Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by robertmee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I've been going through my ball accelerator board with a multimeter testing everything. From what I can tell all the transistors are good, the capictors seem fine but I have two wonky 100k resistors. When I measure them they start out at around 50 and they slowly go up to about 65-66 and stop there. I assume that means they're bad. So if those are bad could those two tiny pieces really be the whole reason my supercharger isnt working? They seem so small and in consquential. Should I still be looking deeper?

#2 12 years ago

I would suggest lifting 1 leg and testing them out of circuit.

It's quite possible that something else in the circuit is causing the fluctuations you mention. Or, even the voltage from your meter can throw the reading off.

When a resistor fails, it either goes open (no connection) or the resistance increases. When the resistance increases, it can burn the board, or burn itself up. Modern resistors are 'flameproof', in the past that wasn't always the case!

#3 12 years ago

Interesting. Well I'm at a loss then.

#4 12 years ago

A little more detail on your supercharger problem might help diagnose it. What is/isn't working? Was it working before? The more info posted here, the better chance we have of helping you.

#5 12 years ago

Sorry. I had posted it in another thread. Ill link it.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supercharger-not-registering

#6 12 years ago

It sounds like you're measure with the power ON. Make sure your machine is OFF to measure resistance.

Resistors don't really go bad unless you physically damage them or burn them by applying too much power. In that case, they have a very unique smell. The odor is hard to describe, but you'll know something's not correct.

My thought is that your problem is elsewhere.

#7 12 years ago

Boards out of the machine so definitely not powered.

#8 12 years ago

The value change is due to a capacitor in the circuit....a meter sources a small current through the resistor measures the resultant voltage and through ohms law determines resistance. A capacitor holds additional voltage and discharges it over time. This extra voltage throws off the meters calculation. As john said lift one leg to be sure

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.50
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happens-when-a-resistor-goes-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.