View topic image gallery

Barracora_(resized).jpg
20160728_235157_resized_(resized).jpg
20160728_233209_resized_(resized).jpg
20160728_232207_resized_(resized).jpg
20160728_231029_resized_(resized).jpg
20160728_231022_resized_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

After returning from ReplayFX 2016 (my first pinball show/event ever) I'm exhausted and reflecting back on the experience.

Some background: I'm not at all competitive when it comes to pinball - I just enjoy playing, learning the rules and appreciating the engineering and artwork. I didn't enter the tournament, but had a great time in the free play area. I've played all the available games locally in southwest Ohio, in surrounding areas, and have found a few on vacations, but that still only adds up to about 100 titles. In my two days at ReplayFX, that number was tripled, easily. I focused on games I'd never played before - which was most of them - and especially the rare titles.

Here are a few things I learned during the event:

1. My favorite game at the show was the Playmatic Fairy (1975). This little wedgehead completely charmed me and I kept coming back to it again and again. A ceramic powerball was installed and now I think I'll have to put them in all my EM's because it made the game light and wickedly quick. If you have or know of a Fairy for sale (or a 4-player Playmatic Fantasy), please let me know.

2. My other favorite games were the Gottlieb Paradise and the Williams Grand Prix. Absolutely delightful games. I discovered that I enjoy the manual ball lift mechanism of early EM's.

3. I also found that I enjoyed the Baywatch and the DE Star Trek - games that have a really bad rep but which I found engaging and entertaining. Also, they had a ton (probably literally) of 80's Gottlieb/Premier games that were really interesting. Deadly Weapon has some especially clever shots. I finally got to play a Twilight Zone and I can certainly see what the fuss is about.

4. I also consider myself lucky that I got to play Varkon. Could that ramp be the hardest shot in all of pinball?

5. Jack Danger is super nice and he really is about 11' 14" tall. ( ) I spotted (but didn't get to talk to) other pinball celebrities, which was pretty cool.

6. Here's how I saved $3400 at ReplayFX: I love the artwork on Bally Spectrum, I've watched gameplay videos and I find the concept fascinating. I understand how rare it is and that they don't come up too often, but one came up for sale recently and I was on the fence. So I found it at the show and played about 10 games and discovered that I didn't like it. It's gorgeous to look at but the gameplay is incredibly frustrating. When the game finally says "You're a star player!" it really means something.

7. I discovered that I don't like widebody games. Amazing Spider-man, Time 2000, Paragon, Star Race, Mars: God of War, The Hobbit etc. were difficult to control and failed to thrill me. The only one I liked was the Williams Indiana Jones.

8. I was surprised at how many games WEREN'T there. I remarked to someone that none of the games in my home collection were in the free play area and I was hoping to try out an OXO, Beat Time, Gulfstream, Sing Along, Monster Bash, Hollywood Heat, Barracora, Sea Ray... etc. Not complaining - there were loads of great games everywhere you looked and I know they can't have EVERY game, but it occurred to me much later that some famous titles were absent. I guess I'll have to take a trip to Vegas for those.

9. I was also surprised that there weren't more vendors. I thought there would be booth after booth of mods, parts, boards and accessories on hand but a lot of the major sellers didn't come. Business owners take note - this is a great opportunity.

10. The team of roving techs were awesome and kept things humming nicely. Props to the tech crew!

11. Again, this was my first pinball event ever, so I've probably been spoiled for all other future pinball shows. The whole experience was awesome.

20160728_231022_resized_(resized).jpg20160728_231022_resized_(resized).jpg

20160728_231029_resized_(resized).jpg20160728_231029_resized_(resized).jpg

20160728_232207_resized_(resized).jpg20160728_232207_resized_(resized).jpg

20160728_233209_resized_(resized).jpg20160728_233209_resized_(resized).jpg

20160728_235157_resized_(resized).jpg20160728_235157_resized_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

There was a Barracora there?

