Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 445 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Slayer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

uptheass.jpg
    FR.jpg
    hobbit-dwarves-poster-610x889.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 445 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 11 years ago

Yes, ok. You can still play outside your home. For as long as it lasts. Hardly a pinball in good condition to find.

Pinball in the arcades, arcades in general are history. Sad, but true.

Edit

I am so regretting i did not re enter pinball 10 years ago.... .

Edit

Haha, i think why did i ever leave the pinball scene? And i remember it. And itnhas somehow a connection with my previous posts.

Pinball was desserting the pubs, and the only place you could play was in an still going strong arcade. But..... This arcade had gambling slots too....... Somehow i ended waisting thousands of euros, dutch guldens at the time, on playing the slots every day.

I had to leave that place for my own good, and thats excactly the time i quit playing pinball.

I think now.... I could have the whole Top 25 pinball machines plus woz, predator and avengers if i saved the money i put in those damned slots, LOL!!!

#202 11 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Thank you for letting me know. I must have missed that announcement.

I'll get right on it.

LTG : )

#203 11 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

But I think he has a dilemma. In order to remain in business, he has to cater to the distributors. Those distributors that were not there in the numbers you all were. But to continue, he needs their support. How does he please the most loyal customers while having to also cater to the distributors that will buy more than one machine. He is simply not going to be able to please everyone..and in the process…make his most loyal customers …not very happy.

Jack blew it when he chose WOZ for a theme. The orders for Hobbit will be triple than those for WOZ. I know there are a lot of you that don't mind it, but the facts are many of us do mind it and in business those are lost sales and he lost a LOT of sales choosing such a them. God only knows how many sales he lost from the European market. He should have asked around before he made that choice.

#204 11 years ago

I am not angry at all. If this is the way jack thinks its the route to go, so be it.
    But, like i explaned 2 posts above, 8000 is alot of money for almost any living creature on earth.
    Spending 8000 on a machine you know nothing about but the theme is just insain if you are not one of the few very rich people around.
    This way pinball will be for only a few, and that will cost pinball hardly when those few are not around or interested anymore.

8,000 is a lot of money for a product you know nothing about other than a name and a theme of. If Jersey Jack did not do a good job of posting video of the machine's prototype, showing how it works, what all of the features are, and showing testimonials/honest surveys of people who have played it, I would never invest in him myself. But, apparently a lot of people have.

And its a good thing they have, as once they buy them, JJP will make money and become a more stable business for it. which will open the doors for more machines to be made, and give people who did not pre-order the chance to buy tables that are over-flow.

8k is not an 'insane' price to pay for a brand new pinball machine. It is a risky price to pay for a company's first effort. some people are willing to take that risk, you seem to be more upset that its a limited edition and your not willing to risk it.

#205 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

That would be better for me, but clearly he or his distributors want to get the financial ball rolling sooner than that.

Nothing is stopping the distributors from taking deposits sooner.

Distributors could ask for deposits on game #10 if they like.

#206 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thank you for letting me know. I must have missed that announcement.
    I'll get right on it.

Nice topic addon.

#207 11 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

He should have asked around before he made that choice.

Jack loves the Wizard of OZ.

It was a personal choice.

#208 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

He's probably busy with other things.
    The word getting out on Hobbit prematurely and not from him. The ensuing crap storm.
    Add in all the emails, voice mails, and phone calls. And he's knee deep in WOZ right now.
    I'm sure he planned a smoother transition with his update on Monday, and Then it went to heck before he could do anything.
    He is likely a lot busy right now trying to sort through all this.

I hear you, Lloyd. I spoke to Jack Monday on the phone and he was the same professional he's always been with me. I was impressed he took the time he did to speak with me about things. If I were in his shoes, I'm not sure I would have appeared so cool.

(for the record, I like B/W, Stern, JJP, and even old Gottlieb games)

#209 11 years ago
    Quoted from scarybeard:

8,000 is a lot of money for a product you know nothing about other than a name and a theme of. If Jersey Jack did not do a good job of posting video of the machine's prototype, showing how it works, what all of the features are, and showing testimonials/honest surveys of people who have played it, I would never invest in him myself. But, apparently a lot of people have.
    And its a good thing they have, as once they buy them, JJP will make money and become a more stable business for it. which will open the doors for more machines to be made, and give people who did not pre-order the chance to buy tables that are over-flow.
    8k is not an 'insane' price to pay for a brand new pinball machine. It is a risky price to pay for a company's first effort. some people are willing to take that risk, you seem to be more upset that its a limited edition and your not willing to risk it.

Again, i am not upset, or mad. And i dont have 8000 euros, not even halve.

I am only worried these hogh prices not only put me out of business, but in a few years, everybody.

I am not a part in what i am trying to say. Its not about me, but about pinball. And that is what my worries are for.

#210 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The word getting out on Hobbit prematurely and not from him

Even if the word got out 6 months ago about the Hobbit (which it was, nobody was surprised were they? ), that does not mean that he has to start taking money yet, with the threat that if you don't hurry up, you won't get a chance at the same serial number.

Distributors could start taking deposits any time they want to.

But Jack could have told his existing WOZ customers that he would wait for their Hobbit deposits until they received their WOZ games and were 100% satisfied. What's the hurry?

#211 11 years ago

Jack blew it when he chose WOZ for a theme

Hardly

#212 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

But Jack could have told his existing WOZ customers that he would wait for their Hobbit deposits until they received their WOZ games and were 100% satisfied. What's the hurry?

The hurry is he needs that money NOW, not next summer.

#213 11 years ago

I will wait until they appear on location then play it for a couple bucks.
    If I like it I will look for a used one down the road.

I got my FG NIB from Jack because he had one in stock and I wanted the title. I am not a huge fan of ordering or starting to pay for something that is not produced yet.

#214 11 years ago

Jack blew it when he chose WOZ for a theme

That must be why the thousand LE's went so fast.

Must have been all those non pinball WOZ fans.

#215 11 years ago

Now, now LTG. Fair to say many sold on the JJP train and hopes of Stern competetion versus love of the WOZ theme.

#216 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

I CHOOSE to get on this train because I love pinball and love what JJP has done. Doesn't make me dumb.

I'm on the train too, but I didn't do the payment plan.

#217 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Now, now LTG. Fair to say many sold on the JJP train and hopes of Stern competetion versus love of the WOZ theme.

Also fair to say WOZ is a very recognizable license here in the USA and Europe, well beyond pinball.

Many WOZ games have been sold to non pinball people.

I know I've had them search me out and come into play pinball to find out what they got themselves into.

#218 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

JJP requires you go all "Insert Polygamous Utah religion here" to enter their pinball temple. You must live a certain way of life to see the factory since they no longer offer tours (now that a few million came in).

Rather than knock on doors & preach you have to go to RGP/Pinside & defend.

Rather than a 10% tithing you have to pay $7500 every year without receiving a machine (WOZ, Hobbit).

You have to constantly chant "Production started in May, this is the gospel & I know it to be true" & "The journey is the reward" & constantly reassure the doubters you have "faith" in your leader.

Eventually people break free & buy real games that occupy space in their home. Then they write tell all books.

Living in Utah , this is some funny stuff !

Jim

#219 11 years ago

Lots of people jumped on the JJP train at the time because they were so pissed off at the quality of the Stern's games at the time having taken such a dive (playfield post supports, minimal clearcoat on the playfields, cheap artwork and toys etc) while their prices went up.
    There is a history here of why JJP fans flocked to Jack immediately. Stern saw the error of their ways without admitting it, and immediately raised the prices of their games even more when Jack announced his price. They did step up their quality a bit too, but still have not worked up the level of their quality to match the cosmetic quality of WOZ. In terms of game play, longevity etc we will not know how they compare until buyers finally start getting their games. And now JJP has announced that they will only build wide body games in the future.
    Maybe Stern's plan is to not throw money into clearcoating the cabinets etc and selling their games at a lower price than JJP and bragging about having "the best pinball game for the buck". Who knows?

