(Topic ID: 219428)

What if during the 90s they themed pinball machines like they do now?

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zr11990
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dallas-theme (resized).jpg
    anigif_enhanced-6774-1428284634-2.gif
    07B641A9-CD2D-4F80-A911-4EFBDC73ED9F (resized).jpeg
    B1E59A91-AA29-4071-BFBC-816542682D98 (resized).jpeg
    puppet banner (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    23CDE174-1AD5-45B6-BB5B-ACF195EEE2C2 (resized).jpeg
    9482FF7B-7C89-4304-AC36-C6AA165B34C3.gif
    8161083029_fed7bfb8f4_c (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9A0A5C2B-BC77-4B32-9C48-2C3D552B3D90 (resized).jpeg
    2B190F0E-D56A-48B5-9B92-903180D47A6C (resized).jpeg
    7F19A802-8DF4-4256-BE5E-C07C1773EBB9 (resized).jpeg
    childs play (resized).jpg
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    2B190F0E-D56A-48B5-9B92-903180D47A6C (resized).jpeg2B190F0E-D56A-48B5-9B92-903180D47A6C (resized).jpeg7F19A802-8DF4-4256-BE5E-C07C1773EBB9 (resized).jpeg7F19A802-8DF4-4256-BE5E-C07C1773EBB9 (resized).jpeg
    #52 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And younger women!

Lol, reminded me of this....bunch of weirdos man.

9A0A5C2B-BC77-4B32-9C48-2C3D552B3D90 (resized).jpeg9A0A5C2B-BC77-4B32-9C48-2C3D552B3D90 (resized).jpeg

#53 5 years ago

Led Zeppelin and Honeymooners would have been big earners back in the 90s!

Sorry, but you're gonna have to wait till the 2020s for that Dazed and Confused movie though.

#54 5 years ago

Instead of Iron Maiden we would be arguing over the next rock hit between these 2 bands!
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #55 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Odin, you did this exact same thread a couple years ago, and my answer was the same then:
    The 90s approach to licensing was actually pretty similar. Plenty of OLD ass nostalgia stuff (creature, TZ, Addams family, Star Wars, doctor who, Dirty Harry, bugs bunny, popeye) as well as “current” movies and other pop culture stuff.
    It’s really not that much different from the current model employed by Stern and JJP. The only
    Difference was the sprinkling of cool, unlicensed themes.
    I’d like to see more of that too, maybe the success of TNA will help spur more of that.

Ya, I agree. Isn’t the 90’s data east virtually the same as current stern as far as licensing games. Look at the data East lineup, a mash up of pop culture.

#56 5 years ago

It would definitely be Beatles and Stones and Buddy Holly. They would be the big three rock themes.

The Kingston Trio and Peter Paul and Mary would be Aerosmith and Kiss.

A Clockwork Orange would have the possibility of being spectacular. The wizard mode of Easy Rider's Pinball Adventure would probably be disappointing in the end.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, I did get my Dirty Harry sample game back, so maybe I'm starting to accept this.
    But isn't it crazy that GNR is still the "newest" band to have their own game?

Well that's it your out of your own club. Harder than it looks to stay unlicensed themed these days.

#58 5 years ago

Bally's Monterey Pop pin would be wildly outsold by their Woodstock pin, but then everything falls apart with the Altamont pin.

#59 5 years ago

In the 90s, there would have been a Beverly Hillbillies for sure.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg
    #60 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In the 90s, there would have been a Beverly Hillbillies for sure.

Until this thread I'd forgotten how many old TV shows were made into movies in the '90s.

So would it have been original Beverly Hillbillies or themed with Jim Varney and Lea Thompson? My dad (who is how I'm judging stuff in this thread because I was a teen in the '90s) liked both.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

a Dazed and Confused pin would be fun!!!!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I've heard some guys quote this unironically and it's terrifying.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Roadmarks:

Until this thread I'd forgotten how many old TV shows were made into movies in the '90s.
    So would it have been original Beverly Hillbillies or themed with Jim Varney and Lea Thompson? My dad (who is how I'm judging stuff in this thread because I was a teen in the '90s) liked both.

Yes!!!

Another great oldie

Of course they made a Gillian’s island and Flintstones

But no Scooby Doo yet. Wtf

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Roadmarks:

So would it have been original Beverly Hillbillies or themed with Jim Varney and Lea Thompson?

It would have to be the original TV series of course. Current licenses and original themes are too risky. Pinball companies aren't stupid, they are in this business to make a profit.

This is the 1990s and pinball's core audience and demographics are baby boomers in their 30s and 40s that grew up playing pinball and have good jobs and extra money to spend and actually know how to use hand tools, and are only interested in familiar themes and characters they grew up with and remind them of their youth. I bet you can't name one 90s TV show, movie, or band they have even heard of, let alone spend $2k- $3k on a pinball machine themed after one.