#3 7 years ago

Interesting comments… I played the Varkon, that was awesome, first time playing that. Wish I had put some games on the Playmatic Fairy. I saw it, but didn't play. The Spectrum was out of order when I was there. The playfield on that Spectrum was great. I've had a Spectrum since 2010, and haven't played it much since it's been in restoration mode.

Jody

#4 7 years ago

I agree with you to moose. First show for me and even though I had a good time I was disappointed that so few games were available. I was in town for Thursday and learned a lesson not to do that again. It was useful to play some of the games I had on my list.

#5 7 years ago

If you want to play some more games it might be worth going to PAPA. I'm sure they didn't bring everything.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

If you want to play some more games it might be worth going to PAPA. I'm sure they didn't bring everything.

There were a lot more games in the tournament area, but since I wasn't competing, I couldn't play them. I didn't stick around for Sunday, when they opened them up to everyone, but at least I could walk around and have a look.

#7 7 years ago

They opened most of them (about 200) Friday night around 11.

#8 7 years ago

#10: You're welcome.

As for the free play area, even as a local Pittsburgher I was still amazed at the volume and variety of games in the free play area. If you think about what the admission fee was, this was one helluva deal. Of course that number skyrocketed Friday night as all but the final Pinburgh banks were opened to the public.

If you can only come for one day, there is a choice. Thurs/Fri provide a fairly open free play area with no wait times on most games. Sat provides an incredible selection of pins, but at the expense of a huge traffic bump and definitely a 1-deep wait time for most games.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I finally got to play a Twilight Zone and I can certainly see what the fuss is about.

Quoted from TopMoose:

. I discovered that I don't like widebody games. Amazing Spider-man, Time 2000, Paragon, Star Race, Mars: God of War, The Hobbit etc. were difficult to control and failed to thrill me. The only one I liked was the Williams Indiana Jones.

Tz is also a widebody ....

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Yes, and also an OXO, and a Monster Bash.

#11 7 years ago

Since you're in Ohio perhaps come to the Ann Arbor pinball show too in May. 350 games there (no duplicates) so you can expand your, "i've played that game" list accordingly. www.vfwpinball.com

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Tz is also a widebody ....

It didn't feel like one - a sign of good design I suppose. I also liked STTNG, which is a widebody.

Quoted from zacaj:

Quoted from neurokinetik:

Yes, and also an OXO, and a Monster Bash.

I didn't see them in the free play area. Maybe they were in the tournament rows?

#13 7 years ago

They were in the tournament rows, but most of those games were available to play on Saturday

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Barracora was there- I really like the backglass art. Interesting gameplay too. I got to play so many games for the first time and crossed a lot of them off my wish list. It was just incredible to have access to so many EMs and early solid state. Played a few vids as well- they had a Black Widow that I've been wanting to play for a while now. The atmosphere was great, it felt like a 4-day long pinball party.
Barracora_(resized).jpgBarracora_(resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

You could of walked up and down the rows of pins in the Pinburgh area. They were available to play starting at 10:45pm on Friday..

#16 7 years ago

TopMoose thanks for making it out. There were a handful of titles that stayed at the papa facility because of reliability issues. Because of Pinburgh there were groups of games that are not available for play in the tournament area. When the last round of regular tournament play was over on Friday we prepped for finals and opened the area up. There were still a ton of machines in free play and that area has grown immensely each year. If it wasn't for our duplicates of popular titles people would have to wait in line due to the volume of the show.

I agree somewhat on your vendor comment. There were more vendors this year than last. Although there were not as many pinball buy and swap type of vendors. Throughout the show I heard the same type of comments so I am sure the papa/replay event staff will take it into consideration.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

They were in the tournament rows, but most of those games were available to play on Saturday

Quoted from ZenTron:

You could of walked up and down the rows of pins in the Pinburgh area. They were available to play starting at 10:45pm on Friday..

I did take a walk through the tournament area, so I got to see the games, but I had to leave Pittsburgh on Friday afternoon and didn't get to play any of them. Again, not a complaint - just an observation.

I got to play a rare Allied Leisure Getaway, a Fashion Show and a Hi-Diver, experiences that outweigh checking off more common titles from my list.

