(Topic ID: 128038)

What has Stern innovated in the past 20 years?

By rai

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron.png
    Terminator.jpg
    tumblr_lzgsh4SMn31qzm87go4_250.gif
    terminator.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    caveman-pinball-machine-flyer-gottlieb.jpg
    nbpfgl70.jpg
    caitlyn.jpg
    afm.jpg
    large.jpg
    afm_003.jpg
    image.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    New Canasta.jpg
    81SzLEXWIML._SL1500_.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#251 8 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

I don't understand this comment. Horsepower was never the limiting factor. Everything done today could have been done in the early 90s and probably the late 80s. Was pinball so segregated from the rest of the world that it had no idea what was possible?

Power was out there.. but at the price point and the kind of real-time nature they needed? The simple issue of storage is a huge delta.. as is memory. To do a simple display like Hobbit does in high res would have been possibly only as a static image back in the early 90s (Myst anyone???).. let alone played back with no lag, no loading, at these resolutions, etc.

#257 8 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Space Ace was done in 84 and we still haven't seen anything in pinball that looks that nice. That isn't the same res as woz but Enough to do a lot. I still say that late 80s it would have been possible.

Space Ace wasn't even a rendered display.. it was simple FMV playback from a full sized laserdisc from pre-recorded content that required massive platters to store even short amounts of video.

'we still haven't seen anything in pinball that looks that nice' - HUH? what would you call Hobbit or WOZ? I mean, I love Don Bluth's animation.. but from from presentation and impact in a digital age.. laserdisc's 425 lines of resolution can't hold a candle to modern high res displays.

#265 8 years ago

Stern's marketing is being generous with the term 'we'. It is 'we' as in the people.. but not 'we' as including the company Stern Pinball. The people came from DE.. but not the company itself.

First rule.. never treat marketing as if it were an encyclopedia.

#272 8 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

They are different corporate entities, but really, the same company, just sold and renamed a few times.
    Stern Electronics -> Data East -> Sega -> Stern

Not in a real straight line tho.. the SEI heritage is a bit of a break.. and I had that on my mind crossing wires with DE when I made my post. DE->Sega->SPI is much cleaner and linear in terms of assets and leadership (Gary & Joe). So I had my wires crossed a bit.

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Learn your history. You're embarrassing yourself.

Well even with my gaff today, I can still sleep comfortably knowing I have a long way to go before catching up to you. So

#281 8 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Time break aside, from what I have read Data East pinball was formed from the assets of Stern Electronics, Gary was in charge of both, so there is some continuity there. Close enough imo.

The first bit is where lore kind of blurs the lines. Stern Electronics basically folded up.. the core people (Gary, Joe K, etc) get together later with Data East to start a new pinball division.. which at the end of the day they pull together the same core of vets from SEI/CC to form Data East pinball (hence why people draw the line from SEI->DE) but is really a new venture with DE. Then DE falters, the pin division gets sold off to Sega, which after they retreat... Sega sells the division to Gary.. and Gary forms SPI. But DE->Sega->SPI was mostly just changing the sign over the door.. the pin division had been largely autonomous under both Japanese orgs. The bigger delta was when Joe Kaminkow left in 1999.. as JoeK really was the leader/core of the game design and licensing in the DE/Sega era.

RGP was much more fun in the 90s when you actually had the industry watercooler action happening

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-has-stern-contributed-to-pinball-in-the-past-20years?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.