Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by oropuro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

demoman-slugger.jpg
    arabian.jpg
    flynn.jpg
    hercules.jpg
    CAM00223.jpg
    CAM00228.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I'm 43 and my son is 10. This is the first time I've ever checked out a major pinball / arcade show and I wanted to bring my son to the show this year (he's big into pinball). It was awesome to play the pinball machines, and it was a ton of fun playing the classic arcade games. As a kid I grew up on the stuff that was at the show, I spent countless hours on those arcade games.

It was the first time my son has ever seen these machines in person, we've never been anywhere that he's seen a Dig Dug, Galaga, Joust, Tron, Tempest, Gaunlet, Scramble, etc...

We spent a lot of time on those machines and it was sure cool playing those games with my kid, and the thing that blew me away was how much fun he had on those games (couldn't get him off of Joust, Gauntlet or Breakout). His video game world is the Wii, PS3 and Nintendo DS. Nothing but fancy and massive video games that seem to take months to complete. It was cool to see how interested and captivated he was with a game like Breakout, it's just a simple game with one dial, a little ball moving around the screen and all you try to do is knock the bricks out. Nothing fancy by today's standards.

It was also very cool to see him play a lot of pinball machines from the 70s and 80s, the only machines he's really played are the ones in our house (MM, Tron, LOTR, Xmen and ACDC). He thought those old games were lots of fun (and once again the games are much simpler than the ones that he's used to playing). His favourite machine was Revenge from Mars, he thought the concept of a pinball machine / video game was very cool (and he got the 4th highest score in it!).

Something to be said for keeping things simple sometimes!

All in all it was a fantastic show and we're definitely coming back next year. Big thanks to the organizers, it was a very well run event.

#2 8 years ago

The new venue was great, didn't have the quirky character of the Seattle Center, but was better in just about every way. The one thing I really noticed was there seemed to be more vids then pins, which I don't believe was the case in the past, but I could be wrong. The video selection was excellent by the way, best I've seen apart from CAX.

The highlight of the show for me, (besides WOZ) was the MM and Whitewater tricked out machines at the PinballBulbs booth, they gave me some great ideas to expand on what I have already been doing to a few of mine I'd never seen a WH20 with the white mountains before, very impressive!!

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

few of mine I'd never seen a WH20 with the white mountains before, very impressive

Any photos . You probably were having to much fun to think of it . But I thought I would ask.

#4 8 years ago

Panoramic

image.jpg

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

The new venue was great

Kind of like your house . I mean estate. 99 Pinball Machines That is what I am talking about!!

#6 8 years ago

Looks sweet. My home State of Colorado U.S.A. has a trade show every April. There were 125 pinball machines this year. How many at tis show ?

#7 8 years ago

Great show as usual. Like dg mentioned, weird layout. I prefer they put the vids together the dmds together and so on.

Predator and woz could go out back by the dumpster to make more room for metallicas.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Great show as usual. Like dg mentioned, weird layout. I prefer they put the vids together the dmds together and so on.
    Predator and woz could go out back by the dumpster to make more room for metallicas.

Got to give you credit for sticking with your prejudice, even when faced with the truth

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Kind of like your house . I mean estate. 99 Pinball Machines That is what I am talking about!!

Wish that was true, way too small a house and way too many games in storage and on loan.

Maybe someday!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

That's funny I played 2 games of Metallica and had no desire to play it more.
    Many other games that were much more fun to play there IMHO!

#11 8 years ago

I kept playing the Williams "Gridiron" pitch and bat.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

That's funny I played 2 games of Metallica and had no desire to play it more.
    Many other games that were much more fun to play there IMHO!

I felt that way about Tron.

#13 8 years ago

I'll go ahead and put my show write up here.

Went with my son Killian. It was a treat because I've been trying to go for years but it always coincides with one of my wife's 57 cousins' fucking high school graduation. I saw some cool ancient video games I loved as a kid that I might have played if I was alone like Red Baron, Gondo...whatever, and Rampart, but my son was having none of it. 100% pinball. Kid didn't want to stop for lunch/dinner on Friday and he's usually a caloric vacuum cleaner.

I wrote up what I thought about Predator in its own thread.

Metallica was as good in my limited plays as I had read. Funny thing about it is, taken as a whole it looks amazing. I'd say it's probably one of the better looking games I've seen. But in a strange reversal of typical pinball art, the closer I examine it the less I like it. I'm no fan of the style, and think it in no way fits the band. So, I stand back and think, "Man that's fucking gorgeous!" and then I get close and peer through the glass and think, "Oh, that element there is stupid. God, look at that one, so juvenile. Oh, and that's pretty weak there too." Haha. It's like Python Anghelo in reverse.

