just letting there be 3rd party mod tools with out shunting them down.

#80 8 years ago

Magnetized ball launcher, no more weak autoplungers!

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Or Destroy your opponents score mode where tasks will subtract their points.

Not quite the same thing but Police Force uses a point stealing mode called Take High Score. When this is running you shoot the right ramp twice in a row to add your opponent's score to yours during a two player game, but it doesn't subtract any points from your opponent. I'm also not sure how it would work with three or four players.

#82 8 years ago

Pinball profiles using RFID / QR codes. Imagine downloading a Stern, JJP, Spooky, etc app on your cell phone, creating a player profile (think XBOX Live gamertag / Steam ID) and then as long as its near a machine the profile syncs to the game.

Once synced you could see your player profile on the game including your avatar picture. Game scores along with game statistics (ramps hit, modes beaten, etc) would be saved to your profile for later viewing. This would also open up opportunities for tournaments to be ran easily even if they are only local. High scores could be easily posted to Facebook / Twitter and a friends feature could be incorporated as well.

Pinball profiles integrated with smartphones would help both home and on location players feel more connected even if they are playing alone.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

for legal issues / copyright issues just letting there be 3rd party mod tools with out shunting them down.

Game companies selling titles on Steam allow many of their games, including those with copyrighted music such as Grand Theft Auto 5, to be openly modded and those mods shared with other users. To get around license holder concerns with modded code manufactures could implement a setting to only allow modded code to run while a game is in free play mode.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Game companies selling titles on Steam allow many of their games, including those with copyrighted music such as Grand Theft Auto 5, to be openly modded and those mods shared with other users. To get around license holder concerns with modded code manufactures could implement a setting to only allow modded code to run while a game is in free play mode.

Also a real file system that can be used easily by modders and not the hack the rom / update file.

#85 8 years ago

The playfield to be one, large LED display. Physical targets, slings, ramps etc on top. Although the actual shots wouldn't change it could be easily re-themed and different sounds and rules produced. Just upload a new software package that has the new skin, music, speech, rules etc.

#86 8 years ago

As soon as the ball is plunged, I'd like to see the back box light go out completely. This would eliminate the translite glare during game play and the light could return after the ball has drained. It could easily operate off the shooter lane and ball trough switches.

Same thing for the DMD but it would still occasionally come back on during game play. However the DMD would be used sparingly and only during appropriate moments. This would make the DMD a more important and strategic distraction to pay attention to in the moment.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

The playfield to be one, large LED display. Physical targets, slings, ramps etc on top. Although the actual shots wouldn't change it could be easily re-themed and different sounds and rules produced. Just upload a new software package that has the new skin, music, speech, rules etc.

1 week later
    #88 8 years ago

I think the magnetic slings on Ghostbusters is exactly the kind of stuff to refresh the game a bit. Hope they keep trying new stuff..can't wait to see these in action.

1 month later
    #89 7 years ago

I think it would be cool to implement this tech into a pinball. mount the metal contacts into the lockdown bar and as you progress through a mode on the game the shock gets more intense. Shock Multiball mode or something LOL

Musée_Mécanique_160_(resized).JPGMusée_Mécanique_160_(resized).JPG

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think it would be cool to implement this tech into a pinball. mount the metal contacts into the lockdown bar and as you progress through a mode on the game the shock gets more intense. Shock Multiball mode or something LOL

You know that's not really electrifying anyone right? There's shaker motors inside and the handles are mounted on rubber gimbals. My brother used to work for gameworks, and he's never satisfied with anything so he added extra offset weights to bump up the vibration.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

You know that's not really electrifying anyone right? There's shaker motors inside and the handles are mounted on rubber gimbals. My brother used to work for gameworks, and he's never satisfied with anything so he added extra offset weights to bump up the vibration.

