New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 249850)

What income level affords you the ability to collect pins?

By okgrak

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by lpeters82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Annual Household income level”

• Under $60K 45 votes
      16%
    • between $60K and $120K 70 votes
      25%
    • between $120K and $250K 92 votes
      33%
    • between $250K and $350K 21 votes
      8%
    • between $350K and $600K 23 votes
      8%
    • over $600K 28 votes
      10%

(279 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1A01E36A-F3D4-413C-A17C-356F408DF7B3 (resized).jpeg
    tenor (1).gif

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

My income level has not changed one bit in the 10 or so years since I started collecting

At the time of the arson fire that claimed my collection, I had recently moved out of Texas , I sold 6pins before moving, kept 7 irrc, one survived

I then walked away for 6 years, since that fire I've bought exactly. 2 pins, one recently, I'm about to buy more projects

I guess what I'm trying to say here is the market has changed, prices are higher, it's harder to find pins now with more competition which has led to higher prices

The idea that income has no bearing on collecting seems foolish

I've owned exactly 1 elite or A list PIN

Because I have to be cautious , I do not have tons of disposable income because I prioritize my family first

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

This idea was spawned from another thread about what people do to afford pins, but I thought it would be interesting to create a poll. People here to seem to cover a wide demographic swath, with various collection sizes. It's certainly an expensive hobby, but not so much that it's prohibitive for many to own a machine. This might give some insight into market pricing.
    I understand this might be controversial, but the results for polls are anonymous. I realize this is just a small sample of Pinside users ( who probably skew more hardcore hobbyist than the average pin owner ). It probably makes sense to only submit a response if you own or have owned machine(s).
    Thoughts?

I buy and sell cool stuff and collectibles on the side to pay for my pins. When it comes to pins I buy low and sell higher (but also below market value) to pass on a good deal and make a little more cash for my next game. My household income doesn't come into play at all, I don't use any of our 9-5 normal income for my pins or arcade games and I have never bought a pin I didn't have the money to pay cash for. It takes some patience some times, but I don't feel I have missed out on anything. I've gotten every pin I've really wanted except for JJP Pirates at this point and I could make a trade to get that one right now if I wanted to. You don't need to be rich or make a ton of money to collect pins, that's a cop out IMHO. if you aren't dripping in cash you need initiative and drive to go out and get what you want and that can be hard, but if you want it you can make it happen.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

While I agree with a lot of this, it’s hard to argue against income level being a significant driver in how much people are willing to spend on hobbies.

Tell that to a junkie or a gambling addict.

#54 1 year ago

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I buy and sell cool stuff and collectibles on the side to pay for my pins. When it comes to pins I buy low and sell higher (but also below market value) to pass on a good deal and make a little more cash for my next game. My household income doesn't come into play at all, I don't use any of our 9-5 normal income for my pins or arcade games and I have never bought a pin I didn't have the money to pay cash for. It takes some patience some times, but I don't feel I have missed out on anything. I've gotten every pin I've really wanted except for JJP Pirates at this point and I could make a trade to get that one right now if I wanted to. You don't need to be rich or make a ton of money to collect pins, that's a cop out IMHO. if you aren't dripping in cash you need initiative and drive to go out and get what you want and that can be hard, but if you want it you can make it happen.

Exactly right.

I have seen pinballs for free, and some asking 50k.

I have seen millionaires with 1 pin and an income-challenged retiree with 50.

The answers to this question are varied.
    Here are the questions that matter:

What do you value?
    How much of your disposable income are you willing to spend?
    Will you be buying NIB, a project, or something in-between?
    Are you willing to fix and repair games?
    What timeline do you have to buy a game(1 every month or 1 every 20 years)?
    Are you willing to scour the earth for a deal, or do you just buy the first pin that comes along?
    Do you comparison shop?

While your income certainly can have some affect, the questions above are far more intuitive into one's personal penchant for pinball perusing.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Five and a half inches.
    LTG : )
    Disclaimer : Sorry : Wrong thread.

I think you are after the public restroom thread
    Now that was a good thread!

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Another dumb poll - who cares what your income is nor should we judge those that have either 1 pin or 30. This looks like another one of these dick measuring contests to see who has the biggest one. So sad what Pinside is turning into with some of these topics.

ill say that im Ron Jeremy if anybody asks!!!

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Exactly right.
    The answers to this question are varied.
    Here are the questions that matter:
    What do you value?
    How much of your disposable income are you willing to spend?
    Will you be buying NIB, a project, or something in-between?
    Are you willing to fix and repair games?
    What timeline do you have to buy a game(1 every month or 1 every 20 years)?
    Are you willing to scour the earth for a deal, or do you just buy the first pin that comes along?
    Do you comparison shop?
    While your income certainly can have some affect, the questions above are far more intuitive into one's personal penchant for pinball perusing.

