(Topic ID: 249850)

What income level affords you the ability to collect pins?

By okgrak

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Annual Household income level”

• Under $60K 49 votes
      16%
    • between $60K and $120K 73 votes
      24%
    • between $120K and $250K 104 votes
      34%
    • between $250K and $350K 25 votes
      8%
    • between $350K and $600K 28 votes
      9%
    • over $600K 29 votes
      9%

(308 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1A01E36A-F3D4-413C-A17C-356F408DF7B3 (resized).jpeg
    tenor (1).gif
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

This idea was spawned from another thread about what people do to afford pins, but I thought it would be interesting to create a poll. People here to seem to cover a wide demographic swath, with various collection sizes. It's certainly an expensive hobby, but not so much that it's prohibitive for many to own a machine. This might give some insight into market pricing.

I understand this might be controversial, but the results for polls are anonymous. I realize this is just a small sample of Pinside users ( who probably skew more hardcore hobbyist than the average pin owner ). It probably makes sense to only submit a response if you own or have owned machine(s).

Thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

I hope this doesn't turn into a "whose bank account is larger" thread with folks touting their disposable income they can drop on overpriced games just because they can. A poll I will pass on, thanks.

#3 4 years ago

I started collecting at 14 and my income from my job was $175/month. No living expenses helps

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I hope this doesn't turn into a "whose bank account is larger" thread with folks touting their disposable income they can drop on overpriced games just because they can. A poll I will pass on, thanks.

No one can see what anyone else submitted, so I don’t see how it can turn into that outside of maybe a few outliers who feel this is a place to brag. Let’s hope it doesn’t get there.

#5 4 years ago

It all depends on what you're willing to do without.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from midcoastsurf:

I started collecting at 14 and my income from my job was $175/month. No living expenses helps

This. Its not what you make its what you keep! Disposable income is what matters most.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It all depends on what you're willing to do without.

True. But this will show how the collectors here match up against the Us distribution.

#8 4 years ago

Not sure what the point of this is? How much money you make is really irrelevant, you’re either willing to spend some of your money on pins or you’re not.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

No one can see what anyone else submitted, so I don’t see how it can turn into that outside of maybe a few outliers who feel this is a place to brag.

Having met dozens of Pinsider's and other collectors I'd venture to guess most are under the 150K level. Plenty below $80K, depends where you live and your priorities in life.

#10 4 years ago

it all depends on how much work you are willing to do. pristine games are worth more projects are cheap but can be made valuable again to be sold to buy more expensive projects or quality games

#11 4 years ago

No one will or should be honest here. Someone making $40k can have more money saved and buy more pins then a guy making $140k who lives beyond his means and saves nothing. I like what my cousins friend, a financial adviser, said to him while they looked at a new subdivision of massive homes "this is where all the poor people live" lol. Also, just doesn't seem cool to ask what someone's income level is.

#12 4 years ago

Income has nothing to do with number of pins. I have one pin and could easily buy more. However, my interest and money are in other areas.

#13 4 years ago

my first game cost $100

#14 4 years ago

Another dumb poll - who cares what your income is nor should we judge those that have either 1 pin or 30. This looks like another one of these dick measuring contests to see who has the biggest one. So sad what Pinside is turning into with some of these topics.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Income has nothing to do with number of pins. I have one pin and could easily buy more. However, my interest and money are in other areas.

Income probably has something to do with number of pins. It’s probably the number one correlative factor.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:Another dumb poll - who cares what your income is nor should we judge those that have either 1 pin or 30. This looks like another one of these dick measuring contests to see who has the biggest one. So sad what Pinside is turning into with some of these topics.

I fail to see who is judging anyone here. It’s an anonymous poll. The only dick measuring would be holding your own dick in a dark room where no one can see you.

If no one else sees any value in this kind of data to better understand the pinball collector community then I guess my assumption was wrong.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Income probably has something to do with number of pins. It’s probably the number one correlative factor.

Right, income clearly isn’t the full story. There are a multitude of other factors, but income is still a huge and significant part of the story.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Causality does not equal correlation. I have met a bunch of folks and see people talk on here that have more pins then they should probably afford. Sure, more money allows you to buy more pins but a lot of folks on here are addicted and will forego other things to buy pins.