Never seen that machine in person so no I didn't realize this. They had old time machines (ie carnival style) that did shock though right? Thought I remember these as a kid. Maybe like this:

6958fd034e2c44ba7fb9ee927a04337d_(resized).jpg6958fd034e2c44ba7fb9ee927a04337d_(resized).jpg

mills_eis_front_(resized).jpgmills_eis_front_(resized).jpg

a4bbd749ad8c829ceefc113eaf0dd4d3_(resized).jpga4bbd749ad8c829ceefc113eaf0dd4d3_(resized).jpg

2 months later
    #92 7 years ago

Maybe add some 4D experiences for the player. I think it would be funny to get squirted with water on a game such as a whitewater. Not so sure on the sensor-equipped motion seats for pinball but I guess it could be done...I prefer playing standing though!

A “4D” experience means that a 3D movie is combined with features like sensor-equipped motion seats, wind, strobe, fog, rain and scents

2 months later
    #93 7 years ago

wanted to archive a few ideas from other threads here.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

100% agreed; I don't mean an easy to get to wizard mode or anything, just something "easy" but interesting for new players to do.
    Heck, an opportunity on The Hobbit for this would be to have an easy to access mode where all four pop-ups raise and you have to hit them down. You get all four down, you clear the mode. Easy to understand. Reasonably rewarding (I accomplished something! Yay).
    You could then have a harder version of the mode later in the game where if you don't clear them in X seconds, they start to raise back up (one by one) making it harder to finish. With the right audio cues that is more challening but still easy to understand.
    For all I know, these modes are already in The Hobbbit, but buried somewhere. To me it seems like all chaos all the time, which has some razzle dazzle but is low down on the scale of feeling you accomplished anything.

#94 7 years ago

The playfield is curved like a skateboard ramp to make the shots long....You have to be dialed in to make the long shots....lol

02b4650953d943b337a92e44553eb31a165bee9d (resized).jpg02b4650953d943b337a92e44553eb31a165bee9d (resized).jpg

#95 7 years ago

Ok I was also thinking that JJP#3 new system as well as others should implement something for location players. Especially JJP#3 pin like Dialed In where the game is not intuitive to what is going on at first glance. I feel the Pins are getting better sound systems and with the LCD display could really pull in new players by updating the attract mode of these games. Think carnival barker talking to you about the game displayed on the LCD with the sound on explaining the game to you in detail, hinting at and highlighting features of the game. The playfield can go dark and light up in unison with what the narrator is teaching or showing off. Think of all the cool attract sounds to pull potential players over to the games. Just an idea.

#96 7 years ago

The Dialed In game could snap a picture of potential players walking by and say "HEY YOU, YES YOU!, come on over and play Dialed In as your picture is being blasted on the LCD

#97 7 years ago

tables that can be connected together (By a tube?) ..A pinball theme with a series of machines

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Ok I was also thinking that JJP#3 new system as well as others should implement something for location players. Especially JJP#3 pin like Dialed In where the game is not intuitive to what is going on at first glance. I feel the Pins are getting better sound systems and with the LCD display could really pull in new players by updating the attract mode of these games. Think carnival barker talking to you about the game displayed on the LCD with the sound on explaining the game to you in detail, hinting at and highlighting features of the game. The playfield can go dark and light up in unison with what the narrator is teaching or showing off. Think of all the cool attract sounds to pull potential players over to the games. Just an idea.

bally did that back in the 80's with some of the 6803 games.

1 week later
    #99 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

bally did that back in the 80's with some of the 6803 games.

I understand that they had some attract modes but I really think that with JJP's platform it really could be brought up a few levels to really pull players in.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:tables that can be connected together (By a tube?) ..A pinball theme with a series of machines

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

tables that can be connected together (By a tube?) ..A pinball theme with a series of machines

Do you mean where the ball travels from one game to another through the connecting tube?

#100 7 years ago

Yes....I think that would be pretty cool

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-innovated-ideas-would-you-incorporate-into-a-pinball-machine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.