(Topic ID: 152440)

What innovated ideas would you incorporate into a Pinball Machine?

By Pinballlew

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1256 (resized).JPG
    rockemsockem (resized).jpg
    bfb4da4cf2a8161ce270a020a1ce95c7bf188920.png (resized).jpg
    pinout_ramp_apron (resized).png
    02b4650953d943b337a92e44553eb31a165bee9d (resized).jpg
    a4bbd749ad8c829ceefc113eaf0dd4d3_(resized).jpg
    mills_eis_front_(resized).jpg
    6958fd034e2c44ba7fb9ee927a04337d_(resized).jpg
    Musée_Mécanique_160_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    hooked_small_(resized).jpg
    hud_(resized).jpg
    23d54ce306a93622a51349cf7e8304197afdb5e0_(resized).jpg
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 8 years ago

It would be pretty cool if they mounted a touchscreen near your right hand on the apron where as you could change settings in the gameplay or make choices "if you will" to shoot for certain goals or modes. I am unsure of the logistics or feasability to this financially for any company to incorporate this but I think from a players stand point this could be technologically interactive. Maybe this is the plan that Dialed in is taking with hooking up to a smart phone that Lawlor is thinking. Here is an idea make a Avatar creator app and have it uploadable to the pinball for LCD interactions while playing. Upload pictures might be dangerous with x-rated stuff but if you could take a picture and upload it to the pinball would be a cool concept. Or maybe have a camera within the pinball itself to take a snap shot of you before playing and have it incorporated into the game play somehow. I am just trying to think of pulling in the younger generations into pinball interest for operators. Just bouncing some ideas around.

#2 8 years ago

OLED targets. We already have the technology in the form of WMS and Bally slot machines. If they stayed in the pinball biz we might already have had them. Just turn them sideways and make sure you have a thick enough clear surface to withstand ball impacts. Evolving video targets, maybe even spinners.

#3 8 years ago

is this you again mr.Stern???
    you dont fool me!

i will only tell you if you hire me!!!!

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

We already have the technology in the form of WMS and Bally slot machines.

The technology in the slot machines by WMS and Bally are pretty amazing. Some screen illusions are really convincing. Its a shame that they're no longer in the business of pinball.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I am just trying to think of pulling in the younger generations into pinball interest for operators.

Any cell phone app integration. Connect the pinball machines to wifi or bluetooth and create an interface so that people can interact with the game from their phone. Maybe an achievement system, or a way to "save" your progress on the game to encourage repeat plays. Heck, maybe even integrate apple pay or android pay so that coinage doesn't have to be an issue.

Also, connecting the pinball machines to wifi could give them the capability of automatically alerting the operator via automatically generated email or text message that certain functions of the game need servicing (broken switch(es), solenoids, bookkeeping alerts, etc). I'm really surprised that hasn't made it's way into the software and hardware yet.

#6 8 years ago

I wrote this stuff in another thread two years ago:

"The entire backglass is a 4k resolution screen. It has an HD camera with face recognition and a microphone with voice recognition. When you GC (or even put up a top score) it takes a picture of you celebrating.
    I walk up to the pin and say "(Name of machine) ON" and the pin says:
    "Welcome back Adam, are we feeling lucky this evening"
    Me - "Not so much, I'm kind of tired"
    Pin - "Well I'm sorry to hear that, would you like me to add a ball?"
    Me - "No, standard three ball is fine"
    Pin - "Very well, shall we begin"
    Me - "Fire away"
    Pin- "Ball launching in 3....2....1....launch"

"It could verbally tell you how your doing and how far along you are in the game.......or not, your choice. It could verbally tell you when a switch is going bad.....etc...."