#19 4 years ago

I just don't get these either. Do you really care how much everyone makes or do you just like having a thread to draw attention? I just don't see why anyone would even care to know what is being asked. Unless it is someone trying to show off how much they make, which I don't get either.

#20 4 years ago

Depends when you started collecting. They were MUCH more affordable 20 years ago. Also depends on how much work you want to spend fixing and cleaning games so you can pick up cheaper games. Also, you don't need to have a collector quality collection either. A great playing game with wear, bumps and bruises is just as fun.

#21 4 years ago

Otaku needs to weigh in here , that dudes got collecting skills

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I just don't get these either. Do you really care how much everyone makes or do you just like having a thread to draw attention? I just don't see why anyone would even care to know what is being asked. Unless it is someone trying to show off how much they make, which I don't get either.

I could care less what anyone makes here. This a poll for average data, not individual reporting per user. It’s completely anonymous and 20 posts in not one person has attempted to even remotely show off anything.

#23 4 years ago

This thread is basically meaningless. We’ve seen reports that a large majority of the country couldn’t afford an unexpected bill of $500.

We know that a lot of people driving monster trucks and “living large” are in debt up to their eyeballs. They have no savings for their retirement or their kids college.

A lot of people that appear to be living large are in deep shit, they’re just prolonging it and probably hoping for a govt. bailout or loan forgiveness at some point. Or they’ll declare bankruptcy. And dollars to donuts most of these shitheads are “conservative” and yet counting on social security and Medicare to save their ass.

Of course, the pinball hobby has no shortage of rich motherfuckers. God bless them. I guess.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This thread is basically meaningless. We’ve seen reports that a large majority of the country couldn’t afford an unexpected bill of $500.
    We know that a lot of people driving monster trucks and “living large” are in debt up to their eyeballs. They have no savings for their retirement or their kids college.
    A lot of people that appear to be living large are in deep shit, they’re just prolonging it and probably hoping for a govt. bailout or loan forgiveness at some point. Or they’ll declare bankruptcy. And dollars to donuts most of these shitheads are “conservative” and yet counting on social security and Medicare to save their ass.
    Of course, the pinball hobby has no shortage of rich motherfuckers. God bless them. I guess.

While I agree with a lot of this, it’s hard to argue against income level being a significant driver in how much people are willing to spend on hobbies.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

I could care less what anyone makes here. This a poll for average data, not individual reporting per user. It’s completely anonymous and 20 posts in not one person has attempted to even remotely show off anything.

I get that, but why do you care?

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And dollars to donuts most of these shitheads are “conservative” and yet counting on social security and Medicare to save their ass.

Tell us how you really feel.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No one will or should be honest here. Someone making $40k can have more money saved and buy more pins then a guy making $140k who lives beyond his means and saves nothing. I like what my cousins friend, a financial adviser, said to him while they looked at a new subdivision of massive homes "this is where all the poor people live" lol. Also, just doesn't seem cool to ask what someone's income level is.

Yep.. i don't make a ton of money but am very smart with it and live well within my means. I have older cars, simple house , no kids and i also buy my pins smart and have never really lost money on any i have bought and sold.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I get that, but why do you care?

Curiousity. Data can sometimes tell an interesting story. Impossible to know without it. Maybe I’m on an island here, but it looks like many users are taking the poll and have some interest in this.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

While I agree with a lot of this, it’s hard to argue against income level being a significant driver in how much people are willing to spend on hobbies.

If that is really what you want to figure out, you need two series of data: Income and number of pins owned. You are not going to be able to draw any meaningful conclusions without this correlated data. As it is, all you can tell is income, not correlation of income to pins owned.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

If that is really what you want to figure out, you need two series of data: Income and number of pins owned. You are not going to be able to draw any meaningful conclusions without this correlated data. As it is, all you can tell is income, not correlation of income to pins owned.

Well I agree and thought of that, but there was no way to do that complex of a poll without giving of ton of options. I wanted this to be a constructive conversation and this is the kind of feedback I expected....

#31 4 years ago

What kind of brackets are these??? $60k increments??? When you are making over $250k, your question becomes irrelevant to 98% of the population given the price of pins. It should have looked like this...

0-49k
    50-74k
    75-100k
    101-150k
    151-250k
    251k+

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

Well I agree and thought of that, but there was no way to do that complex of a poll without giving of ton of options. I wanted this to be a constructive conversation and this is the kind of feedback I expected....