Do you seriously think these GenX kids that spent their 80s childhoods in arcades playing video games will ever even be interested in pinball at all? Most of them don't have jobs or even the desire to work and are probably sitting at home right now playing Nintendo or Sega and probably have never even played pinball in their life!. Yeah, these are to ones pinball companies want to market to lol. I bet even if their parents bought them a pinball machine like they do everything else, they wouldn't put down their controllers long enough to even play it.

Sometimes you guys really crack me up!

#65 5 years ago

Another thing is these GenX kids from the 80s either can't or aren't willing to even fix their own bicycle tires, how on earth would they ever be able to work on or repair a pinball machine? Yes the 90s may be the end of pinball if we can't get this younger video game generation interested or educated about pinball machines.

But as home gaming systems keep on improving and those kids have the attention spans of gnats, I do feel the baby boomer generation may be the last as far as pinball is concerned.

#66 5 years ago

The funny thing is the pinball fans I do know are all GenX or Xennials.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Roadmarks:

The funny thing is the pinball fans I do know are all GenX or Xennials.

The funnier thing is the statements above are exactly what they say here when somebody mentions getting younger people involved in pinball with themes they like today.

Just think if that was the real pinball attitude back in the 90s....

I was there and it was mostly people in their 30s and 40s playing pinball. We liked the modern themes. No need to overly rehash the past. That would have made things very stale in a hurry.

#68 5 years ago

New news article states that over 50% of millinnials get monthly funding from parents. So I guess you would have to fund their pinball machine.

#69 5 years ago

It would have been much better.

#70 5 years ago

I think this site gives a false sense of interest in pinball. Most people can not afford one pin let alone several. I think more locations and more affordable pins would make a real impact. Until then there is only one core audience.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

New news article states that over 50% of millinnials get monthly funding from parents. So I guess you would have to fund their pinball machine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/more-millennials-get-support-from-their-parents.html

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Just like the GenXrs and the Baby Boomers before them, eventually they will get older and possibly find themselves gainfully employed with a house and families of their own.

When they are the ones in their 30s and 40s making money and able to afford these things, will they look back to what's happening in pinball now as cool and nostalgia for them, or remember it only as something their parents and grandparents did to try to recapture their youth.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just like the GenXrs and the Baby Boomers before them, eventually they will get older and possibly find themselves gainfully employed with a house and families of their own.
    When they are the ones in their 30s and 40s making money and able to afford these things, will they look back to what's happening in pinball now as cool and nostalgia for them, or remember it only as something their parents and grandparents did to try to recapture their youth.

Many Millennials are already in their mid-30's.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Many Millennials are already in their mid-30's.

You are correct.

I guess what I am really referring to is what they are calling GenerationZ, those born from the mid 90s on.

Millennials born early 80s- mid 90s are up against a lot of competition in the labor force as the GenXrs, which there are probably a lot more of are still in control. But there was a time the same was said about them.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Another thing is these GenX kids from the 80s either can't or aren't willing to even fix their own bicycle tires, how on earth would they ever be able to work on or repair a pinball machine? Yes the 90s may be the end of pinball if we can't get this younger video game generation interested or educated about pinball machines.
    But as home gaming systems keep on improving and those kids have the attention spans of gnats, I do feel the baby boomer generation may be the last as far as pinball is concerned.

Odin....I always enjoy reading your comments, but on this GenX perspective....dude, you are way out of touch. Almost all the guys I know that are into pinball heavy are GenXers, myself included. And I played said video games in my youth.

What you wrongfully describe as GenX is more along the lines of Hipster Millennials when it comes to console gaming, and that is probably more in line with iPhone games/YouTube/social media. Get four Millennials in a room together and they sit in their phones and don’t even talk to each other.

Very disappointed to hear you bashing GenX as being unemployed and apathetic. GenX is the most overlooked generation in our nations history. Read anything in the media and it’s either Baby Boomers or Millennials. Our Baby Booner parents were too busy with their own consumption and left many of us as latch key kids to fend for ourselves. I would be bold enough to say that GenX is the last great independent generation. We’ve had, and will continue to suffer the consequences of the baby boomer poor choices. Social Security is set to be insolvent right when we reach retirement age of 62ish. All of the manufacturing that gave baby boomers their wealth was sent overseas just in time for GenX to hit their prime earning years. Another interest fact is that GenX lost the most wealth during the 2008 crash, and will be the generation that won’t recover it to the extent orher generations have or will.

I could go on, but I don’t want this turning into a generation battle thread.

#76 5 years ago

Gen X (myself included) run the scene in my area. All routed pins and keeping it alive for people to enjoy has been on our shoulders.

