(Topic ID: 223740)

What influence does your WIFE or Partner have on your pinball hobby?

By frankmac

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Where do you stand.”

• Wife calls the shots. 11 votes
    7%
  • I do what I want. 120 votes
    71%
  • We are the Bonnie and Clyde of pinball purchases. 37 votes
    22%

(168 votes)

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Does you wife call the shots on your pinball budget?

Do you just bring games home a beeg for forgiveness?

I would like to know how others have it at there homes.?

#2 5 years ago

Thank you for the "I do what I want" option in the poll.

#3 5 years ago

She doesn’t divorce me, so I’d call that a big win!

We are blessed with disposable income enough not to have to worry about finances too much. I manage our money and investments, and savings, etc. she .. tries to manage her credit card, but takes care of a lot of
The house stuff, getting our kid to places on time, scheduling camps when he’s out of school (we both work). Not really any other participation. I really wish she was into it, but not so much. I even bought her favorite game Scared Stiff, she has played it twice. Time to get IMDN

#4 5 years ago

Need a "look at our budget to see if a pinball purchase makes sense given our current financial situation and rationally discuss" option.

#5 5 years ago

I tell her how it is, that’s it. Uh, oh, I gotta go.....

#6 5 years ago

My wife shakes her head every time the box shows up.

Me: I got a good deal.

Wife: Sure you did.

Then it’s off to the basement.

Love it.

Sometimes I get a comments like:

“Another one”or “You have a problem”

How many do you need?? Ha Ha..

#7 5 years ago

I’m extremely fortunate, she lets me do what I want and even has driven across the country to pick up pins.

#8 5 years ago

She actually encourages me to get more games and wants me to put an addition on to the gameroom. I'm actually the one deciding to slow down the acquisitions lately. It's weird...I know.

#9 5 years ago

My wife is just as involved in the hobby as I am. We both agreed to a pinball budget that we both follow. She'll sometimes find a deal for a pin or a mod, I'll do the same.

#10 5 years ago

We both love pinball, We often joke about how we literally work to support our pinball addiction... We currently have deadpool LE and Monster Bash LE on pre order and couldn't be happier. Haha

#11 5 years ago

As much as I can fit in the basement for space

#12 5 years ago

I've only been married for 3 months. We own one machine with hopes of adding another. But she is the bread winner in our family by a good margin. For that reason, among others, I'm likely going to talk to her about any future purchases when it comes to pinball. She loves the Beatles though. I'm hoping that when she hears about that game, it becomes her idea to get the game.

#13 5 years ago

she puts the pedal to the metal and encourages the chaos!

#14 5 years ago

I'm the breadwinner in my family but I keep myself on a strict pinball budget and she does not get worked up because she knows the money is not more than we have budgeted.

#15 5 years ago

Wife? Not having one is the reason I have what I have. I carry 100% of the vote in my household.

#16 5 years ago

My wife is the one that actually got me back into playing pins. She was fine with my lower dollar purchases of older games. Which was fine for a while. When I started getting more high dollar newer pins she wasn't too pleased. Luckily I'm at the point where I can sell of a few lower dollar pins to buy what ever high dollar game I want. We don't have a lot of extra money laying around so have no problem understanding her not wanting me to drop 5 to 7G out of our bank account to buy a new game. I'm just glad she puts up with my addiction.

#17 5 years ago

My concubine ( I love that word lol)is like "your addicted to that damn Pinside and the silver ball" and I am like "yeaaaaaa baby" She is not into any of my games at all. I keep telling her its like my little nest egg and its an investment but she is not buying it lol I am trying to limit myself to one man cave purchase per year but so many good titles out there it is hard to stay disciplined and only get one.

#18 5 years ago

We play a lot of pinball together. She doesn’t always like what I like, so I try to find pins that she likes too. It’s a lot better for your marriage when you can agree on things.

#19 5 years ago

Luckily, I married an amazing woman and she supports my pinball hobby and even enjoys it sometimes herself. She is the one that pushed us toward getting a Guardians pin, she loves the Marvel movies and knew we had to have it since I liked it too.

#20 5 years ago

My wife loves pinball and plays in a league. She was a little upset I sold the SF2 last week but only required a little bit of convincing considering we want to buy an AFMrLE in the near future.

She's like me and see's the bigger picture. I consider myself very lucky.

#21 5 years ago

As long as I don't try and put any more in the dining room, my wife doesn't care.

#22 5 years ago

I've sold my MM and NGG and my wife wasn't happy about it. we have 21 games and she won't let me sell any...great that she's a hoarder on pins!

#23 5 years ago

She's totally involved from picking out the next game, break down, loading up, restoration, & then to beating my ass on PoTC daily. She's all in.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

As long as I don't try and put any more in the dining room, my wife doesn't care.

That's too funny as I actually did have one in my dining room for awhile before the games room in the basement was finished. Somehow most women don't see the aviance of all those blinking lights when your having candle light dinner - just don't need any candles I say -

#25 5 years ago

He likes playing with me and helps me lug around all of my pins and get them set up. I decide on my own if I’m buying a new pin or not. So it works out quite well for me.