EM Standouts for me:
    Ice Show (six outlanes, no inlanes/slings, 2" flippers, and fun!?)
    Nip It (100% fun, not "for an EM", but 100% fun as in, "this right here is a fun ass pinball machine")

Games I'd never played but were great:
    Fathom (wasn't even in that great a shape and this was a blast, would love to own one)
    Flipper Football (really fun, kept breaking, but had great time with soccer loving son)

Best Sterns that I had never or rarely played:
    Tricked out Tron
    Transformers Megatron
    Metallica

Worst games that I had never played:
    Avengers Hulk (on 5 ball and desperately wanted to walk after 3, boring as hell, and, what I could see of the playfield through all the ugly plastics, unattractive)
    Cirqus Voltaire (beautiful and boring, game lasted forever, ugly toy raises slowly up out of the playfield constantly, etc... don't see the draw, maybe need more plays but would not do so if it wasn't free)

My Son's favorites:
    Big Guns
    Nip It
    Demolition Man
    Flipper Football
    Transformers
    Metallica
    Haunted House
    Tron
    Vulcan

We entered three of the SPBM's free tournaments and won all of them. That was kind of cool. We got 22+ million on the Parent/Kid split flipper Tron event. He was right and I was left and I swear to God he carried us. We're not talking especially deep fields here, but it was fun anyway and netted us $100+ worth of passes to the museum.

I learned that I really need to give EMs more of a chance. They're fun.

I was very proud when a guy waiting to get on Tron watching my son play said, "Wow, he's got some real skills".

Pinball Bulbs is the real deal. The machines they did at the show looked fantastic.

What the hell is Video Game Scoreboard? Poor people. I didn't see anyone at that booth except to pick up hand cleanser. I wanted to give them a pity hump but I was afraid I'd get stuck listening to them feverishly pitch whatever... they were selling? since someone actually stopped to pay them attention.

Met no one from Pinside because am an idiot and forgot to ask for details.

Lots of kids, lots of families, lots of women. All kids were well behaved except these two weird balls there on Sunday. They were running around bumping into people's hands as they played, pointing over the glass, etc... They cornered me and my son on World Cup and I had to keep shooing them off my fingers. One of them kept narrating and giving me strategy hints by gesturing towards shots and asking questions. He finally said that they had this game at home and I thought, "Damn, these are pinball kids and they don't even know how to behave around pinball?" So I said, "Don't you want to go play a game at the show you DON'T have at home?"

"No," he replied, "it's always broken!". Finally the mother came to try and collect them and the older said, "No I'm going to play three player with these guys", and my son looked at me with wide eyes and said, "No. Way." Haha.

Anyway, it was a great time for my first ever pinball. Me and the boy played pinball for about 16 hours, won three little tournaments, met SkitB, I got to goof on Gary Stern who didn't seem to appreciate it, got to hear my son say his new favorite game of all time is Demolition Man (which is one of my own favorites) and that "Metallica didn't feel cheap and fake like the other Sterns", and I developed a depper respect for EMs.

Looking forward to next year!

#14 8 years ago

Seeing and playing WOZ, followed closely by seeing and playing Metallica.

#15 8 years ago

Had a great time too. Went all day Friday and got there when it opened. Got in some good Metallica time then. Later, it became much busier and didn't want to wait.

Played a lot of tables that I had never played before. Standouts for me were Spider Man and RBION. X-Men was also a surprise. And compared to Avengers, I enjoyed it more. Guns N Roses was fan as well and had a great sub installed. Really shook. Didn't get to play WOZ but watched several people play. Great looking machine but the callouts I think would grind my soul into a pulp after a few hours.

Had fun with the color DMD Adams Family (x2) and STTNG. Adds more than I thought it would. Big Guns was really fun too. And seeing an Orbiter in person is cool. Truly a "thinking outside the box" kind of machine.

As much as I enjoy video games, I didn't touch a single one and probably was not "bored" looking for machines to play for 8 hours easily.

Funny side note, was at the Marco booth watching people play Metallica and was standing there for a good 10 minutes when I realized I was standing next to Gary Stern. Too cool.