I don't only want to talk back to me....I want it to mock me when I'm playing bad.
    "Jesus, you just missed that same shot three times in a row.....have another"
    "You keep playing like this and I'm shutting down"
    "So...I bet you played a lot of video games growing up didn't you?"
    "Those buttons on the side....yeah they make the flippers move"

#7 8 years ago

Wow those OLED sure would be cool. Yes I think the cell phone app would be awesome to integrate. Love the talking pin. Would be great to have a Triumph the insult comic pinball...lol

#8 8 years ago

Self cleaning playfield.

LTG : )™

#9 8 years ago

instead of playfield toys, you use several mini led screens to show various animations when making certain shots. Of course keeping the toys would be good too but they can be enhanced by the screens.

#10 8 years ago

Forget slot tech.
    Pachinko tech is where it's at. Multi layered 3d HD screens, Animatronics. If you mixed that with Pinball and magnets. It would be absolutely an incredible experience

#11 8 years ago

Self leveling PF...

#12 8 years ago

A tilt that would shock the piss out of a player who mistreats a machine! Working on it now. 50amps at 240volts works. Been there, done that.

#13 8 years ago

My wife and I were playing Metallica the other night and I had a multi ball mode going. It was chaotic as usual. She points to the apron as I am playing and says that there should be a screen in it that mimics the DMD so you can see what is going on at all times. I thought it was an excellent idea and would love to see that incorporated. Wonder how much it would cost?

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Self leveling PF...

It would be pretty interesting if they had a table that would alter levels during a mode incorporated into a machine. Think of the ball action on that. Maybe a surfing theme with the waves being simulated by the whole playfield moving. hmm

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

My wife and I were playing Metallica the other night and I had a multi ball mode going. It was chaotic as usual. She points to the apron as I am playing and says that there should be a screen in it that mimics the DMD so you can see what is going on at all times. I thought it was an excellent idea and would love to see that incorporated. Wonder how much it would cost?

Probably wouldn't cost as much as you might think. 5" TFT displays are only about $30. Some data conversion circuitry. Biggest cost would be paying for the development/firmware engineering. Could easily be viable for future games, possibly viable as a mod for existing games.
    DMD Extemder was already working on similar items.

23d54ce306a93622a51349cf7e8304197afdb5e0_(resized).jpg23d54ce306a93622a51349cf7e8304197afdb5e0_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

It would be pretty cool if they mounted a touchscreen near your right hand on the apron where as you could change settings in the gameplay or make choices "if you will" to shoot for certain goals or modes. I am unsure of the logistics or feasability to this financially for any company to incorporate this but I think from a players stand point this could be technologically interactive. Maybe this is the plan that Dialed in is taking with hooking up to a smart phone that Lawlor is thinking. Here is an idea make a Avatar creator app and have it uploadable to the pinball for LCD interactions while playing. Upload pictures might be dangerous with x-rated stuff but if you could take a picture and upload it to the pinball would be a cool concept. Or maybe have a camera within the pinball itself to take a snap shot of you before playing and have it incorporated into the game play somehow. I am just trying to think of pulling in the younger generations into pinball interest for operators. Just bouncing some ideas around.

the p3 pinball has cool stuff.

Network access is dangerous just from a hacking stand point.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Any cell phone app integration. Connect the pinball machines to wifi or bluetooth and create an interface so that people can interact with the game from their phone. Maybe an achievement system, or a way to "save" your progress on the game to encourage repeat plays. Heck, maybe even integrate apple pay or android pay so that coinage doesn't have to be an issue.
    Also, connecting the pinball machines to wifi could give them the capability of automatically alerting the operator via automatically generated email or text message that certain functions of the game need servicing (broken switch(es), solenoids, bookkeeping alerts, etc). I'm really surprised that hasn't made it's way into the software and hardware yet.

Payrange is 3rd party and makes so the op's just need to pay there fees and not apple pay or android pay fees + a fee to stern or others to just be on the pay network.

Payrange uses your phone for the network so the op's does not need to deal with wifi / pay for a cell link / run Ethernet to the game.

#18 8 years ago

Great Thread! Gaz are you listening????