Can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Put me down for 1 pin I bought 20 years ago for 700 bucks. I live in Annapolis MD, so will allow you to interpret that however you like for income levels.

#33 4 years ago

Five and a half inches.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : Sorry : Wrong thread.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

What kind of brackets are these??? $60k increments??? When you are making over $250k, your question becomes irrelevant to 98% of the population given the price of pins. It should have looked like this...
    0-49k
    50-74k
    75-100k
    101-150k
    151-250k
    251k+

60k is the medium income for the USA. After that I tried to pick representative brackets that fit the income distribution curve which shoots up after 250k.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Depends when you started collecting. They were MUCH more affordable 20 years ago.

This is true but it also depends on what stage of your life you were in too. 20 years ago, 1,000 bucks might as well have been a million dollars to me.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Five and a half inches.
    LTG : )
    Disclaimer : Sorry : Wrong thread.

From the ground?

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

From the ground?

Around?

#39 4 years ago

Owning pins is not that expensive. Pay a fair price and the market may go up or down, but you usually wind up breaking even. It is better than a savings account because you can play pinball!

If you buy NIB or higher end pins you risk more, but still not as expensive as many hobbies.

#40 4 years ago

I voted considerably high but that is my situation.

Too many factors:

Where do you live?
    Do you have a family?
    Do you have other hobbies?

If I didn’t have kids and didn’t live in California it would be considerably lower. Just the cost of my kid’s education for one year is more than all my pins. Personal choice but one My wife and I have made.

If you don’t have kids, I think you can definitely be rolling in the 60k-120k and really rolling on the top end of that if you are not in California or similar state.

#41 4 years ago

11% of people make over 600k? Is this a case where people that don't make that much didn't bother voting? I'm not sure I know anyone that makes 600k. I'll vote and knock the average down a bit. I agree that the brackets are a little silly, as is the concept. I've owned high end guitars since my teens, and was super broke until my early 30's. I'm doing ok now, but don't own many more high end guitars. If this was a guitar forum the data would be skewed. I also owned a handful of pins when I was super broke. I've always found ways to acquire the things I really want.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

11% of people make over 600k? Is this a case where people that don't make that much didn't bother voting? I'm not sure I know anyone that makes 600k. I'll vote and knock the average down a bit. I agree that the brackets are a little silly, as is the concept. I've owned high end guitars since my teens, and was super broke until my early 30's. I'm doing ok now, but don't own many more high end guitars. If this was a guitar forum the data would be skewed. I also owned a handful of pins when I was super broke. I've always found ways to acquire the things I really want.

I would wait for more results to come in, but keep in mind that’s household total income.

#43 4 years ago

I make $10 a year. Have 10 machines and don't know how to adjust the pricing settings.

Only get to play each machine once a year, kinda sucks - will start a gofundme soon

#44 4 years ago

I earn $16 an hour which is a lot better than the $2.50 an hour I started out at.

I have owned 100s of pinball machines and currently own about 25.

I will admit these 24 hour work weeks just to live in California are killing me.

#45 4 years ago

In the end, it's all going to burn anyway. How you treat people during your life and where you are headed in the afterlife is much more important.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

I would wait for more results to come in, but keep in mind that’s household total income.

I screwed up then. I voted for my personal income. It's 3/4 of the household income and the wife's income has no impact on my toys, so it makes no difference.

#47 4 years ago

I think net worth is more important than income level, so instead of spending try saving and investing. Check out the book the Millionaire Next Door. It illustrates working people that save and invest whatever their income can accomplish amazing things. It's an awesome read.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

In the end, it's all going to burn anyway. How you treat people during your life and where you are headed in the afterlife is much more important.

Is that like all we are is dust in the wind?

Hey, you never know. That Kansas pinball machine might be just around the corner.

#49 4 years ago

I have volume ceilings in my home just in case Shaq ever comes over and decides to do jumping jacks in my living room and you know what? It takes a complete secondary hvac system just to heat and cool said ceilings and the only thing that lives up there is my ego.

That’s how much $$ I make...

#50 4 years ago

I have a more important question than income

When the whip cream can runs out do you toss it in the trash immediately or do you go into the garage real quick & do a whip-it?

Asking for a friend

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-income-level-affords-you-the-ability-to-collect-pins?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.