The boomers sit at home complaining about their 9k pin and posting pics of the new dolls they modded their machine with.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I would be bold enough to say that GenX is the last great independent generation.

Well said and quite true.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Odin man you gotta let this shit go. Pinball dies with us the Gen Xr's bottom line sir. Millenials will not collect pinball machines and the Barcade will disappear as well. Themes are geared to the mid 30's to mid 50 guys and it will not change.

#79 5 years ago

Odin....I always enjoy reading your comments, but on this GenX perspective....dude, you are way out of touch.

You're not getting it. This is the 90s. GenX kids are just a bunch of slackers living in their parents basements. Look at how you bash the younger generation now because you have jobs and they don't. You don't think it was exactly the same back then?

Our Baby Booner parents were too busy with their own consumption and left many of us as latch key kids to fend for ourselves. I would be bold enough to say that GenX is the last great independent generation.

And do you think GenX are the first or last ones to blame their parents for everything?

Quoted from Hazoff:

Pinball dies with us the Gen Xr's bottom line sir.

And as I figured, you guys wouldn't have it any other way.

#80 5 years ago

I think a lot has to do in how one is influenced through their life. When I was a kid there was lots of location pins and vids. Nowadays not too many or none. Makes me think that possible in the future it will be cool to collect ticket redemption games since that's all you see these days. Imagine people talking about how they scored a 92 ticket whatever that they used to play at Chuck E Cheese.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I think a lot has to do in how one is influenced through their life. When I was a kid there was lots of location pins and vids. Nowadays not too many or none. Makes me think that possible in the future it will be cool to collect ticket redemption games since that's all you see these days. Imagine people talking about how they scored a 92 ticket whatever that they used to play at Chuck E Cheese.

When I see all the redemption games going for practically nothing on the Coinopwarehouse site on a daily basis, I wonder the same thing. Many of the games are not very old. Some working and in excellent condition.

https://www.facebook.com/coinopwarehouse

#82 5 years ago

Yeah, I guess my point here is the 90s took a lot of kids that grew up playing video games and turned them onto pinball and now they are the majority of pinball buyers .

It wasn't meant to be a knock on one generation or another, because in that regards it's always been the same. Life can be rough when you are a young adult, and it can take time before you are self sufficient. Some seem to be blind to that fact. The choices we make now however, have more of an influence on these younger kids later in life than you might think, including how we present pinball.

Quoted from Buzz:

Imagine people talking about how they scored a 92 ticket whatever that they used to play at Chuck E Cheese.

8161083029_fed7bfb8f4_c (resized).jpg8161083029_fed7bfb8f4_c (resized).jpg
    #83 5 years ago

You ain't lying life is rough especially in the beginning and the middle and hopefully by the end you can coast. Or maybe it's that you get to a point of I don't give a f. I'm surprised to see as many younger people play pinball as I do at the finally local arcade. Hell if for half my life I didn't know you could buy these things than maybe a lot others don't know either. More locations and better prices and information could really help keep this alive and hopefully give me a retirement career of smoking weed and fixing games.

#84 5 years ago

I will say this about GenX though. They have a lot of spunk.

As they are the current generation that not only thinks they are better than the one before, but also all those that came after. And bash them accordingly. Gotta hand it to them for that!

Reality is you aint gonna be in charge forever. Just wait and see.

#85 5 years ago

Like every generation before and after. Eventually everybody sells out and becomes part of the system. Sad that things never change. From bell bottoms to sagging and bagging to skinny jeans. We all get old and have to look back and laugh. I meet people in their 40's that gave no interest in pinball and people younger that do. I think pinball will survive as it did before.

#86 5 years ago

As a disclaimer, I was born in 1962 which some would say is the end of the baby boom, or the start of GenX so I could be a member of both.

But I am affiliated with neither. Those born between generations can choose to label themselves as one or the other, or in my case and others of my age I know, neither.

We are the "no generation" and have little in common with either. As labeled generations come and go, we just float on by observing the situation like we always have doing our own thing, not theirs

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You're not getting it. This is the 90s. GenX kids are just a bunch of slackers living in their parents basements.

Wrong again...maybe in your neighborhood full of 1%ers, that’s how it was....but when I was growing up, I had a paper route 7 days a week, mowed lawns in the summer and shoveled snow in the winter. Plus odd jobs all year round. Worked as a stock boy in a grocery store, UPS loading trucks at night and worked my city summer crew through college. Was on my own at 22 with a job and my own apartment. And every one of my friends at that time we’re doing the same. Gen X is the hardest working, most creative group. Baby boomers had jobs in factories, and more jobs supporting those spending incomes, just waiting for them when they graduated high school. Two world wars of detroying the rest of the industrial world made it easy on the boomers.

