(Topic ID: 59251)

What has caused the resurgence of pinball?

By rustybomber79

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 210 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pindan3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_1982_rare_still_by_kriegdersterne.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#128 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I think it was a number of things that happened in a pretty small window of time:
    Virtual pinball - The success of games like Pinball Arcade. I think that this being released on phones is particularly important.
    Generational - Those that grew up in arcades are now in their peak earning years. Disposable income + nostalgia. These people are seeking things to fill their homes.
    Documentaries - Tilt, and Special When Lit are both fairly popular, even outside of the community (they are or were readily available on netflix).
    New Manufacturers - JJP entering the arena has created quite a lot of buzz. Other boutique manufacturers have also popped up.
    Better games - I'm not necessarily saying better than the 90's, but Stern has responded to the above by releasing some of the best games in years.

This sums it up.....I'd put better games from Stern and the start of JJP at the top in order of importance....

Not sure how long it can be sustained though, 2 more years, 5, 20?

There is only so much $$$ to soak up the newer higher priced inventory hitting the market and its the private homeowner that's driving the market now......

Just take a peak at all the For Sale threads over the last few months and people having to severely lower the prices or not even be able to make a sale.....some people think its just the "summer dive"...I think that's wishful thinking, older pins will suffer and revert back to the mean as guys try to raise disposable cash to buy the next new "must have"......

As for the future generation of kids, pinball will never amount to anything unless its on a video screen....that, I"m sure of!

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Cash or space. In the end I have decided that only so many fit and that works with my availability to maintain the upkeep on them as well. I am sure I am not the only newer buyer in the last two years who is about at the limit of what works.
    At this point I am canning Predator & ST to wait and see if a theme that really grabs me comes out later. If not my line up is now exactly what I want. But I am a great example of a busy buyer with the brakes on.

Exactly, I'm probably out on Predator because I'm in for Woz, Raza, ST and Hobbit and will pick up an AC/DC premium, that gives me 9 and no matter what I'm going up to a max of 12, like to keep it at 10 and then when 1 enters, 1 leaves....

The only pin I can see myself ever getting rid of right now is SM.....

#146 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Now if there is a correction people with a lot of pins and flippers will go through denial for a while when they go to sell them at higher prices than they paid. They will just hang on to it for a while and make excuses. Then they start to move what they can. "I hate to see it go", they will say, but "I am glad I dumped it!", they will think. No one wants to get stuck with a pin.

The "correction" or adjustment is in progress, on a slow roll down but not for the newer pins with the newer technology like Stern and JJP are pumping out right now....that will eventually come....

The whole "LE" thing will tank in my opinion as time goes by because the more LE versions you have of any pin maker the novelty of it wears off and the reality sets in.....people can be just as happy with a premium that plays the exact same way the "LE" at 400 or 500 really isn't LE anyhow.....

The Hobbit is going to be an SE, or special edition at 1500......

I also collect vintage basketball cards and when card companies made a resurgence it was all about the LE, SE, 1 of 25, exquisite, pinnacle version, etc.....at first, the Michael Jordan LE autos went for a fortune as the "chase" was on, and then Lebron, etc......now, after so many years, there are so many "limited" version autos of this that and the other that its been played out and the reality has set in for those "chasers"....after all, if you buy and LE of anything, you have at least somewhat of a "collector" motive......

We are already at the "super LE" level with boutique guys like Jpop and SkitB, I think that model has a better chance of long term survival for the "collector", especially Jpop, than the current Stern, JJP approach...but its working now......

The people that are sitting on a Lotr le, Tron le, Sm black, Ac/dc le etc.....and thinking the price will go up and up aren't thinking about the next new "greatest pins ever" about to be produced by all these companies.....the bloom will slowly fade off the rose over time and so will the value, for the collector part.....Ac/dc and music pins have a better chance to maintain value over the long run....

Anyhow, its a fun time to have pinball as a hobby! I just try and enjoy playing my pins and conversing with you guys! Value doesn't mean much to me except when I'm buying

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Are we at the 86-87 through 89-90 Fleer stage of basketball cards compared to pins today? 86-87 all the rookies came out when there was a gap in the card market from 80-81 topps till then. At first no one cared then people went crazy and so did basketball cards. Hoops came out, Skybox then things became about the limited stuff rather than about collecting.

Ahhh yes, remember those days well, what a set that 86 fleer is, and 87 then the volume went with hoops and skybox turned it to crap and along came Upper Deck and it wasn't until the Jordan autos went nuts that the collector chase was on.....

I have been to several Jordan fantasy camps out in Vegas and even there, the first year or so the cards he signed for the coaches and campers were in huge demand....fast forward several years and now, well, its just another Jordan auto....each coach/player would get 2 autos each, and it was kind of funny watching Calhoun, Coach K, etc...line up to have items signed by MJ....

I have jersey's, balls, photos, anything you can think of signed by him, now its who cares, the "LE" has worn off, although I do have a killer photo framed of him hitting the jumper against Georgetown to win the championship signed by hm, Coach Smith and Roy Williams.....

I think it will take a few more years of the "LE" stage to weed out people and get them to say "so what", its not really and LE and I can have a pro or premium and be happy with that....

Pinball has got to keep making huge advancements with LCD, online play versus others, etc. to bring more kids and folks in......could happen, thanks to JJP, Stern and Jpop....and others....

btw, I only collect 48 Bowmans, 57 Topps, 61 fleer, 69 tall boys, and 71 aba for vintage, all PSA graded only! In high grade

#151 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Lined up for LEs before but going pro when the next table I like comes around like I did with Metallica.

And why not? Smart move......

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

A neighbor gave me an old intellivision console and several boxes of games the had found in their attic. This probably has about the same street value as a SpyHunter thats in need of a full restore. would you say this signifies a resurgence in Intellivsion Consoles?

The intellivision console for the baseball game was the greatest game EVER! I still have it in storage.....

When I was in college at Texas we used to have tournaments with the baseball team in my dorm room (I was basketball) and it was the best EVER!!! Early 80's.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-has-caused-the-resurgence-of-pinball?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.