#221 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

recognizable license here in the USA and Europe,

Wow, I stand corrected. All of my German and French friends don't seem to know F about WOZ but if thats the feedback so be it. Just from reading it seemed more folks here were supporters of pinball growth and quality competition than the theme itself.
    Living in the Urban environment I have many friends of alternative culture that are VERY excited for a WOZ theme : )
    Is what it is .

#222 11 years ago

Woz is known in holland. But have to find one single positive post about woz as a theme.

I can find none. They all say its a kids theme. Kids dont buy pinballmachines.....

I do read alot of, what if this had a great theme, remarks. Cause outside the negatives about the theme its almost all positive comments.

#223 11 years ago

Woz is known in holland. But have to find one single positive post about woz as a theme.

I can found none. They all say its a kids theme. Kids dont buy pinballmachines.....

Last I checked the pin is sold out.

#224 11 years ago

Source?

Edit

Just what i taught. You just made it up.

http://www.ministryofpinball.nl

Still available, as espected.

#225 11 years ago

I am very excited that it has been officially announced.
    I will likely buy this game if it looks even remotely decent.

That said until there is a track record of delivering on promises I will not secure my same number again. It is more than fair to ask for game #1 before starting to pay for game #2. He has had our money for 2 years. I will not give another cent for product #2 without seeing the quality and how much I like and enjoy product #1.

There is no gaurantee if I like WOZ that I will like TH and I could wind up hating WOZ and still love TH.

Why let him hold 8K for a year??? For the 500 in interest money ROFL give me a break.

I agree with the thread originator. There is risk in business or at least there use to be. Corporations have been putting all that risk slowly onto the consumer so they have nothing but reward. The same is true for any job working for someone else. They will use you and once done toss you like a broken screwdriver.

I really like Jack and think he is charismatic. I also like the people he chose for his team and the overall business. I did not even mind paying for a game 2 years in advance. But if I cannot play WOZ before deciding if I want my same number for TH. Then I am out for TH probably even for WOZ and will never buy from him again. If I am allowed to play my 2 year paid for game first then great I will likely preorder a 2nd and 3rd....... Keep this in mind Jack seriously

Best regards

#226 11 years ago

I can find none. They all say its a kids theme. Kids dont buy pinballmachines.....
    I do read alot of, what if this had a great theme, remarks. Cause outside the negatives about the theme its almost all positive comments.

Initially, the only reason I bought the game was because WOZ is my family's favorite movie. I seem to spend an awful lot of money on things my family likes.

Throughout this process I have gotten to know Jack and his staff and I really like them. I am not a big fan of Hobbit, but I am a fan of pinball and what I see as Jack's vision for his company so I will most likely purchase a second LE.

#227 11 years ago

LEs amigo. Regulars are still taking orders and will be a plentiful once and when shipping actually begins.

#228 11 years ago

I hope so mate. And i know online is just a small part, so you never know.

On the other hand..... I can find thousands of positive posts on acdc, so.... We will have to wait and see if woz will be a succes.

I am afraid not, but.......... I think the hobbit will explode in holland. Again, we will see.

In the end it does not mather where they sell to, a sell is a sell. Some themes will do better in europe, some better in usa. But the more they sell, the more chances we see alot more jjp machines in the future.

#229 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

He would have sold 3000 if he chose a better theme.

#230 11 years ago

Well.....after getting caught up on this interesting thread it appears that based on the comments we have probably hit the ceiling price wise on non boutique pins....7500 plus shipping is a wad of cash...

I can see why some folks are upset about the money for #2 before #1 is delivered....I do think Jack should honor people's place in line without more payments until production starts rolling.....that said, I'm still paying it and I've got another BHZA payment this month....

After this and maybe Star Trek I'm DONE......that would leave me with LOTR LE, SM, WOZ, BHZA, TH and PREDATOR and maybe Star Trek and any pin after that I buy one of those will be leaving!

50k in pinball machines no matter how much money you have seems absurd when you think about it......at least it is in my mind...

Yet I'm extremely excited about all these great pins coming!

#231 11 years ago

To keep things in perspective....let's not forget while trashing Jack that a few years ago pinball was in the toilet and Stern was cranking out a string of cheap garbage games, cutting costs and employees and maybe on the verge of going out of business....