I apologize in advance if I am incorrect...i am assuming you are a Boomer. So what do you blame the Greatest Generation that was before you for?

#88 5 years ago

You guys are looking at this all wrong.

It’s not that “our” generation is as awesome and kickass as the ones that came before, it’s that we are just as lazy, entitled, and greedy as the generations that came before.

#89 5 years ago

Wrong again...maybe in your neighborhood full of 1%ers, that’s how it was....but when I was growing up, I had a paper route 7 days a week, mowed lawns in the summer and shoveled snow in the winter.

No you're wrong again. The statement "slackers"was a stereotype used in the 90s to describe the younger generation at the time, the same way you are describing the newer generations. I know first hand it only applies to some as my 20 year old daughter just finished her second year of college pulling straight "A" s while holding down two jobs, also helping to support her mother who is now on disability.

Young people now that weren't born into wealth have to work harder than ever to get ahead, let alone get by.

And myself, I worked paper routes, fast food, whatever as the economy was in the tank and nobody gave us anything.

By claiming your generation is the hardest working, greatest ever shows you have no clue what you are talking about.

I apologize in advance if I am incorrect...i am assuming you are a Boomer. So what do you blame the Greatest Generation that was before you for?

You are the kind that would like to blame somebody else for your misfortunes, not me.

If you had bothered to read the post above yours instead of being so high on your horse, I explained that already in great detail.

I'm not one that goes out of my way to think I have to be a part of any group. I do my own thinking and take blame or praise for my own actions. I get no satisfaction thinking I am part of something I had for the most part very little to do with.

#90 5 years ago
    9482FF7B-7C89-4304-AC36-C6AA165B34C3.gif9482FF7B-7C89-4304-AC36-C6AA165B34C3.gif
    #91 5 years ago

To be honest Blitzburg, the way you see things is the general consensus throughout most of pinball today. A certain age group wants what they get and they get what they want and there is no future or past beyond that.

So yeah, if in the 90s they had themed games like they do today, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation as it wouldn't have brought in a whole new generation of enthusiasts and it would have probably died many years ago.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

To be honest Blitzburg, the way you see things is the general consensus throughout most of pinball today. A certain age group wants what they get and they get what they want and there is no future or past beyond that.
    So yeah, if in the 90s they had themed games like they do today, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation as it wouldn't have brought in a whole new generation of enthusiasts and it would have probably died many years ago.

It’s all good. There are plenty of games that many people can enjoy, and the steady stream of new games and new companies making them is great for all pinball fans. Young and old players alike!

23CDE174-1AD5-45B6-BB5B-ACF195EEE2C2 (resized).jpeg23CDE174-1AD5-45B6-BB5B-ACF195EEE2C2 (resized).jpeg
    #93 5 years ago

There are plenty of games that many people can enjoy

Sure, but where's that Muppets game everybody has been waiting 50 years for?
    hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure, but where's that Muppets game everybody has been waiting 50 years for?

Sorry, but those are Bert & Ernie.
    That's Sesamestreet, not the Muppets.

Now would LOVE to see the Mupputs..... Pigs in Space... The Swedish Chef... Waldorf & Stattler at the Match callout....

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

Sorry, but those are Bert & Ernie.
    That's Sesamestreet, not the Muppets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sesame_Street_Muppets

#96 5 years ago

Oke, sorry. I stand corrected.
    I was thinking of the late series here in the Netherlands.
    Well, any Muppets game would be appriciated as long as it has "PIGS IN SPACCCCEEE"....

#97 5 years ago

Where I come from, the Sesame Street characters are the original Muppets, I watched them all when the show was new, so a machine themed after any other rendition would be pointless and lame.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Where I come from, the Sesame Street characters are the original Muppets, I watched them all when the show was new, so a machine themed after any other rendition would be pointless and lame.

I'm not sure theres a rendition of the muppets that wouldn't be lame I grew up watching The Muppets and Seasame Street but I left puppets behind a long time ago frankly this desire for a puppet pin is a little concerning. Well I would be ok with this.....

puppet banner (resized).jpgpuppet banner (resized).jpg
    #99 5 years ago
    07B641A9-CD2D-4F80-A911-4EFBDC73ED9F (resized).jpeg07B641A9-CD2D-4F80-A911-4EFBDC73ED9F (resized).jpegB1E59A91-AA29-4071-BFBC-816542682D98 (resized).jpegB1E59A91-AA29-4071-BFBC-816542682D98 (resized).jpeg
    #100 5 years ago

Oh come on, a little balcony with Statler and Waldorf heckling you? I don't even like the Muppets and I'd be all over that.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-if-during-the-90s-they-themed-pinball-machines-like-they-do-now/page/2?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.