(Topic ID: 128038)

What has Stern innovated in the past 20 years?

By rai

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tron.png
    Terminator.jpg
    tumblr_lzgsh4SMn31qzm87go4_250.gif
    terminator.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    caveman-pinball-machine-flyer-gottlieb.jpg
    nbpfgl70.jpg
    caitlyn.jpg
    afm.jpg
    large.jpg
    afm_003.jpg
    image.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    New Canasta.jpg
    81SzLEXWIML._SL1500_.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tux.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pinheads are oldschool and don't want anything truly innovative.
    The ONLY company that has actually innovated anything to do pinball is Multimorphic, and I never hear Pinsiders saying "OMG, I hope Multimorphic does JAWS!!!!!"
    All Stern has to do is write the same old song, with a few new lines, and everybody wants to cheer it.

OMG, I hope Multimorphic does JAWS!!!!!

I'd love to see Bruce swimming up to hit the playfield on the dispay with a rumble of the shaker motor. If any company makes Jaws, the toy I want to see more than any other is a magnet. It would be a ball lock. One ball lock would be one barrel. Another ball, another barrel. With a third barrel, the disc housing the magnet would sink below the playfield, release the balls, and rise up again, starting multi-ball.

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I hope they have the P3 at Expo. Not much excitement for them but I hope they can make a go of it. Where are they based? Texas?

Quoted from solarvalue:

P3 will be at Expo. Multimorphic seminar is 1:15pm Saturday.

I hope it'll be streamed!

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Finally, just because something changes, people should stop assuming the only reason is to cheapen out and save money.

If Stern made all of the metal in its games solid gold, people wouldn't assume that it was cost cutting. People assume cost cutting when something that perfectly well changes to something that doesn't work as well and is clearly cheaper to produce, such as the switch from the service rails to pegs on pros. The problems with those have been well documented, so I don't think Stern decided that pegs were a beneficial change.

Quoted from markmon:

I don't think the power switch movement is a cost cutting measure. They probably redid the board set and realized the power requirements were different. Someone probably asked why they need a power brick in the cabinet and if it made more sense to put the switch next to the boards that were being switched.

I see. It made more sense to make the power switch stick out from the bottom of the backbox like a barnacle than to put it on the front of the cabinet where it can be most easily reached. The new position is just to save a few cents of copper and labor.

Quoted from markmon:

You could have an arcade style marquee, a display, and a half sized head. Sure that would be cheaper, but its wouldnt be just to save money. It would be less weight, more convenient to handle, and the only reason not to do it is "because that's how we've always done it", a very stupid reason.

That's a shortsighted statement, because we've always done it that way for a reason in this case. Without backboxes, pinball cabinets are only around half the height of other game cabinets, which makes it easy for them to go unnoticed. The backbox also provides something for spectators to watch without walking all the way up to the cabinet and looking down at the playfield. Finally, pinball machines without backboxes just look cheap and disproportionate, like an inaccurate home edition of pinball. Making the backbox half it current size would hurt each of these aspects of the pinball cabinet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tux.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside