(Topic ID: 67107)

What I heard Stern say at the 3pm event.

By MurphyPeoples

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by beatmaster
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Garytribble.png
    #1 10 years ago

Nothing of interest. Gary mostly said the industry needs more games that are easy to play but hard to master.
    A good question posed during Q&A was what he thought of the money raised by planetary for MM. He said "we finance our own games and always will".
    He then said Stern is booked on production for the next year and a half.

That's all I heard interesting in the 54 minutes I listened. Anyone hear anything more earthshaking than that?
    Kind of an anticlimactic event. No real announcement.

Where did it get touted as an "announcement" anyhow?

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Where did it get touted as an "announcement" anyhow?

same guy who said ST will have LCD.

#3 10 years ago

They also said 'soon' to LCD displays

#4 10 years ago

Actually, Gary answered a different question than I asked regarding the remake. I was interested in his opinion of the completion from the apparent presales of almost a thousand copies of a re-manufactured 15 year old title was an issue. He answered with the "we fund our own games" and any pinball manufacturing was good for pinball, but effectively side-stepped the question (which really didn't surprise me).

If he sees any threat from PPS re manufacturing popular WMS titles, he certainly didn't show it.

#5 10 years ago

I heard Gary likes beer. That is all he talked about.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

They also said 'soon' to LCD displays

Not true. Someone asked if they would do LCD; Gomez said 'yup', Gary eventually said that new technology would be coming, but never said soon or mentioned any kind of timeline.

#7 10 years ago

we finance our own games and always will

Maybe that's true today but not in 2005, he took out a multi-million dollar loan

#8 10 years ago

I think he meant they do not crowd fund.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I think he meant they do not crowd fund.

They probably couldn't crowd fund under the current biz model. They choose to keep game features a secret, then slowly reveal. They'd have to show their hand ahead of time. Not their style. They'd get hammered for lack of innovation and playfield rehashes and the same old toys -- although that happens anyway.

#10 10 years ago

Anyone ask about Code???

#11 10 years ago

Same old same old.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Anyone ask about Code???

I wonder if Stern could figure a way to delete that question from a live public event like they do from Facebook?

#13 10 years ago

Christmas is near.....you know what that means: POWERPACKS!

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I wonder if Stern could figure a way to delete that question from a live public event like they do from Facebook?

Funny bro... and so true!

#15 10 years ago

It sucks if nobody asked him a direct question about uncompleted code. It sounds like a golden opportunity to address the "only manufacturer of real pinball games" was muffed.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Alas, it sadly appears they succeeded. I didn't watch the live feed but in reading about the talk doesn't look like code was mentioned by Gary one time . . .

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

It sucks if nobody asked him a direct question about uncompleted code. It sounds like a golden opportunity to address the "only manufacturer of real pinball games" was muffed.

If you've seen Gary''s speeches before, then you know he does not answer hard questions.

He does not know what version of code X-men currently runs, he does not know about little mod bag sent to fix some gate, he does not know that yet another run of TRON is being done.

He is just the figurehead.

#18 10 years ago

What I learned from Gary today bla bla bla what a joke!

#19 10 years ago

Listening to Gary is like the teacher from peanuts

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from MMuller:

What I learned from Gary today bla bla bla what a joke!

Garytribble.pngGarytribble.png

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Alas, it sadly appears they succeeded. I didn't watch the live feed but in reading about the talk doesn't look like code was mentioned by Gary one time . . .

I did watch the live feed. Unfortunately it went dead 15 minutes into the Q&A period.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Listening to Gary is like the teacher from peanuts

LOL-I was thinking the same thing. He always has these long drawn out answers for questions. Then he reminisces about the history over and over and over. I was imagining him coming out in a pimped out sparkling tuxedo with two gorgeous models. They make a grand entrance with lets get this party started then use t-shirt launchers to give away Stern swag to the now pumped up crowd. Then Gary goes through the planning and development of Walking Dead and reveals some photos of what is to come. After the crowd cheers in applause, the jugglers, fire throwers, and painted women enter and the lights go down, RJD2 starts spinning and its party time. What- a guy can dream right?

#23 10 years ago

The dinosaur being dragged into following the lead of others since their monopoly is thankfully dead.

Paper-thin plastics, florescent backboxes, pixelated/ photoshopped artwork and all around Made In China quality isn't going to cut it anymore. Thank God!

#24 10 years ago

I did watch the live feed. Unfortunately it went dead 15 minutes into the Q&A period.

Sounds to me like the "announcement" itself was DOA.

#25 10 years ago

Gary wouldn't know anything about the code or the levels because it sounds like he doesn't ever really play the games. He stated he doesn't even have one at his residence.

#26 10 years ago

I don't know what he was saying, but I bet he was thinking we need to start giving the people what they want. This remake stuff is going to put a dent in our profits.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Not true. Someone asked if they would do LCD; Gomez said 'yup', Gary eventually said that new technology would be coming, but never said soon or mentioned any kind of timeline.

As others have said, his production line is maxxed out right now. It would be a foolish business move to re-tool his manufacturing operation when he's selling products as fast as he can make them with old technology.

There doesn't seem to be any motivation to start using LCDs until he sees sales drop because people are spending their money on competitors' games that have LCDs.

If this does happen though.. if Stern moves to LCD and it becomes the new standard, I would expect DMD machines to generally drop in value, and become the next-lower generation of games. Another thing to think about for those who are chomping at the bit to get every new Stern that comes out. The more you buy, the more things will stay the same.

#28 10 years ago

so, no big announcement? same old routine. no LE to be play at the show.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-i-hear-stern-say-at-the-3pm-event and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.