(Topic ID: 59251)

What has caused the resurgence of pinball?

By rustybomber79

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 210 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pindan3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_1982_rare_still_by_kriegdersterne.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joe_blasi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

As much as I hate to say it, yea...Pinball Arcade has done a ton. I had some contractors doing work on my HVAC last year. One of them was in my gameroom, saw my CV and commented how he loves to play it on his iPad...where else can you take a game that sells for $7k (don't quote me!) and play it any time you want for $5?
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a resurgence though. A shift in price, or a lack of further decline maybe.

And Visual pinball / Pinmame per dates Pinball Arcade by years

#164 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

There are more diverse environments where PINS are sheltering these days as well but only in relatively small numbers, burgercades, pizzacades etc and they make appearances at various conferences (aside from comic/pin confs) where stalls and manufacturers want to "attract" people over to view their wares. I was even talking to some Vodafone marketing people about commissioning a PIN with a SIM card in it to a) attract people over to our product stands and b) demonstrate machine-2-machine communication possibilities. Near Field Communications to pay for a game, self ordering of battery's and pinballs every year, self-healing.......
    Everything will be connected at some point, what is known as the internet of everything vision of the not too distant future, then PINS will be able to find their friends and meet up to exchange high scores etc. At this point real machines will be talking and competing with the digital and virtual machines on leader boards in real-time.
    All depends on someone actually being able to bloody work out IPv6 of course so I'm out.

what about wireless rip off pricing will OP really want to pay say $10-$15 a game a month just for an 3g / 4g / lte hook up?

#169 10 years ago

OPs and home users with collections would/could have a hub set up so that only one connection (even via the xDSL account wirelessly) would be doing any transactional activity, or not, it is their choice to participate in real time world leader boards etc I guess. Choose a provider with the deal that works for you/them.

Erm lets not go OT with a provider bashing if poss just talking ideas and possibilities especially as I have no idea how the landscape works in the states. I take your point about not wanting any extra costs though if your an Op.

It's easy for home use... But on site OP will have set it up for each site and if the site changes there WiFi setup say changes the password. Also dealing if WIFI system that use web pages to login to get on line may be hard to do as well issues with ports needing to be open.

There is a lot of tech stuff to it and you can get more info at places like dslreports and other tech sites.

#176 10 years ago

Yep agreed new standards would have to be introduced and settings would have to be categorised and audit-able such as tournament, hard, medium, easy, with sensors to know if the glass was removed or magnets used etc. complicated but doable and potentially costly. Just not realistic short to medium term yet so would only be high scores JFF like showing screen shots or posting them on a pin forum. Being able to do updates or order more beer automagically is appealing though, the actual comms is easy to achieve and is ubiquitous today.
    Cheers.

also table condition having some parts broken / not working right can lead to easy high scores.

order more beer automatically sounds cool but I think most liquor laws will not let that happen.

#203 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgarrett:

I think all of the above are right - money in demographic friendly, age group with nostalgia attraction, virtual pinball esp. Farsights "accurate" repros virtually on ipad have been great (The Sharpes are marketing pinball, helping farsight play-test games, Josh and Zach are making tourneys easy to run, the PGA style points system, the PAPA style chess rating system, the PAPA circuit) all of those tourneys are generating local leagures, local leagues are feeding good coin drop at locations (owners and operators are getting a boost) - then collectors are starting to have money, new collectors = new demand.
    You may see a bubble for a while on 90's williams - other 70-80s gottliebs and williams / ballys that are the nostagia rich era for 50-60ish with disposable income, are buying for themselves AND teens and grandkids. I don't know how many WOZ JJP sold just for the kids/womens interest in the theme and LCD coolness - but I've seen a ton of interest at Expo and PAPA from kids, teens and ladies that I've not seen ever for pinball as a tourney player and part-timei operator.
    So its cool to play pinball again. Add a few locations that are combining beer and pinball arcades (some offer free play, with pricey beers), These beer cades are doing well - and that just adds fuel to the tourneys and home buyers.
    Nice to see.
    Dan

AS long as locations have games that get fixed. There is a place right near me I don't play as the games don't get worked one but I go to other places that do fix the games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joe_blasi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-has-caused-the-resurgence-of-pinball?tu=joe_blasi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.