(Topic ID: 59251)

What has caused the resurgence of pinball?

By rustybomber79

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 210 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pindan3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_1982_rare_still_by_kriegdersterne.jpg
    There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 10 years ago

Annnnd I just bought a second pinball machine.

Not bad for two weeks into owning my first

Its an obsession, its like pokemon, gotta own em all!

#202 10 years ago

I think all of the above are right - money in demographic friendly, age group with nostalgia attraction, virtual pinball esp. Farsights "accurate" repros virtually on ipad have been great (The Sharpes are marketing pinball, helping farsight play-test games, Josh and Zach are making tourneys easy to run, the PGA style points system, the PAPA style chess rating system, the PAPA circuit) all of those tourneys are generating local leagures, local leagues are feeding good coin drop at locations (owners and operators are getting a boost) - then collectors are starting to have money, new collectors = new demand.

You may see a bubble for a while on 90's williams - other 70-80s gottliebs and williams / ballys that are the nostagia rich era for 50-60ish with disposable income, are buying for themselves AND teens and grandkids. I don't know how many WOZ JJP sold just for the kids/womens interest in the theme and LCD coolness - but I've seen a ton of interest at Expo and PAPA from kids, teens and ladies that I've not seen ever for pinball as a tourney player and part-timei operator.

So its cool to play pinball again. Add a few locations that are combining beer and pinball arcades (some offer free play, with pricey beers), These beer cades are doing well - and that just adds fuel to the tourneys and home buyers.

Nice to see.

Dan

#203 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgarrett:

I think all of the above are right - money in demographic friendly, age group with nostalgia attraction, virtual pinball esp. Farsights "accurate" repros virtually on ipad have been great (The Sharpes are marketing pinball, helping farsight play-test games, Josh and Zach are making tourneys easy to run, the PGA style points system, the PAPA style chess rating system, the PAPA circuit) all of those tourneys are generating local leagures, local leagues are feeding good coin drop at locations (owners and operators are getting a boost) - then collectors are starting to have money, new collectors = new demand.
    You may see a bubble for a while on 90's williams - other 70-80s gottliebs and williams / ballys that are the nostagia rich era for 50-60ish with disposable income, are buying for themselves AND teens and grandkids. I don't know how many WOZ JJP sold just for the kids/womens interest in the theme and LCD coolness - but I've seen a ton of interest at Expo and PAPA from kids, teens and ladies that I've not seen ever for pinball as a tourney player and part-timei operator.
    So its cool to play pinball again. Add a few locations that are combining beer and pinball arcades (some offer free play, with pricey beers), These beer cades are doing well - and that just adds fuel to the tourneys and home buyers.
    Nice to see.
    Dan

AS long as locations have games that get fixed. There is a place right near me I don't play as the games don't get worked one but I go to other places that do fix the games.

#204 10 years ago

For me, the pinball feeding frenzy (or resurgence as you call it) has come about because the only way to play the games we love anymore is to buy them. And to buy them before somebody else does.

#205 10 years ago

as all ready stated by some others there is no resurgence.... very few people outside our circle/ gen public are into it. even most arcaes have less than 10% pins in them and a couple places this number is shrinking. for every pin played there is proub 1000 plus slots played.

i think were just becoming more of a nation of hoarders, pin lovers are getting bigger collections- and i guess im cool with that.

imo

#206 10 years ago

Ok, just figured I'd set the record straight. It was me. I did it. For whatever reason, people see me do something and figure it's what the "cool kids" are doin'. Yep. Posers.

#207 10 years ago

I blame all the gender changing operations.

Some people really miss playing with their balls. And have diverted their attention to pinball where they can still bat them around.

LTG : )

#208 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I blame all the gender changing operations.
    Some people really miss playing with their balls. And have diverted their attention to pinball where they can still bat them around.
    LTG : )

what tha?!? hahaha

Ok everyone conversation over. We solved the riddle.

4 months later
    #209 10 years ago

Simple .... What was once old is new again.....

#210 10 years ago

don't know why, but just glad it did! I'm having fun collecting, and visiting others that collect too!

There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-has-caused-the-resurgence-of-pinball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.