#26 5 years ago

Something isn't adding up. The pole only shows a few % of wives call the shots however I've heard people use that excuse a lot more often.

#27 5 years ago

My pins are her argument for her to buy expensive purses and shoes. What can I do?

#28 5 years ago

A few months ago we had all the machines lit-up and were playing (my wife does not like playing against anyone because she doesn't like to wait her turn - she plays one for a while and moves to another...) and after a while my wife said, "I think we need a Creature right there."

#29 5 years ago

She enjoys the hobby about half as much as I do, she enjoys playing and even helps decorate the game room, but supports me 100%

#30 5 years ago

Charlie at Seattle Pinball Museum asked her about the 10 pins in my living room, She replied, "What Pinballs."

#31 5 years ago

When we dated (over 4 decades ago), we'd go to a local arcade and play pinball, so we've always enjoyed it. Perhaps because of that, it's much more enjoyable if we have games we both like, so it is a joint decision.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

That's too funny as I actually did have one in my dining room for awhile before the games room in the basement was finished. Somehow most women don't see the aviance of all those blinking lights when your having candle light dinner - just don't need any candles I say -

I'm in the exact same position. I'm still working on the basement so I had to throw one in the dining room. I came home with another machine a few weeks ago and she gave me crap because she thought I should have been spending money on flooring for the basement. "I couldn't pass it up honey, it was a great deal!".

I believe her response was something like "You're not putting that damn thing in the dining room".

#33 5 years ago

She has no input into what I do with pinball, she has no interest. That being said she is not going to miss an opportunity to spend when she has the chance.

P.S. Why is there never just normal answer in a poll?

#34 5 years ago

My fiancée Veronika is a Russian immigrant. She has been in America since 1990. Even though she did not play pinball growing up she loves that I like it.

I asked her once how many pinballs we should ultimately have, some day.

I was thinking four she said, twenty.

I'll go with twenty!

#35 5 years ago

My wife hates it and doesn't understand it. She grew up in Taiwan never doing anything other than school work and still doesn't know how to enjoy herself. For a brief period of time she did but then postpartum depression kicked in 6 years ago and never left.

#36 5 years ago

She has been crazy supportive and recognizes I'm not going to put pinball above the more important things in life. I ask her before making any purchase. I've also set my limit at six. That is realistically all that will look good in my space. Now, I'm just trying to convince neighbors they need machines.

#37 5 years ago

Every machine I've bought I've talked to her about. I've never just came home with another machine. I would never make a high dollar purchase without talking to her first, just like she wouldn't do the same to me. That said, I've been able to get every machine I wanted so far.

#38 5 years ago

She has no real say in any of it. i would be happy to involve her more, but she is not big on playing that much and just likes that it keeps me occupied.

#39 5 years ago

Thanks for taking time to comment on this.

It is very interesting and helpful..

Cheers ^^
Frank.

#40 5 years ago

We don't have a ton of disposable income and live comfortably, but my pinball fund comes from flipping other games. Started with $100 Raven 6 years ago and I have worked my way up to a Tron, TSPP, and a DE ST. Because of this she has never really cared about me buying new games.

#41 5 years ago

She would like me to stop buying shit!!!!

Not going to happen

#42 5 years ago

My wife isn't exactly on the same page, but in her defense I do go overboard with pretty much everything ever. I'm "allowed" two in the house, gentlemans agreement, so I just find other places to keep them. My parents, brother, and in-laws all benefit from my shenanigans, but to be fair, we do have very limited space.

#43 5 years ago

I guess I am on the luckier side of things. She completely supports my addiction, right up to the door between the garage game room, and the house. Definitely have to watch the budget, so keep it under control by being a LEP (Low End Pinman) with older EM's which are my second love (after her) anyway. I also flip games occasionally to help pay for the hobby. Even keep a spread sheet so can show I am working toward getting to even on the financial out go vs in flow, which helps sometimes when I want to stretch the budget for that "great deal" game.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

My wife hates it and doesn't understand it. She grew up in Taiwan never doing anything other than school work and still doesn't know how to enjoy herself. For a brief period of time she did but then postpartum depression kicked in 6 years ago and never left.

And now I'm depressed too after reading this....tmi

#45 5 years ago

I call her "The handbrake"

#46 5 years ago

******* Whip Crack Noise *******

#47 5 years ago

Im starting to feel like my wife wants a new pin everytime I get one for myself. Pretty sure she has me on the hook for a Spacejam and JJPOTC now...

#48 5 years ago

Nothing, basement and garage are all mine.

#49 5 years ago

Pinballgoddess would kill me if I flipped her WOZ or the hobbiit.

Right now she's addicted to Houdini lol.

#50 5 years ago

My husband supports my hobby and enjoys playing all of our games. Doesn’t care when I buy, sell and trade.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.99
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-influence-does-you-wife-or-partner-have-on-your-pinball-hobby?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.