(Topic ID: 145914)

What happened to Ray's Tech Tips on Youtube?!

By pacmanretro

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-12-06_12.47.10.png
    #1 8 years ago

Just started enjoying GRC's videos recently. Went to watch one today and youtube pulled all the stuff for some supposed copyright bs!
    What's up with that!?

Anyone know if Ray has their videos posted elswhere or anything?

Ray, hope some one isnt just jerking you around... I appreciate the videos and respect the work that goes into it. it's fun and informative for many people.

#2 8 years ago

Sorry if I posted in wrong category guys...

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Just started enjoying GRC's videos recently. Went to watch one today and youtube pulled all the stuff for some supposed copyright bs!
    What's up with that!?

They might not have properly licensed the background music in their videos.

#4 8 years ago

That would stink. I understand having copyrights, but a little sample, or something in the background of a free video sure is a shame to cause all that work and info to be gone.
    If it was a lot of music and video etc and used to make a profit in return, I would understand...

#5 8 years ago

There are companies who's only job is to search each and every video for stolen content.

#6 8 years ago

There wasn't much tech on most of the video's lately anyhow .. mostly just trashing / badmouthing other companies/people and bullshitting about random stuff.

#7 8 years ago

I honestly didn't get to later episodes so I can't comment on that part...
    Most of the early episodes I saw were obviously more for begginers; but I am sure they helped a lot of people get started.

#8 8 years ago

Yea the original ones were informational but the ones in the past year or so were just as I stated earlier. Something happened with a copyright on a song the other week. Not sure why everything has been changed tho.

#9 8 years ago

If you wanna see why go to their facebook page , it explains everything and you can watch the videos there

#10 8 years ago

Honestly the younger guy that does mout of the talking/cussing really seems like he tries to intimate & manipulate Ray. Ray could do much better by getting away from that ass.

#11 8 years ago

Interesting...ill have to check it out. Thanks bigd!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Scout:

Honestly the younger guy that does mout of the talking/cussing really seems like he tries to intimate & manipulate Ray. Ray could do much better by getting away from that ass.

I agree with Scout. A solid business doesn't need to badmouth others to succeed. When it badmouths others, it questions its own integrity!

#13 8 years ago

I ENJOY those videos. Watch them at night.
    It's an unusual combination with both Ray's positive vibe fighting with Mikes negative vibes. Like a magnetic North v South Pole fight.
    I expect that both have issues not related to pinball but within the context of the hobby they allow their true feelings to come across.
    It amounts to addictive viewing and I would certainly miss their exchanges. Some pinsiders on here just don't understand the set up and therefore dismiss them as they don't fall into any of there comfort zones. Live and let live not all sheep come from the same flock.

#14 8 years ago

I love their videos too, and find it refreshing to hear someone speak their mind. I get enough phony sanitized corporate crap everywhere else. Ray seems like a super nice, low key guy and his reaction to Mikes comments is often hilarious. They're an entertaining team.

#15 8 years ago

"Pending Litigation" over background tune copyright infringement.
    Looks like Ray might need to sell some more pinup girl posters.

#17 8 years ago

ForceFlow - thanks for the link! I couldn't find it earlier for some reason...hopefully they come back strong with good tips and fun. Hoping they can put their original tip vids back up somewhere!

Andybadcats - thank you for speaking your view point of it. Seems like so many either go with the popular pc vote, or don't speak up at all...I agree, everyone is different and has different backgrounds...and tastes.

No, people/videos don't need to always badmouth, etc...but, some banter and open chat is nice too.Tips are GREAT...a small catalyst added is, admittedly, entertaining

#18 8 years ago

Just grabbed the screenshot for posterity and non-fb users.

2015-12-06_12.47.10.png2015-12-06_12.47.10.png

#19 8 years ago

Slamming my fist in the sand!

Well at least I got to see the THANKS! And my name before all got the keebash!

It is just sad.

Hope some of the good info gets put back up, as i watched for enjoyment but until you actual needed the info(pretty good) you just counted on it to be there.

Shame on all parties ( both sides ) is all I can really say!

BUT !! Wish them all the best!!

#20 8 years ago

Ray is one of the last survivors actually educated and trained to do this type of work professionally. I would pick him to fix anything over anyone else within 100+ miles. GRC is the retail side of his business, but he's not the one running it or posting things online.

#21 8 years ago

This all came about because of the juke box records for sale on eBay. The idea was to put up a daily video of a vinyl record to encourage interest in them and show the condition - a lot of which were very nice!

