(Topic ID: 76011)

What I did with my STLE $13,500 ... 6th game added ....

By rotordave

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-217.jpg
image-468.jpg
hottie.jpg
Gameshow.JPG
Gameshow2.JPG
photo.JPG
download.jpg
image.jpg
173349-i.jpg
image-956.jpg
l_aa46756df90a25f335488151dfd90cf2.jpg
bigboobies!.jpg
tub.jpg
image-644.jpg
image.jpg
like-thread.jpg
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

But I love all pins so it is an interesting thesis to see what else you can get for the same dough.

Me too, I love all pins! You guys in NZ have a big price to pay for Nib's, holy crap..

#152 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Probably this with the leftover $3.69:

image.jpg 215 KB

I think I'd actually rather play this than ST.

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You might have the DMD horse blinders on yet. I had them when I was newer. Over time, the blinders come off, and you appreciate and have just as much fun (if not more) with early SS and EM's as well. Doesn't have to have ramps or flashy LED's to be fun. Just have to find the right games that are really catchy to you. They are out there, for every decade of pin. I'm not an EM guy, but over the years, I have found some EM's that i'm very fond of, and would love to own when I have the space to harbor them.

Did someone hack Neo's account? Because I agree with this! And no way is Genie anywhere near a 2; it's easily a 6-7+ in fun factor!

#154 10 years ago

nope it's all me. Eventually we all get on the same page about something.

#155 10 years ago

STLE is awesome, I just have a hard time justifying its purchase in the same spirit RD is building his collection here. Im a system 11 lover as well, had lots of them and I have been able to trade them out and get others.. in fact Im contemplating selling my Taxi and ES soon, and picking up a ST pro, but that LE pricetag is up there and myself personally cant justify it when I can get a TZ, JM and a congo for the same pricetag... good work so far sir, might I suggest a nice GTB Circus, Genesis, or even a Firepower to add to your diversity, or a sweet Zacc like Devil Riders or Time Machine......

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

STLE is awesome, I just have a hard time justifying its purchase in the same spirit RD is building his collection here. Im a system 11 lover as well, had lots of them and I have been able to trade them out and get others.. in fact Im contemplating selling my Taxi and ES soon, and picking up a ST pro, but that LE pricetag is up there and myself personally cant justify it when I can get a TZ, JM and a congo for the same pricetag... good work so far sir, might I suggest a nice GTB Circus, Genesis, or even a Firepower to add to your diversity, or a sweet Zacc like Devil Riders or Time Machine......

Ooooh, Oooh, I have a nice GTB Circus for sale!!!

2 weeks later
#157 10 years ago

Hmmmmmm what do we have here then?

rd

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

photo.JPG 154 KB

Why....that looks like 2 NIB STLE's You had us goin there for a while but I knew you couldn't resist.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

photo.JPG 154 KB

A hobo's summer cottage?

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

These still part of the original 13.5k?

#161 10 years ago

Hope it is a Game Show and a Grand Lizard!

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Why....that looks like 2 NIB STLE's You had us goin there for a while but I knew you couldn't resist.

Two! I wouldn't pay for one!

One day maybe ....

rd

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from Mantra:

These still part of the original 13.5k?

Yes ... Still going .... Will itemize ASAP

May be tomorrow before I get them set up ... its 9.15pm and I just finished working.

rd

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Hope it is a Game Show and a Grand Lizard!

Well, 1 out of two is a pretty good effort.

You get today's prize!

rd

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Well, 1 out of two is a pretty good effort.
You get today's prize!
rd

Woo Hoo, I hope it is an all expenses paid trip to NZ to check out your collection!

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Woo Hoo, I hope it is an all expenses paid trip to NZ to check out your collection!

Well, yes it was, actually.

Unfortunately I blew the funds for the trip on more old pinball machines.

Sorry champ!

rd

#167 10 years ago

Line all these pins up when your done... that would be good to reflect on

#168 10 years ago

5/ Bally Game Show has landed. Keith McTeeth is in the house!

Nice cabinet on this one, still has the reds. PF is good too. Winner!

