(Topic ID: 59251)

What has caused the resurgence of pinball?

By rustybomber79

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 210 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pindan3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_1982_rare_still_by_kriegdersterne.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 10 years ago

(I mean all of this in a non attitude- thankful I found Pinside and got my first pin kind of way.)

First of all - Pinball is a very reasonable hobby!!!! Especially for how fun it is! Look around for other collectables and see for yourself. Fyi - Boating is on the high side.

You can get the grail of pinbal MM for what $12,000, $20,000 for the cherry/best one around. Compared to the grails in about all adult collectables and hobbies that is nothing! If you can't afford that buy a Pinbot or F14 for $1000-1200 and have a blast of your own. Add more later if you like it and can afford them. It is that simple.

C'mon, man! Pinball owners do not dress, look and have as much money as that Monopoly guy!

If you are an adult and can't afford $1000 for something you really like you either need to budget better or work harder. Bring coffee and bag your lunch and a pinball will magically appear in your basement!

The toughest part of buying a pinball is finding one locally in good shape that you have on your wantlist. You pay not what a seller wants, but what it is worth to you. Though the next guy may value it higher.

You have some really nice people locally and online who are willing to help a total stranger adjust your broken flipper. Unheard of in most collectable markets.

Stern is a big part of the pinball growth with a great run of games, especially the last 5 years.

Nostalgia plays a roll, but the play of the table's rule. In the end people will pay more for a newer pin with more toys on the playfield than an older pin that is great as well, but has less bells and whistles. Newer technology is fun and can/will draw new players.

Stern may actually help keep older pins prices from going through the roof. Example - do I want a Monster Bash or ACDC Premium? A great decision to make, but these newer great pins at similar prices keep the older pins in check.

If there is a bubble, what is the worst that will happen?
    Answer- You have fun playing your worthless pinballs in your basement with your few friends who still play and you laugh when someone tries to sell their Medieval Madness on Craigslist for $4000 and then say "that is way to high, what fool would pay near that?!" You then get it for $2500 and he delivers it and throws in a Pinbot to get the deal done. That is soooooo horrible!

All of these things mentioned have a part of making pinball more popular, but still what 1 in 1000 people have one in their homes? It is a growing bubble, but a tiny one.

So buy what you can afford and learn how to wax a playfield and have fun and remember that one of best parts of Pinball is the people.
    Cheers!

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

I think we live in a bubble. That pins fail to attract much attention on location is evidence that pinball has changed. Most people never consider owning a machine; they don't like playing. But for those that do, many are just understanding that they are widely available for home use. And then once you get one.... Thus higher demand because pins are becoming hot as a collectibles. Just my two cents.

Good point. Pinball is crazy on Pinside. The rest of the world doesn't really care. That is OK with me as long as new pinballs come out and people who do own and play still care about sharing a game and helping others.

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from rustybomber79:

I was there too. I always really liked to play pinball when I saw one, (but I wasn't "into it") so I went to their session. Their panel had a similar effect on me, it made me realize its been a very long time since I have played pinball and its because they are not around like they were back in the day. It also made me realize that there is a lot more to it than keeping th ball in play, when they said you can "win" at a pinball game it blew my mind. Thankfully they shared some websites where you could find pinballs on location in your area, and they mentioned Pinside too! (So here I am) I found one near my work on location and played a lot on my lunch breaks and it really got me into it. I then kept seeking out more places.
    Its a healthy hobby for me and my wife thinks its silly but supports it because, its cheap (for right now ). I can go play at a few arcades near me spend less than $20 for 3-4 hours of entertainment. (and not come home drunk, haha). I mean thnk about it, a round of golf can be close to or over $100 at some places, hell a movie for one is $15 before popcorn now days. Just last night my wife gave the blessing to buy my first machine (with a decent budget too!), a few stipulations have to be met first, but I will have one soon enough!! And in the mean time I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can play some in the wild.