#19 8 years ago

Well... none, if they are already innovated. Innovative idea is a combination mechanical lower playfield with a back glass electronic playfield. A vertical LCD playfield would take some getting use to, but programmers can accomplish things that are impossible to do with mechanical pins. I happen to be someone who likes both.

#20 8 years ago

I'd say any innovation that can provide competitive play or rewarded play through phone apps (or even just a website with player profiles that connects directly to systems setup on pins) should be a top priority. Kids have their ticket reward systems (which are admittedly still fun as an adult), however, a more "adult" system that was geared toward competitive and single player "goal oriented" setups for teens and adults would be excellent.

I love playing the tournaments in the Pinball Arcade app - it's still competitive, but it's also much less intimidating than going to a real tournament. I think there's a great market for this with everyone who already likes pinball... But just as importantly, it would be a potentially exciting way to usher in new interest to pinball overall from the outside as well.

I think I've read a couple things on Pinside over the past year about people working on this already? If not, it really really really should be done.

#21 8 years ago

If you could add bats to a game like they have on those pitch and bats, then a player would have more control over the ball and it wouldn't be so much a gambling machine. They could be called "flippers".

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you could add bats to a game like they have on those pitch and bats, then a player would have more control over the ball and it wouldn't be so much a gambling machine. They could be called "flippers".

hmmm..sounds familiar

#23 8 years ago

I thought it was a pretty innovated idea.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's crazy talk.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

It would be pretty interesting if they had a table that would alter levels during a mode incorporated into a machine. Think of the ball action on that. Maybe a surfing theme with the waves being simulated by the whole playfield moving. hmm

Yep, and thanks to mass market devices like iPhones, accelerometers are really inexpensive.

I also think it would be cool to have SmartPinballs that can interact/communicate with the pin in some fashion.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Agreed, BUT... What if instead, we took a Lion, then added a Man to him? I feel as if the exclamations appearing after would practically birth themselves. The world or more importantly, Pinside itself, would forever be changed.

#27 8 years ago

A music pin that lets you drop in your own theme. Thus, you can add any song, drop in artwork that you create. Toys that can be pulled and replaced with another toy. Meaning the the feed to the toy could be a lamp or a solenoid.

Modder's can go crazy to create custom toys.

Personally, I'd make a Florence + the Machine pin with Dog Days are Over multi-ball!

Just sayin.
    faz

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

we took a Lion, then added a Man to him?

Which would be pulling up the rear?

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

A music pin that lets you drop in your own theme. Thus, you can add any song, drop in artwork that you create. Toys that can be pulled and replaced with another toy. Meaning the the feed to the toy could be a lamp or a solenoid.
    Modder's can go crazy to create custom toys.
    Personally, I'd make a Florence + the Machine pin with Dog Days are Over multi-ball!
    Just sayin.
    faz

I like it.

And actually, this could be something cool for large artists. I mean, it won't happen this way with a big company because it would take away the exclusivity of a being a band with a licensed pin... But, imagine an indie pin company coming along and making a "bare bones" pin specifically for customization that well known artists who otherwise wouldn't have a pin could license themselves to sell to their fans. Especially with 3D printing becoming more mainstream in the near future, this could be really cool.

So basically, your idea, but the bands are in control. Ryan Adams' would probably be amazing.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

A music pin that lets you drop in your own theme.

And this is what dreams are made of when all the recent music pins are themed after somebody's grandpa.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Which would be pulling up the rear?

If the lead scientist is Tom Six, I don't really care to know the details on that.

#32 8 years ago

What innovated ideas would you incorporate into a Pinball Machine?

A NEW LOWER PRICE !!!!!!!!!!!

#33 8 years ago

Millenials love experiences. Amazing with all the super hero/ tv themes in the last few years we don't have a LCD on either side of cab walls (today it's Decals or Pin blades) this effect could simulate movement or simply enhance game including as scene changes but still not disrupt play field.
    Add in ability to upload and personalize the same displays on the screen while you play, your favorite quotes, life's abilition blah blah blah and you sir have an audience.
    Integrate a trendy micro brew or wine tap into the cabinet and you have an LE.

