(Topic ID: 128038)

What has Stern innovated in the past 20 years?

By rai

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron.png
    Terminator.jpg
    tumblr_lzgsh4SMn31qzm87go4_250.gif
    terminator.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    caveman-pinball-machine-flyer-gottlieb.jpg
    nbpfgl70.jpg
    caitlyn.jpg
    afm.jpg
    large.jpg
    afm_003.jpg
    image.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    New Canasta.jpg
    81SzLEXWIML._SL1500_.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

If spooky is using B/W parts. . . .

Have you played an AMH? No offense to spooky. The game is pretty good. But it really feels homemade and not very smooth or tight. Using B/W parts doesn't automatically make a better quality machine.

4 months later
    #172 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Not sure why you need a BOM to be convinced that the costs have not risen in proportion to material prices. You don't need to see Stern's BOM cost to figure out the new metal backbox saves money, the elimination of the service rails saves money as does the relocation of the power switch, don't forget the removal of the lockdown bar. The spike system etc...etc...

The BOM on a Stern is really no one's business or concern. They build the machines and choose to sell them for whatever they want. If they are priced too high, no one will buy. Someone buying any product shouldn't have any concerns as to what the manufacturer paid for that product. It's just no one's concern. Stern is not a non-profit organization and under no obligation to justify their price with BOM costs. If the prices are too high, dont buy. That simple.

Don't forget, a $2000 machine does not profit stern $3000 on a $5000 sale. They have to absorb all the development costs that went into the machine as well as the labor costs to assemble and the costs of just keeping the business running (managers, electric bill, etc).

Finally, just because something changes, people should stop assuming the only reason is to cheapen out and save money. A good business should constantly be asking why something is done the way it's done and not just be doing it that way "because that's how we've always done it." An example here is the lockdown bar assembly. Why is the lever better than the clasps? Both hold the lockdown bar in just fine. Why is moving the power switch important? When the old days half the circuitry was in the cabinet maybe it made sense. But now when all the circuitry is in the head it doesnt make sense to have the switch way out in the cabinet.

If I were at Stern, I would be questioning a lot more. Looking at the components in the backbox itself, there is no reason to have the backbox head be so damned tall. The boards dont fill that area up any longer. You could have an arcade style marquee, a display, and a half sized head. Sure that would be cheaper, but its wouldnt be just to save money. It would be less weight, more convenient to handle, and the only reason not to do it is "because that's how we've always done it", a very stupid reason. I'm sure if stern ever did make such a change, it would be considered only to cut costs as if the extra $3 of wood was going to make or break the company.

#176 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Because in a tight space the power button is not easily accessible, second there was always plenty of circuitry in the head...not just now. You also left out the service pegs added value over the rails...they save a lot of weight over those pesky metal rails.
    Oh I almost forgot love the decals on the cabs, who the hell needs that crappy silk screen stuff anyway.

I didn't say every decision wasn't to cut costs. The pegs were done during the slow time where stern almost went out of business. Most the other decisions don't seem like pure cost cutting measures to me.

I don't think the power switch movement is a cost cutting measure. They probably redid the board set and realized the power requirements were different. Someone probably asked why they need a power brick in the cabinet and if it made more sense to put the switch next to the boards that were being switched. I'm sure some old fart in the meeting was trying to say that's not how thing are done but he probably couldn't come up with a valid reason other than that so it got moved.

Nor was the back box redesign. The back box is simply what it needs to be for a pinball. Why does it matter if it's made of wood or not? Who cares?

I think the quality of the cabinet decals is far better than the quality of the art on say lord of the rings or nascar or Simpsons. So yea, you should love the cabinet decals.

#205 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Solid state in general. and only one to really have true stereo sound was again Data East.

Doesn't spike reintroduce stereo sound?

#231 8 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

There is no argument that the games have advanced since the 1970s. But saying three balls for a dollar is cheaper than three games for a dollar? You are right, I think I will just move along. Have a good day.

Bye

#259 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Perhaps a better gauge is video games, 1992 being the time of PS2...

1992 was the time of the SNES. 1995-2001 was the time of the ps1. So Id say you're way way off lol.

1 week later
    #291 8 years ago

After playing around with game of thrones, it looks like stern has innovated a bit on spike. It has all 5v low voltage flashers. It makes sense since you don't need 20v anymore to make a decent flash lamp flash.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-has-stern-contributed-to-pinball-in-the-past-20years?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.