(Topic ID: 59251)

What has caused the resurgence of pinball?

By rustybomber79

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 210 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pindan3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_1982_rare_still_by_kriegdersterne.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 10 years ago

is there really a "resurgence"? or just the same group of people selling the same group of machines back and forth amoungst themselves (and buying whatever new machine stern/jjp come out with)?

if there was truly a resurgence, i would expect to see a lot more games on location...

yea, there's a few "new" people in the hobby, but it's still a tiny tiny number of people in the grand scheme of things...

#48 10 years ago

somehow, saying "the economy tanked, so people are going out and dropping $6k on a toy" hardly makes sense to me...

#52 10 years ago

@butch...

i suppose... that being said, i'm still having a hard time seeing it... if you were already a pinhead, maybe... but a "new person"? even $3k was a pretty steep entry price if the economy was truly affecting your wallet...

i freely admit that i may be being blind here...

don't undersell the value of a memory... i have many good ones that i wouldn't trade for something more tangible...

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

I think we live in a bubble. That pins fail to attract much attention on location is evidence that pinball has changed. Most people never consider owning a machine; they don't like playing. But for those that do, many are just understanding that they are widely available for home use. And then once you get one.... Thus higher demand because pins are becoming hot as a collectibles. Just my two cents.

while they are becoming "hot as collectibles", that doesn't imply a resurgence of pinball... hell, a cursory glance through the threads at pinside would seem to indicate that many people don't even play their games because they are too afraid to "hurt" them...

if anything "hot as collectibles" will kill a market, as it drives pricing "for collectibility" vs. pricing "for players"...

again, i freely admit i'm being blind, but from this seat, any thought/discussion of a "pinball resurgence" on a site such as pinside (i.e. insular community) is a bit of a "circle of self pleasuring"...

#101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

Don't be so sure...

you can't have "nostalgia" for something you never were aware of...

#108 10 years ago

^^^

yup...

and 99% of them can't even put gas in a car, let alone attempt to fix a pinball machine...

re: "cheaper"... true dat... read the comments on games for handheld devices... you'd think that spending 99 cents for a game is a life changing decision from reading them...

it's a HUGE step from pinball on a handheld device to a "real" pinball machine... have some made it? sure... but i'm willing to wager it is a VERY VERY small percentage...

#112 10 years ago

@pinny...

i was one of those you watched playing em's at old orchard beach maine... you might have even watched me in person, as i'm about 8 years older than you...

now i want pier fries...

big leap of logic there on pricing...

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Yes...
    I do think we will see "video pinball" flourish. It's pretty entertaining right now, but Technology improvements will only make it better. I run visual pinball on my full-sized virtual cabinet now and its amazing how much development is occurring in the virtual space!
    If a few publishers decide to port their stuff to the cabinet world- it will expand even faster!

that's entirely possible... 1 cabinet, 1000's of games... nothing to "fix"... plug and play... no hunting around barns for machines... no dealing with people who haven't taken a shower in a month... no ridiculous pricing, basically retail for the cabinet and software, and no "rarity"...

i can even see me (crusty old em fart that i am ) with a virtual cabinet someday...

#116 10 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Lots of great replies! I think a big part of it is the economy and wide appeal
    of pins. People are staying closer to home now. TV has become a wasteland
    (crappy commercials interrupted occasionally by programming), so hobbies
    are filling the void. Why pinball and not classic video arcade games? Some
    would say home gaming consoles but I don't buy that. A big part of the fun
    in any hobby is the retro aspect. I'm shifting back into classic vids again
    because of the crazy cost of pins.
    Steve

re: tv a wasteland... while true, that doesn't imply "nothing to watch"... if anything, in today's world, there is a HUGE library/catalog of programming that exists with the push of a button... and it's even legal... we have more "home entertainment" options today than we ever had before...

re: classic vids... dying for a "defender" machine here... but can't lay my hands on one...

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

check the New York New Jersey Craigslist. I could swear I just saw a Defender there recently..

thanks for the heads up, i just emailed about it...

#126 10 years ago

re: "special when lit" increasing new pinball players.... welllllllll.... are people SURE about that? sure, for pinheads, we know that not everyone in the hobby is ummm, "different"... but when watching that documentary, it wouldn't exactly be a group of people i'd be clamoring to join... it's more likely that people would run the other way, and FAST...

#131 10 years ago

treading gently...

while jjp has caused a great amount of excitement in a small community, i'm struggling to see them making an impact on the non-pinball community... a few thousand machines, most of them seemingly sold to those who already have collections, does not make "growth"...

same deal for stern's new games...

#133 10 years ago

^^^

buying "new" machines, but you were already in the game, right?

"individual examples" of "new entrants" can be found, sure... no denying that... a few hundred new entrants isn't a resurgence though...

and that is ignoring the other side of the equation, which is the people who are either leaving the hobby or dying off...

edit: i hate sounding like a debbie downer... but i'm just not seeing any great resurgence... i wish i were...

#168 10 years ago

^^^

there's a lot of us "50 somethings" here...

#170 10 years ago

as it would be virtually impossible to set up machines identically, it's hard to envision a scenario where "online competition" would work...

the actual communication is the least of the worries, and would be very easy to do... it's far from rocket science...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-has-caused-the-resurgence-of-pinball?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.