This one came from Utah, and shipped from Los Angeles.

Total cost is yet to be determined but it should be $2000 NZD ishhhhhh

Money left in the piggy bank: $3,800

rd

Gameshow.JPGGameshow.JPG

Gameshow2.JPGGameshow2.JPG

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

5/ Bally Game Show has landed. Keith McTeeth is in the house!
Nice cabinet on this one, still has the reds. PF is good too. Winner!
Total cost is yet to be determined but it should be $2000 NZD ishhhhhh
Money left in the piggy bank: $3,800
rd
Image (auto-loading disabled)
Image (auto-loading disabled)

Gameshow2.JPG 46 KB

Gameshow.JPG 199 KB

Looks nice!

I like the way the legs were strapped to the bottom of the cabinet. Adds protection while making it easier to ship the legs. Seems like that would work on the back box too.

#170 10 years ago

Wow that is a nice Game Show! My dad's doesn't have any red left on the cab, just white and yellow.... Fun game for sure.

#171 10 years ago

Dave, please tell us again about the blood going to the Little Man....

hottie.jpghottie.jpg
#172 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Looks nice!
I like the way the legs were strapped to the bottom of the cabinet. Adds protection while making it easier to ship the legs. Seems like that would work on the back box too.

That was the best packed pin I have ever seen.

Legs strapped in, back box lock removed, wrapped in cardboard, strapped to a specially made pallet with steel eyelets for the strapping. Amazing job.

rd

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Dave, please tell us again about the blood going to the Little Man....

hottie.jpg 50 KB

I bet you have some good stories about hotties Ted ....

rd.

#174 10 years ago

Cool RD... Can't wait to play them

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Cool RD... Can't wait to play them

I got em all just for you Mikey!!

And Crayfish Dave and Charley Marmite too, of course!

rd.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is exactly what I mean about horse blinders. I know. I had it too. But over time, when you've played every "newer" game ever made, you expand your outlook to years that you normally wouldn't even give a second look at. It's then you learn to appreciate the rules of those older SS and EM games. Some are quite fun. It's not all about speed or feeding your flippers all the time. Chaos and lack of control , with short ball times is missing from many of todays games. The rules are fantastic on some of those older games. Not even giving them a chance, your screwing yourself out of enjoying 80% of all the pinballs made. Keep your cookie cutter collections. Same boring shit everyone else has. All B/W with some new stern thrown in. Yawwwnn.

So I've only rediscovered pinball in the last 3 years. Before that, I hated it. I mainly hated it because prior to the 90's DMD games, everything was boring and slow. That doesn't change. I'm not saying the older games are easier. They're just ultra boring. It was only in the last few years that I even gave pinball a chance by looking at some of the newer stuff, and now I own a bunch of games.

Keep in mind I'm also a guy that thinks any movie > 15 years old is a total cheesy turd. Movies that I use to love just look horrible now. I remember loving the matrix. Now the first one looks sort of cheesy and the fighting doesn't look at all cool anymore. Watched the star wars ep 4 fight with obiwan and vader, and it is laughably ridiculous on par with say star trek original series or batman from the 60's. Holy cheese Batman. TV shows that are old suck, I don't like classic cars. I hate old video games. In general, I hate old tech.

The problem isn't that I haven't played the older games. I have. I have also played a bunch at the pinball shows and tried to get into some of them. It's just impossible for me. It will never happen. I would love to be wrong about this. It would add a ton of cheap games that I could be interested in. Unfortunately, when the day comes that I get bored of all these "cookie cutter" modern games, I'll sell out my games and be done.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The problem isn't that I haven't played the older games. I have. I have also played a bunch at the pinball shows and tried to get into some of them. It's just impossible for me. It will never happen. I would love to be wrong about this. It would add a ton of cheap games that I could be interested in. Unfortunately, when the day comes that I get bored of all these "cookie cutter" modern games, I'll sell out my games and be done.

Good reply Mark. Man, I was exactly the same up until IFPA10 last year. That's when I rediscovered the old games.

