(Topic ID: 313448)

What have you fixed around the house using pinball parts?

By jaytrem

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by emspence
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14C33FF9-199B-4781-B83C-4BA6F686A33B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20191208_124527669 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191208_124823176 (resized).jpg
    petrolcap1 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

This past weekend I was able to fix the ice dispenser on my fridge using a standard pinball switch, it was the exact same thing. When the controller board went on my central AC I was able to use some parts to make a temp fix while waiting for a new board. It would run non-stop, so we would control it manually at the electric panel. One of my garage door switches is a "Rumble" button (I assume from Royal Rumble). After the fixes I always remind my wife how much money we just saved by having all this pinball stuff around.

What non-pinball things have you fixed with pinball parts?

#2 2 years ago

Wow! Lots! I just used a connector to replace a lost Radio Control plug.
    If used old Black Small pinball Rubbers for feet on objects, spacers, and a rebound EM , for a door stop.

My Bulbs are in My yard, landscaping and school kid projects.

I use Novus, p13, Pinball Rubber cleaner, really every cleaner chemical everywhere.
    I just restored the water dispenser on the fridge.

The Metal Rail protector, in the shooter lane has been used where doors bang, and smaller protectors dont work.

And of course, I use my old balls for art, as well as in a sock for a gluing weight or weapon!

Im sure I have lots more....

Now about the plumbing parts I put in my Fire pin.....

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

And of course, I use my old balls for art, as well as in a sock for a gluing weight or weapon!

You better install a reverse peep-hole if you leave that laying around!

#4 2 years ago

Not so much the parts but certainly the tools and the accessories.

My apartment is pretty much held together by Amazing Goop at this point.

#5 2 years ago

My scooter has a stupidly complex ignition switch that does so many things. It's the ignition switch, seat release, steering lock and fuel cap release.

It became near impossible to make it release the fuel cap so after wasting an hour trying to repair it (and not wanting to spend $100 on a replacement) I made a bracket for the fuel cap release and added a 'pull wire' with a pinball post for a handle. Pull the post and the cap on the left side releases - TaDa!!

It's worked perfectly for a year now!

petrolcap1 (resized).jpgpetrolcap1 (resized).jpg
    #6 2 years ago

I used a ramp screw to secure the bracket for a flush mount zigbee contact sensor after the tiny screw rolled somewhere, never to be found.

#7 2 years ago

Not exactly using a pinball part to fix something in the house, rather, I used an old dishwasher part to fix a pinball machine.

Received a pitch and bat to repair and it was missing the trough under the playfield that returned the ball from the catcher's drain hole back to the pitcher. Not a chance someone would have this laying around from a 1960's game. Found a scrap piece of "U" shaped plastic (ABS I think) from my old dishwasher that I was able to cut up and fit as a replacement return trough for the pinball machine.

#8 2 years ago

I used pinball post rubbers to replace the old hardened vibration damping mounts on my air conditioner.

#9 2 years ago

Pinball LED’s in my landscape lighting, changed the colors depending on the season / holiday.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

I used pinball post rubbers to replace the old hardened vibration damping mounts on my air conditioner.

I bet some small rubber rings would work well for my wood stove blower. I'll have to try that next time I need to replace current stuff I'm using.

#11 2 years ago

Some years I build a custom string of lights for my pumpkin at Halloween, using pinball stuff. For example I made a covid pumpkin a couple years ago, covered in marshmallows on bamboo skewers and then spray painted green. Then custom red lights for the eyes and green for the goop it was throwing up.

#12 2 years ago

So far nobody has admitted to using bulb cover / condom as a real condom. But there have been some good stories. I’ve used rubber rings, pinball switch and blue rubber Stern pads mostly to shim things or keep various things going around the house.

#13 2 years ago

I an inoperable sink pump with a micro-switch.

#14 2 years ago

When I sold my house two years ago,the township required screens on all of the windows. I never used this window, and it never had a screen,so I made one with junk wood I had saved.
    Notice the handles, they're old pinballs.

IMG_20191208_124527669 (resized).jpgIMG_20191208_124527669 (resized).jpgIMG_20191208_124823176 (resized).jpgIMG_20191208_124823176 (resized).jpg
    #15 2 years ago

I can't say that I've used any actual parts for repairs, but I've used tools (that I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for pinball) plenty of times.

#16 2 years ago

Not a repair, but used a post rubber on the shower head pipe to keep the shower caddy from sliding off.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So far nobody has admitted to using bulb cover / condom as a real condom. But there have been some good stories. I’ve used rubber rings, pinball switch and blue rubber Stern pads mostly to shim things or keep various things going around the house.

For a second after mentioning bulb condoms I thought you were going in a completely different direction with your mention of rubber rings right after.

#18 2 years ago
    14C33FF9-199B-4781-B83C-4BA6F686A33B (resized).jpeg14C33FF9-199B-4781-B83C-4BA6F686A33B (resized).jpeg
    #19 2 years ago

This is kind of like the hack thread, you got to point it out to me because I'm not seeing it.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

For a second after mentioning bulb condoms I thought you were going in a completely different direction with your mention of rubber rings right after.

Ah damn, I was gonna try that angle for fun. Lol. Bulb condoms on the other hand sound like a disaster

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

you got to point it out to me because I'm not seeing it.

Pinball leg speared halfway in the ground to hold a reflector.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Pinball leg speared halfway in the ground to hold a reflector.

Okay, I see it now. Good use for that.

#23 2 years ago

I restore vintage transistor radios too, and the plastic volume dial on one was all worn out where the screw holds it on. Had a ton of slop and would keep working loose. Snipped off a little rectangular piece of a switch blade from a scrap Gottlieb relay to fill the worn-out area in the plastic, drilled a hole in it for the screw. Fixed! Okay so I didn't fix my washing machine with an old score motor but it's something.

1 week later
    #24 1 year ago

When working on our 1950 Studebaker, was pleased to find out the burned out bulbs in its radio were our trusty #44s, so already had replacements on hand! I work on a railroad...those bulbs are used in the control stand (kinda like a dashboard, holds the controls and gauges) lighting too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-have-you-fixed-around-the-house-using-pinball-parts?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.