A few years later we have JJP, a better Stern and guys like Jpop and SkitB....

Will we be back to one in two or three years?

#232 11 years ago

Really ?

Like what ?

When things are rolling he may well reach 3000 with the LE's and regulars.

#233 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Like what ?

The Hobbit...............

#234 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Pinball has been definitely been getting better and more interesting.

I hope the trend continues.

#235 11 years ago

I think the fact that WOZ hasn't been delivered, and they want your money for the second game looks an awful lot like a Ponzi scheme. Use the next round of investors to pay off the first set, and hope with all your heart that the people in round 2 don't all want refunds and ruin your cash flow. I'm not saying that is what they're doing, but I could see how one could feel that way.

#236 11 years ago

Totally agree. If the first game had been something exciting like The Hobbit, Tron, ACDC, Harry Potter, Xmen, etc; there would have been WAY more pre-orders (including me). On the other hand this might have been a good strategy to start slowly and work their way up.

#237 11 years ago

Source?
    Edit
    Just what i taught. You just made it up.
    http://www.ministryofpinball.nl
    Still available, as espected.

Sold out to distributors. Same as X-Men sold out but distributors still have them.

#238 11 years ago

Yes, ok. You can still play outside your home. For as long as it lasts. Hardly a pinball in good condition to find.
    Edit
    I am so regretting i did not re enter pinball 10 years ago.... .
    Edit
    Haha, i think why did i ever leave the pinball scene? And i remember it. And itnhas somehow a connection with my previous posts.
    Pinball was desserting the pubs, and the only place you could play was in an still going strong arcade. But..... This arcade had gambling slots too....... Somehow i ended waisting thousands of euros, dutch guldens at the time, on playing the slots every day.
    I had to leave that place for my own good, and thats excactly the time i quit playing pinball.
    I think now.... I could have the whole Top 25 pinball machines plus woz, Predator and avengers if i saved the money i put in those damned slots, LOL!!!

You can bank on Bally.... er, Barcrest.

#239 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Well, they supposedly were "pre-ordered" faster then they were produced; but how fast is "fast"? I have heard of no one who cannot get a LE. A few post here and at RGP asking if anyone would sell their spot but I don't see a weekly bump from the same person begging or offering a high premium for one. There are quite a few posters offering their slot every month.

Don't let anyone bluff that there is a long waiting list either. That could be sales puffery to suck someone in who is on the fence.

#240 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Don't let anyone bluff that there is a long waiting list either. That could be sales puffery to suck someone in who is on the fence.

No worse than one of the new game sellers who posts how each and every new pin is the best earner ever.

Of course if they said a game blew chunks, they'd have trouble selling the ones they have on hand.

Long live puffery !

#241 11 years ago

A couple of points;

Why in the world would anyone care about a game's serial number? Other than maybe one of the first few serial numbers or the very last one, who in the world cares? Did anyone ever request a certain serial number from Stern or Bally or Premier etc? Do Ford Mustang collectors try to get the same serialized VIN number on each model of vehicle?

As far as Jack needing money for expenses, you can rule out production employees because I recall him saying early on that the Elaut redemption game production employees in New Jersey will be used for JJP production. Although Jack "resigned" from Elaut, it seems he is still involved or is a silent partner. Some of these employees are the ones who build the cranes that Elaut operates/operated under Jack at Six Flags with the iPad boxes with an off-center heavy weight making them virtually impossible to win. When I read the note that "box must be brought to office UNOPENED otherwise no prize awarded" I knew there was something shady going on.

#242 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Really ?

Like what ?

Hello Kitty .

#243 11 years ago

I always admit when something doesnt earn, Iron Man was a the worst earner to date, acdc pro doesnt earn crap, but the Premium earns great.

#244 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

To keep things in perspective....let's not forget while trashing Jack that a few years ago pinball was in the toilet and Stern was cranking out a string of cheap garbage games, cutting costs and employees and maybe on the verge of going out of business....

LTG will also appreciate this as a response to his recent post quoting me.