For me, it's the challenge of playing Genie or Seawitch or an EM. It's a totally different skill set to playing a modern Stern pin.

90% of the time, if you come into my 80 machine pinball room, the games that are switched on are
Tron
ACDC
Metallica (because I'm practicing for a Metallica comp)

But I love to crank on the old games too. Last night we had Dr Dude and Genie going. Me, the wife and Danielle were hammering them. Half the time the ball goes straight down the middle from the plunge! No ball savers here. It's the challenge of getting a good score that brings you back for more.

For me anyways.

rd.

#178 10 years ago

Game #6: Rollergames

A system 11 I've been looking for for a long time.

Only one other RG in NZ that I know of. Probably another one or two of them out there but I haven't seen or heard of them.

This one has a tidy cabinet with good reds, and a good PF.

This one came from Pittsburgh and shipped out of New Jersey.

Total landed cost into NZ: $2200 ish

Balance remaining - $1600

rd

image-468.jpgimage-468.jpg

#179 10 years ago

Nice! Rollergames is awesome!

4 months later
#180 9 years ago

Instead of 5 girls swimming in a bathtub, how about 5 foxes skating?
image-217.jpgimage-217.jpg
They know how to play pinball as well...

#181 9 years ago

Dave,
If you ever need someone to pick up a pin from Stern for you and ship it out to you let me know. Id be happy to help a fellow pin guy with a collection like this. I think its absolutely ridiculous that you are charged that kind of money for NIB

#182 9 years ago

Awesome man, I appreciate that offer

rd.

4 weeks later
#183 9 years ago

Right, the discussion of this thread came up in another thread, so time to update what happened with the STLE $13,500.

A quick recap to jog the memory ... (I had to read it all to jog mine!)

A new STLE in NZ was price hiked to 13,500 NZD. A tremendous ripoff.

So how many machines can we get for that?

5 months ago, this is where we were at.

1/ Bally Pool Sharks
2/ Apollo 13
3/ WWF Royal Rumble
4/ Genie
5/ Bally Game Show
6/ Rollergames

And $1600 nzd left in the bank.

I'd already bought some games out of the East Coast of the States in January, but they took months to ship due to the snow up there. But now they're here.

So, number seven.

7/ Firepower 2. Mint condition. $1000 landed

So we have $600 left. I shopped Apollo 13 and sold it for $3500. So we are at 6 machines and up $1300. So now we have $1900

7/ Gorgar. Mint one out of NYC. $1700 landed in NZ. $200 left over.

So there you go. 7 mint/above average machines for the price of one.

All the 7 I bought will increase in value, whereas the new one is ... Not so much.

Nice one!!

rd.

Post edited by rotordave: Remedied addition error

#184 9 years ago

I'm with you all the way rd.I've never even played some of the games I am picking up now,so they are like "new" machines to me even though they are 20-30 years old.Much better value(and better machines).

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from king-pin:

I'm with you all the way rd.I've never even played some of the games I am picking up now,so they are like "new" machines to me even though they are 20-30 years old.Much better value(and better machines).

I get the same buzz playing a "new to me" Flash or Gorgar as I do playing a nib game.

It's all pinball! And it's all good.

rd.

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

1/ Bally Pool Sharks
2/ Apollo 13
3/ WWF Royal Rumble
4/ Genie
5/ Bally Game Show
6/ Rollergames
And $1600 nzd left in the bank.
I'd already bought some games out of the East Coast of the States in January, but they took months to ship due to the snow up there. But now they're here.
So, number seven.
7/ Firepower 2. Mint condition. $1000 landed
So we have $600 left. I shopped Apollo 13 and sold it for $3500. So we are up $1300. So now we have $1900
8/ Gorgar. Mint one out of NYC. $1700 landed in NZ.

Meh....

I know you are filling in some holes in your large collection, and this is where most of these titles come from, but if I had $13.5k and these two choices only, I might just opt for the stle

#187 9 years ago

Nice collection but I would rather have STLE than all those games, went through a stint of buying 80's pins even some of the early 90's DE stuff and none of them lasted very long. After I got my STLE I sold off a lot of pins that just paled in comparison, as long as your happy then cool but I think you should have grabbed the StarTrek it's awesome.