You are right in that you don't even have to own a pin to play pinball. $20 for 3 hours of entertainment is awsome. Finding a good pin to play on location is like finding a diamond in the rough. I recently was on vacation in Maine and found alot of diamonds in one place- AFM, MB, Sstiff, Batman, Spiderman, Family Guy, Dr. Who, Black Rose, Freddy, and Ripley's. Thanks Coast City Comics!

My wife gave me the OK to get one then two. Mabey look for a game she might like also. Not Freddy Kruger.

So what games are you looking at? Good luck!

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

you can't have "nostalgia" for something you never were aware of...

I agree you can see something and it may reminds you of the past even if you did not play them. I am 42 and love the artwork of EM's and enjoy seeing newer artwork with that retro look and feel, even if I grew up in the Pac Man generation. I remember watching people play the EM's when I little and went to Old Orchard Beach, Maine. I can smell the vinegar on the pier fries whenever I see an EM. Ahh.
    I was mentioning earlier that unike most other collectables pinballs usually do not get more valuable with age. Look at cars, comic books, sportscards, toys, etc. and you will see that older rarer pieces sell for more. In pinball LE's get the top dollars compared to older, rare EM's. Why - technology and advanced game play.
    EM's can be great looking works of art and fun to play. Did not intend to diss them. Not at all.

#145 10 years ago

Great responses! It is true that things may not be "really" growing if a small amount of individuals buy 5 pins quickly and or people just added more pins in their basement and now are out of room.

Also, what would happen if Stern does a few stinkers and people have 3 newer pins that are each worth thousands less then the paid in the past year or so?

Looking around we may see a correction in the DMD's and Sterns coming up soon. Here is how I will tell. There is a flipper (whom I have no problem with) around my neck of the woods who usually has about 10 pins for sale at a time. I just looked and now he 25+ this Summer. He is probably thinking that they will all be gone and more by Christmas and have his best year ever! If he turns them over then no correction, but if he still has a lot left then correction time.

Now if there is a correction people with a lot of pins and flippers will go through denial for a while when they go to sell them at higher prices than they paid. They will just hang on to it for a while and make excuses. Then they start to move what they can. "I hate to see it go", they will say, but "I am glad I dumped it!", they will think. No one wants to get stuck with a pin.

I was about to buy 2 more pins, but after looking around and talking to people maybe there is a correction coming and I don't know how to factor that in because I just enjoy playing, but I don't want to take it in the chin in not being able to sell them if I have too someday.

We will see.

#147 10 years ago

Are we at the 86-87 through 89-90 Fleer stage of basketball cards compared to pins today? 86-87 all the rookies came out when there was a gap in the card market from 80-81 topps till then. At first no one cared then people went crazy and so did basketball cards. Hoops came out, Skybox then things became about the limited stuff rather than about collecting.

Iceman 44 said-
    I also collect vintage basketball cards and when card companies made a resurgence it was all about the LE, SE, 1 of 25, exquisite, pinnacle version, etc.....at first, the Michael Jordan LE autos went for a fortune as the "chase" was on, and then Lebron, etc......now, after so many years, there are so many "limited" version autos of this that and the other that its been played out and the reality has set in for those "chasers"....after all, if you buy and LE of anything, you have at least somewhat of a "collector" motive......
    We are already at the "super LE" level with boutique guys like Jpop and SkitB, I think that model has a better chance of long term survival for the "collector", especially Jpop, than the current Stern, JJP approach...but its working now......

#191 10 years ago

I had three machines years ago but sold them after we got married. Seem's I am obsessed with pinball now. Good thing as my bride enjoys pinball and never cared much for the car thing. Pinball is less expensive than my car obsession too. Bonus!

Great idea, tell your wife you are going to collect something over the top expensive, like boating, Tiffany lamps, elephant tusks or rare venomous snakes. Then when she freaks out she will compromise and let you get a much less expensive ACDC Premium instead!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-has-caused-the-resurgence-of-pinball?tu=pinnyheadhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.