All great points, when you have a family their needs always come first, which makes collecting an exercise in creativity meets perseverance, I turn over every rock, like you I network, horse trade , whatever accomplishes the goal (in a fair Manor)

Not everyone has to do this though, everyone has different lifestyles and interests, disposable income levels

I just work harder ...

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Exactly right.

^this
    A poll like this hardly tells much of a story.
    You could ask the same question in regards to travel or some other topic.
    Geez, I don't know. Are we talking about travel as vacations to exotic locales? I could be poor and take out a loan for something like that, or on the flip side, perhaps a drive to my local park is considered travel and that's what I like to do even though I make 6 figures.....and so on.

#61 1 year ago

This poll is useless. From personal experience I find that people with lots of money don’t talk about all the money they have. And people that don’t have money will inflate what they actually have to make themselves look better. Nobody likes telling others how poor they are.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

This poll is useless. From personal experience I find that people with lots of money don’t talk about all the money they have. And people that don’t have money will inflate what they actually have to make themselves look better. Nobody likes telling others how poor they are.

Why would you do that in an anonymous poll? There's no one to look better towards other than yourself because nobody else will see it. What would be the point? To skew the data on some obscure online poll on a pinball site?

IMO this poll is harmless. I'm leery of its usefulness, but it's completely harmless. I chose to answer along with a couple hundred other folks. Life will go on.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Why would you do that in an anonymous poll? There's no one to look better towards other than yourself because nobody else will see it. What would be the point? To skew the data on some obscure online poll on a pinball site?
    IMO this poll is harmless. I'm leery of its usefulness, but it's completely harmless. I chose to answer along with a couple hundred other folks. Life will go on.

I see your point and could of gone on with other examples of why I said that but just got tired and left it that. But the income question isn’t always a factor of why someone has a huge collection. Someone that’s rich could have one pin and travel the world for months at a time because that’s more important to them vs a someone with ten pins living in a one bedroom apartment that wants to play pinball and eat ramen everyday. I just think the poll doesn’t tell the whole story is all. But I do agree with you that it’s a harmless question.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I see your point and could of gone on with other examples of why I said that but just got tired and left it that. But the income question isn’t always a factor of why someone has a huge collection. Someone that’s rich could have one pin and travel the world for months at a time because that’s more important to them vs a someone with ten pins living in a one bedroom apartment that wants to play pinball and eat ramen everyday. I just think the poll doesn’t tell the whole story is all. But I do agree with you that it’s a harmless question.

I created this poll and also agree it doesn't tell the whole story. There is no way to accurately do that. This is simple a sample set that tells a small part of the narrative. Many people have participated here and told how income doesn't effect them in terms of buying pins, but it's hard to argue that having more disposable income doesn't effect people's buying decisions.

#65 1 year ago

My first game cost me $1200. I bought it in 1998. I sold it two years later for $1800. I did the same for the last 20 years, and have not put any "outside" money into the hobby since, always upgrading, trading, selling, buying. I currently have a NIB AFMr and a pristine WCS 94 and several other vintage arcade machines. All paid for with that original $1200 investment. Fun.

#66 1 year ago

Any income bracket can get into pinball. If you are patient and good at searching you can still find great deals. The games I have gotten for less than $500 alone would make a great collection. whirlwind, eight ball deluxe X 2, black knight, space shuttle, skateball, mousin around, jurassic park, bad cats, diner, and many others i'm sure I have forgot about. That does not include the great EMs I have got for practically nothing.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Any income bracket can get into pinball

Damn straight!

Even when I worked as a paperboy and got stiffed by the last few deadbeats on my route, I was still able to muster up enough money for a Baskin Robbins shake and had enough dimes and quarters left to play pinball.

#68 1 year ago

I think it has more to do with how you spend your money than how much you make.

My car cost me less than a pinball when I bought it and 4 years later it’s worth even less but probably good to go for 10 more years

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I think it has more to do with how you spend your money than how much you make.

My car cost me less than a pinball when I bought it and 4 years later it’s worth even less but probably good to go for 10 more years

Yes.
    I would rather have less income and make do with what I have and do things for myself, then have high income, pay all those taxes, buy a new car just to have a new car, and pay others to do things that I can take care of myself. I find I have a lot more free time that way. And am not envious in any way of those that slave away for the mighty dollar.

#70 1 year ago

I feed my kids bread and water and spend the extra money on pinball

#71 1 year ago

I understand the question and poll.

Too many games these days are overpriced.

Where I am - not as bad as our mates down under - pinball games are few and far between, and even less so for a good price.

I've had to learn how to become my own electronics repair man through independent study and also through pinsiders. I've had to learn how to be my own cabinet repairman through friends and pinball and home repair sites. I've had to learn how to be my own playfield restoration man through pinside and others.

I have many games - too many my wife (and others) would say - but they all have a purpose. I hope

Income certainly plays a large part in finding games, and purchasing them, at the right time and place. I've spent much time and effort purchasing and importing games to my location, and have learned much about remote coaching on preparing a pin for shipment as well as having alternate shippers for pick up and delivery to me.

I'd say the best thing you can do is to, in your mind, come up with a maximum amount of games you'll want to have.

Then build up that bankroll, buy what's on your list - or close to it - with your ultimate goal of the games you want and the amount of games you can have your hands on when you want to play them.

You'll need to become your own repairman for your pins. Learn from here and other sources on what is needed and how to do it. Use that knowledge to trade up to your ultimate collection. Repaired/refurbished games are worth more than projects. Hint hint.

#72 1 year ago

I keep reading that no one will see or know the vote and find that assumption dead wrong.
    When we vote on a poll it clearly shows a little mark that shows how you voted, which is now on a server side of things for a public forum that someone can see what "Mr.Abc" had voted and if good enough connect the dots. Especially if you are the creator and holder of said server.
    Just saying that some valid points have been made about privacy of finances.
    I think the poll on this may be crossing the line but I never fill out "x" on surveys.

-Mike

#73 1 year ago

Dude you just posted your name and location. Prepare to get h4x0r3d.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I keep reading that no one will see or know the vote and find that assumption dead wrong.
    When we vote on a poll it clearly shows a little mark that shows how you voted, which is now on a server side of things for a public forum that someone can see what "Mr.Abc" had voted and if good enough connect the dots. Especially if you are the creator and holder of said server.
    Just saying that some valid points have been made about privacy of finances.
    I think the poll on this may be crossing the line but I never fill out "x" on surveys.
    -Mike

you should be far more worried what google have on you then a pinside poll lol (if that sort of thing bothers you)

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from russdx:

you should be far more worried what google have on you then a pinside poll lol (if that sort of thing bothers you)

True- gonna take a look and see what info is out there.
    -Mike

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I feed my kids bread and water and spend the extra money on pinball

or you can do this. LOL

#77 1 year ago

Do we only count money on the books?

Got some friends asking....

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

True- gonna take a look and see what info is out there.
    -Mike

There is a site i forgot the link that lets you download all the data they have on you. It's very interesting and quite scary lol.

1 year later
    #79 10 days ago

Flipping GNR pins

#80 10 days ago

For me it’s not so much about how much I make but the expenses I don’t have.

My mortgage is where most of my money goes.

No payments on vehicles, phone, internet, cable, student loan, boat, cabin, wife, kids, child support, alimony, palimony (yes, look it up) no credit card debt.

But it only takes one bad day for all of that to change in terms of health and job etc.

#81 10 days ago

I just use Ted Underhill's AMEX, want the number?

#82 9 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I just use Ted Underhill's AMEX, want the number?

I’m good.

#83 9 days ago
    Quoted from EJS:

For me it’s not so much about how much I make but the expenses I don’t have.
    My mortgage is where most of my money goes.
    No payments on vehicles, phone, internet, cable, student loan, boat, cabin, wife, kids, child support, alimony, palimony (yes, look it up) no credit card debt.
    But it only takes one bad day for all of that to change in terms of health and job etc.

Very similar here. I have no debt and claim all my expenses except food and beer as i live in my warehouse.

My pin collection is nearly complete in numbers, although i have spent on the 2 latest nib pins in Gunners and Avengers, i have only one or two spots left in my pinball sized carpeted area, so have told myself no more after that. I'll keep refining the collection, but the numbers will stay about the same.

So had to find another way to stop the kids getting my money and i take my first flying lesson today for a Light Spoirt Aircraft license. that should take care of the rest of my disposable

#84 9 days ago

I have a friend who makes 3 times what I do and he won't spend the money for a NIB pin, but has no issue dropping $15K for a boat or his other outdoor toys. And he is a coinop collector, he just can't wrap his head around that kinda money on a pin. I jump on deals and make trades and, until recently, was driving older vehicles, in order to build the collection. I also started in arcade games and had been talking about moving to pins exclusively for years and finally over the last couple of years, have done that. Only a few video games left and only one is staying.