Funny how these Stern "garbage games" always got a "Jack played it, he likes it" recommendation on the Pinball sales site. Yet, as soon as Jack broke away as a Stern distributor, he called Stern games "pieces of garbage" (video proof available). But, everyone loves and trusts him. Well, after this little Hobbit fiasco, maybe 90% of his fans still love him and some are down to a "like" status.

#245 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Funny how these Stern "garbage games" always got a "Jack played it, he likes it" recommendation on the Pinball sales site. Yet, as soon as Jack broke away as a Stern distributor, he called Stern games "pieces of garbage" (video proof available). But, everyone loves and trusts him. Well, after this little Hobbit fiasco, maybe 90% of his fans still love him and some are down to a "like" status.

Amazing how that loyalty can change quickly sometimes.

A lot of people are saying how great WOZ is and #1 has yet to be in the field or location for any amount of time for an honest evaluation or sea trials. The Titanic was bigger and better also......

Requesting your loyal customers to pony up for #2 before #1 is delivered is interesting.

#246 11 years ago

There could have been a way to satisfy the ECLEWOZ customers:
    - asking the refundable $500 deposit for the LE now, and giving them a relatively short notice to join. Non-WOZ buyers could enroll as well. Assuming the 1000+500 spots are taken, some Non-Woz would be on a waiting list.
    - For the ECLEWOZ buyers: delaying the next paiement(s) until the WOZ game is at home for 4-8 weeks - and this delay would be determined for each customer depending on its own shipping date. That way people would decide if they want to support JJP again based on hard evidence. It would also give them a fair reward over non-WOZ buyers would have to stick to the original schedule... and provide cash to JJP.

As a non ECLEWOZ buyer, I would consider this model fair.

#247 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Of course you didn't answer my question.

Jack should know, he was and still is backing warranties on Stern games he sold.

Though if it's the video I think it is, I believe he was referring to more recent pins from LOTR LE on.

So put me down on the love status.

If nothing else for the mere fact I just happened to be doing business with Pinball Sales and Jack, and Stern Pinball for the same number of years.

One company treated me right, one didn't.

My money goes to one company and not the other.

Though I hope both companies are very successful and grow.

#248 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Though I hope both companies are very successful and grow.

This is what we need, is skit-b-pin going to be a player, who knows, it would be nice to have 5-6 titles getting made per year, a little price war would be great for us, obviously none of can agree on whatever title we all like, Win-Win my friends!

Im also launching my own company- 1st title will be a rugby game- 10k payment due by this christmas

#249 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

EVERY DAY that goes by, Jack loses more money.
    That 6 million dollar pile becomes smaller every day; expenses for electricity, gas, taxes, payroll, rent, accounting, insurance, travel.... just keep rolling - they don't stop just because the game is not out.
    His expenses are about to go through the roof when he hires in his crew of factory workers and starts to train them, starts to pay SS taxes on them, starts getting OSHA inspections, paying a payroll service....

That sums it up perfectly. And if the payments for TH now help funding the finishing touches on WOZ, where will the funding for the Hobbit come from?

#250 11 years ago

And that's a problem? The 'builder' is ASKING...is there a gun to your head? Show me where it says you MUST buy The Hobbit. My actual house builder could also ask if I want another house built...I'm guessing my answer would probably be no.

All this bitching is just damn annoying...It's pretty simple. If you don't like JPP business practice ..don't buy the damn thing. I feel like I'm at my grandma's Bridge game reading this post

It can't be that terrible. I'm not sure I've seen a pinball manufacture pre-sell some 1200-1400ish machines (and yes..I'm guessing at that number)

Quoted from stangbat:

Monster_Bash said:Maybe I should demand the house be built before I give them a nickel?

The problem with this analogy is in my case is the builder is asking me to write a check for house #2 before house #1 is finished let alone I can move in.
    I see several other people thinking along the same lines as me, so I guess I'm not crazy. I will admit that I haven't made up my mind yet. If Jack had said that I could make this decision X days after I received my WOZ, I wouldn't even be posting in this thread.
    Guess I need to drink some beer and play some pinball tonight.

There are 445 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-the-real-way-of-doing-business-hobbit-le/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.