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Meh....
I know you are filling in some holes in your large collection, and this is where most of these titles come from, but if I had $13.5k and these two choices only, I might just opt for the stle

I've played quite a lot of STLE now, and as pretty as it is, I'd rather have a Gorgar.

Honestly.

rd.

#189 9 years ago

What? Gorgar over STLE. Man I want some of what ever you are smoking. I loved my Gorgar but more as a piece of art the gameplay is shit. I only have Metallica Pre and STLE left, after those two very tough to play older games. I guess if I had the room it would be great to own every pin I've had even if I hardly played them. Still want what your smoking.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I loved my Gorgar but more as a piece of art the gameplay is shit.

It's not shit, and some of these machines have to be appreciated for their time as well. Gorgar was ground breaking for many reasons at the time. Still fun to play now as well, might not have the play value today as other new machines, but it's not like it's a piece of garbage.

#191 9 years ago

I said I loved mine. The bottom line is if that was the only pin I could play I would but next to a Metallica or STLE, LOTR's or Ironman I know what I'm choosing. Again I loved my Gorgar not garbage at all but pretty boring.

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Hey you guys are getting off track here......

bigboobies!.jpg 9 KB

Was just reading this thread. RonB, do you like to mod your pins. I even have a kitchen sink next to the bidet on my TZ.

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

as the local Stern distributors thought it would be a stirling idea to increase the price to $13,500 NZD. Xmen, Avengers etc were $10-11k NZD, that was far too much to pay for a pinball machine as it was. $13,500 is just crazy.

While enjoying the thread I can't get past something in original post. With NIB games going for 10 to 11k NZD and since you buy many of the pins from the US anyways, so why not buy STLE from US distributer and have it shipped? You could get a STLE and pay $1k to have it shipped for a total of $10k NZD. That would be 30% below local prices and you'd have your STLE.

#194 9 years ago

I'd buy stle but I don't have 100 games

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Right, the discussion of this thread came up in another thread, so time to update
[stuff]
2/ Apollo 13
[stuff]
So we have $600 left. I shopped Apollo 13 and sold it for $3500. So we are up $1300. So now we have $1900
[stuff]
So there you go. 8 mint/above average machines for the price of one.
All the 8 I bought will increase in value, whereas the new one is ... Not so much.
Nice one!!
rd.

Now wait just a minute, if you sold one, it does not count, so 7 pins total.

Still a very impressive number for the price of one NIB STLE. Congrats!

#196 9 years ago

I can't speak for rd but I have been looking a little into importing Sterns from the USA you can definitely save money but how much varies. Would be a fair bit less for an stle but you have to want one bad enough first.

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from Dis_Pinballer:

They know how to play pinball as well...

image-217.jpg 80 KB

Well you'll need to send them over to my home and I will determine that.

#198 9 years ago

Nice RD.
All good if you have the room, but STLE is getting a lot of play here 300+ games in 3 months

I played Paragon, Black hole & playboy a couple of weeks ago (at Iains 40th) & just can't get into them. so we just kept playing one of my new favourite pins BSD

Any way this thread is pointless as we know RD will buy a ST pro or prem later on down the road.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Right, the discussion of this thread came up in another thread, so time to update what happened with the STLE $13,500.
A quick recap to jog the memory ... (I had to read it all to jog mine!)
A new STLE in NZ was price hiked to 13,500 NZD. A tremendous ripoff.
So how many machines can we get for that?
5 months ago, this is where we were at.
1/ Bally Pool Sharks
3/ WWF Royal Rumble
4/ Genie
5/ Bally Game Show
6/ Rollergames
7/ Firepower 2.
8/ Gorgar.
rd.

Very nice! 7 good games for the price of one! I like STLE quite a bit, but in terms of long-term fun, I'd definitely take 3 of those games over Star Trek.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Any way this thread is pointless as we know RD will buy a ST pro or prem later on down the road.

I agree completely!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
2,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 24.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-i-did-with-my-stle-13500/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.