So pardon GRC for trying to promote a has-been pop star, they got slapped with a copyright claim because it seems the owners are more interested in earning a couple of cents off someone else's video than encouraging people to buy physical records! These douchebags are now responsible for years worth of work and some invaluable pinball knowledge being flushed down the shitter.

And yeah Ray & Mike are a great team. Nice guys who're always happy to help people out, even if on the other side of the world - and I speak from experience. The banter in their videos works so well because of their opposing personalties, but neither of them do bullshit and are straight talkers. So if you're the sensitive type who can't handle the truth, then maybe you should go watch some Disney movies or something.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from PeteB:

This all came about because of the juke box records for sale on eBay. The idea was to put up a daily video of a vinyl record to encourage interest in them and show the condition - a lot of which were very nice!
    So pardon GRC for trying to promote a has-been pop star, they got slapped with a copyright claim because it seems the owners are more interested in earning a couple of cents off someone else's video than encouraging people to buy physical records! These douchebags are now responsible for years worth of work and some invaluable pinball knowledge being flushed down the shitter.

Interesting to hear the story behind the whole situation.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

Ray is one of the last survivors actually educated and trained to do this type of work professionally. I would pick him to fix anything over anyone else within 100+ miles. GRC is the retail side of his business, but he's not the one running it or posting things online.

Nevada Gaming Schools graduate by chance?

#24 8 years ago

I enjoyed some of their earlier vids where Mike and the other guy would battle and list their top 5.

#25 8 years ago

I fear something a bit more. Something doesn't pass the smell test. I did not watch all of the 45s but do not even remember seeing a supertramp title.
    So wouldn't just that video be pulled??
    The Rays tech tips was all their own work right ?? so why would the entire you tube channel be gone. I am getting error 404. That superstars' lawyers shut everything down??
    Or just a good time to pull all and start again?? But need a new channel?? Temporary??

All this just posting the record being played?? Seems crazy.

Oh and just starting to watch the Hook video. Don't you love it when you hear a girl say VUK with atthority. Music to my ears!!

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

I agree here. Ray is the best. When I first started years ago, Ray helped me through a lot of problems. Fair priced too. Mike runs the retail side and video side and has caused many people to be turned off by his work. It's a shame, Ray is a great guy and many people, including me, don't know why Mike still
    Works there. If you need repair in eastern PA, call Ray!

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

It's a shame, Ray is a great guy and many people, including me, don't know why Mike still

Because they're a team and in business together?

Mike is great, and you won't find many (if any) people doing better shop work, not to mention he's a brilliant pinball player. At least he doesn't have to play with this hands to show how a game works, doesn't show off half repaired games with broken features he forgot to fix, and actually has them set up properly on legs as opposed to lying flat on a pin cart - like a certain other YouTube celebrity does.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from PeteB:

Because they're a team and in business together?
    Mike is great, and you won't find many (if any) people doing better shop work, not to mention he's a brilliant pinball player. At least he doesn't have to play with this hands to show how a game works, doesn't show off half repaired games with broken features he forgot to fix, and actually has them set up properly on legs as opposed to lying flat on a pin cart - like a certain other YouTube celebrity does.

O here we go a super fan lol. Lets not turn this into that please . I think both companies have their places in the market . I personally love and appreciate the "other "you tube celebrity videos . I also appreciate grc videos as well especially the gameplay ones like the new hook video where they dont get sidetracked about everything else .

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I fear something a bit more. Something doesn't pass the smell test. I did not watch all of the 45s but do not even remember seeing a supertramp title.
    So wouldn't just that video be pulled??

I'm no expert, but I believe YouTube uses a "strikes" system for violations. X number of strikes and the channel gets removed. So the implication is they had a series of complaints (valid or not), possibly all from the same source.

My understanding is YouTube doesn't worry too much about the legal definition of "fair use"--a complaint is a complaint--so Mike's story sounds legitimate. Still, probably not pragmatic to try to get justice from YouTube. Better to just edit or remove the videos with complaints, but that's not Mike's style.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

I agree here. Ray is the best. When I first started years ago, Ray helped me through a lot of problems. Fair priced too. Mike runs the retail side and video side and has caused many people to be turned off by his work. It's a shame, Ray is a great guy and many people, including me, don't know why Mike still

yes, ray is great. he needs to drop the dead weight for damn sure

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.