#18 7 years ago

What are your guys thoughts about the name of the event, "ReplayFX" ? I wound up just telling locals it was a pinball/video game expo.

Friday into Saturday I think it would be cool if it was open overnight, I haven't been to magfest but I'm aware its open all the time.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

What are your guys thoughts about the name of the event, "ReplayFX" ? I wound up just telling locals it was a pinball/video game expo.

Haven't thought about it much. It isn't a very descriptive or informative name but that seems to be MO of all these shows.

I mean...MAGfest?

How hard is it to crowbar "CON" somewhere into the title of these shows?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I agree somewhat on your vendor comment. There were more vendors this year than last. Although there were not as many pinball buy and swap type of vendors. Throughout the show I heard the same type of comments so I am sure the papa/replay event staff will take it into consideration.

I can't imagine the show can be everything to everyone. When I went to Expo, they had a ton of vendors but a lack of games to play. It's probably the trade off one has to make.

#21 7 years ago

MAG stands for Music and Gaming and its advertised better/wider audience maybe?

I understand what you mean though..

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Haven't thought about it much. It isn't a very descriptive or informative name but that seems to be MO of all these shows.
I mean...MAGfest?
How hard is it to crowbar "CON" somewhere into the title of these shows?

the "ReplayFX" name is generic, nondescript, and forgettable. "replay" could refer to any number of things, and "FX" has no discernible relevance to this event. the name, to me, evokes a conference for people discussing the digital effects they use on televised sports instant replays or something.

I realize "Pinburgh" only refers to the tournament, but it is a much more appealing name, plus it incorporates two important aspects of the event - pinballs and the host city. great name.

i agree working "con" (or at least "fest") in there would make it clearer to a broader audience what ReplayFX is.

"FlipperFest PinballCon featuring the Pinburgh Match-Play Championship Plus A Decent Number of Video Games And Some Bands" might be a bit too long, though.

#23 7 years ago

I like what they are going for with the Replay FX name. It's not just a show for pinball even though that is a main part so a pinball based name kind of limits things.

#24 7 years ago

Maybe tagging something on to ReplayFX like "Gaming Festival" would make it less obtuse.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

The atmosphere was great, it felt like a 4-day long pinball party.

I still have a pinball hangover!

And TopMoose, I'm glad that you played the Hi-Diver.

#26 7 years ago

ReplayFX is short for Replay Foundation Expo

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

4. I also consider myself lucky that I got to play Varkon. Could that ramp be the hardest shot in all of pinball?

Varkon is awesome. The ramp is not that bad on a restored example of the game, it is super steep though.

#28 7 years ago

replay arcadefest would probably be more descriptive. Or even just Arcadefest.

$3500 for a spectrum? You dodged a bullet there even if you liked the game. that game should not be anywhere near that price. It's not as rare as you think. I've seen it for sale plenty of times.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

replay arcadefest would probably be more descriptive. Or even just Arcadefest.
$3500 for a spectrum? You dodged a bullet there even if you liked the game. that game should not be anywhere near that price. It's not as rare as you think. I've seen it for sale plenty of times.

Only Zaccarias should be priced in that range.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Only Zaccarias should be priced in that range.

zacs should all be $250-500 like it used to be. That stupid zac app fawked that all up.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

IMHO, it would read a lot better spelling that out than ReplayFX does. Replay Foundation Gaming Expo would do even better.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

heh i didn't even know that. i see now the name makes sense, but it's still not great for marketing purposes.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

There were very few we didn't bring. We brought 507 pins (other people brought games as well).

All of those games (with the exception of 60) were available for play after 10:30 on Friday.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

heh i didn't even know that. i see now the name makes sense, but it's still not great for marketing purposes.

Replay - something that happens on pinball games
FX - a signifier of rad shit

I think it's a great name.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

There were very few we didn't bring. We brought 507 pins (other people brought games as well).
All of those games (with the exception of 60) were available for play after 10:30 on Friday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

Wanted
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 259.00
$ 24.00
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-i-learned-at-replayfx-2016 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.