(Topic ID: 236890)

What, if anything, to say to significant other...

By holminone

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D71AE0D5-06AF-4B56-BDD3-AD60AB01CDAD (resized).png
E828F607-0569-4C22-BD6F-6891946B8F81 (resized).jpeg
0A8A85F6-395C-42A7-9D98-996A417028E5 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Lady:

I might have a slightly different perspective as a woman who enjoys pinball and shares the hobby with my husband. I think it is very important to be supportive of each other's interests and even to try a little bit to see if there is common ground to enjoy hobbies together. Reading the op's post, I think there is a bit of blame to go around. A successful marriage (and we're at 25 years) in my opinion, has no room for berating each other in front of other people. I do have to wonder, though, whether the husband ever consulted his wife about the purchase of DILE. While I own the game and think it is a very fun game, it doesn't have nearly as much appeal as other games for those who aren't deeply into pinball. It takes a lot of skill and can be frustrating for a newbie (compared to say WOZ). Now add that it's in the middle of their shared living space. I have to wonder if they had jointly picked a game or at least gave her some major input if she would have enjoyed showing off THEIR new purchase to their friends rather than venting her frustration.

I agree that the friend thing was not good and should be addressed, and I also agree that there needs to be some self-awareness that buying 250 pound machines that cost from 5-10K does affect the other spouse. If all of the sudden my wife started to collect 5K antique sewing machines I wouldn't be super pleased to find a new one in the house (it was bad enough having four of them in the house when they were "gifts" from friends). It sounds like this whole thing could be a good chapter in your marriage in the end though as it's much better to get this stuff in the open than to have one spouse try to repress the resentment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 22.50
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-if-anything-to-say-to-significant-other?tu=iloveplywood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.