#34 8 years ago

Getting LCD displays in all future production games and in Aprons would be great along as long as they are utilizing them to their potential with high graphic games in video modes that award and unlock different things during the game. This concept is nothing new, I just don't know that I've seen an updated version of it. WOZ had that incredible display in the back box, but it's really only used as a display. Heighway has two screens so I'm not sure if that has video modes??

That would be cool to see the whole back box used as a display/ video game in video mode like the virtual pins, but maybe cost prohibitive. It's still pinball, but I't would draw the younger generation and add depth..

#35 8 years ago

Blue tooth connectivity so I can hook my wireless headphones up and swap pins easily...could also play on location finally with high volume..

#36 8 years ago

Here's a similar thread with some very cool ideas

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfid-chips-in-pinballs

#37 8 years ago

Original IP

#38 8 years ago

Black Hole 3000: I would like to see a lower-level playfield with a transparent OLED Display.
    When you are playing on the regular PF the glass acts as a LCD monitor - and the lower part is in the dark.
    When you are playing the lower PF the monitor is off and the glass transparent enough to play. Might require stronger lightning - light transmission is not 100%.

#39 8 years ago

Take advantage of the full LCD screen in the backbox (WoZ, TH...) to implement a video mode which would be a vertical virtual pinball, Banzai Run-like. This one is easy to implement.

#40 8 years ago

How about an easier/automatic way for a game to be leveled?

I always find leveling games to be an incredible pain.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Make sure there's at least two.

#42 8 years ago

Simple software based innovation I'd love to see:

The ability to select different game difficulties for multiplayer (to give the better player a handicap, and make the match more competitive).

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

How about an easier/automatic way for a game to be leveled?
    I always find leveling games to be an incredible pain.

It wouldn't be too hard to take this is step further and after it is base-leveled to a normal starting position, have the difficulty step up automatically by increasing the angle to speed up gameplay.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And this is what dreams are made of when all the recent music pins are themed after somebody's grandpa.

Serious about one music pin to rule them all. Honestly, it's an easy out for Stern to create yet another music pin that all have the same basic elements. Let's get back to original themes or at least more diverse licensed themes. Sure, a "The Who", "CCR" would be nice but do we really need a full production of Justin Bieber just because. Let the fans create their own one offs.

Given Stern has started creating layers of levels with optional mods and optional toppers it feels like they might be leaning that way too. Lots of mods, mix and match.

I guess it does not matter for me. I can't justify $8K for a machine.... I'm slowly getting priced out of the hobby.
    faz

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

I guess it does not matter for me. I can't justify $8K for a machine.... I'm slowly getting priced out of the hobby.
    faz

There's still plenty of $500 EM's out there...just sayin'

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Simple software based innovation I'd love to see:
    The ability to select different game difficulties for multiplayer (to give the better player a handicap, and make the match more competitive).

Multimorphic's P3 has this.

#47 8 years ago

I always thought a variable pitch playfield during gameplay would be slick.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

There's still plenty of $500 EM's out there...just sayin'

Totally want to get a few. But I need to thin the herd first.

Bally Star Trek and Catacomb are first on the block. Need to get some time to make sure both are 100% before I list them.
    faz

#49 8 years ago

I've written all of my ideas here:

http://www.pecos-softwareworks.com/OXO_and_XOX.shtml

My First Pinball Design, XOX – Part 2 of 2

No playfield switches - Real-time video pinball tracking
    Standardization using PC to replace MPU, Sound Card and Power Supply and USB standardized parts.
    Many more.

These are state of the art design changes that would save a lot of money in the manufacture of pinball machines.

#50 8 years ago

How about the grand champion gets to keep the pinball as its vended next to the coin slot...LOL a Pinball souvenir. Because Pinballs are cool!

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-innovated-ideas-would-you-incorporate-into-a-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.