Also, having Rob there from Pinball Classics fixing boards for customers was amazing. I brought in my T3 I/O board for a transistor issue. Rob when above and beyond to get it fixed. Got it home and it worked perfectly. His test rig is impressive. Speaking of vendors, I was a little disappointed not to see more there. I was thinking Cointaker would be there but they weren't on Friday but maybe they came for Sat. and Sun? I was happy to deal with Pinball bulbs though. I just wish they would have had flashers in stock. Was hoping to get some "fun stuff" like cup holders and stuff like that but selection was pretty thin.

Was surprised at how few pinball machines were up for "sale". I think I saw one EATPM there that had a price on it. I would have thought at the very least, owners would have put contact info on their cards so they could at least be contacted with an offer. Even if you didn't want to sell, there could have been an offer you couldn't refuse out there.

Parking was almost a non-issue too. Plenty of spaces and was fairly inexpensive. I spent almost the entire day there and didn't spend more than $4.

Either way, great time and will be attending next year. Would be great to have an organized Pinside meetup too. I was probably surrounded by Pinsiders but didn't know it.

#16 8 years ago

1. I was surprise there were not more vendors as well, although all vendors space was basically filled up

2. I loooved playing the older pitcg and bat games. I'm so obsessed with these and love that they were all there

3. SAme as #2 for some of the older EM arcades, such a fan

4. Met gene from illinois pinball. Never met or seen him before, pretty cool guy with lots of good info to tell

5. Predator was so "meh" for me. Beyond incomplete to show much of anything, but the middle target bank looked like an insta drainer

6. WOZ was pretty cool, has lots of fun potential. Metallica also kicks ass, loved it.

7. Overall atmosphere was pretty sweet., Everyone is friendly and willing to give advice or chat it up about and give some feedback on things. Pretty fun to give some advice to soooo many newcomers to pinball I met. Just from this show I easily got the impression how much this hobby is growing. Lots of folks who got their first pin within last few months and had no clue what pinside was. Just nuts how many more pinheads there really are outside of this and RGP.

8. Really surprised at the lack of machines for sale. I tried to buy a lot though regardless and people lol'd at me and wanted lots of money, but of course because they didn't want to sell.

Really great for my first show and I look forward to going back next year.

#17 8 years ago

Here are the only 2 pics of those MM and Wh20 pics I have. Pretty crappy pics, sorry!

CAM00228.jpg CAM00223.jpg

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

EM Standouts for me:Ice Show (six outlanes, no inlanes/slings, 2" flippers, and fun!?)Nip It (100% fun, not "for an EM", but 100% fun as in, "this right here is a fun ass pinball machine")

Good to hear that you enjoyed the Ice Show! That was mine. I thought that it might be a good game to share as, besides the fact that it's challenging and fun, 60's add-a-balls aren't seen too often at shows in the Pac NW.

- Tim

#19 8 years ago

Yeah thanks for bringing that. It seems that around here EMs go for just too much money for me to consider. Once people are asking up around $1000 it becomes hard to swallow, not because they aren't worth it or I don't appreciate the seller's time, but just because I start thinking about everything else that money could buy.

But I sure did enjoy playing them at the show. An EM Grand Prix was going to be my first pin but the seller drug me along for more than a year and then sold it to someone else. :-/

Thanks again!

EDIT: Some pics.
    Old show standby.
    hercules.jpg

This mod is amazing.
    flynn.jpg

Obligatory Arabian glam shot.
    arabian.jpg

Next to this Demolition Man was a real cool pitch and bat game that I never got a chance to play. One player selects a pitch type, the other bats, you switch for innings. Looked really cool. Called Slugger I think.
    demoman-slugger.jpg

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Yeah thanks for bringing that. It seems that around here EMs go for just too much money for me to consider. Once people are asking up around $1000 it becomes hard to swallow, not because they aren't worth it or I don't appreciate the seller's time, but just because I start thinking about everything else that money could buy.
    But I sure did enjoy playing them at the show. An EM Grand Prix was going to be my first pin but the seller drug me along for more than a year and then sold it to someone else. :-/
    Thanks again!
    EDIT: Some pics.
    Old show standby.

This mod is amazing.

Obligatory Arabian glam shot.

Next to this Demolition Man was a real cool pitch and bat game that I never got a chance to play. One player selects a pitch type, the other bats, you switch for innings. Looked really cool. Called Slugger I think.

It is a williams slugfest. They are fairly available to get too and you can snag thnem for like $500 if you look around actually. Pretty fun game if 2 people playing!

#21 8 years ago

Great show, there all weekend, wish it lasted longer, great time, loved all the games, went to dorkys barcode Sunday and played WOZ with no line, can't wait till next year. Need to serve drinks till close and should close later... Thanks to all involved and a great show. Bringing games next year.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!