(Topic ID: 118127)

What happens if you solder a coil backwards?

By mot

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Walamab
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1).jpg
    Coils.jpg
    Coilgun_animation.gif
    solenoid.png
    J127-130.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've got what feels like a very stupid question. I'm talking about solid states games, coils with a diode on the board (not on the coil). Particularly White Water. Particularly slingshots and bumpers. Not flippers.

What happens if you solder a coil backwards? By that, I mean soldering the wires to the wrong lugs.

My first thought was that the plunger would be pulled in the opposite direction, it'd clearly be wrong, and I'd need to reverse it back to how it was supposed to be. But now, I'm questioning if that's true.

I guess I'm wondering how coils work... I had been assuming that a force was applied in one direction through the coil. My thought experiment was putting a bare pop bumper plunger in a coil, and firing the coil. I hypothesized that the plunger would fire out of the coil like a little rail gun in one particular direction. Then I started wondering how AC coils work and figured my hypothesis must be wrong. My new hypothesis, I suppose, is that the plunger would be pulled to the center of the coil, so depending on where it was before firing, it could be pulled in either direction. Is that right?

Edit:
    Answer to my question: All coils pull the plunger to the center of the coil. They only pull and cannot push. If the coil does not have a diode on the coil (i.e. the diode is on the board), it does not matter which way it's wired. Thanks everyone!

Post edited by mot: Answer to my questions

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

This thread is pretty funny. A coil is simply a wire, wound from one lug to the other. The piece of wire couldn't care less which way it's connected. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH WAY YOU CONNECT THE WIRES TO A COIL *WITHOUT* A DIODE.

I admitted that I thought it was a stupid question, but I do appreciate your answer. You're one of the people I know I can trust!

I hope you can understand how this image from Wikipedia confused me. I kept thinking about the right-hand rule, too!

solenoid.pngsolenoid.png

#28 9 years ago

I still can't entirely make sense of this! Why doesn't the direction of the magnetic field matter?

#33 9 years ago

There's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

"If the current in the solenoid is now reversed, the magnetic field of the solenoid will reverse but, since the induced polarity of the plungers will also reverse, the direction of the pull on the plungers will be unchanged."

#38 9 years ago

I was using a coilgun (Gauss rifle) as part of my thought experiment, but I had misconceptions about how they worked. I incorrectly assumed that the magnetic field pushed in one direction. In reality, the projectile can only be pulled by the magnets, and precise timing is needed to pull the projectile to accelerate it, and shut off before it will cause it to decelerate.

Now that I've thought about this a bunch, I've got a better idea how the accelerator on No Fear and The Getaway work, too!

Gauss RifleGauss Rifle

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happens-if-you-solder-a-coil-backwards?tu=mot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.