#85 9 days ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I have a friend who makes 3 times what I do and he won't spend the money for a NIB pin, but has no issue dropping $15K for a boat or his other outdoor toys. And he is a coinop collector, he just can't wrap his head around that kinda money on a pin. I jump on deals and make trades and, until recently, was driving older vehicles, in order to build the collection. I also started in arcade games and had been talking about moving to pins exclusively for years and finally over the last couple of years, have done that. Only a few video games left and only one is staying.

which vid is staying? I have a Pole Position and a 3000 in 1 left.

#86 7 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

which vid is staying? I have a Pole Position and a 3000 in 1 left.

My Donkey Kong Jr with the Double Donkey Kong remix upgrade. I may keep my Galaxian as well, but if I get a nice offer on it, it could go. I have 2 non working Pole Position uprights. Who needs?

#87 7 days ago

I believe anyone with some disposable income can afford pinball. It’s all priority though. You can have a few EM games in your home and buy them over time. At $700-$1500 each you might choose to skip the family trip, or the weekly trip to the bar. There is no income requirement.

1A01E36A-F3D4-413C-A17C-356F408DF7B3 (resized).jpeg

Pic from pinballrepair.com for illustration purposes

#88 7 days ago

There seems to be two types of pinball collectors; those that have to own the latest,
    greatest most expensive pins. The other type are the ones that see value and get
    enjoyment from all types of pins AND either has, or has developed the skills to
    fix and restored project pins. This latter group can build a collection for a LOT
    less money than the first group.

#89 7 days ago

Pins hold their value pretty well in general, so for every bath you'll take, you'll likely make a profit somewhere else.My wife doesn't care, because the market for pins is brisk and collections of desirable games are easy to liquidate, if that ever has to be done. Think of a pin collection as a savings account you can play and enjoy.

#90 7 days ago

I started in 1997 buying a beat up Data East Simpsons for $1000. Cleaned it up, played it, sold it for $1500. Bought another machine, did the same. I have not put any outside money into this hobby since and I have bought two NIB games since then, all from that initial $1000 purchase.

#91 7 days ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Pins hold their value pretty well in general, so for every bath you'll take, you'll likely make a profit somewhere else.My wife doesn't care, because the market for pins is brisk and collections of desirable games are easy to liquidate, if that ever has to be done. Think of a pin collection as a savings account you can play and enjoy.

This is true, their value certainly holds well. Unlike a trip to Disney for example. A pinball machine retains value, so even if you spent $5000 and sold it 5 years later for $4200 it still about the cheapest hobby $net.

#92 7 days ago

Another way to ask this question: How would I start all over in this pinball market around the same time I started my first real job ( yes , I know you can start earlier ).

First I would start with non working but nice cosmetic condition EM's and Early SS's. In the EM area I would focus on 1960/1970's vintage Gottliebs. In the early SS's , most likely classic Sterns. As stated here, need to learn how to read schematics, learn how relay/contact logic works, learn basics about transistors, diodes,capacitors and simple transformers. Learn how to troubleshoot problems, LEARN HOW TO SOLDER (especially on boards) and spend time on the various websites on how games work /solving problems.

I would buy a non working , good cosmetic condition game, put it in a place I could work on it with good lighting and start the process of getting the game into working condition. Once I got the game up and running, invite over friends, get beverages of choice and set up matches. The older games are great for these type activities.

After a while either sell my now fully working game in nice condition for more money then I payed or buy a second game. Rinse,lather,repeat. I would build up my fleet that way. I would not worry about the three letters, NIB, until the bank account could support.

I am more fond of the games that I have found, rebuilt, than the ones I bought NIB. There is a lot of fun to be had in this hobby without spending money on the new shiny toy ( which of course I am now guilty of .

#93 7 days ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

very true, once my wife saw how easy they are to liquidate she backed off of my pin purchases. I usually make a few bucks on most of my purchases, but I stay away from NIB most of the time.

#94 7 days ago

I tried to purchase machines where I sew the best value. Starting out, the best for my buck seemed to be 90s era DMDs: Jurassic Park, Johnny Mnemonic, Fish Tales, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Shadow, Congo, and Star Trek: The Next Generation. In my first few years of collecting the price on those games nearly doubled, so I switched my focus to older games including: Solar Ride, Xenon, Pinbot, F-14, Gold Strike, and Hardbody. With the price of used games continuing to climb, I eventually got to the point where I thought the best value were newer games, so I picked up a fairly new Metallica (Premium), Total Nuclear Annihilation, and Attack From Mars (CE). I'd say I'm at the point now, where I'm less concerned with value and more just trying to swap out games that I haven't hand a chance to play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 219.00
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    COINTAKER.COM
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 8.99
    Electronics
    Dr. Dave's Pinball Parts
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 22.50
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Lighting - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 899.00
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside